• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Glossary

adiuva - 'help', 'aid me'
aedes - Roman temple
amicus - friend
amphorae – pottery jar used to hold liquids such as wine
angon - barbarian throwing spear
appropinquateapproach, command for a unit to advance
arcus - Roman shortbow
AUCab urbe condita, from the founding of the city of Rome (traditionally regarded as 753BCE), or anno urbis conditae, in the year from the founding of the city of Rome. Roman form of dating years
ave - 'hail', traditional Roman form of greeting
auxilia – ‘auxiliaries’, supporting troops utilized as garrisons as well as to bolster Roman field armies
bandon – ‘band’, used to refer to a small unit of late Roman cavalrymen, from five to ten troopers
bireme – light warship of antiquity with two banks of rowers
bucellarii – household troops or forces of private retainers typically beholden to he who recruited them rather than to the empire
bebra - barbarian throwing spear
celerior – ‘accelerate’, ‘move faster’
Classis Praetoria Ravennatis – the Roman fleet based in the Adriatic, typically at Ravenna or Aquileia
Comes – ‘Count’, late Roman provincial commander in charge of cavalry
Comes rei Militaris - 'Count of Military Affairs', military commander of a province
comitium - the Republican political center of activity in the Forum Romanum, later paved and left unused
comitatenses – late Roman field army, referring to infantry in general
Comite Vexillum – ‘flag company’ used as an expression for the elite company of a force of cavalry
comites – ‘companions’, used for elite late Roman cavalrymen
criminii – ‘bandits’ or ‘brigands’
de facto – ‘in fact’ or ‘in practice’, referring to something that exists in practice as opposed to in principle
de jure – ‘based on law’, referring to something that exists in principle as opposed to in practice
Decurio – cavalry officer, typically commanding ten to thirty troopers in the late Roman army
domesticorum – units of the Imperial Guard during the late Empire
Domestikos - title and form of address for the Praetorian Prefect in the Eastern court
dum inter hominess sumus, colamus humanitatem – ‘as long as we are among humans, let us be humane’, Seneca
Dux – ‘Duke’, late Roman provincial commander in command of infantry, also used to refer to civil governor of territory subordinate to the emperor
Ego pater sum, et tu filius es – ‘I am the father and you are the son’
epibata – late Roman marine
equites – Roman cavalrymen
eugenes - 'well-born', the aristocracry of the eastern empire
fabricae - Roman factories which built military equipment
falxe - barbarian battleaxe, typically one-handed
fleuhanan – ancient Germanic for ‘flee’
foedarii – Roman ‘allies’, who provided contingents of auxiliary troops which fought with Roman armies
frameae - small lance used by tribes such as the Goths
francisca - barbarian throwing axe
fugi – ‘flee’
hasta – Roman spear used in early Republican as well as late Imperial armies
honestiores – the wealthier classes of the Empire
humiliores – the poorer classes of the Empire
Imperator mortuus est – ‘The Emperor is dead’
Ita vero - 'in truth', 'indeed', 'quite'
ite – ‘pass through’ or ‘move along’
irrumator – bastard, used as a curse
Isauria - isolated region in southern Asia Minor
latifundia – vast farming estates, typically dependent on slave labor
legatus - subordinate commander
leuge – leagues, a measure of distance equivalent to three miles
limitanei – frontier or static troops of the late Roman army, typically established in garrisons along the boundaries of the Empire
Magister Equitum – ‘Master of Horses’, the top cavalry commander in the late Roman army, east or west
Magister Militum – ‘Master of Soldiers’, one of the top military commanders in the east or west, typically in command of the infantry. In the west, he became a sort of king-maker for the weaker emperors
Magister Officiorum - 'Master of Offices', senior imperial bureaucrat, supervises imperial administration
Mare Hadriaticum – Adriatic Sea
medicus – medical officer, medic
notarius – ‘secretary’, ‘aide-de-camp’
Ordinarius - late Roman centurion
palatina – soldiers of the late Roman field army, elite guardsmen
paterfamilias – the male head of a family or clan, traditionally endowed with great powers over his relative, including life and death
Patrician – a title which, in the late Roman west, denoted one who held the power behind the throne; usually but not always linked with the Magister Militum
praefectus equitium – late Roman cavalry commander
praestiti – ‘diligent ones’, referring to a Senate faction opposed to Odoacer
Praetorium - command tent
primicerius – late Roman officer, senior centurion
princeps – prince, one of the earliest forms referring to the Roman emperor
protectorii - staff officers
pugio – late Roman dagger
quadriga - four-horsed chariot
sagitarii - Roman horse-archers
scriniarius – administrative official, clerk
semispatha - cavalry shortsword
senatus consultum – used to refer to a non-binding resolution passed by the late Roman Senate
silentiarii - imperial ushers of the Byzantine court
solidi – Roman coin worth 12 denarii
spatha – sword used in late Roman armies, longer than the traditional gladius
stadia – a measure of height equivalent to 625 Roman feet (607 ft., 9 in.)
subsisto – ‘halt’, ‘hold’
tabernaculum – command tent, main tent
templum - Roman temple
tertium - the third
Trajaneum – vast market in Rome constructed during the reign of Trajan
tribunus liburnarum – late Roman naval officer, tribune in charge of ships
triremis – standard warship of antiquity with three banks of rowers
tunica - clothing adopted by late Romans in place of the toga, having a longer hem and longer sleeves, eventually worn with trousers introduced by the barbarians and a half-circle cape
urbanii – used to refer to local garrison troops or a form of policemen
vaticanus collis - the Vatican Hill, upon which St. Peter's basilica was built in the 5th century
ventus - wind
veruta – late Roman javelin
Via Principalis – the main roadway of a typical Roman military camp
visne saltare - would you care to dance?

