• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Lofman

Safe One
33 Badges
Mar 14, 2002
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Rome Gold
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Magicka
  • Stellaris
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Age of Wonders
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Cities in Motion
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Deus Vult
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II
Lofman's Mod (or just Lofmod)
Not really Lofman's "Little" Mod anymore

Thought I should update this first post to better describe what this mod is, so here it comes:

The main purpose of this mod is to alter things I find annoying etc. While I do it mostly for myself, it is not like anyone else can't enjoy it as well, which is why I have uploaded it here rather then just have it for myself. I try to keep history in mind, but there are undoubtly some mistakes (and some alterations have more to do with balance then accuracy, though still there should be some sort historical reason somewhere (some resources does after all give the possibility to train different type of troops, and some country probably should have access to one troop type, even though they historically speaking maybe shouldn't have the resource in question)). Note that any historical accuracy with regards the flags for the new countries tend to have more to do with coincidence then design.

If you find something you like and want to use in your own mod, go ahead.

What does this mod do?:
-The most obvious thing would be that it adds a number of countries. Mostly tribal ones.
-Most tribal countries are stronger then in vanilla (higher pop and higher civ-value), a fair number of them are capable of expanding through colonization.
-Warfare modifiers for most cultures. It might be a good idea to see if you have one and what it does when selecting your first national ideas. Inspired by the (probably better balanced) ones Djack have in Tribes&Empires
-New culture group for the Numidians (so they will not use Egyptian names).
-Macedonian given its own culture group, this one is one of those balance things, Macedonia won't have it as easy getting all of Greece to pay tribute. (no longer included in recent versions)
-Pyrrhos slightly tougher, he gets more troops and start with control of Magna Graecia (rather then having a weak ally there), he still tends to get beaten though.
-Macedonia will face a Galatian invasion at the start. Tylis acts not only as the Galatians in Tylis but also those that invaded Greece, since they get a sizeable army they are not quite as easy to deal with as Macedonia as one might initially suspect.
-Galatia is made to appear early.
-Different tradegoods in some provinces.
-A number of provinces (such as Syracuse and Damascus) given larger population.
-Events that make Anatolia and Caucasus harder to hold (if one have low stability and especially if also in civil war, those countries automatically declare independence, without needing rebels). (no longer included in recent versions)
-Seleucids no longer have their capital in the middle of the desert (map of the area is still wrong in regards to terrain and rivers).
-Some provinces renamed.
-Cultural and religious conversion doesn't happen as quickly as in vanilla.
-Maybe something else that I have forgotten.

Changes done in 1.5
- Egypt now has Macedonian culture just as Macedonia and the Seleucids
- Monarchies and Tribes now also have requirements for Generals and Admirals
- New minor title: Companion, for monarchies, can be given to 3 loyal characters not of the rulers family to allow them to lead armies
- Republic laws for countries not in the roman culture-group now have generic names (so no more lex aelia et fufia passed for Carthage)
- Administrative inefficiency modifiers added, as you get larger you will not be able to get everything out of your provinces
- Descartes' tribal migration added
- Euphrates & Tigris moved to a more proper location, Zagros added
- The Ptolemies now have family name Lagid rather then Ptolemy, so instead of Ptolemy Ptolemy there will be Ptolemy Lagid
- A small handful of laws added

In 1.6
- Changed a number of provinces and added some new ones
- New countries added: Athens, Byzantion, Palmyra, Rhegion, Mamertines, Pictones, Turdetani, Iceni, Trinovantes, Brigantes

