• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

djconklin

Lt. General
40 Badges
Dec 31, 2002
Visit site
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • 500k Club
  • Pride of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For The Glory
  • Darkest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria 2
Vicky 2 is fun to play, but there's always room for improvement.

1) Do away with daily turns and change to, say, weekly. This is a strategic game, not a grand tactical one.

2) Window it--with a link to the Wiki under the help button.

3) Given some of the problems I've seen with the time it takes to build factories, RR's etc. cut the time involved by a factor of ab't 4.

4) Allow us to buy a license to technology. Not the best example, but: the Russians were approached by an Austrian with the idea of building the first railroad in 1836 and they started working on it that year.

5) Not sure if this one is in the game already: the country should be making money from the building of railroads. The Russians were making a bundle even during the Crimean war.

6) Option in the dip screen to not accept any offers to be an ally with another power--saves us having to check what each new message says.

Hm, a lot of those things are currently present in some way or another.

1) Do away with daily turns and change to, say, weekly. This is a strategic game, not a grand tactical one.
Paradox games are Grand Strategy games, if that counts for anything. Daily turns are just fine as they are.

2) Window it--with a link to the Wiki under the help button.
You can window the game.

3) Given some of the problems I've seen with the time it takes to build factories, RR's etc. cut the time involved by a factor of ab't 4.
What problems?

5) Not sure if this one is in the game already: the country should be making money from the building of railroads. The Russians were making a bundle even during the Crimean war.
Railroads improve the efficiency of your RGOs, so indirectly, you're making money.

Things I'd like for Vic3 would be local markets, some sort of transportation cost for goods, and an overhauled combat and naval system: something between Vic2 and HoI.

well i find it dum for a nation to discover electricity and then having its neighbours being 10 technologies before.migrations should increasse techs.or buy them??? also a better alliances system.it just seems kinda randoom (still 99999999999999999999999999999999999999999999 times better than the TW one)
maybe trade embargoes?and a different revolution system,let us say im playing as krakow and have colonized tunis,then rebels start occupying tunis,how will they come to krakow to enforce their demands ???? (or greeks rebels in crete,italians in sardinia,UK ones in india?)

I already mentioned this in the "paradox did a good job" thread but I would LOVE to see some of the superficial features that make, say, EU3 more immersive added to V2. Things like ruler names, province histories, player nation histories...just the little touches that my non-computer savvy mind believes wouldn't take TOO much work or hard drive space really draw me in, even when littered with continuity and grammar errors;)

That isn't really a massive change- it would probably improve computing speed, but it doesn't really alter the gameplay. It would make the game less tedious, which is a good thing.

Victoria 2-> Common -> buildings

You can alter the current build speed yourself. Factories are 720 or 365, railroads are 720 and bases and forts are ~1020. Changing the factories build time alters the game (it make laizze faire more powerful and it makes China better), but changing railroad construction speed to 1 day shouldn't have any game effects except making the lag between building and gaining money shorter.

4) Allow us to buy a license to technology. Not the best example, but: the Russians were approached by an Austrian with the idea of building the first railroad in 1836 and they started working on it that year.

That will never be in game. It would allow backward nations to work significantly above their weight-level. A better approach would be to let great power allow other great powers to invest in them and factories built by investment to work according to the technology of their builders. Maybe make technologies cheaper if the country that sphered you already has it and make techs cheaper for everyone the more nations have researched it.

6) Option in the dip screen to not accept any offers to be an ally with another power--saves us having to check what each new message says.

That would be nice. The best I have to fill that gap is you can alter at what relationship level the AI spams alliance offers. It is under common=-> defines at the very bottom.

Fixing combat/sieging provinces/naval combat would go a long way in making this the greatest game ever made.

This. A thousand times this. I simply use yesmen whenever I have a high warscore and military power because going thorugh the actual warfare is too tedius. Make the warfare more involved or more abstracted, I don't care, but it stands out as the most tedious part of a game that is already very tedious.

Someone suggested that naval warfare be entirely abstracted- you build naval bases and set funding and this controls your fleet size and you can either order your fleet to control a sea territory. The effects depend on how many ships you have versus how many your enemy has and wheter your fleet is for raiding, grand battle or destroyer. Battleships kill everything, raiders are good at interdicting troops and imports and destroyers are good at surpressing raiders and working uncontested blockade. Control of the sea is need to move troops (no transports- number movable dependent upon naval tech) and recieve imports and the tighter the blockade around a nation the less able it is to do either.

Perhaps add organized to go with unorganized revolutions, because going from province to province mopping up one brigade rebels is easier than fighting various guerrilla armies in strategic positions. Only tiny or already broken countries fear revolution right now. edit: and the US

Last edited:
Maybe a way so exiting game menu thing you can see how many soldiers have died fighting in all the wars up to that point. And maybe a breakdown for each war?

Having a system for wages (rather than the crazy profit sharing system atm) would do wonders for economic balancing, and capitalists should be made to behave rationally, maximising profit at the margin (eg not overproducing to dump excess products into the sea); and allocating investment to the industries with the highest returns.

A more detailed picture of social development/urbanisation etc than the current lit/tech system would be great too, but its a bit more complex to implement.

World trade based on price rather than prestige.

Things I'd like for Vic3 would be local markets, some sort of transportation cost for goods...

+1 unchallenged nr. one wish: regional markets and actual trade

demand and supply (for work as well) based on price only

Last edited:
Having a system for wages (rather than the crazy profit sharing system atm) would do wonders for economic balancing, and capitalists should be made to behave rationally, maximising profit at the margin (eg not overproducing to dump excess products into the sea); and allocating investment to the industries with the highest returns.

A more detailed picture of social development/urbanisation etc than the current lit/tech system would be great too, but its a bit more complex to implement.
Sounds interesting, I think it could greatly enhance the debt of the game.
As for urbanisation, I think the game would benefit from cities. By that I mean some sort of seperate province type inside the larger provinces. In 1836 there should be few of those, like the capital and the center of large provinces, but as the country industrialised the country should get more and more cities, sentered around RGOs needed to run a factory like coal etc, or ports etc.
These cities should attract a lot more internal immigration than the other provinces, and should also lead to internal migration in the province they appear.
Then after some time, when the city has grown sufficiently it should get a penalty because of urban sprawl, leading to lower population growth and less migrating to it, and more emigration to other cities. This will prevent one massive city developing.

Maybe a Russian Revolution starting date would be good, we've got an ACW one it'd be nice to have an event chain for the Russian Civil War too

Maybe a Russian Revolution starting date would be good, we've got an ACW one it'd be nice to have an event chain for the Russian Civil War too
I don't think the Russian Revolution should be event based. For it to happen you need: 1: Misrule by the Tsar. 2: WW1 3: Lenin sent to Russia. All of wich could happen in a very much different way in any game. In any Victoria 2 game, Russia could be a Democracy in 1880, Germany could be a Proletarian Dicatorship, Austria Hungary could be dissolved etc. So any eventbased WW1 and Russian Revolution would not fit the game, unless the startdate is 1914.

Unless I'm just missing it I would like a page in the ledger that displays all my CBs against other countries and maybe even a those held against me.

Also internal trade would be really nice. If the Railway Tycoon games could do it...

Stop capitalists being retards. Stop building Arty factories that I keep having to close guys! Just look at the resources and materials I have! Please?!

Maybe changing country map color depending on government type and party type?