• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Ladislav said:
i have to say, with the upcoming release of rome:barbarian invasion, we can look forward to some spiffy screenies of battle scenes ;)

yum yum, late empire roman army uniforms are a wicked cross between antiquity and medieval outfits. Romans! forward!!!

I await that mod with eagerness too , for its screenshots certainly but not the least to PLAY!

EDIT: While I wait, I've just found the Total Realism Mod v6.1. It really makes a whole new game (much improved) of RTW. Instead of one of the corny Roman factions, you get to play all of Republican Rome! Even the map has been reworked, and the units are more differentiated and availabe in logical bunches (hastatii, princeps, triarii, velites and equites available from get go).

And Congrats on your promotion, Met!

BTW, I hope Odoacer isn't TM, becaue a guy called Audawakrs just showed up in KOTW... ;)

Last edited:
Great AAR. Only just checked the whole thing, and it's a shame I didn't check this AAR earlier!

BTW -- RTR gets pwnd hard by Europa Barbarorum. But I may think so 'cause I'm an (inactive) EB member. ;) [/shameless plug]

Pirate Z said:
Great AAR. Only just checked the whole thing, and it's a shame I didn't check this AAR earlier!

BTW -- RTR gets pwnd hard by Europa Barbarorum. But I may think so 'cause I'm an (inactive) EB member. ;) [/shameless plug]

I checked out EB and it sounds great, but it appears it's not out yet? In that case, it's down one very serious point vs RTR. But you're right, this IS a great AAR.

barbaria.jpg

She swept in unannounced, her chestnut robes billowing behind her as she passed into the room. Her gait was inclusive yet calculating, and it seemed to draw one in while making one wary at the same time. This was precisely how Remus felt when he first saw the domina Barbaria, mother to Romulus and thus someone of immense influence on coming events. Her arrival had not been anticipated, and she found the trio of them – Romulus, Remus, and Selenus – quietly enjoying a light meal in an opulent dining hall set off from the main corridor of the Lucallaneum. Tall stone statues of various heroes and statesmen from antiquity lined the walls, snugly placed in carefully carved alcoves, gazing over the room between them without constricting the open space. The tall ceilings helped add to the open and airy impression, and the marble flooring echoed the lady’s footsteps as she strode briskly.

Her auburn hair was scarcely tied and made one think of horses galloping. Her rather protruding nose seemed to be in perpetual sniff and accentuated her pursed lips. Combined with taut skin beginning to show hints of age, and deep green eyes, she exuded a force of her own without need of speech or weaponry. She clicked to a halt near her son and took a few moments to stare down each of them as they sat quiet, hands in mid-air, holding food or goblets. Romulus belatedly attempted to rise and was waved down.

Remus found himself under worse inspection than some of the senior rankers he had remembered over the years. A voice inside him was repeating a warning, that unguarded words at this moment could echo with consequence. He kept silent, putting on a mask of calm curiosity as the domina finally sniffed with indifference and settled herself on the couch. The Lucallaneum was one of the few residences Remus could recall that retained the traditional seating arrangement of couches around a center table, unlike the more popular trend of hardback seats, which, though far more uncomfortable, did keep one more attentive at meals.

”I see you have made friends, my son, though one wonders who came to whom?” Her eyebrow arched in quiet inquiry as she reached for an olive.

romulus3gx.jpg
Romulus seemed conflicted, as if wishing to assert himself and yet struck with familiar submission. He bought time by munching on his bread before responding, a calculated compromise. ”They did come to me, mother. The Praefectus here,” he said, casually waving to Remus, ”has been discussing some interesting proposals with me.” He looked at Selenus for a moment, perhaps wondering how to introduce him. With a true aristocratic bent, he declined and settled back into his food.

Barbaria’s mouth twitched slightly in a hint of bemusement at Remus’ title though she did not comment. With a sudden shift of her arm, she propped herself up and went from casual repose to vigilance in an instant. Remus was trying not to be obvious in studying her. He knew nothing of the domina, though her features were decidedly Roman with only a hint of foreign blood. Her name itself was perhaps a clue, and he dwelt on it for a time. He was interrupted by her voice, which tended to alternate from a soft lilt to a haughty crack at will. ”Proposals?”, she asked softly. ”You had best tell me the complete story.” Her eyes narrowed, waiting for the tale that she expected as her due.

