• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
A Few Thoughts from a Vicky Veteran

Wow, does this baby run fast. No wonder you tried to apply some of this juice to HOI3.

At first glance, it appears that the economy is balanced a little too easy. I set starting taxes at 50% for everyone, put bureaucrats and education at 100%, and found myself making heaps of money. Even after the Texan independence war started, I didn't really feel much of a pinch. Come on, where's some of that good ol' Victoria pain?

The interface in general is great, although it will take a little getting used to, as is always the case when starting something new. The thing I find most impressive is the Population tab, because with it you can get such a rapid overview of POP needs, unemployment, and so on. Some of that stuff you used to have to look for in the ledger, while others required a more province-by-province search.

The thing that is most perplexing and interesting in this game is national focus. It's not the idea that's so novel, since after all it comes from Heir to the Throne, but its application here, because in the EU3 version the possible uses of nat. focus were pretty limited, while here you can use them for an immense number of things. It's going to take a long time to figure out how to use this best. That's a good thing, by the way! For example, if you use nat. focus to promote a particular industry group, would you be doing so to:

1) partially correct for capitalist "abuses" in their construction choices
2) to take advantage of a particular regional resource base (but why would that be necessary, given that everything goes into a national resource pool, right?)
3) . . . ?

Finally, one note on the map. Why the peculiar configuration for Wahington DC? This was to keep some weird thing from happening in the Civil War, I take it? Well, it won't bother me, because this will be the last time I play the USA (as I said elsewhere, I'll prefer to give it a go as Mexico and try to conquer the USA!)

Wonderful job, guys. King, it's good to see that you've lost none of your feel for this game. ;)

cons:
crashes. yes crashes. I've played for about 1 hour an half and i had 2 crashes. the first one at the end of the basic military tutorial and the other while starting a GC game.
thus i have to ask: has anyone encountered CTD's or is it just my system?

in conclusion I'm so buying this.

It crashed for me after the military tutorial too.

Fantastic.

One single thing that would increase my enjoyment a huge amount though would be if you could make it so as armies are visible in the zoomed out map. That would make fighting a war and organising your armies much easier, especially when you're a country as big as America fighting a war with a border as wide as that with Mexico.

I hope this gets changed in a future patch.

hint hint to developers

So, any suggestions on how to keep the economy from tanking?

What worked for me was lowering the taxes for the rich, increasing the taxes on the poor and keeping the taxes of the middle class at 50%. I also used a NF to increase the factory workers (forgot their class name) in New York. If you're lucky your capitalists will upgrade the cement factory asap, that thing is a gold mine.

Another thing that boosted my budget was getting Brazil into my Sphere. It's the second or third market in NA.

Don't be afraid to go into debt for the Texan war. You can borrow a large chunk from your own population. Once the war is over you should be doing very well.

I'm loving this game. It's still taking some time getting used to everything. I have a pretty hard time to get the information on what to do. For example, all my big artisan pops, especially the one in New York, are losing money (the small ones are making money...). They do change their trade but that doesn't seem to help. I tried everything from upping to lowering taxes and increasing and lowering tariffs. Nothing seemed to work. Some help on the artisans would be appriciated.

It crashed for me after the military tutorial too.

I think you always get the crash if you send your ships to the Coast of Holland as described in the tutorial. The tutorial pauses when the ships are still moving and then asks you to unload your army to middleburg.
If you send your ships only to the dogger banks it will work.

I guess this is only a tutorial bug. If the game generally crashes if you try to unload an army from a moving ship it should probably be fixed.

All in all: Great demo, great tutorial :)

I'm taking this hint and adding it to my schedule for tomorrow
Might I suggest that it be optional in some way?

I like that the zoomed out map just gives you a general view without "clutter" (you know, admiring your smooth borders :p).

Other times I also would like to see where everything is.

In the period between 1836 and 1840 I've had two great wars (UK-Russia and Prussia+german minors - Austria). :-\

Anyway I like the game (althought I hate playing with the USA).

Pff, that's nothing. In my game France and Russia both attacked Britain with territorial claim wargoals on England itself. :D

They didn't win, of course.

