Ask Paradox (almost) Anything Thread (no support/tech or code questions)

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
A Time Paradox.

It has been explained before. It happens when a Mod deletes a post, it isn't fully deleted, just invisible to the public. So you get the ghost page.

The true explanation is 'whoever wrote this message board software wasn't thinking'. Someone give me the code and I'll fix it in an hour.

And no, I am not saying 'give me access to the Paradox server', but rather the code in question (I dunno if Paradox have heavily modified their vBulletin system).

Edit: In my own amusement, I thought; perhaps I could just obtain the code myself and fix it, since it is written in PHP. Anyway, it turns out companies are still terrible at handling code and changelogs available for all to read. I'd rather read an open source project's code and changelog than this crap.

Seriously, when I realised I had to wallet up $195 for a vBulletin licence, I thought I either pirate it or better yet! I read their changelogs since 4.0.4 (since that is what these forums are running) to see if the change has been made.

I even found a thread for 4.0.5 on their official forums (and other versions down the line), but the post itself was limited in content and not a true changelog you would expect from such a public code.

Fortunately!, they had a full list of fixed bugs. Well, it was fortunate until it turns out they should have installed Bugzilla instead. Gee.

This basically killed my dreams of attempting to find whether 'ghost pages' had been fixed down the line; because let's be honest, it is a bug and moreover, it tends to ruin a lot of threads on these forums, and I am certain a quick fix (trust me, I develop for the MediaWiki project) would be appreciated by whoever runs these forums, so we can get back on track in most threads.

But I feel dirty pirating the software just for that, I dunno. I mean, I wouldn't use vBulletin myself, I'd probably just use Mailman and do it the old fashion way.

Last edited:
The true explanation is 'whoever wrote this message board software wasn't thinking'. Someone give me the code and I'll fix it in an hour.

And no, I am not saying 'give me access to the Paradox server', but rather the code in question (I dunno if Paradox have heavily modified their vBulletin system).

How about playing the demo of Sengoku and whip up some Japanese-styled Svip adventures instead? :)

How about playing the demo of Sengoku and whip up some Japanese-styled Svip adventures instead? :)

You know what; that is actually a much better idea.

Now that I have played a session, I think my comic will be about 'how I miss European politics'.

'Did we win?' 'I think so. I mean, we didn't die, did we?'

Why is Susana's Paradox avatar so much smaller than the rest, and why is Captain Gars' and Artfox's old? Just a personal preference?

Yes. I just like the old one better.

Paradox now launches Sengoku, I wonder what do you think about working around Chinese history setting, for example Three Kingdoms period?

Last edited:
I know pretty much what a "patch" is, but ignoring the nomenclature, what is the difference between a beta patch and an official patch?

For example, Pride of Nations gets some nice patch work with beta patching from this forum -- updates which vastly improves gameplay. But Steam won't release these as they are not "official" patches, leaving the Steaminites waiting and waiting and waiting for their game to be patched.

So what is the difference (beta vs official)? Why differentiate if the purpose of both is to improve gameplay and stability and correction of errors?

So what is the difference (beta vs official)? Why differentiate if the purpose of both is to improve gameplay and stability and correction of errors?

That's easy to answer. A beta patch is a patch the developers are not fully confident in, while they are fully confident in an official patch. Although, truth be told, even official patches often turn out to be a myriad of bugs. But still, that's the difference.

Also, I blame you for making me purchase Pride of Nations.

I know pretty much what a "patch" is, but ignoring the nomenclature, what is the difference between a beta patch and an official patch?

For example, Pride of Nations gets some nice patch work with beta patching from this forum -- updates which vastly improves gameplay. But Steam won't release these as they are not "official" patches, leaving the Steaminites waiting and waiting and waiting for their game to be patched.

Releasing an official patch takes more work (building an installer vs. uploading a zip file to the forum) and must go through a QA process, have localisation translated, be sent to and uploaded by external distributers (like Steam) etc, all of which takes time and cost money which means you can't afford to do that too often. Beta patches can quickly be thrown up on the forum without any of the requirements above to give us some quick feedback so that we can continue to improve on the patch.