• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Sigfrið has outlived all of those who sought to bring him down. And interestingly, made peace with them as well to where they were at least somewhat loyal at the end. I didn't know he had it in him!

It will be interesting to see who steps up to fill the vacuum of that thorn in the power of the royal family. Cyneswith seemed like a possibility, but I suspect she'll hold too much sway over Eilif to actually oppose him.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Well that was a touching last scene with Ælfweard. Two sometime foes making a kind of peace in their dotages.

I thought it was time for too old foes to acknowledge one another and the fact that they had grown used to each other.

Enjoyed that addition. Works well to contrast the well-written soberness that follows. Well done.

That struck home in a very big way. You did very well here too...I was and am Sigfrið now. And indeed it is impossible for friends and family to avoid that shock - or to miss those reactions from his-chair. Again, very well done.

Thank you for the comments and the praise. I hope it did cause any discomfort. I will admit that I cheated somewhat with Sigfrið's illness. I based it upon my mother. In the game he suffered from a long illness that slowly brought him down. My mother had Parkinson's disease. Her symptoms became noticeable when I was about 11 or 12. By the time I was 27 she required 24 hour care. I watch this very active woman who played high school basketball in the late 1930's, coached youth baseball, was a shift supervisor in a manufacturing plant, and shuttle me back and forth from school, sports, etc. deteriorate into someone who could not get out bed with help. The chair scene was something I saw many times when old friends who had not seen her in years visited her.

Sigfrið has outlived all of those who sought to bring him down. And interestingly, made peace with them as well to where they were at least somewhat loyal at the end. I didn't know he had it in him!

It will be interesting to see who steps up to fill the vacuum of that thorn in the power of the royal family. Cyneswith seemed like a possibility, but I suspect she'll hold too much sway over Eilif to actually oppose him.

As time progressed his enemies did seem to get less and less in the game. I know some from death but many whose opinions of him went up.

The vacuum is going to opening very soon and someone will step in.

Reactions:
Chapter 5.22.1 December 981 Lancaster
Chapter 5.22

AvNXeCG.png

15 December 981 Lancaster

Despite the cold Eilif found himself sweating. He paced around his study and down the hall and back to the study. The waiting was driving him mad. Bishop Snorri of St Davids, Court Chaplain of Lancaster, sat in his chair and watched the nervous prince and smiled.

“Milord, all will be well. The court physician Anlaufr and the midwives know their jobs well. The Duchess is in good hands.”

Eilif looked at the Bishop and continued his pacing.

Count Padern of Glamorgan, the Steward of Lancaster entered the study just after Eilif paced out of it. Padern looked at Snorri.

“Got it bad does he?”

Snorri smiled, “He is a nervous wreck. I am about ready to tie him to chair.”

Padern said, “I remember my first. After the first five hours I had to have a drink to calm my nerves. Well as the hours went by the more drinks I had to have. By the time my son was born I was almost too drunk to stand.”

Eilif entered the study again. Padern said to him, “Milord when did you return from Suffolk?”

Eilif stopped pacing. He was actually glad for the distraction, “Five days ago. The snow made for a rough trip home.”

Padern said, “Yes it was quite a storm, I only arrived here in Lancaster last evening myself.”

Eilif nodded.

Padern continued, “Were you able to catch the raiders?”

Eilif responded, “Unfortunately were not able to bring Gnupa of Orknö and his band of raiders to a battle. There were plenty of skirmishes. We did keep them from remaining in any one place for long. They did not go away with much loot on this adventure.”

Padern said, “That is good. I gather your father was pleased and Jarl Waltheof grateful for you chasing the raiders out of his jarldom.”

Eilif responded, “I assume so.” No formal recognition had come from either. Then again Eilif did not wait around too long in Suffolk. Knowing Elisabeth’s time was near he hurried back to Lancaster as quickly as possible. The early snow storm surprised him and made traveling very difficult for a couple of weeks.

Eilif resumed his pacing. After about an hour Eilif was nearing exhaustion and collapsed in his chair. He began to doze off.

Anlaufr entered the study. Eilif saw him and nearly flew out of the chair now wide awake.

Anlaufr smiled, “Congratulations, milord, you have a son.”

Eilif smiled broadly. Snorri and Padern congratulated him.

Snorri asked, “What will he be called?”

Eilif replied, “Sigurðr.”

