• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Eärendil

Dalai Lama
36 Badges
Jul 18, 2006
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • 200k Club
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
RotW.jpg

January 1st 1836, Lhasa, Tibet
Tibet, a land which had once been a large regional power in Asia, was now nothing more than a mere shadow of its former glory. It had once stretched as far north as Mongolia and as far south as Bengal, but was now under heavy influence of both China and Britain, and had to struggle to maintain autonomy. But it was in the darkest hour that Kedrup Gyatso ascended to the golden throne and became the 11th Dalai Lama of Tibet. The new Dalai Lama was a man with visions and saw in his dreams a Tibet larger and stronger that it had ever been before.

TibetanMap.jpg

Tibet is a landlocked country, bordering many nations, both strong and weak. China and British India are two of the strongest nations in Asia and Tibet won’t have much to stand up against them at the moment. Punjab and Burma are not so strong, but still much stronger than Tibet. Nepal, Sikkim and Bhutan are small and weak nations and possible targets for an expansion if Dalai Lama so wishes. Xinjiang is a satellite of China, and a declaration of war against them will mean a war against China.

Tibet has about 3,400,000 citizens, mostly Tibetan but with a small Chinese minority. However, many Tibetans live under Chinese rule in nearby provinces, and Dalai Lama seeks to free them from their oppression. Only about 1 percent of the population knows how to read and write, and this is a serious problem for further development.

Tibetdemographics.jpg

Tibet has no techs researched and with that horrible literacy we will seriously lag behind in the tech race. This is not looking good for the future.

Tibetresearch.jpg

Despite the population being 92.5% liberal, Tibet is being ruled by a conservative party, the Court Faction. Dalai Lama has no intentions of changing this at the moment though, since the Court Faction is a pretty good party and Laissez Faire plus Free Trade would definitely kill our weak economy.

Tibetparties.jpg

The main source of income in Tibet is yak. In fact, it is our only source of income.

Tibetprovinces.jpg

Yak (cattle) is quite valuable and we would have been far worse off economically if our provinces were producing something worthless like grain or cotton.

Tibetarmy.jpg

This is the Army of Tibet. It consists of a single irregular native unit at 60% strength, under command of an unknown general named Naryan. This unit would probably die of attrition before conquering any province and even less likely win any battle. If Tibet is going to be able to expand at all, it needs a reformed army.

Next chapter: When things finally happen (sort of).

Hello and Welcome to my first AAR!

I will be playing Tibet in the VIP:R 0.1 Grand Campaign on Normal/Normal.

My goals for the game will be as following:

1. Survive
2. Civilize
3. Become a strong regional power
4. Become a great power
5. Get the #1 spot

I will limit myself to certain rules, such as avoiding using exploits like beads for Manhattan or going bankrupt to support a huge army. I will not break any peace treaties, unless for roleplaying.

I will not use any cheats, except maybe for manually firing inventions that should have fired long ago (I'm pretty sure this is a bug and not WAD).

I will try to use many screenshots to provide gameplay hints and strategies. Hopefully I will teach the readers a few things.

Anyway, I hope you all will enjoy reading this,

-Eärendil

Last edited:
Love the title! The unknown General Narayan? I expect great things of him! Great country choice I think, the minors offer a chance to flesh things out so much more I think, and Tibet is just in such an interesting situation. I suppose you have some semi-weak neighbors though a bit of militarization will be required to take some land I think. Will we see the Dalai Lama riding off to war?

Good luck Earendil! I'll keep an eye on this.

Very interesting choice of nation! I will surely be watching this one. :)

Good luck playing as Tibet! But that technological research screen is just scary... I mean, zero in everything... But no nations can stand against the victorious wisdom of the Tibetans! :D

If only you can turn those yaks into cavalry... Yak-mounted Cavalry! :rofl:

Quite a tall order. Looks fun.

Chapter 2

RotW.jpg

The first thing Dalai Lama needs to do as the new ruler of Tibet is to balance the budget.

TibetBudget.jpg

This will leave us with a small deficit, but we will probably be able to raise the taxes more once we make sure our citizens will be able to afford their everyday goods.

Pretty much the entire budget is spent on education funding and this results in that we will get a whopping 0.04 research points per month. With this rate we will finish our first tech in about 20 years.

Tibetresearchpoint.jpg

But, the education funding will also lead to an increase in the literacy of our population which will increase the research point generation in the future.

The first tech we will research is Water-wheel power.

Water-wheelpower.jpg

It will provide us a with +10% workhour efficiency which will improve our production which in turn will improve our economy. This tech is also required to be able to research the really valuable industrial techs such as Mechanical Production.

After some testing we discover that we can tax our citizens up to 75 percent with them still being able to buy all of their everyday goods. Usually, taxing the poor to 75 percent will lead to an increase in consciousness, which can be fatal to a monarchy in the long run, but we Tibetans have Buddhist monks (clergymen) in almost every province so our citizens actually lose consciousness. Never underestimate the faith people (and POPs) have in religion!

