• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
right, my first game as a complete newbie to Victoria type gameplay, the story....

First act was to help out Texas against the Mexicans, for some reason i couldnt join the war from the war screen, so i allied with Texas, and they then asked me for help to which i said yes.

The war started OK, however eventually i was pushed out of Texas back to my US homeland. After figureing out how to build military units, reinforcements poored into Texas, freeing them from Mexican occupation. Mexico then asked for white peace to which i accepted.

Soon after this Texas wanted to become part of the US to which of course i accepted.

Built a few factories here and there, a Lumber and Furniture factory in New England (resource overview showed it had a load of wood, so why not?). Noticed that some states wont allow you to build any factories (Florida was one that i rememmber)

Tried the influence/sphere bit with Hawaii, manager to get to 200 relations and 100 influence but wouldnt get to friendly status so gave up on that.

An event came along which allowed me to gain cores on Cuba, to which i said yes and prepared an invasion fleet, with 15 transport ships and 30k+ infantry and cannons the invasion of Cuba was a breeze with only 20k Spanish infantry and a few cannons. Took that fleet over to Puerto Rico before discovering that i couldnt anex it. During this time Spain has sent troops from thre mainland to my north east coast, this were easy to repel (when i figured out they were doing it). Eventually i did anex Cuba in the name of the United States.

During this time, revolts started to pop up (easily squashed) on the north east coast and central (St Louis area), the central lot where Anarcho-Liberals (i think) and the north east rebels Jacobian (wanting to turn the US into a monarchy i guess, wish i let them do it now just to see the Monarch US flag :D).

After my conquest of Cuba, i decided i wanted Haiti aswell, the little island with no allies was no match for me.

After that i went a bit mad and desided i wanted Venezuala aswell. :D

As soon as i decalre war, Mexico and her allies declare war on me, i had to pull my forces all the way from the north east coast to Texas to defend my border.

It was going fine, and then the American Civil War event happened, in 1841 :confused:

it allowed me to choose which side i would become, unfortunalty i accidently picked the Confederacy. I desided to rll with it, with the USA at war with Mexico + a few latin american nations i thought i may just get away with it.

untill i took a look at my army, all 3000 peasents worth of it. i checked the events screen and saw a "unify the states" option. "ah i know, ill go back to being the USA again!" i thought, unfortunatly pressing that resulted in me losing the game by being "annexed"

and thats my first go on the demo...

Some interface issues I've noticed:

- As mentioned before, arrow keys scroll very slowly, and contrary to other posts, setting the scroll speed up in the game options does not change this.
- As also just mentioned, the game seems to unpause while paused at various points, such as selecting a different state, this quickly gets frustrating; the game should never unpause without me telling it to.
- In addition, when you use the scroll wheel inside a menu or window to scroll in some table or whatever, you return to the map, the game have changed that in its zoom function, it would appear that the scroll wheel is still applied to the zoom level, even though you are not viewing the map at all.
- Units seems to disappear at a certain zoom level, which makes it hard to find your units, especially if you are a big country like the USA.

Otherwise; great stuff.

Well the game is as good as expected, although some things really impressed me:
1. The tooltips they´re just gorgeous, and the tutorial is really good I´d say both together make the manual obsolete :eek: you PI guys should upkeep this high-quality on both on future games.

2.The wars are really fun, although those mexicans are hard to break

And as already said the rest is as good as expected

I just have the odd nitpick here and there (no factories in Massachusetts.........uh Springfield Armory anyone? and that region being called "Pittsfield :D), but overall it performs great on my aged machine, and seems fun and challenging!

Tried the influence/sphere bit with Hawaii, manager to get to 200 relations and 100 influence but wouldnt get to friendly status so gave up on that.

You need to use the increase opinion option, ie use your influence points for that.

I'm enjoying this game so far. I get random un-pause though, which is really annoying. That and counters for troops on zoom-out is all that bugs me so far. looks great.
That happened to me a few times when I clicked on the "battle view" (or whatever it's called, ie where you how the battle is progressing). However that didn't happen in all cases. In fact, I think it only happened in my first game, not the second.

That was a pretty minor annoyance though.

Ok, this may be a stupid question, but I just can't help trying...
So, right now I'm on vacation and I only have with me this small netbook, I'm not even really know what the specs are, maybe: 1 GB RAM, Atom Processor ~1GHz, integrated video card. Do I have any chance that the demo will work, even superslow?

Thanks... I'll try it anyway... :)
Ricroma
Netbooks will in all probability not be able to run the game. You need a dedicated graphics card and a "proper" CPU.

Great game so far! :) I've noticed a little continuity issue with the tutorials, though:

Example: Say I go through the Technology tutorial from Basic till Advanced. In Advanced, my country isn't Belgium anymore, but Prussia (this is the tutorial focus for the Advanced part).
Then when I finish the tutorial on Technology, it gives me a choice to continue on to Politics "Basic".
I click on it and it starts, but then it talks about Belgium and its parties, etc. But the game hasn't changed back to Belgium and instead it continues with Prussia, making the player a bit confused. I have to quit and restart the tutorial then.

Not such a big thing, but thought I'd point it anyways.