ZW9Nlae.png

• 1Love
Reactions:
Chapter 5.22.2 March 982 Lancaster/July 982 Ipswich
7 March 982 Lancaster

Eilif stood in the courtyard watching the servants cleaning the winter off the fountain and preparing it for the coming spring. There was still a chill in the air and the wind from the north blew cold. Eilif was watching the servants so intently he never heard or noticed Elisabeth approaching from behind him until she pushed him. She pushed him hard enough that he nearly lost his balance. He had to take two steps to keep from falling over.

He turned and faced an enraged Elisabeth. He face was red from fury and tears rolled down her face. She clinched her fist and began striking him on the chest. After receiving a few blows he was able to grab her wrists. He then noticed a crumpled piece of paper in one of fists.

“You liar, you bastard. You could not keep yourself away from her bed. Could you?” She cried.

She tried to break his grip unsuccessfully. Eilif remained silent.

She continued, “You went to her even while you knew I carried your son. Then you legitimize the bastard.”

Eilif managed to release her wrist by pushing them aside. Elisabeth nearly fell forward when he did so. She quickly regained her balance. She did move toward him or act hostile. She stood glaring at him breathing heavily.

Despite himself Eilif began to feel self conscious. “I legitimized Rædwald to protect him and the kingdom,” said Eilif avoiding the obvious about his indiscretions.

iV9h9Sn.png

Elisabeth growled, “Protect the kingdom?”

Eilif replied, “Yes the kingdom. I need heirs for when I am king. You do not understand the curse”

Elisabeth said mockingly, “Curse? What foolishness are you talking about?”

Eilif answered, “Did you ever wonder why my uncles all died young? Why my great uncle Skuli was killed when he was a boy. Look what happened to my aunts and my sister.”

Elisabeth looked at him oddly like he lost his mind, “You believe that there is a curse.”

Elifi responded, “What else if it be?”

Elisabeth looked at Eilif in disbelief, “You are a bigger fool than I ever thought.”

Eilif stood silently hoping her triant was over.

Elisabeth pointed at Eilif and said, “That bastard had never be brought here.”

Eilif replied trying to offer her some concession, “He is with his mother Eadhild in Warwick and will remain there.”

Elisabeth huffed at him and spun around and stormed out of the courtyard.

July 982 Ipswich

Cyneswith was beginning to regret coming this meeting the moment she saw Count Rögnvaldr walk into the room. Jarl Waltheof of East Anglia and Bishop Borkvard of Worcester greeted him.

As Rögnvaldr walked to his seat he did not take his gaze off of Cyneswith. Cyneswith felt a chill run up her spine.

Cyneswith did not remember most of the meeting. She knew that their concerns regarding how much power the king had and how he wielded it. Or as some were thinking how much power Queen Emma was not exerting. All agreed that something should be done. However, after they examined their strengths they were still not strong enough to challenge the king.

Cyneswith voiced their frustrations, “We keep trying but we always come up short. There are so few others that we can recruit.”

Waltheof said, “The Countess is correct, Prince Eilif will never join. He will be king one day and does not want to give up any power.”

Borkvard said, “I should be able to convince Count Eadgar of Northampton to join with us.”

Waltheof said, “Count Siweard will never join. He is far too loyal to the king and queen.”

Rögnvaldr said, “We can only hope that Jarl Leofweald loses his war and Kol is made Jarl of Northampton. I am sure Kol will remember that it was Sigfrið who allowed his father to be deposed as Jarl thus depriving him of his birthright to be jarl.”

Waltheof said, “Countess Maria of Hereford has turned 16. We should find out what her thoughts are regarding the power of the throne.”

The meeting continued for a short time. When it was finally concluded Waltheof and Brokvard left to discuss other matters that concerned them.

To her distress Cyneswith found herself alone in the room with Rögnvaldr. She tried to leave but the Count of Gloucester blocked her exit.

Rögnvaldr smiled evilly at her and said, “Well my good niece of my wife you were quiet this day.”

Cyneswith replied, “There was little to say. We still lack strength and have few opportunities to increase it at this time.”

Rögnvaldr said, “I hope I am not hearing the words of someone who is thinking of leaving our little group.”

Cyneswith mouth dried and she said, “No I am committed to achieving our goal of gaining more power for the Council.”

Rögnvaldr replied mockingly, “I am so glad to hear that. I am a man who takes disappointment to the heart and I always get what I set my mind to. I can be very resourceful when I need to be.”