Romulus launched into a brief summary of the events of the past few days, including Remus’ arrival, the death of the guards – which caused the domina to frown – the Senator’s departure for Rome, and their discussions of the past few days. The telling of the story caused Romulus to appear drained, and he visibly slumped on his couch, sipping his wine quietly. With her son's part completed, Barbaria freely turned her attentions to Remus, openly ignoring her son and young Selenus. ”I see. Having ambition, you arrive unannounced, with violence, and have openly compromised my son. Do you know…praefectus…” she asked, drawing out the syllables with a delicious relish, ”that His Excellency, Lord Odoacer, gives my son an annual pension of six thousand solidi? Quite generous, hmm?” She grew quiet, though her eyes lost none of their piercing intensity. Remus found his lips dry and sampled the dinner wine before opening mouth to reply.

As if waiting for that precise moment, Barbaria suddenly sprang to a sitting position and stood, moving quickly towards one of the outer doors, without explanation or acknowledgment. The movement caused a faint perfumed scent to be the sole reminder that she had been there, and Remus paused in startled surprise. All three of them stared at the departing lady as she swept out of the room, calling confidently as she left, ”The praefectus will accompany me.” The audacity of it surprised even Remus as he found himself standing in compliance. He had not encountered such a sheer force of will in a woman before, realizing how inexperienced he was in dealing with Roman noblewomen. Hastening to catch up and already beginning to resent the ploy, he counted himself fortunate that age limited Barbaria’s charms, lest he find himself in an even more difficult position.

villa20dt.jpg
Moving through the tall archway, he emerged into a low outside balcony, bordered by a thin marble colonnade and dotted with short squat braziers that added a flickering dance of light to the cool night air. The lady, having already paraded down the balcony’s length, was now stopped at the far end, her back to Remus, as if unaware of his presence. Swallowing his annoyance, he stepped up towards her and stopped, not wishing to bother with the first move in whatever drama she had planned.

A few quiet moments went by, with only the occasional distant shout of a villa worker or the soft hiss of the light wind on fire to disturb the calm. Finally, Barbaria inclined her head to the side. ”Ambition is not a fault, I find, praefectus.” The inflection she put on the final word caused Remus to grimace slightly, wishing she would dispense with it altogether. ”Vero, one cannot truly call oneself noble without it.” At last she turned and regarded him, her eyes not losing any of their scrutiny. If he wasn’t treading as carefully as he was, he might have admired the performance as one would a dramatic actor in an amphitheatre. He had too much stake in this, however, and that played into her hands.

”Your son shares our ambitions, domina,” he said quietly, pointedly meeting her eyes.

Those eyes now twinkled and her face rose upward in a defiant, proud gesture. ”So I have seen. I am sure you realize that you have already put us at risk?” Her hand came up to forestall Remus’ response. ”Your little nighttime adventure, complete with attack and all, will fool no one. Word will reach Ravenna soon enough, and then there will be an inquiry. Not a promising start to a relationship, I should say, praefectus.”

Remus found himself calculating just how much will this woman exerted over her son. He knew, of course, that it would be unwise to overtly cross her. Was there any room for maneuvering in defiance of her?

”Without me, praefectus, yours is a hopeless cause,” she said, her smile widening. ”We’ve come to enjoy the security of residence here, pension and all. These privileges are but the least we expect should the situation change.”

”And until then?” Remus asked cautiously.

Now Barbaria stood up, her hand sweeping the air in a casual wave. ”Until then, we would be pragmatic. My son won’t be going on any adventures until the prospects improve.” She laughed melodiously at Remus’ barely concealed disappointment. ”You expected something different?” She sighed, slowly walking towards him, not saying a word until she stood beside him, their shoulders almost meeting. ”I’ll confess, praefectus. I am not overly optimistic. Your skill in the field might hold promise yet as a politician?” She laughed and continued walking, headed for the doorway back into the villa.

Remus shook his head, already wondering what he could have done differently to achieve a better outcome. He began to think of arrangements when again she interrupted him, calling out as she moved back into the dining hall.