In 1.7
- Lugii & Suebi have one more province each
- Boii (Central European) now have 50 civ in both their provinces
- Coastal provinces can now trade with two provinces at start
- Populists no longer gain as much support from unused trade routes
- Countries now start with national ideas already selected (exception: if you go back and forth in history before selecting a start date, a country that changes it government may end up with no preselected ideas)
- Slightly altered effects for some national ideas
- Slightly altered requirements for some national ideas. Note that Cataphracts is not available to Eastern countries and Legionary System is not available to Italic countries as those already have those benefits in their warfare modifiers and therefore can be regarded as always having these ideas
- Some alterations to the missions
- Administrative efficiency have been slightly altered, more levels and for monarchies it also depends on the finesse of the ruler, while it is affected by ideas (bureucracy and rule of law to be specific) for republics.
- Some changes to Parthia, will receive less provinces, but those received will gain a boost in civilization values and population.
- Region Galatia is now named Cappadocia and have its own revolter (so no more Celtic Galatia - it is now just Galatia)
- Seleucid capital in Antioch from the start, Antioch civilization value reduced to 70 (same as Seleucia)
- Epirote event to cede back Emporion to Massilia (may be avoided by conquering Corsica, or Tarquinii and Lucania or Campania, or not conquering it before 490)
- Provinces with a civilization value below 20 may now receive an event increasing it by 5 (to prevent things like Picts with 0.0 in civilization value)
- Changed map in Pontus area: Two new provinces added (Amastris & Amisus (old Amisus renamed Sinope))
- New country added: Sinope

In 1.8
- Some provinces changed on the map
- Added some new provinces
- New countries: Arcadian League, Bruttium, Croton, Vocontii, Allobroges, Senones, Bellovaci, Suessiones
- Egypt starts with Phoenicia in 474 (so if all one want is to end up with what they have starting after the war one only needs to go for a white peace)
- Egypt given core on Damascus at start
- Cyrenaica semi-independent at start (pays tribute and is allied to Egypt. Magas was sent to Cyrene after the death of Ophellas (before game start) though he did not take the title of king until 478)
- Roman-Massilian alliance now starts later (so no more Massilia losing Emporion to Pyrrhus)
- Rome starts at war with Etruria for the first months of 474

In 1.8b
- Updated to the new patch (2.32)

In 1.9
- Changed appearance of characters of some cultures (as done in Epigoni)
- Many flags changed. New flags taken from Epigoni and made by Hardradi or Descartes (depending on flag)
- Slightly improved quality of a few other flags (that I had previously made)
- All religions gathered into one group (slightly better relations at start -> more trading oppurtunities (and less effort to get non co-religionist allies))
- Archer cost increased to 2
- New countries: Aorsi, Siraces, Iazyges, Cenomani, Garamantes, Nasamones, Utica, Heraclea, Dalmatae, Dardania, Paeonia (some have flags from Epigoni, some have flags I made)
- Some civvalues slightly changed
- Those three silly provinces where Dumah is the only one with any sort of justification for it existing given back to the Nabateans (could be an independent Qedar)
- Added provinces Heraclea and Utica
- Minor work done on missions (some altered, a few new ones added)

In 1.10
- Fixed a decision (the arabian caravans lacked an OR in the potential preventing it from being available)
- Minor changes at later dates for Pontus (when client kingdom of Rome after Pharnaces failed attempt to reconquer it), mainly it gets Trapezus as well
- Manchares (son of Mithradates VI) becomes king of Bosporos as all history files except the important one (the country one) already said he should (vanilla issue)
- Trapezus now produce wood rather then grain
- Lesser Armenia (Armenia & Trapezus provinces) not direct part of SEL when rest of Armenia becomes it
- As a result of above Pontus now gets Trapezus when they should and not when SEL takes the greater part of Armenia (they got since SEL should not, I did not want it to become barbarian, and an Armenia consisting of just Trapezus look stupid)
- If starting at Vercingetorix rebellion most of Gaul will be united and at war with Rome rather then a collection of one province minors at war with Rome
- Changed around some tradegoods in Egypt
- Perga province renamed to Pamphylia and given to Egypt in earliest start
- Culture in Alexandria changed to Macedonian to hopefully help Egypt (was too weak relative to SEL & MAC)
- Starting during the Galatian invasion will see Tylis having direct control over Odrysi & Uscudama to make them a greater threat.
- Pergamon starts as a Seleucid vassal (nominally Seleucid though with much autonomy)
- Arverni, Aedui, Bituriges and Sequani now Civic Tribes
- Rome starts with Corfinium
- Added new countries: Lingones and Amastris
- Cantabri now recieve Astures province during the Cantabrian wars (725 AUC. Astures was on their side, but I have not added them as a playable country)
- Upped civilization value slightly in a few barbarian provinces
- Arevaci will also have Belli and Lusones provinces when starting after 504 (Celtiberian Confederacy)

