• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Those Europeans always ruin everything. I expect an epic victory against at least one of them by the end of this AAR. ;)

Well, depends on your definition of "epic." And "victory." And "European."

hahahha nicely owned ;-).

Hmm I thought I told you about defensive when we were discussing your first military idea group, didn't I? the idea group has some very good things, the morale boost being one of the strongest ones in the game.

One thing about morale which can be misleading is (and worth the mention), what actually morale does? It prolongs the battles. So you will be in a battle longer. What is tricky about this, since obviously the longer you hold the higher chance for win?
Well if you are in a situation when your units are outclassed (better tactics of enemy, better unit pips) the higher morale will do only one thing... even if you win, you won't like the win. It can and will incur heavy casualties.

So it's good to watch for morale in situation where you have military parity, but if you won't... morale won't save you and sometimes actually can help to kill you.

I do recall you being one of the only people to argue for defensive when I was taking NIs earlier in the AAR. EU3 habits die hard.

If there's anything else you need to know about Ukogbani, feel free to ask.

I shall, thank you!

Port Arthur reveng'd
Do not bring a katana
To a shashka fight​

One would have thought Tukhachevksy would have taught you that the Japanese are no match for the might of Russia.

a) I believe you mean prevenged and b) I dunno, a certain Chief of Staff has made relatively little headway there... *cough cough*

Well, Optimism is an Innovative idea, which I guess shows the levels of imagination needed to sustain such a notion...

That was very interesting, and more than anything has really made me want to play a Japan game myself. I like it when AARs make me feel like playing the game. I probably would have made the same choice you did, although I would also have tried to see how long the coastal forts could have held first. Imagine Russian WE skyrocketing due to attrition, it would have been ever so satisfying to see someone in Europe take a chunk out of them. If you got fleet basing rights from some Baltic minor, you could even have permanently blockaded St. Petersburg. It would have been epic... On the other hand, your WE would probably have skyrocketed too due to the occupied territory, which would have ruined your economy.

Oh, just noticed your chapter heading (for some reason always the last thing I read), it made me smile. Thank you.

And just to flog a dead horse mercilessly. In Denmark "French potatoes" usually refer to what Americans call chips, that is to say crisps, unless we just call them chips, because to be fair, American English is the variety we always hear on the TV. Meanwhile French fries are called pommesfrittes, which is just French for fried potatoes (well, apples technically), so I think everyone, not just the Americans, are a bit confused on the subject.

I'm glad you liked the title! If I had really been all that smart, I would have told Xi to jump in a lake.

That was brutal. :-(

Good job knowing when to cut and run.

Thanks! It is a valuable skill, to be sure.

I guess Russia isn't a Paper Tiger and that you didn't have the same luck as Japan did in 1905! :eek:

Also, that Portugal province just seems a bit lost up there... :p

I always forget about that Portuguese province, too, but let's not forget it's how I westernized!

You have brought shame upon yourself and your ancestors. You must commit glorious seppuku.

Attack Russia again, that'll do it! :p

That would certainly make the end of the AAR very exciting, wouldn't it?

Yeah, thought so. Still very unfortunate. Russia being able to bring over their whole army without even the Ottos doing anything is ridiculous! There would have no way to support all these troop in places where barely a person lived. Them being able to bring over their whole army is as ahistorical as the thousands of troops the Europeans bring via the sea!

Yeah, I can't help but agree. I know if I were the Ottomans, I'd be stabbing Russia in the... stomach, I guess? Something.

just wanted to add something about the military units... unlike other tech groups the Eastern tech group has pretty good military units, they are weaker a bit on the lvl 30 military tech, but in the case of you having military tech 23 and russia tech 29

your infantry was 17 pips, their infantry 20, your cavalry 18 pips, their 20. So you were really weaker

some tables to be found here http://www.eu4wiki.com/Land_units if anyone wants to check the tech progression.

that's btw why Russia/Ottomans don't really need to westernize, especially Russia since it gets tech discount from western neighbors (vassals?) and military tech 30 is like 19th century so if you want to conquer vast amount of western Europe you can do with very comparable units much earlier.

Thanks for the advice!

This is a historical lucky game and Russia is AI - no way they're still Eastern.

Actually, they are still Eastern. How, I'm not sure, but they're still Eastern. I'm playing with all default settings, so I don't know if lucky nations is on or not.

