• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Chapter 5.17.5 November 977 Jorvik
20 November 977 Jorvik

Eilif stood outside the doors nervously waiting to announced. He did not know the reason for the invitation to the throne room. Eilif and his wife Elisabeth had been ordered to dress in their finest clothes for this was a formal event. He speculated that some kind of ceremony was going to be held but he did not the nature of it.

They were announced and now proceed down the aisle As they did so he noticed that all of the Council were present as well as many of the lords of the land. They stopped before the dais atop which sat his mother and father. His father’s face was stern while his mother had a huge smile.

Sigfrið then said, “Jarl Waltheof of East Anglia, Steward of the Kingdom you may read the proclamation.”

Waltheof unrolled a scroll and read, “By the order of Sigfrið King of Jorvik and in the eyes of God the Jarldom of Deheubarth is created with the Counties of Dyfed, Glamorgan, and Gwent. The king hereby appoints Prince Eilif Sigfriðsson Hvistrek the Count of Dyfed and the Jarl of Deheubarth.”

Eilif was surprised. He knew his father had been receiving some pressure to grant some new jarldoms but he did not expect to be the recipient of one. Elisabeth was beaming with pride. She would now have a household to run.

The ceremony then continued with the swearing of loyalty and fealty. After the oaths were completed the new Jarl and Duchess were presented to the audience. There were loud cheers and applause for Eilif.

With the eating and entertainment portions of the feast completed Eilif moved among the guest accepting their congratulations.

Eilif found himself talking with Jarl Ælfweard of Northumberland.

Eilif said, “I am surprised to see you here Jarl Ælfweard considering you lead a faction that seeks to weaken my father.”

Ælfweard said, “While I may disagree with your father on some matters I always respond to my obligations and when summoned to attend a royal ceremony I do so.”

Eilif responded, “My father granting land to another will turn some away from your cause as he has now acted upon their concerns.”

Ælfweard said, “Some will and some won’t”

Eilif said, “Like your coconspirator Count Eadgar of Northampton. He did not answer his summons.”

Ælfweard saaid, “Count Eadgar is somewhat passionate about his beliefs. However, I would not concern myself about the count but his son Thurcytel. He is a different story. For some reason he feels very strongly about seeing you fail. I do not understand the source of his dislike.”

Eilif said, “When we were younger and he was here at court and competed at various games I generally bested him. His father did not care for that and let Thurcytel know. I guess he blames me for whatever hardship followed because of his performance.”

Eilif and Ælfweard parted ways. Eilif then spotted someone he truly wanted to speak with. He maneuvered over to Countess Cyneswith of Bedford. Eilif knew her for as long as he could remember. She frequented court with her father Count Oswulf when he was Marshal. When her mother died and she became Countess of Bedford he saw her less frequently. Eilif had always been attracted to her and now that he saw her again even more so.

“Eilif, congratulations, “ said Cyneswith.

Eilif replied, “Thank you, Cyneswith. It has been too long since we have seen one another.”

Cyneswith replied, “that is correct. I remember the bratty little boy who would chase me when I visited court and threaten to throw me in the moat.”

Eilif blushed, “I am sorry about that I tended to be a troublesome boy back then.”

Cyneswith said, “But you are not a boy any longer. You are fine young man, a veteran of many battles, and now a count and jarl.”

Eilif said, “You are a lovely young lady and a countess of two counties.”

Eilif then heard Steward Waltheof calling his name. Eilif muttered, “Damn”

Cyneswith asked, “Is everything alright.”

Eilif said, “Yes but apparently I have to meet someone or perform some duty. It was good to see you again.”

Cyneswith said, “Yes it was. We must get together and catch up on things. We should also get together so we can know one another better.”

Eilif replied, “Yes that sounds good.’ He then took his leave to find Waltheof.

A few moments after Eilif left Ælfweard walked up to Cyneswith.

Ælfweard said, “Careful there lass. I hear he has quite an appetite.”

Cyneswith said, “So do I if you remember. But mine does not end in the bedroom I desire power. There are many ways that woman can curry the favor of those she needs.”

As she walked away she ran her finger along Ælfweard’s beard leaving him speechless and a little jealous.

• 1Love
Reactions:
The hyenas are circling ... I hope Eilif is aware of that.