In 1.11
- Sparta enforcing the Lycurgan laws now requires government to be a monarchy
- Cyrenaican regional country changed to a generic Cyrenaica (as the current one does exist independent at several starts, with no outside cores, and cores for regional countries disappear if they are annexed, leaving their provinces without any cores at all in such a situation)
- Changed resource of Messana to Wine
- Decisions for Tribal expansion into uncolonized provs, currently only in Britain (and for the local tribes)
- Added a third province for Iberia
- Colchis, Iberia and Albania are all now Zoroastrian rather then Shamanistic
- Albania given its own culture (was previously Ibero, but seems distinct enough from both Iberians and Armenians to deserve its own culture)
- Macedonia starts in civil war at 474
- The Lucanians and Samnites no longer pay tribute to Rome at earliest start to get them to actually get involved in the wars against Rome
- Rhegion more closely bound to Rome (pays tribute) due to Roman garrison
- Roman garrison in Rhegion taking over the country takes place in 476 now, they will be allied with the Mamertines at that start
- The Social War will now be a Roman civil war (rather then just high revoltrisk in the relevant provinces), while seemingly small the rebels should not be underestimated
- Administrative inefficiency now also reduce forcelimits (land and naval)
- More families added (primarily for Celtic and Greek groups as most new countries are in those two groups)
- Revolt in upper Egypt added (including Pharaohs Hugronaphor & Ankhmakis)
- Some changes to the warfare modifiers
- Warfare laws removed, some might resurface as inventions
- Added some military decisions regarding the choice of style of warfare (Roman or Hellenistic)
- During the first Mithridatic war the Roman territory in Anatolia occupied by Mithridates will be owned (to make Pontus an even greater threat)

In 1.12
- Slight changes in Numidia area. Theveste -> Massyli; Massyli renamed Sitifis -> Massaesyli
- Changed flags for Athens and Sinope

The situation at the beginning; all countries added in this mod have their names on this map.
2jd0ro4.jpg

The mod is for Rome Gold/Vae Victis 2.32, English language only, it does work with the current beta patch.

As it changes some provinces on the map, it can be a good idea to look at the readme file (there are for example some minor issues when going back from the mod to vanilla)

You will need ALL three zip-files.

Attachments

• lofmodv112b.zip
    869,4 KB · Views: 204
  • lofmodv112a.zip
    961,1 KB · Views: 194
  • lofmodv112c.zip
    106,6 KB · Views: 197
Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
As requested, here are a few screenshots.

qq4u9e.jpg

Scythia, one of the new countries, capital Scythian Neapolis

2i74ozo.jpg

North Africa, you can see the flag of Massaesyli, the Massyli one is almost the same, actually the first time I have managed to produce something that really looks like a horse (except with copy-pasting :p)

1zqsj6c.jpg

A view of western Europe

25konrp.jpg

Ptolemy Keraunos facing the Galatians

Help

Hi Lofman

I am really enjoying your mod, but whenever I try to load one of my savegames (played and saved while operating you mod), the game crashes on me. Is there anything you can suggest that would prevent this from happening, or is it a game (ie. Rome itself) problem?

Many thanks in advance,
Amartus

Amartus said:
Hi Lofman

I am really enjoying your mod, but whenever I try to load one of my savegames (played and saved while operating you mod), the game crashes on me. Is there anything you can suggest that would prevent this from happening, or is it a game (ie. Rome itself) problem?

Many thanks in advance,
Amartus

Have no idea why this might happen, suffer from that kind of thing myself (if the problem is CTD when the savegame is selected) so when I actually know what causes it I will fix it. It is possible to load if one before starts a game (unimportant which country) and almost immediately resign, then one can select and load the savegames.

If someone figures out what causes it, I would be grateful.

Lofman said:
Have no idea why this might happen, suffer from that kind of thing myself (if the problem is CTD when the savegame is selected) so when I actually know what causes it I will fix it. It is possible to load if one before starts a game (unimportant which country) and almost immediately resign, then one can select and load the savegames.

If someone figures out what causes it, I would be grateful.