That looked very horrifying...all those stacks of Russians...and the first few battles you didn't even scratch them!!!

Definitely need to go after Korea to make the people of Japan feel a little better with an easier victory...

I'm glad somebody doesn't think the response to hitting a brick wall is bringing a larger bat.

well this part of report "This is intended to be, at best, a probing attack. A quick peek shows Russian has MIL tech 29 – to my MIL tech 23 – but I have Western units." made me believe Russia is still eastern.

If Avindian knew he was going against western units with 6 levels deficit, then... how to describe it and don't get banned? hm?

You will have problems with the same tech group and 1 level difference (since tactics, etc, etc improves each level, but there are jump points where you can afford 1 level difference), but he would go basically with 2 types of units difference!

No worries; they were definitely Eastern. Even I wouldn't have fought Russia if they were Western.

Working on the next update, BTW. Should be coming soon!

Chapter 21: There’s always a smaller fish

Well, I guess you could be krill, but those are related to barnacles, not fish. I find it humorous that the first thing the AI tells me after the Russian war is that I have the reconquest CB on them. Conquest too, since I still have a claim on one of those other provinces. The first thing I do is cancel my mission, which was to claim Liaodong. I can get it later, and I’m not that interested in picking on Shun right now. I get a bonus to Cavalry Combat Ability via event. Russia, terrified by my now certain victory in the second round, finds an alliance with Great Britain.

I take out my Russian related frustrations against Zhou.

dxzq.jpg

I won’t lie: that felt pretty awesome. Another stackwipe follows shortly thereafter. Time to work some rage out of my system. I throw 24,000 Japanese soldiers against twice the number of Zhou. Of course, Xi waits until I’m already winning to throw their army in. Jerks.

ape7.jpg

I also disband my armies in New Japan and Alaska; they were too small to be effective, but wasting valuable force limit. I also build an Earth Rampart in Kamchatka; oddly, Russia never got there. Hah hah Russia! You could have taken it for free! You’re probably tired of seeing me treat Chinese units like a Prestige Factory, so we’ll skip that part. I do get my first trade idea – Shrewd Commerce Practice, which is a nice boost to trade power across the board – 10%, in fact. I start manufacturing a claim on Pyongan, before Shun acts sneaky and grabs it. I get ADM 23 in 1774. I get my CB against Korea, and Zhou gets off with a warning this time (I really just wanted the prestige).

scir.jpg

You know what, Xi? I’ve had enough of your crap. Go ahead, honor this alliance. I dare you. I double dog dare you.

2lphq.jpg

As I predicted, I declare war and Xi can’t run away fast enough. You’re on my list now, Xi. One more false move and you’ll regret it. I also start preparing to reabsorb Majapahit by breaking our alliance. I demand conquest! Sweet, delicious, nourishing conquest! I get MIL 24 in March 1775, but any semblance of Korean forces is already gone. Still, I’ll not reject a boost to cavalry. My new mission is to make Uzbek my friend. This makes sense, since Russia has rivaled us both. Back in Europe, Burgundy reclaims the “punching bag of Europe” crown from Great Britain, giving up Cornwall, Gwynedd, and 654 ducats. Korea is absorbed into Japan.

tu26.jpg

Alaska DOWs Cherokee. Well, I have to admit, at least you’re trying. I pay off my last loan; this Trade group is pretty awesome. One idea in and I’m raking in the cash!

xsg6.jpg

Hello, Manchu! Long time no see! And what’s that tasty prize you have now?

2grg.jpg

The rebirth of Manchu will be very short but very exciting. France decides it’s time for me to test my mettle against Europeans again.

k4yq.jpg

This gets worse, since Ferrara calls in Spain, but I am quite confident that France’s army will be doing the heavy lifting. I just blockade the Spanish colonies in the Pacific and am content. Uzbek won’t be my friend, so I cancel that mission. The CB is generated. Hello, and goodbye, Manchu.

t8op.jpg

I am well aware that my OE went over 100%. It is worth it for Beijing. GB DOWs Majapahit for Imperialism. Wow, were they that scared of me? One of my vassals takes a province in our European war, and the Spanish take it back before I even notice. I get a legitimacy hit, lose one of my merchants in place and a pile of cash, but by October 1781 Beijing cores and OE problems disappear. It will take ten years for Beijing to become Shinto. Bring it on.