PS: I agree with the army thing. A system where your armies turn to flags if you're zoomed out like in EU3 would be welcome. No need to have armies on the super zoomed atlas map, but there's a zone in between that would be nice to have.

This is amazing. Two hours and a massive war against Mexico just flew by in an instant.

An incredible game you put together guys, right now I could say this is the best thing Paradox ever made.

The good:

-events, events EVENTS. I know the US probably gets an above average number of them, but seeing so many tailored specifically to the country is absolutely brilliant

-war; Mexico really gave me a run for my money, I spent 8 years fighting (I intervened on the side of Texas) and it was touch and go for a while, but after taking Mexico City I managed to prevail. It used its units wisely, and I had to use firefighting actions for years until I had enough units to man my entire border

-streamlining compared to Vicky 2 - so much stuff is automated now (when you build something the AI will purchase the necessary stuff for you), checking on POPs is easy and takes an instant, the political stuff is in-depth, etc.

-there is way more stuff to do in peace-time compared to Vicky 1, or it at least feels like it

-you nailed the atmosphere, the visuals, the music,... one of the more important things in any game for me

now for the bad (not that much, but worth mentioning):

-events, while awesome, sometimes are just too much and keep popping up non stop (I mean especially a few generic events like that village burning, the underground railroad or that southern belle event, they're on the screen all the time)

-the game is a bit choppy, and there's a noticeable delay when I click on something, basically everything could run a bit smoother but it's not too bad

-I was making an insane amount of money while fighting a long war against Mexico with around 100,000 men under arms at all times-way too easy ;)

Last edited:
Something else which is either a bug of just a very weird interface decision

When you have a state selected and pause the game, and then select a different state, the game *unpauses*

Kind of defeats the point of the pause

Also a weird facet of the setup: the District of Columbia has virtually no Bureaucrats. Surely even in 1836 it wasn't sort of them :)

Nice reading all the comments.

King - dont let it get to your head. Remember to cool off in HOI3 forum ;)

Looking forward to some playtime myself after gamescom.

/s

After running some errands, I finally got to install the demo and bring up the first tutorials. WELL DONE - gorgeous maps, great interfaces and useful tutorials, looking to fire up the scenario shortly. This bodes well for Friday's release of the real deal. :cool:

two small things, The eu3 army sound when you select a unit, is really not fitting

Second, does the ai fight for their colonies at all? i mean i moved 2 dragoon units to capture oregon faster where mexico was having a huge lead, but they didnt send any units to meet me, and i took the colony easy, same in washington where i was competing with the british, they sendt nothing, they even had 20 000 soldiers in the state north of the colony. :confused:

But heres my grades so far

Looks: A+ most stunning paradox game so far

Performance: S no problems here, the game runs so good its unbelivable

Speed: A+ About perfect and you can change it to your needs

Sound: B+ (the army sounds pull down as explained over, but the music is freaking great)

Ai: B+ (Mexico is killing me, and spain launched an invasion on the east coast when they found out they couldnt reinforce cuba because of my blockade :D, but im not sure i like the colony problem, see above)

Decisions and Events: S, seriously usa got insane amount of decisions, and flavour events are great and many.

Fun: S+ good god how fun this is, wrestling with both spain and mexico at the same time im trying to manage an economy, promote industrialisation and colonize every bit before uk and mexico. :D:D:D

Judgement: So far this game is far beyond any paradox title, congratulations paradox you made another winner :D i dont even see any need for a patch so far, take a vacation or something! ;)

I've already mentioned the eu3 sound for clicking a unit, I agree it needs to be changed... perhaps to a marching sound.

cons:
crashes. yes crashes. I've played for about 1 hour an half and i had 2 crashes. the first one at the end of the basic military tutorial and the other while starting a GC game.
thus i have to ask: has anyone encountered CTD's or is it just my system?

in conclusion I'm so buying this.

Same, bunch of crashes here. Crashed it trying to do the basic military where you transport a unit by sea. Unloaded it to the wrong province and game froze. Then I got another during the intermediate tech tutorial after clicking next. Actually now that I think about it, the second time just froze the graphics on the screen, the rest of the game was continuing invisibly. I alt-tabbed and then came back and it refreshed.