The scene between Sigfrið and Totil was rather touching, the first true affection I can ever really recall seeing between them. I not sure if that absolutely is the case - I honestly can't remember what we knew of their childhoods very well now, but it struck me as I read it. It was almost as if they were tacitly making peace with each other.

Reactions:
Thanks for the comments.

The hyenas are circling ... I hope Eilif is aware of that.

The scene between Sigfrið and Totil was rather touching, the first true affection I can ever really recall seeing between them. I not sure if that absolutely is the case - I honestly can't remember what we knew of their childhoods very well now, but it struck me as I read it. It was almost as if they were tacitly making peace with each other.

Eilif is beginning to suspect the hyenas are gathering. He still has learning to do but he is getting good advice and when the time comes we will see how he does.

That was the impression I was going for, a reconciliation between the brothers. As Sigfrið's illness advances I see him wanting to clear the slate whenever possible. He knows his time is short and Judgement Day awaits. There is 30 years difference in ages between the two brothers. Totil was just over a year old when Knut died and he became Jarl of Lancaster. Therefore most of their relationship would have been lord and vassal.

I also appreciated the interchange between the brothers...very real and in many ways. Apart from Lordship, :)I lived it.

I based the interaction on my children and their interaction. Wanting to kill one another one minute and the next they are inseparable.

Some events are going to happen in coming chapters that are going to change the mood of many characters. Stages are being set for the future now and in the ensuing chapters. There will be turmoil within and without the kingdom.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Eilif and Cyneswith... I could see him getting the raw deal there so he should watch out. On the other hand, I could also see her being enamored with being the king's top lover and using that for power and influence, meaning everyone else had better watch out.

Reactions:
Eilif and Cyneswith... I could see him getting the raw deal there so he should watch out. On the other hand, I could also see her being enamored with being the king's top lover and using that for power and influence, meaning everyone else had better watch out.

As you have already seen Eilif is a "player". Cyneswith also has her "desires". The two of them together will be an interesting subplot through the next several chapters. At some point down the road the relationship will go from power and control to survival.

Reactions:
Chapter 5.18.1 May 978 Bishopric of St Peters
Chapter 5.18

PlEBmAc.png

4 May 978 Bishopric of St Peters

The cold stone monastery rose before the small band of riders. This group was no group of pilgrims or those seeking to purchase the monk’s beer they brewed. This was an important group for it was lead by Bishop Ivar of St Peters, the Court Chaplain and the Court Physician of Jorvik. On this trip besides his guards Ivar brought Father Björn.

Björn was Ivar’s designated successor for the Bishopric of St Peters. He was not Ivar’s first choice but he was the most loyal to Ivar and the king. At times Björn appeared slow and even dimwitted at times. Ivar knew that Björn would not become Court Chaplain and that concerned him. The one most likely to become Court Chaplin was Bishop Borkvard of Worcester. Ivar did not trust Borkvard one bit. To Ivar Borkvard was power hungry and a man who held grudges far too long. Borkvard had done well as one of Sigfrið’s commanders during the last few wars.

Björn snapped Ivar out of thoughts when he asked, “Who are visiting here, Your Eminence?”

Ivar responded, “We are here to visit an old friend named Pirkoi.”

Björn asked, “Pirkoi who is that?”

Ivar answered, “A long time ago Pirkoi was the court physician to King Knut and later to King Sigfrið.”

UPsg957.png

Björn asked, “Then why is he here and not at court?”

Ivar said, “He was a sorry casualty of the Ingemar of Northumberland mess. He was first tricked by Ingemar of Northumberland into betraying the king. Then Ingemar betrayed Pirkoi to the king and Pirkoi was thrown into the dungeon. After Ingemar was deposed the king would not lessen Pirkoi’s sentence even though the the evidence showed Pirkoi truly thought he was trying to prevent ill from happening to Sigfrið’s daughter, Bodil. Queen Emma and I, however convinced him to change it to house arrest and Pirkoi was brought here.”

Björn then asked, “Ingemar that was the jarl who was possessed by a demon?”

Ivar said, “Yes.”

Björn asked, “Why do you visit him?”

Ivar said, “He was a great man and a great physician. He did not deserve what happened to him. I enjoy conversing with him. We speak of many things and he is very educated and well read. Mind you he is Jewish and he and I have had many long and thoughtful conversations about the Old Testament. As court physician I have secertly relied on his knowledge many times. It was Pirkoi who discovered the ailment that afflicts the king. Together he and I have tried to find a cure for it or a way to treat it.”

