• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

olp

Corporal
12 Badges
Aug 27, 2003
Visit site
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Deus Vult
  • Divine Wind
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria 2
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • 500k Club
Something that I always thought were sorely missing in HOI and HOI2 was a real chain of command. In real life a nations most able and highest ranking officers were in command of armygroups. However, while HOI2 introduced the HQ unit, it still made most sense for the player to place worthless generals in command of the HQ:s and put for example von Rundstedt in command of an army at the front.

This is absurd, the HQ:s effectivness should be affected by the skills of it's commander. I think that one of the things that should be prioritized in the making of HOI3 is the implementation of a proper chain of command there the HQ:s symbolize armygroups and there individual armies will be attached to a armygroup. All armies included in the group then gets a bonus depending on the skill of the commander of the HQ. How many armies that can be attached to a armygroup and on how far a distance from the HQ unit the bonus applies will also be determined depending on the skill and rank of the commander of the HQ.

You can see something quite similar to this idea in AEGODS games on the civil war and the napoleonic war, then it comes to army HQ:s. It also would be nice, but not as important IMO, if an army contained several corps, with individual commanders, and if the individual divisions in corps and armies had it's own commanders. So, what do you people think of this idea?

with 10,000 provinces having an HQ within a radius of one or two provinces takes on a whole hew meaning.

OH, and make HQ's harder for small countries to make but easier for large countries. This would simulate a more experienced military with more money to spend on HQ's.

It would be cool just to be able to create ARMY GROUPS

great idea I cannot live without

humancalculator said:
with 10,000 provinces having an HQ within a radius of one or two provinces takes on a whole hew meaning.

I read somewhere that the province system will be like in Victoria (it did not mention Victoria but resembles it). You will have regions and provinces. The regions consist out of multiple provinces and have a certain number of IC, just like in Vicky where you build factories within a region.

Who says that they will not enable a HQ to influence all units within the same region? I do support the idea that the commanding officer of an army group should influence all divisional and corps commanders. This way it will make sense the appoint a good commander to a HQ and not just give the HQ some old guard general.

I want to believe that in HOI III ,HQ as an unit will dissapear,and insted we will have formations on the ground based around leaders.Leaders as persons should allso disapear and be renamed and transformed to Headqouters of those leaders.For instance Romell wil be no longer a person in game as it is now , literaly.Instead in HOI III i believe I will have Rommel-s headqouters.Headqouters of general Rommel.

So I believe,and hope, leaders and HQ will be merged in one efective pivotal game entity.

So how this will work??

Formations will be formed depending of HQ,but here HQ will be only administrative term.No HQ as an unit.
Becouse general should be HQ!We are forgetting that General and his staf are actualy HQ!
We should have HQ screen section in which every HQ could have slots for placing units under its command.

Status of one generals HQ should should depend on generals rank(and skill)!.
For instance Mj general-s HQ could form only one division(from integral parts,brigades,that will be available in HOI III I believe).
And some Lt general could have 3 divisions on his command.He is capable to form corp level of HQ.He reprsents HQ of corp level.Tis HQ could have 3 slots for divisions.
general-HQ with say 12 slots for divisions or corps.
Von Runstedt will be for instance FM capable to form army group -representing army group HQ.Many slots for divisons, and armies.

Allso ,HQ bonuses should be only the bonuses given by skills of their leaders,not default given bonus of every HQ as we have today.

Last edited:
Vulture said:
*bounce*

Now even I am curious.

*puppy eyes*

Here another one. How long till this update?

About Leaders, if they still have skills, I think it would be more intersting that they win XP per skill when they use it.

For example, a leader who fight very often in desert will increase his Desert fox skill.
Every leader would begin game with all skills, at zero or not, whatever but the increase could be done during the game, for all of them.

That recent American Civil War game (available on Gamersgate) did the chain of commmand quite well as I remember it...the rest of the game kind of sucked, though.

liebgot said:
I want to believe that in HOI III ,HQ as an unit will dissapear,and insted we will have formations on the ground based around leaders.Leaders as persons should allso disapear and be renamed and transformed to Headqouters of those leaders.For instance Romell wil be no longer a person in game as it is now , literaly.Instead in HOI III i believe I will have Rommel-s headqouters.Headqouters of general Rommel.

So I believe,and hope, leaders and HQ will be merged in one efective pivotal game entity.

So how this will work??

Formations will be formed depending of HQ,but here HQ will be only administrative term.No HQ as an unit.
Becouse general should be HQ!We are forgetting that General and his staf are actualy HQ!
We should have HQ screen section in which every HQ could have slots for placing units under its command.

Status of one generals HQ should should depend on generals rank(and skill)!.
For instance Mj general-s HQ could form only one division(from integral parts,brigades,that will be available in HOI III I believe).
And some Lt general could have 3 divisions on his command.He is capable to form corp level of HQ.He reprsents HQ of corp level.Tis HQ could have 3 slots for divisions.
general-HQ with say 12 slots for divisions or corps.
Von Runstedt will be for instance FM capable to form army group -representing army group HQ.Many slots for divisons, and armies.

Allso ,HQ bonuses should be only the bonuses given by skills of their leaders,not default given bonus of every HQ as we have today.

Headquarters units, as I understand them, represent more than personalities - which can come and go as general die, get promoted, etc. HQs represent a level of supporting elements above division - everything from supply units to graves registration units to signal, air defense and transport elements.

Bullfrog said:
That recent American Civil War game (available on Gamersgate) did the chain of commmand quite well as I remember it...the rest of the game kind of sucked, though.
Eh? It's a fantastic game. :confused:
I can only hope some of the concepts in it are implemented in HOI3.

Looking forward to news on it.

Dr. Zoidberg said:
Eh? It's a fantastic game. :confused:
I can only hope some of the concepts in it are implemented in HOI3.

Looking forward to news on it.
For those of us unacquainted with it... could you provide a brief description of its chain of command system?

Implementing a chain of command might well be difficult, but would be a quite a selling point. imho.

Balor said:
well.. :p I can't comment on this, except that you will most likely love our update on it.
Between this and the addition of customizable divisions, I'm a happy man. God, I hope I get in on the beta testing...

liebgot said:
I want to believe that in HOI III, HQ as an unit will disappear, and instead we will have formations on the ground based around leaders.
Well, I kind of disagree on this a bit. I think the HQ units nicely symbolize concentrated logistics depots, communications hubs, transport pools, etc. The combat bonus that they give when properly commanded reflects the reality that armies concentrated their C3 in critical areas. I hope they keep HQ's.

dublish said:
Between this and the addition of customizable divisions, I'm a happy man. God, I hope I get in on the beta testing...

Here here. I plan on applying this time, a first for me :D