Rögnvaldr moved to allow Cyneswith to leave. When she was almost out of the room he said, “You have a beautiful daughter and a handsome son. Ealdgyth and Eadlmund are their names if I remember correctly. There are so many dangers to children these days.”

Cyneswith ran out of the room.

• 1Love
Reactions:
Thank you for the comments and the praise. I hope it did cause any discomfort. I will admit that I cheated somewhat with Sigfrið's illness. I based it upon my mother. In the game he suffered from a long illness that slowly brought him down. My mother had Parkinson's disease. Her symptoms became noticeable when I was about 11 or 12. By the time I was 27 she required 24 hour care. I watch this very active woman who played high school basketball in the late 1930's, coached youth baseball, was a shift supervisor in a manufacturing plant, and shuttle me back and forth from school, sports, etc. deteriorate into someone who could not get out bed with help. The chair scene was something I saw many times when old friends who had not seen her in years visited her.
I guessed you my have been a witness. The praise from me is all the more. You've lived it and have written of it; two battles won in my book. <kind-manly-man-embrace>

NRN {no response necessary}

Reactions:
Or will Cyneswith go with this to the King - I am sure Sigfrið could still orchestrate a counter-coup from his bedchamber.

Reactions:
A dangerous game played by both Cyneswith and Rögnvaldr. I would imagine her affair with Eilif is known (could be why the count thought she might depart) so he runs a risk she could easily run to the prince, who could act on it himself or go to his father. Of course, that doesn't mean Cyneswith's children would be safe either.

Also, guess "I'm cursed!!" is not going to be shooting to the top of anybody's excuses for infidelity anytime soon.

Reactions:
Cyneswith is volunteering whether he wants to or not.

She is being boxed into a corner. Now she needs to device a solution.

Or will Cyneswith go with this to the King - I am sure Sigfrið could still orchestrate a counter-coup from his bedchamber.

Cyneswith is proud but also wants to protect Eilif. Going to the king could have complications she does not want.

A dangerous game played by both Cyneswith and Rögnvaldr. I would imagine her affair with Eilif is known (could be why the count thought she might depart) so he runs a risk she could easily run to the prince, who could act on it himself or go to his father. Of course, that doesn't mean Cyneswith's children would be safe either.

Also, guess "I'm cursed!!" is not going to be shooting to the top of anybody's excuses for infidelity anytime soon.

It will take some time for a solution for Cyneswith to be worked out. The "curse" still has some milage.

The interaction between Cyneswith and Rögnvaldr is needed for something that will happen later.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Chapter 5.23.1 October 982 Richmond
Chapter 5.23

urGyxKc.png

2 October 982 Richmond

Eilif read the message he was handed. He thanked the messenger and turned and walked back into the room.

Sigfrið was seated in his chair. Pillows were arrayed around him to keep him upright. There was some trembling in his arms and legs but today was a good day. Sigfrið had recently began to uncontrollably at times move his head from side to side. Today it was the most noticeable aspect of his ailment.

Queen Emma sat next to her husband. He hand rested on the arm of his chair. Her gaze constantly fell on Sigfrið making sure there was nothing wrong with him. The lines in her face seemed deeper and many said had aged several years beyond her age. Worried was buried deep in her face.

Count Siweard of Lincoln, the Spymaster of Jorvik stood next to Sigfrið on his right. The Count smiled as Eilif walked toward them.

Siweard said, “So it has finally arrived.”

Eilif feigned ignorance, “What would that be?”

Siweard smiled, “A message from King Cynwrig of Gwynedd requesting aid against Guichard.”

Eilif jokingly replied, “And how would you know that?”

Siweard said, “If I didn’t know that I would not be worth my weight in manure as Spymaster.”

At first there was silence and then they all laughed.

Eilif handed the message to his mother. Emma read it to Sigfrið.

She read the message,

“King Sigfrið the Powerful and Righteous. We are requesting your assistance in our current war with Guichard. Cynwrig King of Gwynedd.”

Sigfrið responded, “Short and to the point. I had heard rumors he lacked diplomatic skills and this proves it. What do we know of this war?”

Siweard replied, “Guichard is a French adventurer from Lotharingia in particular the Bishopric of Strassburg. Apparently he is a pretty good general as he has taken Mathrafal and Llangollen. He has also kept the Gwyneddians at bay.”

Sigfrið asked, “I thought Cynwrig called King Robert of Scotland into this war?”

Eilif answered, “Yes he did. The Scottish have not fared well either. Up until the last few months Robert had several rebellions on his hands that kept them busy. Perhaps we should look at subjugating Scotland after the Guichard War is over.”