Björn asked, “Why did you bring me?”

Ivar answered, “When I pass you will be Bishop of St Peters and his care will fall to you.”

Björn replied, “I understand.”

As they finished they reached the door to Pirkoi’s cell. Ivar knocked. There was no reply. He knocked again and slowly opened the door. In the room there was a bed against the wall and next to a small table with two chairs. There were books and scrolls stren around the room. Pirkoi was sitting in a chair with his head down resting.

Ivar called, “Pirkoi I have brought someone for you to meet.”

Pirkoi did not respond. Ivar said, “Pirkoi?” Again no response.

Ivar walked over to Pirkoi and checked for a pulse and breathing. He found neither. With tears welling up in his eyes he turned to Björn and said, “He is finally at peace.”

• 1Love
Reactions:
Chapter 5.18.2 June 978 Chester
30 June 978 Chester

Eadburg took the message from the courier. She looked at the scroll and knew it contained some urgent matter he husband Prince Totil, Chancellor of Jorvik would have to address. She was beginning to curse the day Totil was appointed Chancellor. Since becoming Chancellor Totil was always on the move. He was visiting lords in Jorvik smoothing ruffled feathers, negotiating some treaty or deal, or just attending a ceremony as the king’s representative. There were times he traveled abroad most frequently to Leinster trying to secure a claim to the county for Sigfrið.

Eadburg entered Totil’s study. Papers were strewn about the room. One of his assistants was trying to organize the mess but Totil kept interrupting him asking for this document or another. A second assistant sat at small table taking notes. Eadburg noticed the uneaten breakfast and the now cold bowl of broth.

Totil looked up from the document he was reading and seeing Eadburg he smiled. She returned the smile

Eadburg said, “You did not touch your breakfast.. You didn’t even drink your broth. You know Hilda the cook gets very agitated when her food is not eaten.”

Totil smiled, “I will make it up to her, I promise.”

Eadburg said, “You did come to bed again last night.”

Totil said, “I am sorry. We working late and I feel asleep here.”

Eadburg saw the disheveled blankets thrown over the cot along the wall. She sighed, “You are supposed to be resting. Queen Emma sent you home to do so because she is concerned you are working yourself to death. I echo her concerns, my love.”

Totil said, “I promise in a day or so I can relax.”

Eadburg looked down at the floor. “I am afraid not”, she said handing him the message.

Totil said, “Why not?”

Eadburg replied, “Count Kettil of Gloucester is dead.”

Totil replied, “One of his many lovers’ husbands finally had enough?”

Eadburg replied, “Close very close. Six days ago Kettil decided to take a carriage ride to visit a friend. When he stepped out of the carriage he shot full of arrows. They caught one of the assassins and under questioning he revealed that Kettil’s wife Margaret of Norfolk was behind the assassination.”

Ig2CriH.png

Totil said, “sounds like Margaret had enough of his affairs. Kettil’s son Jedvard should be count now?”

Eadburg said, “Is he not only 13 years old?”

Totil replied, “Yes and I would suspect that Kettil’s brother, Rögnvaldr is regent.”

Eadburg said, “You make that sound like a bad thing.”

Totil said, “Rögnvaldr is a power hungry schemer who would stop at nothing to get what he wants. If if he is after the County of Gloucester then Jedvard may not be long for this world.”

Eadburg asked, “Do you suspect Rögnvaldr may have been involved in Kettil’s death?”

Totil said, “Thinking about it probably. Margaret had plotted to kill Kettil numerous times in the past. This time she is successful. I think she may have some help.”

Eadburg said, “I guess you will be going to Gloucester to investigate for the king.”

Totil said, “Yes, the message orders it.”

Eadburg turned and began walking out of the chamber with her head down. Totil sat silently watching her.

Then he spoke, “My dear.”

Eadburg stopped and turned. Totil could see she was beginning to cry.

Totil smiled, “Traveling to Gloucester gives me an excuse to abandon this work and prepare for my journey. We could travel together to Gloucester. Take a ship and stop in Dinefwr and visit Eilif and Elisabeth. This way we can have some time together.”