Wars, events, performance are great, you really brough my faith back in you! It looks like I'll have to preorder the game. :)

The only real thing that bugs me is the lack of military for the newborn CSA as mentioned a few posts above. Oh and they should get a few leadership points as they had military superiority (in the first years) and fairly good leaders. But I'm sure this can be easily corrected with a few nice decisions.

Was a bit easier to get the budget going if you realize that putting taxes at 100% means effective taxes on about 25% thanks to administrative efficiancy. So maxing it for the poor is still pretty pk, before that it was a bit hard to fund the military:D

Only things I am missing are a map view of the ressources (like in Vicky) and an overview of the production similar to what the population view looks like. As in: A list of the States and Provinces with the things they produce, who works there, efficiency, etc... Also it would be nice if the linking would be expanded. I would like to be redirected to the POP-screen, when I press on any POP in the budget-screen.

a pile of repiles from reading through the thread...

King, I think this one is worth mentioning tho as it can confuse people: http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/2996/luxemburg.jpg

In the dialog before the current one it says that Luxemburg is in the Dutch SoI, it's not. People might confuse alliances with SoI's. I know it won't make it in the Gold version but it might be a good idea to patch it.

this one is in the bug database already.

Also, it's not that hard against mexico. But debt is really sad tho :( Europeans are too cheap to pay proper price for the goods :/

I often rack up heavy debt if I can in serious war time. you can always pay it back afterward if you survive (or go ahead and pay interest on it until 1936 :p).

The good news, Works with Linux:)

thats cool. is performance still fine? regular wine or that cedega stuff?

Would it be possible to increase the map scrolling speed when using the keyboard ? It would be quite nice to use the keyboard to scroll around while selecting with the mouse but it is quite painfull with the horrible speed. Possibly add a speed selection bar in the options menu or a ctrl modifier for speed scroll.

I agree, this happened late in development and its been annoying me a bit too (I think I'm the only one at the office that mainly use keyboard to move the map). added it to my buglist

So, any suggestions on how to keep the economy from tanking?

depends a bit on whats happened in your game of course but a common problem for some people new to the game (*cough* johan in russia *cough*) is not giving out enough pay to state employees (soldiers, clergy etc). your internal market is important and unlike in victoria 1 goods produced that nobody buys doesnt give you any money.

Baldamundo said:
One single thing that would increase my enjoyment a huge amount though would be if you could make it so as armies are visible in the zoomed out map. That would make fighting a war and organising your armies much easier, especially when you're a country as big as America fighting a war with a border as wide as that with Mexico.

nobody really requested this much, but you are probably right when it comes to large nations. might be worth considering for 1.02 as well.

untill i took a look at my army, all 3000 peasents worth of it. i checked the events screen and saw a "unify the states" option. "ah i know, ill go back to being the USA again!" i thought, unfortunatly pressing that resulted in me losing the game by being "annexed"

I might have been a bit too hard on the "remove any way to play other than USA/CSA" and accidentally nuked something for the demo. if not we should double check it I guess.

Second, does the ai fight for their colonies at all? i mean i moved 2 dragoon units to capture oregon faster where mexico was having a huge lead, but they didnt send any units to meet me, and i took the colony easy, same in washington where i was competing with the british, they sendt nothing, they even had 20 000 soldiers in the state north of the colony. :confused:

its a known ai weakness atm and one of the points we want to improve in a future patch.

Alright alright I'll buy the game, just... don't hurt the kitten :(

King and I wanted to add a picture of a sad victorian kitten, but the artists was sadly on holidays, good thing it worked anyway :D I'm very happy you guys seem to have fun with the demo.

I have to say I did NOT expect a really good game after the HoI3 fiasco... I was wrong, and couldnt be happier with that ;). The 2 small issues I have are:
1) is it really necessary to have THAT many events? Im playing on slow speed and still they fire up ever so often. I`m guessing it might have something to do with playing the USA and the whole Civil War build up but still...
2) in my game Russia went to war vs UK to conquer... North-West England. Its a bit too ambitious in my opinion :p

Anyway as I said, totaly loved the demo, gonna for sure play it again and cant wait for the full game :).

Thanks a lot guys, seems Viki2 will bring back my faith in Paradox's games :).

Spent all evening just looking at stuff, haven't even unpaused yet.

Any particular reason why nearly every American province has some sort of organised crime activity going on?

I just gotta say great stuff the game runs great on my computer first off :) The only thing I noticed that was odd was South Carolina has Charleston producing coal shouldn't it be producing Cotton or Rice? Also South Carolina is listed as being a part of Georgia. Other then that I didn't notice any real problems. Keep up the good work :)

Wars, events, performance are great, you really brough my faith back in you! It looks like I'll have to preorder the game. :)

The only real thing that bugs me is the lack of military for the newborn CSA as mentioned a few posts above. Oh and they should get a few leadership points as they had military superiority (in the first years) and fairly good leaders. But I'm sure this can be easily corrected with a few nice decisions.

Oddly enough we were working on exactly this thing today.

Spent all evening just looking at stuff, haven't even unpaused yet.

Any particular reason why nearly every American province has some sort of organised crime activity going on?

small bureaucracy. Use your national focus to encourage bureaucrats and finaince your admin well and you'll see them disapear.