Tibetfarmers.jpg

This is the new budget which actually shows a small profit.

Tibetbudget2.jpg

Once the budget had been taken care of there was not much left to do than to sit back and wait for progress. Crime started spreading through a few of the provinces, but it did not worry Dalai Lama as this had been common in the country for a long while, and he could not afford to spend anything on crime fighting. As the months and years passed, Dalai Lama received many reports of other countries expanding their empires and it was frustrating that he did not have the strength to do the same.

In 1838 Tibet’s literacy finally reached 5 percent and the research generation rate now doubled. Of course even with this new research rate, it will still take many years before our first tech is researched.

Tibetresearchpoint2.jpg

On July 12, 1839 news came that would immediately put Tibet into danger. China tried to ban the opium trade by threatening British merchants with a death penalty unless they agreed to stop selling opium in China. Britain and British India responded with a declaration of war against China and the first Opium war had begun.

Opiumwar.jpg

Could Tibet, located in the dangerous zone between China and British India remain independent throughout the conflict?

Stay tuned for the next chapter.

asd21593 said:
alright, i'm in, very interesting...

has there ever even been a tibet aar?

As far as I know only Falconhurst have attempted a Tibetan AAR before. If you know how pretty much all of Falconhursts AARs end, then you know how that one ended. I'm not trying to replicate his results though, after all he used an older version of Vicky.

superskippy said:
Will we see the Dalai Lama riding off to war?

Maybe not in person, but yes, at some point. Although I won't give you more information.

Raden Shaka said:
Good luck playing as Tibet! But that technological research screen is just scary... I mean, zero in everything... But no nations can stand against the victorious wisdom of the Tibetans!

If only you can turn those yaks into cavalry... Yak-mounted Cavalry!

Make sure to keep your eyes open.. :)

Stnylan, sagimine1 and germanpeon: Thank you for your kind words.

Great start. Good luck! I'll be watching.

It's a nervous place to be, between Britain and China.

Do those one-province minors near you have any army at all?

If not, you know what you need to do:p

Good luck! You should promote some more Clergymen for that lovely research bonus.

Dysken said:
Good luck! You should promote some more Clergymen for that lovely research bonus.

Definitely. As an unciv, I try to have as high a proportion of my population clerks or clergymen as is possible without going bankrupt.

Chapter 3

RotW.jpg

Dalai Lama took actions immediately and discussed terms and possibilities with both sides in the war. On November 19, 1839 a treaty between British India and Tibet was signed, giving British India free military access to Tibetan territory in exchange of guaranteeing Tibetan independence throughout the war. It was with regret that Dalai Lama signed the treaty because he did not like the foreigners from a distant land who claimed superiority over the natives in India, but he realized that he had no choice if he wished to rule over an independent Tibet.

Tibetmilitaryaccess.jpg

This treaty actually turned out to be more favorable for Tibet than he had ever imagined. In the beginning of 1841 during this crisis, several eminent men of the Tibetan nobility rallied support for the country and managed to form an army worthy of the great days in the past.

Youngnobles.jpg

Tibetcavalry.jpg

This unit was quite costly however, and the Tibetan budget again showed a deficit. Dalai Lama however saw the importance of a strong army and he did not take actions to lower the army costs. He was pleased to see that he had such a strong support from the Tibetan nobility.

Tibetbudget3.jpg

With this new cavalry division, Dalai Lama had an army strong enough to compete with some of its neighbours, and he started watching his borders for possible expansions. Since British India had signed a treaty guaranteeing Tibetan independence through the Opium war, Tibet did not have to worry that Britain might intervene.

Word had reached Tibet that the kingdom of Bhutan had gone bankrupt, and with its Tibetan population it was a precious target.

Bhutan.jpg

So, on January 23, 1841, Tibet sent an official declaration of war…
to Sikkim.

Sikkimwar.jpg

How well will the new Tibetan cavalry perform in the war? Well, find out in the next chapter.

Note: British India does not guarantee my independence, but since I accepted their request of military access they are unable to declare war on me except through event, and that's why I described it the way I did in the AAR.

This can be very good for countries with strong neighbours. For example when playing Persia, usually both Russia and the UK ask for military access and by granting it you will avoid wars against them.

I was also lucky enough to get one of the best events for an unciv, because not only is the cavalry unit a strong unit, but it provides me with a full military point which will help when we try to reach the 6 military score needed to civilize.

Herbert West said:
Do those one-province minors near you have any army at all?

If not, you know what you need to do:p

Bhutan does, Sikkim doesn't. And don't worry, Dalai Lama is not a man who likes to sit back and wait.

Dysken & Cinéad IV said:
You should promote some more Clergymen for that lovely research bonus.

All will be done in the right time. At the moment the treasury is too small to afford such a thing. Other things have higher priority right now, you will see later.

Stnylan and likk9922: Thank you for your comments.

An important first step by the sounds of it. That cavalry event was very welcome.

Good job. I hope your research is going into industrial techs at the moment. You'll need mechanized production if you are going to have an economy good enough to support your efforts.