Eadburg asked, “And when will you stop working on this?”

Totil answered, “Now.”

Totil rose from behind the desk and walked to Eadburg. He put an arm around her waist and began to lead her from the study. Eadburg smiled and leaned her head into his chest.

Last edited:
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Ah, sorry to see Pirkoi go.

Totil may yet be the bridge that sees the realm successful traverse the chasm separating the reign of Sigfrið and Eilif.

Reactions:
Chapter 5.18.3 May 979 Jorvik
10 May 979 Jorvik

Emma sat with Sigfrið on the balcony enjoying the nice spring day. As time was passing Sigfrið was losing more and more of his ability to sit and rise from a chair. On warm, sunny days, like the one today, he generally felt better. His stiffness seemed to be less and his spirits were higher. On this particular day he was able to walk to the balcony and sit without assistance. Perhaps it was the news that had arrived several days ago.

The news that had arrived from Chester was the joyous birth of twins to Prince Totil and Duchess Eadburg,13 days ago. They were named Guðrun for the girl baby and Sumarliði for the boy baby. All indications were that the babies and mother were healthy and well.

d5SCjTZ.png
nYZ6YhD.png

Emma and Sigfrið discussed the gifts that they had sent the babies. Sigfrið thought that the gifts were not appropriate for their age. Emma laughed it off.

Sigfrið said, “I am telling you that rocking horses are not the right gift now.”

Emma replied, “They will grow into them and it will be so adorable.”

Sigfrið shook his head.

Sigfrið then said, “When Totil and family are well enough to travel I will invite him here and as a present I will grant him the County of Lancaster.”

Emma smiled, “Totil will be surprised and overjoyed.”

Sigfrið said, “Yes and now Totil will be able to change his succession laws from Seniority to Gavelkind now that he has a male heir.”

Emma asked, “Why was it not changed before?”

Sigfrið answered, “If it was before he had an male heir Count Vagn of Westmoreland would have been the heir.”

Their conversations turned to the weather and how the crops would do this year. They wondered what the cook would prepare for their lunch today.

Then a servant approached Emma, “Milady, a messenger has arrived from Chester.”

Emma, thinking it was a thank you from Totil and Eadburg excused herself and eagerly followed the servant. To Sigfrið Emma seemed to be away for an especially long time. Being concerned Sigfrið forced himself to stand and was going to try to walk over her. The messenger departed and Emma slowly walked back to Sigfrið with her head down almost trancelike.

Reaching Sigfrið Emma buried her face into his chest and shoulder. A surprisedSigfrið at first did not know what to do and then he put his arms around her. Emma cried hard into chest. Sigfrið let her cry. After a moment she looked up at him. Tears ran down her cheeks.

Sigfrið took her chin into his hand and held her head up. He looked deep into her eyes and stammered, “What?”

Emma cleared her throat and sobbed, “Your brother Prince Totil died five days ago.”

Sigfrið almost lost his balance but he regained it enough to fall into the chair. “How?”

Emma sat down. “He collapsed in his study while going over documents. They found him unconscious and he passed away several hours later. The physician said that he suffered an apoplexy which lead to his death a few hours later. ”

O1i78AE.png

Sigfrið tried to hold back a sob but he could not. He mumbled, “Again we pay for our father’s sins. Totil with his life like our other brothers. For my punishment for being the oldest I am trapped in a body that does not work and must watch all my siblings die.”

Emma rose out of the chair and hugged her husband.

Sigfrið said, “I cannot even go to the funeral. You must go.”

Emma replied, “You know I cannot leave you. Eilif will represent us.”

Sigfrið nodded.

A week later a scroll arrived in Bamborg, County of Northumberland. Jarl Ælfweard opened the scroll and discovered he was now Chancellor of Jorvik.

At the same time Ælfweard was opening his scroll Prince Eilif, Jarl of Deheubarth was also opening a scroll. To Eilif surprise he had been appointed Count of Lancaster and Jarl of Lancaster

Last edited:
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Oh no! I did not foresee that. It really does seem like a curse is, one by one, afflicting all of Knut's children.

Reactions:
Ah, sorry to see Pirkoi go.

Totil may yet be the bridge that sees the realm successful traverse the chasm separating the reign of Sigfrið and Eilif.

Pirkoi was a tragic character. I had to find way to finish his tale.