Sigfrið smiled at Eilif and then asked, “Could Cynwrig lose this war?

Siweard and Eilif replied in unison, “Yes.”

Sigfrið looked at Emma. Emma nodded. Sigfrið turned back to Eilif and Siweard and said, “We therefore must honor our obligation and aid our ally King Cynwrig.”

Siweard and Eilif nodded.

Then Sigfrið said to Eilif, “Raise the levies and destroy this adventurer Guichard.” He then smiled and continued, “Observe the Scots you come across and report back on how well they perform.”

Eilif saluted and said, “Yes milord.”

Eilif and Siweard turned and left the room.

Once they were alone Sigfrið turned to Emma, “I feel this is my last war. Now my son goes and fights my battles.”

Emma squeezed his hand and looked away. She did not want him to see the tear rolling down her cheek.

• 1Love
Reactions:
Chapter 5.23.2 December 982 Richmond
1 December 982 Richmond

Emma rose from her chair in front of the fireplace to get a drink. She asked Sigfrið if wanted anything. Emma was concerned. He had been complaining of a headache most of the day. At first he was able to move around well but as the day wore on he was getting stiffer and unable to move his arms and legs. Within the past hour he had become more lethargic. At one point he claimed his vision was blurred.

Emma did not get a drink instead she walked to the door and opened it. A courier was stationed there along with the guards. She turned to the courier and ordered, “Get Bengt, the Court Physician and have him come here quickly.”

Emma walked back toward Sigfrið. She asked him several questions but did not receive a response. She hurried her pace. She arrived next to his chair and looked at Sigfrið. He appeared to be sleeping. His eyes were closed and he was breathing. She called his name. No response. She called again and still no response. Her heart began to race. She screamed his name and he did not answer. She fell to her knees crying.

Bengt found her sitting on the floor with her legs under her crying. Bengt ran to Sigfrið. He quickly examined him. He then directed the courier to find Emma’s ladies inwaiting and bring them to the room.

He turned to Emma and helped her to her feet.

Holding her hands Bengt said, “milady.”

Between sobs she asked, “Is he?” She could not finish.

Bengt replied, “No, milady.”

Emma asked, “What is wrong?”

Bengt replied, “He is in a coma.”

Emma choked out, “Why?”

Bengt replied, “I believe he had an apoplexy.”

Emma asked, “Can you cure him?”

Bengt answered, “I do not know, milady, I will try. Most often we just have to wait and his body will heal itself and he will wake if God wills it.”

Emma began to cry again, “What can we do?”

Bengt replied, “We can make him comfortable and pray.”

Emma nodded. Bengt had his assistants move Sigfrið from the chair to his bed. Emma stood by and watched in a trance. Several of her ladies in waiting attended to her.

After Bengt made sure everything was right for Sigfrið in his current condition Bengt approached Emma and said, “Milady, I do not cherish doing this but I am obligated to do so.”

Emma looked at Bengt confused, “What is that?”

Bengt replied, “I must declare that King Sigfrið is incapable to rule.”

Emma eyes widened in shock and tears began to well.

Bengt said, “You are now Regent of the Kingdom of Jorvik. May God watch over and protect you.”

Emma began to cry.

• 1Love
Reactions:
Chapter 5.23.3 February 983 Richmond
22 February 983 Richmond

Emma stood near the door with her sword in hand. Ready to pounce on anyone who came through the door. The sounds of fighting had faded from the other side of the door but she could still hear them down the hallway.

She looked at the sword and thought when she first held it. She could remember the day vividly. It was about a year after Sigfrið and her were married and she was alone in the courtyard here in Richmond. King Knut walked into the courtyard and over to Emma who was admiring the fountain. He was carrying the very sword she was holding. He handed to her and asked if she knew how to use. She replied that she did not. He commented that if she was a member of this household she would need to know how to use it. He then proceed to give her hr first lesson. She would continue with lessons the rest of her life. Now some 46 years later she thanked God that Knut had given her the sword and that first lesson. She maybe almost 66 years old but she was sure she could take down many attackers in the small space of the room where they could only come at her one at a time.

