Ask Paradox (almost) Anything Thread (no support/tech or code questions)

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I live 20 minutes from my states capital and the fastest internet I can get is something like 52 kb/s.

Example: It took me 24 hours to download the free copy of Cities in Motion I got from the survey, and then when it finally finished downloading, I found out it had corrupted mid-download.

That doesn't sound right, at all. I can get a peak rate of about 1.5 mb/s on a very good day, but typically it's about 500 kb/s, and I live in a medium sized country town (although Wikipedia classes it as a "small city?") about 2 hours out from Melbourne, Victoria. I would suggest that you change plan and/or internet provider.

I think its probably necessary to scale back on this once you grow big. When so many people get employed that you don't know them all personally it is hard to make sure everyone can and will act responsibly and professionally on forums. Being able to ignore non-constructive criticism is not something everyone can do, and if you catch someone on a bad day it can easily turn into a bit of drama (there are many times I'v written long reply posts and then deleted them before pressing 'post' after thinking better of it).

What's "big" in this respect though? How does these forums compare, in number of posters, unique visitors and posts, to forums for "AAA" games? If this isn't much smaller than those, in a situation where there's a lot more PI employees, at least the same number of employees as now might be active on the forums and that'd still do the trick?

What's "big" in this respect though? How does these forums compare, in number of posters, unique visitors and posts, to forums for "AAA" games?
According to Alexa, the website league table for the category "Video games developers and publishers" goes like this:

1. Battle.net
2. Xbox
3. Electronic Arts
4. Playstation
5. Ubisoft
6. Blizzard
7. Bioware
8. Nintendo America
9. Nexon America
10. Square Enix
11. Rockstar Games
12. Perfect World Entertainment
13. Station.com
14. Digital Anvil
15. Paradox Interactive
16. Bungie.net
17. Epic Games
18. Bethesda Softworks
19. Stardock
20. N/C Software
21. Valve
22. EA Sports
23. Independent Games Festival
24. Sega
25. 2K Games

paradoxplaza.com has 0.010% of all internet traffic, and is the world's 12927th most visited website. (EA.com is ten times larger, with 0.103% of all internet traffic). The average visitor to the Paradox forums is male, aged 18-24, has no children, posts from home and lives in the United States. :)

What is the reasoning behind Paradox selling several expansions for games soley via download? This has caused major problems for me, as Australia's slow internet means I can never buy expansions such as A House Divided until Paradox releases a hardcopy version. :(
The reasoning that the economics of hard-box distribution don't work out for expansions. Paradox tried it once and lost a bundle, store just don't want to carry expansion-only boxes of older games that they don't still carry. Basically if they had to do that there would be no more expansions.

Note that when Paradox release a bundle including expansions, that usually does exist in a boxed format, eg EU3 Chronicles.

I live 20 minutes from my states capital and the fastest internet I can get is something like 52 kb/s.

Example: It took me 24 hours to download the free copy of Cities in Motion I got from the survey, and then when it finally finished downloading, I found out it had corrupted mid-download.
Hobart, right? But regardless, if you have ADSL or better (ie not dial-up) that speed is ridiculous, they must be able to do better.

Hobart, right? But regardless, if you have ADSL or better (ie not dial-up) that speed is ridiculous, they must be able to do better.

the other thing with broadband in the pacfic is data caps... i get something like 1mb/s down BUT i can only download 30GB a month then its back to dial up :(

thank god for local steam caches as that saves a bundle

According to Alexa, the website league table for the category "Video games developers and publishers" goes like this:

1. Battle.net
2. Xbox
3. Electronic Arts
4. Playstation
5. Ubisoft
6. Blizzard
7. Bioware
8. Nintendo America
9. Nexon America
10. Square Enix
11. Rockstar Games
12. Perfect World Entertainment
13. Station.com
14. Digital Anvil
15. Paradox Interactive
16. Bungie.net
17. Epic Games
18. Bethesda Softworks
19. Stardock
20. N/C Software
21. Valve
22. EA Sports
23. Independent Games Festival
24. Sega
25. 2K Games

paradoxplaza.com has 0.010% of all internet traffic, and is the world's 12927th most visited website. (EA.com is ten times larger, with 0.103% of all internet traffic). The average visitor to the Paradox forums is male, aged 18-24, has no children, posts from home and lives in the United States. :)

Ah, that wasn't that hard to find, at least if you go by general traffic. Anyway, I think that shows that these forums are in fact already huge, but developer-consumer interaction works fine; should it get bigger, that should be possible to preserve with about the same amount of staff and without PI losing track of their posting conduct.

I live in Queenstown (population 3000) which is in the middle of nowhere by anyone's standards and I can download at 1.2 mb/s :smug:
You just have a crappy internet service.

I have a 40/40 Mbit line. *cute*

Okay Ladies and Gents, this is not the my internet is worse/better than yours thread.
If you want to discuss that take it to the OT forum please and thank-you.

Last edited by a moderator:
alright then, i'm hering rumblings of HOI3 3.06 being in closed beta, is this the truth? and is it feature complete (as in nothing major needs to be added), i don't want a ETA or changelog, just is it in the works proper

alright then, i'm hering rumblings of HOI3 3.06 being in closed beta, is this the truth? and is it feature complete (as in nothing major needs to be added), i don't want a ETA or changelog, just is it in the works proper

it is. there are a few issues left before its ready (mainly AI stuff). it will have a public beta as well, but is currently in internal/closed beta testing only.

someone will probably tell you you should have asked in the HoI3 forum though, so if you have more questions ask them there :p

Last edited:
it is. there are a few issues left before its ready (mainly AI stuff). it will have a public beta as well, but is currently in internal/closed beta testing only.

someone will probably tell you you should have asked in the HoI3 forum though, so if you have more questions ask them there :p

Nice info!
Posted it over there at once.. :)

Cheers,
Chromos