vqkm.jpg

So, Japan’s involvement in that war was blockading Spanish colonies. Spanish fleet never showed up. My vassals were stupid, but I don’t see how that’s my fault. I call this a win, in my book, as I faced the Europeans and was not directly responsible for the loss! France doesn’t see it as a win and breaks the alliance. Eh, where were you against Russia, France?! Nowhere, that’s where! Alaska has its most positive result against Cherokee yet!

ue32.jpg

Congratulations, Alaska! You successfully held off the onrush of Cherokee using only cannon and muskets. The AI gives me my favorite mission – insult Zhou. Then it’s time to build up some fortresses. I get MIL 25 in 1784. I get ADM 24 in 1785, and realize I’ve built no unique buildings in a long time, as I have lacked the cash. I start with a Grain Depot.

No Easter Eggs, eh, Paradox?

bdnp.jpg

Spain DOWs Majapahit (I don’t know happened with the British). I get DIP 25, good for Threedeckers. I purposefully skipped the idea boost, at least for now, for the best big ships in the game. The Iroquois westernize, and Prussia disallows wars in the HRE. Eh. I hire a new ADM advisor, an Artist. I build a Glorious Monument in Pyongyan. I get ADM 25 in 1791. I get a mission to insult Burgundy, which I do, then go back to more fortress building missions. I get 800+ gold from an event and start an Admiralty in Satsuma. My awful leader dies (yay!) putting a better in place (woo hoo!) and giving me an abysmal heir.

2cxf.jpg

You know what goes well with a new Admiralty? 5 Threedeckers!

kosg.jpg

They will be joined by many more, my friends. Many more. I get MIL 26 in October 1792. Alaska celebrates by DOWing Cherokee again. Perhaps this time, they’ll get a concession of defeat! Russia beats the snot out of the Ottomans and Crimea. You had your chance, Ottomans. I get Free Trade. I’ll explain my reasoning for where to place my new merchant; you can all tell me if I’m an idiot or not.

Here are my options:

d7hx.jpg

(The first page, anyway.) I initially sorted by overall value, but quickly realized that cash money is what matters most of all. I remembered shierholzer telling me only fools use merchants in their capital nodes. So, here is #2 by trade power/income generated.

l0pxy.jpg

Trade power, as far as I can tell, matters most for monopolies, but after that additional trade power is better spent elsewhere. Once my fleet of doom is finished, I’ll turn the remaining naval forcelimit to light ships. Majapahit gives up Bali-Lombok to Spain. I hire a new MIL advisor (for fort defense) and a new DIP advisor (reputation). I DOW Majapahit before somebody else gets a hold of them. As you might expect, victory ensues.

yafb.jpg

There’s a noble rebellion in Beijing, which is quickly and easily put down. Xi, meanwhile, probably feels a bit nervous since I just cancelled our alliance. I have fully converted to the idea that my defeat against Russia was all Xi’s fault, and thus I shall punish them harshly in the near future. We close this update with the most shocking news of all:

ko4h6.jpg

Alaska won a war!

We have one more gameplay update, followed by at least one appendix. Fret not, though, my friends, for our contest winner will have exciting news once I complete this AAR!

Nice! In my game I finally relocated my capital to malaysia to send all the Chinese+Phillipines+Mexican+Japanese+Australian trade there, profiting from upstream bonuses and gaining money big time. Where exactly did you send your merchants and what are they doing? I can't really see it in your pictures.

Nice! In my game I finally relocated my capital to malaysia to send all the Chinese+Phillipines+Mexican+Japanese+Australian trade there, profiting from upstream bonuses and gaining money big time. Where exactly did you send your merchants and what are they doing? I can't really see it in your pictures.

They're all collecting -- one is in Canton, I'm sending one to the Philippines, and the third is going to Mallaca.

That Alaska win was just incredible! (anyway I do not understand how that AI could keep declaring war if they could not win). Maybe it should not be classified as a real update if they do not loose a war?

Finally, after hundreds of years, you wiped Korea off the map. Well done, sir.

Why don't you try picking on somebody your own size! :p Oh wait...the last time that happened it didn't end too well, although I suppose Russia saw you as a "small fish" anyways since everyone is small compared to that giant.