Her mind raced over the events of the last three months since Sigfrið was declared incapable. A week after she was declared regent Bishop Borkvard of Worcester, the Court Chaplain, and Jarl Waltheof of East Anglia, the Steward of the kingdom maneuvered Council into having Borkvard declared regent. Count Siweard of Lincoln, the Spymaster of Jorvik was not present and once he heard he fled to Prince Eilif in Shrewsbury where the army was gathering for the coming war against Guichard. The day after seizing the regency Borkvard created the Jarldom of Powys with the County of Shrewsbury. Rumor wast that Brokvard was going to appoint himself Count of Shrewsbury and Jarl of Powys. Bishop Borkvard and Count Eadgar of Northampton with troops from Worcester, East Anglia and Northampton arrived at Richmond making Emma and Sigfrið de facto prisoners. After a few days Borkvard and his troops from Worcester left and returned to Jorvik.

The door suddenly opened. Emma readied the sword as a figure entered. Seeing Emma with the sword the figure shouted, “Mother, no it is I Eilif.”

At first she did not believe but the figure stepped into the room. It was EIlif. His sword was in his hand and bloodied. There was blood on his armor. She lowered the sword.

Eilif smiled, “It is not my blood mother. Do not concern yourself.”

Emma ran to him and embraced him. Crying she said, “Thank God you have come.”

Eilif was going to ask her about his father but Count Eadgar of Northampton entered the room.

Eadgar said, “The castle is secure, milord.”

Emma tensed, pointed her sword at Eadgar and asked, “What is he doing here?”

Eilif answered, “Securing the castle and to watch over you and father.”

Emma replied curtly, “Yes to watch over us for that bastard Borkvard.”

Eilif replied, “No for me.”

Emma looked at Eilif with a confused look.

Eilif said, “Borkvard forgot that Eadgar is a vassal of mine and not father. I asked him to join with any group that wanted to replace you as regent and then volunteer to imprison you and father.”

Emma replied looking at Eadgar, “But you and Sigfrið disliked one another.”

Eadgar said, “Yes at one time we did. But I swore my loyalty to Prince Eilif and I am a man of my word. I never did not want Sigfrið to be king, I just some of his power curtailed. I surely do not want someone like Borkvard running the kingdom.”

Emma then looked at Eilif and said, “So this was planned all along.”

Eilif responded, “Yes, Ælfweard and I discussed this plan just before he died.”

Emma started to tear up again.

Eilif asked, “How is father?”

Emma replied, “No change.”

• 1Love
Reactions:
How very sad. A very poignant couple of scenes.

Reactions:
And a rather more dramatic third scene to cap it off. Eilif shows his talons.

Reactions:
So Sigfrið's end fast approaches. But in one swoop, Eilif has basically crushed the initial opposition he would seemingly face and for all intents and purposes, seized power. Not a bad set of moves from the prince (though perhaps not surprising based on his fairly balanced stats).

Reactions:
How very sad. A very poignant couple of scenes.

I new these were coming and it took several rewrites to get them the way I wanted.

And a rather more dramatic third scene to cap it off. Eilif shows his talons.

Someone had to step up and take charge. Eilif knew what needed to be done and was not afraid to do it to preserve the kingdom.

There is a feeling not far from helplessness in many parts of these posts.

I wanted to portray that events, karma, and fate were now in control. As Sigfrið slipped away so would the kingdom.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Chapter 5.24.1 March 983 Jorvik
Chapter 5.24

yszyS6W.png

5 March 983 Jorvik

Eilif stood in the throne room on the steps below his father’s throne. His father had not been in attendance here for many years. He had chosen to stay in Richmond since his illness stole his ability to move. The few bodies dressed in livery of the Bishopric of Worcester had been removed. When Eilif and his troops from the Barony of Jorvik, the Bishopric of St Peters, the City of Skardaborg, and Counties of Lancaster and Northampton, arrived the gates to Jorvik were opened to them. The only resistance they found was at the palace. That resistance was quickly dispatched.

There was a disturbance at the entryway to the throne room. Eilif turned to face the entry gripping the hilt of his sheathed sword. Count Eadgar of Northampton followed by several troops entered the room. The troops were leading two men whose hands were bound in chains. Count Siweard of Lincoln followed the group into the room.

The two shackled men were brought before Eilif. They were unceremoniously thrown to the ground. They quickly tried to rise but several soldiers prevent them from standing.

Eilif looked at the two men and in voice filled with malice said, “Bishop Borkvard and Jarl Waltheof.”

Borkvard looked up at the prince, and said, “By what right do you come here and attack me? I am regent.”

Eilif looked up to see Haraldr Akra, Chancellor of Jorvik being escorted into the room by guards.