Last edited:
eagles904qe.jpg

January – April 482

The early months of 482 proved to be the utmost straining point on Odoacer’s relationship with his army. The many economic, political, and military problems were beginning to coincide and force the greatest crisis of his five-year rule. Politically, he had all but exhausted the goodwill of the Senate. This body as well as many city magistrates were openly grumbling at his handling of the post-Imperial government, a situation exacerbated by the absence of a strong military presence in those cities and towns. In his third submission to invading tribesmen, this time the Burgundians, Odoacer ceded control of the remaining Alpine lands in Rhaetia to King Gundobad and his army. As a military commander, the ruler of Italia only added to a stinging record of defeat in an age in which generalship above all else secured one’s power.

eagles862xy.jpg

Potential allies appeared to be keeping their distance or seeking opportunities of their own. Emperor Zeno was embroiled in Dalmatia and appeared to be awaiting Odoacer’s fate on his own merits, ready to exploit either result. The Western tribes – those that hadn’t invaded or intimidated Italia into concessions – were likewise reluctant to throw in with the Patrician’s cause, content with wars of their own and like Zeno, awaiting the outcome before they intervened. His sporadic bickering with the Church in Rome was preventing any real alliances with this influential authority. By the early spring, Pope Simplicius was sensing opportunity in the election dispute and refused to treat openly with Odoacer without full concessions to his position. Everywhere Odoacer turned, his options were running out. The great Romano-barbarian experiment in Italia appeared to be on its last legs.

remus8ud.jpg

One of the earliest known busts of Remus Macrinus

Enter a most ordinary military officer, Remus Macrinus. A relatively low-ranking cavalry decurio, Remus has frequently been described as some as a vestige of the traditional Roman officer corps, in the manner perhaps of Aetius or Stilcho. He was a mid-level career Roman officer who had served with distinction under many of the shadow emperors in the west as well as during the fall of Orestes. Little is known of his actions between 476 and the early 480s, though scarce sources seem to indicate that he might have flirted with the ambitions of the exiles, Julius Nepos and Glycerius. By 482, he was struggling to survive in southern Italia, one of few criminii commanders to survive the suppressive campaigns of Claudius in that region.