Oh no! I did not foresee that. It really does seem like a curse is, one by one, afflicting all of Knut's children.

This game seems to hate the children of the kings of Jorvik.

Reactions:
Geez, just when Totil was starting to come into his own that happens.

So the weird thing about this curse - it seems to afflict everyone of a generation but one so far. Knut's brother was murdered, but he was long-lived. Sigfrið has had a long-life, even if his siblings have all suffered tragedy. So perhaps Eilif will be the lucky one.

Reactions:
Geez, just when Totil was starting to come into his own that happens.

So the weird thing about this curse - it seems to afflict everyone of a generation but one so far. Knut's brother was murdered, but he was long-lived. Sigfrið has had a long-life, even if his siblings have all suffered tragedy. So perhaps Eilif will be the lucky one.

As I said before the game is hard on the children of the King of Jorvik.

Since so many of the offspring of the king died I thought that in that time people would start to blame a curse. The "curse" will help with some other events further on in the story.

Reactions:
Chapter 5.19.1 November 979 Lancaster
Chapter 5.19

I36EYre.png

23 November 979 Lancaster

Prince Eilif, Jarl of Lancaster and Deheubarth sat at the desk in his study going through several mundane reports. Times like this the prince wished he could be hunting or commanding an army in the field. Since moving his court from Dinefwr to Lancaster in July it seemed to him that days like this had dramatically increased.

Jarl Waltheof of East Anglia, Steward of Jorvik entered Eilif’s study. Waltheof looked tired and worn out. Dust from the road covered his cloak.

“Waltheof what brings you to Lancaster?” Eilif said as he rose to greet the Steward.

“The king’s business as usual, “ Waltheof replied.

With a smile Eilif offered some wine to Waltheof who took it gratefully. A servant took Waltheof’s cloak and gloves. The two jarls took their seats and Eilif said, “Well let’s get to it then. Why did my father send his Steward on such a hard ride?”

Waltheof, “First is to offer congratulations on the victory over Totil and his band of raiders from Gästrikland at Carmarthen.”

Eilif said, “It wasn’t much of battle. As usual the honor and glory goes to Kettilmund. He was the in command. I was just one of the flank commanders.”

LJwFW6O.png

Waltheof continued, “The king was concerned that the raiders landed in August and it took until November to drive them out.”

Eilif said, “Dyfed is a long way from anywhere. The roads through all of Deheubarth leave a lot to be desired. It made moving the army through there extremely difficult. In some cases the army had to rebuild the road so it could get anywhere.”

Waltheof said, “I know the king will be wondering if anything is being done to correct the roads.”

Eilif replied, “We are doing what we can. When I was just Jarl of Deheubarth finding gold to do anything could be trying at times. Count Padern of Glamorgan was always broke when it came time to collect taxes. Count Þrogil of Gwent is a one-legged lying lunatic. Collecting taxes from him was sporadic at best. Now with the resources of the Jarldom of Lancaster we are instituting a program to fix and expand the roads in Deheubarth and also to construct some needed improvement in Dyfed.”

Waltheof smiled, “Your father would be proud of you.”

Eilif said, “My father did not send you here to congratulate me on an insignificant battle or the condition of the roads in a faroff county.”

Watheof smiled, “I had to first bring the sugar before the bitter herbs.”

Eilif responded, “Now I am concerned.”

Watheof said, “What knowledge do you have of Count Eadgar of Northampton?”

Eilif said, “He is ambitious to the point of being a pain. I have heard that he can be very cruel at times and many are afraid to cross him. He keeps joining and creating various factions against my father. His son Thurcytel and I had many disagreements, and I tended to best him in many competitions much to the displeasure of his father Eadgar. Why do you ask?”

Waltheof responded with a chuckle, “He is yours to deal with now. The king has transferred his vassalage to you.”

KTgmsqZ.png

Eilif said with a little anger, “Now why did he do that?”

Waltheof said, “The king feels it would do you good to learn how to deal a problematic vassal like Eadgar now before you are king.”

Eilif gave Waltheof a look of disbelief.

Waltheof chucked, “Your mother’s plan. She is trying to remove as much stress from your father as possible. If it means transfer the vassalage of a few troubling counts then that is what will be done.”