Alaska won a war, I think you just made everyone who lives in Alaska proud now!

It's very satisfying to see Korea finally annexed. Japan is the master of East Asia!

Well you came out of a war with Europeans unscathed. Sounds like a victory to me. ;)

Great job on dealing with Zhou and annexing your long-time enemies. Now Japan can claim to be the true lords of East Asia! (Not to be confused with Eastasia, that's a completely different thing.)

Finally rid of that pesky blue color.

Not surprised another of your emperors went mad just by looking at that sea of Russians in the mainland :eek:

I just thought Alaska and Cherokee were solving their differences in a civilised manner, maybe through a Dota 2 best-of-five matches :D

That Alaska win was just incredible! (anyway I do not understand how that AI could keep declaring war if they could not win). Maybe it should not be classified as a real update if they do not loose a war?

First it was "not a real update if Japanese ships aren't sunk." Now "not a real update if Alaska doesn't lose a war." They're all real updates, my friend. :)

Nice to see you get that last bit of Korea, even if it was so close to the end.

It did have a nice feeling of catharsis.

"There's always a smaller fish"
Smaller fish, and by the sounds of it, bigger fish to fry.

Possibly!

Finally, after hundreds of years, you wiped Korea off the map. Well done, sir.

I read that in a super-sarcastic tone of voice. I don't know why.

Why don't you try picking on somebody your own size! :p Oh wait...the last time that happened it didn't end too well, although I suppose Russia saw you as a "small fish" anyways since everyone is small compared to that giant.

Alaska won a war, I think you just made everyone who lives in Alaska proud now!

I certainly hope so! And hey, Japan is smaller than Zhou, if you only count the Home Islands.

It's very satisfying to see Korea finally annexed. Japan is the master of East Asia!

Well you came out of a war with Europeans unscathed. Sounds like a victory to me. ;)

That's my argument!

Great job on dealing with Zhou and annexing your long-time enemies. Now Japan can claim to be the true lords of East Asia! (Not to be confused with Eastasia, that's a completely different thing.)

Well, we've always been claiming that.

Finally rid of that pesky blue color.

It does make the map nicer!

Not surprised another of your emperors went mad just by looking at that sea of Russians in the mainland :eek:

I just thought Alaska and Cherokee were solving their differences in a civilised manner, maybe through a Dota 2 best-of-five matches :D

I have never played Dota. I'm not a pure FPS guy, to be honest, and Call of Duty: Black Ops stomped out any love for the genre that may have been left. Bioshock, yes. Deus Ex series, you're damn straight. (Yes, technically, Human Revolution was a TPS, but the first two were FPS.) But I need more than just "super realistic FPS!" to get my attention. That's just how I roll.

We'll have the final gameplay update tonight, with the appendix (either part 1 or the entire thing) beginning on Monday.

Chapter 22: WAM! Knife in the back!

This is it, ladies and gentlemen. The final gameplay update of this AAR. We will have an appendix with all sorts of lovely data – possibly two – and then a post in which I share what I’ve learned, because learning is fun!

As one example, behold the ultimate incarnation of the Japanese army:

5cff.jpg

It doesn’t have a leader, but has (as far as I can tell) the perfect balance of cavalry, infantry, and artillery, gives me the round number I crave in my strategy games, and is divisible into two armies. As a comparison, the only Russian army I can see is 38,000/17,000/7,000. So, I’d still get destroyed by it, but I’d look stylish doing so.

I finish building another fort and get a mission to improve relations with Makassar. Then, we begin the schizophrenic shifting of Russian attitudes towards Japan – it’s either neutral or rivalry, and changes every time I click! Sadly, no amount of clicking makes them friendly. With the huge Russian armies, full of brave soldiers eager to die for their country, and Japan’s mighty navy and willingness to let Russian armies die for their country, the world would tremble. Unfortunately, this is only a dream, a beautiful dream. I get MIL 27 in October 1797. I unlocked Merchant Adventures (a boost to trade range), but I still can’t quite reach Mexico. Pity.

Here comes the knife in the back!

837yj.jpg

Rationalization is complete. The sole reason for my defeat at the hands of Russia is Xi. Therefore, if I defeat them in a glorious war, I have, by the transitive property of history (which is a real thing that I did not just invent), avenged my defeat at the hands of Russia.

The AI approves of my treachery!