eagles874nd.jpg

In April, while Odoacer’s army struggled to regain control of Venetia, a dangerous soldiers’ revolt broke out in Campania under the command of Remus Macrinus, who it appears now held the higher rank of praefectus equitus, derived perhaps from his dealings with Nepos. Indeed, Remus has been linked with all three of the exiles, attempting alliances with each with varying degrees of success.

eagles897tc.jpg

By 482, with Nepos assassinated and Glycerius cut down, he seems to have turned to his final option, the young Romulus Augustulus, removed from the throne six years prior. Holding dubious authority from Nepos, and apparently secretive meetings with the exiled Augustulus, Remus raised his standard of revolt at a surprisingly fortuitous time. Odoacer had once again ceded territory to invading barbarians and was campaigning in the north against General Ovida. The low troop levels in southern Italia helped him establish an early base of strength and plan his moves carefully. Unlike the earlier series of revolts against Odoacer’s authority, this had imperial backing as well as a significant political and military vacuum in which to fester and grow. It was Odoacer’s greatest crisis.

eagles880qz.jpg

Last edited:
Event said:
Who is this little dog of a man?

Well, I suppose better a little dog than a little cow... :D

So Remus enters into the game so to speak. Very cool Mett! I look forward to the next narrative style update, so we can follow his thoughts. :)

I'll echo cthulhu's words and say that it's great how you've had the two threads, the historical and the story, weaved together in this last post. Slowly, ever so slowly, Remus's importance has grown until finally, he's important enough to be represented in game! :cool:

<standing ovations>

Now, let's kick this stinking barbarian of the throne and clothe Romulus II, Augustus, Ceasar and Imperator, in the Imperial purple!

Last edited:
I'd go for Remus I, as the next true emperor. Prolly Romulus will be assasinated by Odoacer on his last legs.

But good to see Remus having a real impact :D

Ahh, history catches up with Remus. Excellent.

Good to have you back, Mett. I was wondering where you got off to. Hope things have calmed down.

My guess is that Odoacer will get intimately familiar with this Remus character soon enough. ;)

It feels kinda strange to read the 'historybook' entries about Remus, who we've known as a flesh and blood character before. But it has to be a good sign: if he manages to make it into the history books, it must mean at least a fair amount of success (of course, I'm banking rather strongly on "extravagant amount of success", or else the AAR wouldn't be much fun in the near future... But let's not get ahead of ourselves here, right?).

Let's see some provinces turn 'Roman' once more!

Great to have you back posting Mett :) This was a nice little update, and it is cool to see Remus enter into the game through event, now he really makes an impact on history, and it will be great reading more to know what will happen next and how this will all end :D

Nice update, Mett, glad to see you back in the saddle again!

As for Odoacer's little comment, he best be careful lest "...this dog of a man..." come out and take ahold of his neck like a pit bull and wring it for all it's worth, eh? :cool:

Avernite said:
I'd go for Remus I, as the next true emperor. Prolly Romulus will be assasinated by Odoacer on his last legs.

But good to see Remus having a real impact :D

I agree with Avernite here. It'd be very interesting to see Remus ascend. I think he may be the only one who still believes in the dream for its sake, rather than (like Romulus) a means to secure his power base.

Have we lost you again, Mett? We must know what Remus is up to...please. :)

I am also eager to see how your story progresses, return to us soon. :D

My apologies. I've been busy with work, especially my new promotion, that I've had little enough time for my demi-modly duties, to say nothing of my writing. I still have every intention of resuming soon, and not a day goes by when my brain isn't mulling over storylines. :)

Congratulations, Mettermrck, on your promotion!

I shall await, with the others, for when you can resume.

Just so long as Elvis hasn't left the building! ;)

Rensslaer

i have to say, with the upcoming release of rome:barbarian invasion, we can look forward to some spiffy screenies of battle scenes ;)

yum yum, late empire roman army uniforms are a wicked cross between antiquity and medieval outfits. Romans! forward!!!