Eilif looked down at Borkvard, “Regent you say. Since we have five members of the King’s Council here let’s put it to a vote.”

Eilif looked around the room and said, “I vote to remove you.”

Siweard then said, “I also vote to remove you.”

Haraldr looked frightened as he said, “I vote for removal.”

Borkvard smirked, “You seem to forget that as regent I have my vote along with the king’s vote and any ties as regent I decide.” Borkvard looked at Waltheof and his smile got bigger.

Eilif looked at Waltheof and asked, “And how do you vote Steward?”

Waltheof looked around the room. Other than Borkvard there were no allies. All the men were either Eilif’s men or Eadgar’s men. Waltheof thought hard and came to the conclusion that a no vote would most likely cost him his life.

Waltheof sheepishly said, “I vote for removal.”

Borkvard’s face first was confused and then fearful.

Eilif said, “Four votes to two. Bishop Borkvard you are no longer my father’s regent.”

Siweard then said, “I proposed that Prince Eilif be appointed regent.”

Eilif smiled. Haraldr and Waltheof quickly voted for Eilif.

Eilif said, “I thank you fellow Council members for your confidence in me.” He then looked at Borkvard and Waltheof and said, “As my first official act as regent, Bishop Borkvad you are removed as Court Chaplain, and Jarl Waltheof you are no longer Steward.”

Waltheof protested, “But milord, I voted your way.”

Eilif replied, “To save your life. You past transgressions against my mother and father are not forgiven. As for you Borkvard your fate will be decided later.” He then looked up and ordered, “Guards take these two to the dungeons.”

The guards grabbed them and marched them out of the room. Eilif walked to Haraldr. Haraldr was almost shaking with fear. When Borkvard had proposed to remove Emma as regent he voted against the queen and then voted to install Borkvard as regent.

Eilif looked Haraldr and said, “Your actions just now do not atone fully for what you did to my mother. Since you did the right thing I will allow you to make a choice.”

Haraldr swallowed and took a deep breath, “I resign as Chancellor.”

Eilif smiled, “Good choice.” Eilif nodded at the guards. The guards then escorted Haraldr from the room.

Eadgar and Siweard approached Eilif.

Eilif said to them, “For my father and mother and myself I sincerely thank you both.”

Siweard said, “It was our honor to serve our king.”

Siweard then turned serious, “Milord you cannot run the kingdom with only three councilors. You must fill the open positions.”

Eilif said, “You are correct. Bengt will be Court Chaplain and Mayor Ingemar of Skardaborg will be Steward. These positions are temporary until we decide who will permanently hold the positions.”

Siweard nodded.

Eadgar asked, “And who would will be Chancellor?”

Eilif smiled and replied, “You of course.”

Eadagr was taken aback, “Me milord? My diplomatic skills are not the worthy of such a position.”

Eilif chuckled, “I am not here to debate. I need someone I can trust. When the war is done we will sort out who will hold the position permanently.”

Eadgar nodded reluctantly.

The three began to leave the throne room. They were stopped by several guards dragging a struggling man into the room. When the guards saw the three they stopped and threw the man down.

One guard said, “We found him trying to escape.”

Eadgar looked at the man and anger showed on his face, “Thurcytel!”

Thurcytel looked at Eilif, then Siweard, and finally Eadgar, “Father? You are with them?”

Eadgar replied, “Yes, I am loyal to my king.”

Thurcytel said, “Then you are a fool. Borkvard was our last hope to prevent further needless wars and curtail the absolute power of the king.”

Eadagr then slapped Thurcytel across the face, “You are no son of mine.”

Thurcytel replied, “You have made that abundantly clear for many years. You always sided with Eilif when we were children and now you are still doing so against your own blood and common sense.”

Eadgar reached for his sword. Siweard stepped between Eadgar and Thurcytel. Eilif looked at Eadgar and then back to Thurcytel.

Eilif then said to Thurcytel, “You have always brought shame to your father.”

Before Thurcytel could replied Eilif ordered the guards to remove him to the dungeons. The guards had to forcibly remove Thurcytel as he punched and kicked at them while cursing Eadgar and Eilif. Finally one of the guards put Thurcytel’s struggles to an end with the but of his halbred.

Eadgar said to Eilif, “Milord, I am sorry for that.”

Eilif replied, “There is no need.Thurcytel is an adult and he is permitted to make his own bad decisions.”

Eilif then said to them, “Come counselors we must go and rescue King Cynwrig from Guichard.”

• 1Love
Reactions: