Ask Paradox (almost) Anything Thread (no support/tech or code questions)

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
In your opinion, which is the field of development in which the next generation of strategy games will focus its evolution?

Action/shooters/RPGs have focused in graphics and mixing genres lately. The niche of strategic games is quite different, what is going to make the future hits unique?... Historicity? Complexity? Next Generation Artificial Intelligence (I hope and bet this is the case)?

I'd like to make an EU-style game on a "Microsoft Surface" :)
Unexpected, yet very logical answer. I like :)
I imagine MS Surface to be glorious for making maps.

Is there a game made by another company you wish you would have made?

I dunno, maybe something that sold lots and lots of copies, and made its creators rich.

Do you think you will ever make a game completely different from what you've done so far?

Probably someday. Diplomacy was a radically different game.

How many times have you killed the Lich King Johan? Also I'd like to see your's main armory, but this request may make that Dragon a bit nervous.

I never killed the Lich King.. I stopped raiding really about when Ulduar got out (Hoi3 crunch ftw), and I don't play WoW actively anymore.

have you anytime think about to make a game like EU but which is containing the whole time line of hunam history like civilization eg?

Not sure it would be a good game unless you made it on the abstracted level that Civ did. And then, why make a copy of one of the greatest game-series ever made.

Reactions:
Ever started on a game and thought "actually, this is unworkable" halfway through? I'd imagine with a project so complex as building a game that could be a danger

yes, and then we reworked it. CK and Hoi2 was two such projects.

*putting on an asbestos suit*

Since the current Paradox games cover significant parts of history, are there some (perhaps still unclear) intentions to... I don't know... include other time periods? Like the barbarian kingdoms of early middle ages? Or maybe focusing specifically on some time period done in other games, but not as well as you think it can be done? (american/french revolution)

:)

When do you think that you might get more impressive offices for the Paradox HQ? Very easy to miss if you don't know where to look! :rofl:

Anyone at PI: Any chance you might make a late-Roman Empire game, dealing with the splitting of the country, the eventual fall of the West and the prospering and then decline of the Eastern half? It could even have an end date of 1453 so it fits nicely with EUIII.

It's not in the plans AFAIK, but It does not sound utterly unbelievable either. Can't say, really.

Do you like rock? If you do, could you suggest me any swedish group that sings in swedish? I've always been curious about hearing good music in foreign laguages.:p

Yes, I am a big rock/heavy metal fan. If you like Rammstein, you should try the Swedish group Raubtier.

For the veteran members of Paradox: How much related was the growth of the Company with Internet? I mean mainly, the use of GG to make your products reach consumers that the retail box couldn't reach. My first contact was with EUII, which I found in the "cheap ol' greats" section of a PC shop, when you were already developing EUIII. I still have the box, and the game was published by Ubisoft (at least in Spain). PI has grown at an exponencial rate since then, right? Since now you're publishing third party games and all that.
Sincere congratulations.

Thank you. Internet has done a lot for our growth, to be able to reach people directly has been a great advantage for us. We even had our own shop for box products previously, we are looking to re-open it, we'll see if we can manage in the middle of everything else...