"But of course we expect Selenus to remain here," she said, confidently anticipating his question. "We will await word.”

Last edited:
She has added a rather new twist to Remus' fate. And what does she wish for Selenus, I wonder? A forceful woman, no doubt. But Remus can surely find a way to get around her.

She seems quite reasonable to me: What can Remus offer except hardship? A chance for Empire, certainly, but what's that old quote about one bird in the hand being better than two in the bush?

WB Mett!

That's one woman who knows whats she wants, and mostly gets it too. The Lady Barbaria seems to be the decision-making part of Romulus Augustus, and thus, perahps also of the future Augustus.

Great characterisation and dialouge here, Met!

Great to see a new update Mett:D
And this was really a cool update, so it seems there is a very strong woman behind Romulus and she will surly be a power Remus have to answer to and try to get a working relationships with. Seems to be a special woman, and it is yet an other great character in this AAR:)

Always does a woman complicate things! ;)

Nice interplay/dialogue, Mett, very nice indeed! :cool:

I like domina Barbaria! That's a woman worth watching, closely. Of course I wouldn't trust her as far as I could throw her but what the hell she's still very interesting character. :cool:

Joe

Just caught up with it, great as ever, drool enhancing updates. :)

I hope that you still enjoy writing the AAR, because I damn well enjoy reading it.:)

TheArchduke said:
I hope that you still enjoy writing the AAR, because I damn well enjoy reading it.:)

I certainly still do. The primary obstacle to my writing these days is being busy at work and having extra overtime hours. The funny thing is, I do most of my writing on my lunch hour or on breaks. It's difficult because the security systems prevent me from uploading my Word file to the Net, saving it to a disk, or even pasting it into the crude email system we use. So I used to print out my writing, go home, and retype the whole thing...laborious! :) Now, in the next weeks, thanks to the new job, we'll have LotusNotes, and I can paste away to my heart's content. That should make it easier to write more steadily even as things become busier. Hopefully, in the next week, I'll have something more to post. I finally got Barbarian Invasion in the mail, so I'm getting inspiration from that. Plus, I'm reading a couple nice books on early Christianity, Robert Wilkens' Christians as the Romans Saw Them and his The Spirit of Early Christian Thought. Thanks for indulging me, everyone. I promise to continue soon.

I definately know what you mean about writing obstacles, Mett. I hope you get around them because I'm enjoying this AAR more and more. Your writing is of the first quality and the images are fantastic. It inspires me each time you add an update so much that I want to do a Roman AAR :rofl: Now that Barbarian Invasion is out I expect to see some nice battles included as well! Now, back to work, writAAR!

eagles4qn6.jpg

May – September 482

The Lady Barbaria arranged herself comfortably on her couch, reclining elegantly and surveying the pair seated opposite her. Her eyes swept over them both, calculating and appraising even as she daintily took one of the proffered grapes a dark-haired servant placed in front of her. ”Selenus, dear, you are not exhibiting correct posture. It’s a firm bending of your elbow and be sure to keep yourself at an acceptable height. One must show comfort and relaxation at mealtimes. Remember your confidence and sense of well-being.” Her eyes twinkled as she watched her young guest awkwardly shift himself on the couch, clearly unused to the refined forms of dining. Next to him, her own son Romulus struggled to show moderation in sampling the various foods.

villa20dt.jpg

The pair of them had their uses, naturally, her son for obvious reasons and Selenus…well, youth could be molded into advantage, given enough time. This wasn’t her preference but the impulsive ‘praefectus’ had forced things. She would be watchful for a time. And if this Remus somehow prevailed? Pursing her lips, she ate a small morsel of fowl, while keeping an ear tuned to the conversation between Romulus and Selenus.

”It’s strange, Romulus,” Selenus was saying, pausing embarrassedly on using the real name of an emperor – with his insistence, of course - and in such an informal setting. ”my father was content in his life, and very determined.” He had yet to feel comfortable since the meal began, feeling as if he were some sort of toy, prodded by instruction and suggestion into the semblance of ease. They were after something, or at least the domina was. In the glare of the torches, under the impassive gazes of twenty servants, and feeling the first effects of wine, it was difficult to muster his thoughts.