9lf8.jpg

My new mission is to absorb Majapahit into my country. It keeps giving me missions to attack Russia and get Sanxing back. I start fabricating a claim on Hebei. Said war begins 31 January 1800. 7 trade ships from Xi take an up close and personal tour of the bottom of the Yellow Sea and Korea Bay. I get a bonus to Trade Efficiency from the next trade idea and a couple thousand ducats from an event. I also make Xi humble, Iron Sheik style.

6dbm8.jpg

With ADM 26, I get a new group of ideas. It’s too late for Innovative to have much impact, so I decide to take another set of military ideas.

mxii.jpg

Many more glorious (and one-sided) battles later, Japan clutches her new provinces.

ovdm.jpg

I get the +1 to tradition defensive idea, Mongol Khanate thinks it’s safe to declare independence. They were wrong.

qks6.jpg

Alaska, inspired by my recent greatness, takes on another colonial neighbor.

gzgg.jpg

I don’t get called in, which is good, because I kind of don’t want to fight Burgundy. I want more easy victories to build up my confidence. Russia pretty much destroys Uzbek because it can. Oh, Uzbek. This is what your coalition brought upon you. Another Trade Idea gives me a new merchant. Here’s where I’m sending him.

r697.jpg

I’ll bump Russia out of the monopoly spot momentarily; I had just dispatched my mighty trade fleet there and the AI hasn’t registered yet. Next up, we start annexing Majapahit.

lum9.jpg

I get Military Drill in 1806, so if there’s a war with Russia again, we’ll be in better shape, I think. I start using the extra income from Trade to build more lightships. My force limit is 257, and I have 199 ships as of 31 January 1807. I hire a +2 advisor to help with my religious conversions; I’d like to get as close to 100% Shinto by the end of the game as possible. This is what my new trade fleet gives me, incidentally:

v5h1.jpg

With Russia’s embargo and land dominance, I can’t really get into Beijing; if I were to rival Russia, I could embargo them and probably take dominance over Hangzhou, but I could also just build more ships without risking prodding the bear. We’ll do that. I put in a claim on another province of Xi, pick up another trade idea (for Trade Steering), a Defensive idea (+1 siege), and convert Beijing to Shinto. Oh, and Alaska totally owns New Burgundy.

r64z6.jpg

Transitive property of history again! I made Alaska a colony, Alaska beat New Burgundy, a colony of Burgundy, therefore I beat Burgundy.

oprf.jpg

There’s Alaska. We’ll see New Japan and more maps in a forthcoming appendix. My awful ruler takes over (0/2/2) but I have an awesome heir forthcoming! Of course, this means nigh immortality for Yoshiharu I.

amce.jpg

I successful annex Majapahit, get a mission to RM Makassar (done!), after which I vassalize them.

zinn.jpg

Xi is DOWed once again and beaten to a bloody pulp. Xi gives up some more land.

wsze.jpg

New mission is to annex the Mongol Khanate. This, probably won’t happen before the end of the game, though.

u0ahz.jpg

I do, in fact, get the more awesome leader. This is good enough to let me finish out the trade group, Establish a House of Trade, and pass the Merchant Shipping Act (not to mention the bonus merchant for finishing the group). I send one to Beijing and one to Mexico. I get Regimental System (helps me save cash by paying less in maintenance) and build a Royal Palace (because why not?)

The last significant event is acquiring the “Defensive Mentality” idea. And, we reach 1 January 1821.

Tomorrow (I promise), I’ll post Appendix part 1, Appendix part 2 (if there is a part 2) on Wednesday, and then I’ll announce the winner of the contest, who will in turn announce my next AAR.

It seems to me like Alaska waited on the end to show it's real powers. Also you can state that you did defeat an european power, atleast indirectly as your CN (after getting destroyed by natives) won over Burgundy! A nice paradox there in my opinion. :D

Also, everything that is good has to come to an end, even if it feels like it was yesterday that I started subscribing to this AAR.

Nicely finished. I'd suggest you convert to V2, but random new world makes that a lot of work.

A great end to a great AAR. You totally crushed all your fellow Asian neighbours.

I would agree that Alaska's victory is also your victory. It's like seeing your kid beat up the kid of the old bully from your high school. :p

The end is now here
The last Japanese ship sinks
Who can we mock now?​