Ask Paradox (almost) Anything Thread (no support/tech or code questions)

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Releasing an official patch takes more work (building an installer vs. uploading a zip file to the forum) and must go through a QA process, have localisation translated, be sent to and uploaded by external distributers (like Steam) etc, all of which takes time and cost money which means you can't afford to do that too often. Beta patches can quickly be thrown up on the forum without any of the requirements above to give us some quick feedback so that we can continue to improve on the patch.

Exactly. Who would create an installer for something they weren't confident in!?

I was always under the impression that Captain Gars had some funny stories to share with us about installers that went no where!

I was always under the impression that Captain Gars had some funny stories to share with us about installers that went no where!

Unfortunately for you, and fortunately for me, I don't have to build installers.

Unfortunately for you, and fortunately for me, I don't have to build installers.

How is that unfortunate for me? You have no fun development stories? Like when you put a 1 instead of 0 and everything was blue!?

That's easy to answer. A beta patch is a patch the developers are not fully confident in, while they are fully confident in an official patch. Although, truth be told, even official patches often turn out to be a myriad of bugs. But still, that's the difference.

Also, I blame you for making me purchase Pride of Nations.

Pride of Nations happens to be my favorite Paradox-published game, but it is best utilized (and best appreciated) in its "un-steamed" form. I was dumb enough to get it via Steam, but clever people on this site helped me un-steam it. :D Now, my formerly Steaminated version gets updated when the devs say it could be...through beta love. :D

I also know that you love that game even if that realization hasn't occurred to you yet...so you are welcome.

Exactly right about official patches requiring further patching which caused me to wonder about the difference in the two ... But Cars however wins the virtual cookie (here you go mister: [..cookie..] ), and now I see how using external distributors (like Steam) can have some negative impact on not only the bottom-line (expense needed to use 'em) but also on game performance restrictions (eg., no patch unless in "official" format).

Captain Gars... Is that new avatar for Sengoku? Because its throwing me off seeing a new platypus flag.

Captain Gars... Is that new avatar for Sengoku? Because its throwing me off seeing a new platypus flag.

We released 50+ new great looking Sengoku avatars today - see this thread. And to celebrate that I also made one for myself ;)

We released 50+ new great looking Sengoku avatars today - see this thread. And to celebrate that I also made one for myself ;)

Gasp! Your post count is now 1 666! Also, why is there no Ulm avatar!?

Fine, I have a silly question, which makes me feel stupid, but how is everyone changing their... position? I.E, Svip has "Unpaid Ulm PR employee" there. Do you have to have been around a certain amount of time to change it. Mine has been Registered User forever:mellow: I've looked through all of the settings, and I just feel stupid now:confused:

Fine, I have a silly question, which makes me feel stupid, but how is everyone changing their... position? I.E, Svip has "Unpaid Ulm PR employee" there. Do you have to have been around a certain amount of time to change it. Mine has been Registered User forever:mellow: I've looked through all of the settings, and I just feel stupid now:confused:

You need 3000 post or been a member for a certain number of months, can't remember but it might be 18?

Gasp! Your post count is now 1 666! Also, why is there no Ulm avatar!?

Well Ulm hasn't conquered Japan yet has he?

Thanks for the answer. I guess its another 7 or so months... or post spamming MUWAHAA! :)

Actually "Registered user" is a misnomer, since what it really means is you have not completed your forum registration, but have registered games.
So you will never have the ability for a custom title until you do, you are also missing access to some functions.
Registered users have a military rank that changes based on the number of posts they have.
For instance with your post count, you would have a rank of captain.
Forum Ranks

Hi i bought europa univerals(spellcheck) 3 chronicals on steam it wont let me register the game here it let me register eu3 heir to the throne and divine wind but not the base game
See the sticky thread on that topic at the top of the EU3 forum, the first post in it has the procedure you need to follow.

Actually "Registered user" is a misnomer, since what it really means is you have not completed your forum registration, but have registered games.
So you will never have the ability for a custom title until you do, you are also missing access to some functions.
Registered users have a military rank that changes based on the number of posts they have.
For instance with your post count, you would have a rank of captain.
Forum Ranks

:eek: I'm missing something??? Uhh, Is there a specific place where I can finish my registration, or do I just have to look for whats wrong?

:eek: I'm missing something??? Uhh, Is there a specific place where I can finish my registration, or do I just have to look for whats wrong?

I think you have failed to reply to a registration confimation email.

Exactly the case. If you no longer have it, changing your password should get another one sent to you.

Exactly the case. If you no longer have it, changing your password should get another one sent to you.

Changed my password, checked to make sure my email was right... and nothing. Checked spam as well. I'm afraid it isn't being sent to me.:wacko:

jjja494,

Log out of forum.paradoxplaza.

At login, select "forgot password". Then follow the email instructions to reset password.

If you change password while remaining "logged in," the system might not change the 'rank' settings (since you'd still be logged on which could also explain why you are not getting an email ;)). I recall going through a similar situation where my 'rank in posts' were not reflecting the actual posts made.

I believe that is what I did to fix my rank error, Captain.

Last edited:
jjja494,

Log out of forum.paradoxplaza.

At login, select "forgot password". Then follow the email instructions to reset password.

If you change password while remaining "logged in," the system might not change the 'rank' settings (since you'd still be logged on which could also explain why you are not getting an email ;)). I recall going through a similar situation where my 'rank in posts' were not reflecting the actual posts made.

I believe that is what I did to fix my rank error, Captain.

Followed your instruction, and changed my password while logged out. I got the email... but I still have properly registered apparently.