To his right, clearly more used to such comforts, Romulus nodded knowingly. ”Vero, it was the same with mine. It was my father’s ambition and I was a tool. I---“ he faded as he saw his mother’s sudden look and returned to his meal.

”Eat and drink, Selenus, lest you waste away,” Barbaria said lightly, one of her hands holding her cheek.

Feeling the increasing nerves that comes with being studied, Selenus struggled to politely endure the meal.

* * *​

His hands folded behind his back, he gazed uncaring at the glowing lights of Ravenna, feeling the assurance and security of its stout buildings and tall walls. He took strength from the measured discipline of passing patrols and alert sentries. In a nearby courtyard stood a formidable onager, ready for deployment against enemy strongholds, foreign or rebel. There was no reason for concern, he realized at last.

A throat cleared behind him, and the man smiled with contented ease. ”What news then?”

He heard a pair of footsteps. Unused to exposing his back to sordid visitors, a show of authority was fitting in this case. Besides, there were at least three guards between him and his visitor. ”Little changes, my lord Patrician. I’m told Aquileia will be yours within months. General Ovida continues to defy the Emperor Zeno. There was a battle at Epidaurum. My sources tell me the imperial armies were exposed and are reforming. Victory in the east will be deferred for at least a year then.”

Odoacer shook his head slowly. ”I suppose it does not damage me to have the imperator still embroiled.” A hint of a smile played over his tight skin, hoping for Ovida’s continued success even as he threw the man’s armies out of Italia. In the field, it was always so clear. Here in his capital, it was all machinations. His current machination against cleared its throat behind him. At last, he turned to face the man, an unkempt figure who yet held an expression of amusement at the proceedings. ”Yes, yes. Perhaps you could tell me something of this southern business?”

The visitor spread his hands. ”There’s not much to tell, lord Patrician. It’s a small affair, led only by a cavalry officer. Your instincts were true, however. This man, this Remus, has indeed treated with young Augustulus.”

varic24pb.jpg

Odoacer nodded. ”Good. I’ve been looking for an excuse to cancel his pension. That will be all, Varic,” he said, waving the man away. Untrustworthy to a hilt, yet the man’s information was impeccable. He began to pace, turned to look at several of his staff who hovered nearby. One of them, a thin figure in uniform, caught his eye. ”Claudius!”

The man clicked his heels and stepped forward. Odoacer looked him up and down, satisfied. ”You know the country, yes?”

Claudius nodded.

eagles915cw.jpg

”You’re only a stripling,” he said with a forced laugh. ”But your failure hasn’t come yet. See to this mess. Take six thousand.” With abrupt dismissal, Odoacer spun and exited the dim hall. Around him, the thick walls of his Ravenna palace provided reassurance.

* * *​

They marched in tight formation, and Remus was impressed at their bearing. His troops would need this confidence, of course, as their first real battle approached. Behind the column of infantry, Remus trotted calmly, glad to be rid of the Lucallaneum with its accompanying strength and weakness. He was free of dithering Augustulus and his stormy mother, glad that things would be decided in the field, as it should be.

Free from the exposed terrain near Neapolis, they were moving into more rugged country, towards the familiar security of Vesuvius and its threatening proximity to Capua. Fools that they were, the local procurators in Neapolis, Capua, and other settlements would surely combine their garrisons to fend off these impudent rebels. And then Remus could deal with them on open ground. Having stripped caches of supplies and arms from one side of the peninsula to the other, his four hundred comitatenses were adequately equipped at last, with several hundred lightly-armed recruits supporting them. Gaius’ fifty equites, however, would mostly likely tip the balance. God help him, Remus could almost taste the coming fighting.

eagles925ew.jpg

A horseman galloped up beside him, and Remus returned Gaius’ salute. ”Gnaeus is suggesting camp ten leagues beyond. The more open, the more defiant. His words, sir. If I wasn’t mistaken, I believe the Primicerius is looking forward to meeting Capua’s governor.”

Remus gazed at the sky, watching the birds follow their progress. They too, anticipated strife, for their own morbid reasons. ”As do we, Gaius, as do we.”

Last edited:
Nice AAR... just read the whole thing and now my eyes are like :wacko: Keep up the good work.... Long Live The Empire!! :D