Thanks - I will give that a go :)

If anyone is interested I actually got the new patch yesterday (had played lots of other games so never got around to it until now) and have begun work of adapting this to 1.3. Will look closer on the new events that are in the eventfiles this mod has altered and bring most of them into the mod. Also planning to add the Arevaci. Hopefully the savegame-issue had to do with something fixed in the patch, but I doubt it, if I figure out what it is I will upload a new version as quickly as possible, otherwise I will try do do some more work before uploading.

Edit. So far I've not encountered the savegame-issue but however it is not like it happened ALL the time (only most of it it seemed :p). Well will spend the next week testing, and if I don't encounter it during that time I will upload the new version on saturday or sunday next week.

Last edited:
The way it looks now it will be released this weekend, I have yet to encounter the savegame-issue. Apart from being adapted to 1.3 the new version will have one new country (Arevaci), there are some more I'm planning to add (Carpetani, Ilercavones, Volcae and something Thracian) but I will wait with that until after new one will have gone up.

Another new thing is something that Djack's probably great mod (I haven't played it unfortunately but it looks like it could be fun) inspired me to add, warfare modifier thingies related to culture. There are differences between them, mine are simpler for a start, and with one exception only provides bonuses, and at the moment Rome is the only country that doesn't get one, mainly because I have not figured out what bonuses they should have. They are best for the tribes that need all the help that they can get, and the Eastern Warfare bonuses aren't bad either, the Mediterranean warfare which most civilized countries have on the other hand only provides very limited bonuses (slightly stronger militia and slightly better defense for heavy infantry). The actual values of the bonuses may change from what they are now, for one thing the Gallic Warfare will probably be made slightly better.

While not uploaded when I'm writing this, the new version will go up shortly (it is up as you read this). The savegame-issue has gone away (or it may just be in hiding, but I didn't encounter it at all the entire week, so in the worst-case it is atleast much more rare)

In short, what is different from vanilla?
In 1.0 (the previous version, was for 1.2)
- A bunch of new countries (Ilergetes, Aquitani, Bituriges, Boii, Lugii, Veneti, Chatti, Cherusci, Scordisci, Scythia, Media Atropatene, Massyli and Massaesyli)
- Some alterations to wealth and civilization-value of some provinces
- Some provinces have different trade-goods (for example Cappadocia & Armenia have horses)
- A pair of events for Pyrrhus and the Galatians that are preparing to invade Greece giving them troops and money to pay for that army.
- Event to make Galatia (the country) appear after a short time after 474.
- Some events making Anatolia and Caucasus more difficult to hold with low stability
- Seleucid capital at start is actually in Seleucia (old Opis province) rather than in the desert and on the wrong side of Babylon far away from its proper location (the Euphrates and Tigris are still in the wrong place, since the actual map haven't been changed)
- A few provinces renamed.
- Two new cultures (Belgian & Cappadocian) and two new Culture Groups (one for Numidians, one as mentioned shortly in the first post to keep all Greeks from having Pezheitaroi and Macedonians from effortlessly convincing the Leagues from paying tribute)

In 1.0b
- Another country added, Arevaci
- New warfare modifiers added
- Adapted to EU-Rome 1.3

A pair of screenshots:
20pvs7t.jpg

The map in 474

339rb4g.jpg

The most common of the warfare modifiers, at least around the mediterranean

Last edited:
Uploaded a new version. The new countries I planned to add are added. IIRC I also moved Scordisci to the south, into the area they where. As I will currently spend most of my modding time on 476 (both EU3 & EU2 versions), I think any development on this will at the moment progress even more slowly then it already has, and while this new update doesn't add that much new compared to what already was in the previous version, I thought that those of you that do enjoy this little mod deserve to have all the countries I added now rather then sometime in the future.

rome is in dire need of more countries. be cool to merge this w/ a VV mod.

Is this for VV 2.1 or this still Rome 1.3?

Rome 1.3, I don't have Vae Victis so while it might work with it, I have no idea wether or not it does, however since it is not a very big mod and it doesn't change the map (which takes time to generate) it shouldn't be too difficult for anyone with VV to test (and then post for the benefit of others) wether or not it does work.

Rome 1.3, I don't have Vae Victis so while it might work with it, I have no idea wether or not it does, however since it is not a very big mod and it doesn't change the map (which takes time to generate) it shouldn't be too difficult for anyone with VV to test (and then post for the benefit of others) wether or not it does work.
Are you planning on getting VV?