Eilif understood and appreciated what his mother was doing. He just wished she had chosen another to give the troublesome count. Eilif thought that perhaps it would be good to practice his skills in dealing with Eadgar now then later when he had a kingdom to worry about. Dealing with Count Vagn of Westmoreland had tested his skills to some extent already.

Waltheof and Eilif discussed some other minor matters they had in common. Eilif invited Waltheof to spend the night which he gladly accepted. Waltheof then departed to go to his chambers to clean up and get ready for dinner.

Out of a dark corner a figure appeared. Eilif was startled by the movement. He quickly spun around and came face to face with his furious wife, Elisabeth. With a quick motion she slapped Eilif across the face.

MJrxr6S.png

Elisabeth said bitingly, “You did not tell him everything about Carmathen and why you took longer to get there.”

Eilif, confused rubbed his stinging cheek and replied, “I do know not what you are speaking of.”

Elisabeth fired back, “Yes you do liar. It was because your tramp was brought along and she brought her bastard that you sired with her.”

Eilif fired back, “And who would that be?”

Elisabeth replied, “Eadhild the Unchaste of Warwick and your daughter Ælfthryth.”

wta5YaH.png

Eilif minded was racing trying to reason how she knew?

Elisabeth continued, “Did you really think that I would not learn of your indiscretions? Everyone knows about them. They are the talk of the court. You have not made any efforts to hide them. You think going off to some far off counties keeps you safe and from eyes that report back to me. You are a bigger fool than I thought.”

“How many are there? Three, four, five?” One in every county?”

“Have you bedded that harlot from Bedford yet? What is her name Cyneswith?”

Eilif stood silent. Fury was beginning to mount but he kept it under control. He unconsciously was opening and closing his fist. Elisabeth saw it and began to wonder if she overstepped her bounds. After all he was the heir to the throne. The throne of an absolute king.

Elisabeth thought she now needed to retreat from the edge of the precipice she had brought herself to.

“Do not worry. I know that I cannot stop you from your conquests. Our marriage is not for love but for the convenience of our fathers and their desires. I will perform my wifely duties because it my obligation. But know that is why I do it and for no other reason.”

She spun around and stormed out of the room. Eilif still stood silent. He slowly gathered his wits and sat heavily in the chair. He would need to be more careful in the future. Although he if he had any further bastards and they were male he may be forced to legitimize them to ensure he had an heir of his loins. The curse on his family and the children of the king demanded it. Eilif was not sure he rely solely on Elisabeth to bare him any heirs.

• 1Love
Reactions:
Chapter 5.19.2 February 980 Lancaster
19 February 980 Lancaster

Normally Eilif did not go to the docks to meet visitors. However, he decided that this one was worth the effort. Also it got him out of the castle for a time. Elisabeth had calmed down since confronting him regarding his love affairs several months ago. There were times where her mood reverted back to being unpleasant and Eilif usually felt the brunt of it. The last few days were one of those times.

The boat quickly docked and the crew secured it. After a few moments a gangplank was placed and several people disembarked. Eilif was interested in one in particular. The person in question was wrapped in an old grey cloak with the hood up. Eilif could see some of his greying beard protruding from the darkness of the hood. Once the man was close enough Eilif could see only one eye looking at him from under the hood. Eilif could also see the man’s big smile.

The man stopped before Eilif and said, “A welcoming party. What a pleasant surprise.”

Eilif smiled and responded, “Welcome to Lancaster Jarl Ælfweard.”

Eilif gestured toward the carriage waiting for them. They walked toward it. Eilif asked, “How was your crossing?”

Ælfweard replied, “Smooth enough, but it is good to be back on friendly soil.”

A footman opened the door and the two jarls climbed in and sat facing one another.

Eilif asked, “How is the situation in Leinster?”

Ælfweard replied, “Not good laddy. Earl Carloman died of pneumonia on the fourteenth. King Manassés II of Aquitaine is now lord of Leinster.”

Eilif asked, “Why do say not good?”

Ælfweard replied, “It is like an occupation over there. Manassés must have had troop secreted away in various places. Within hours of Carloman dying Manassés’ banners were everywhere and his soldiers were restoring order as they called it. Many of the foolish Irish inhabitants thought either Earl Tuireann of Cill Dara or Petty King Rogaliach of Connachta would be their new lord not some Occitan king.”

Eilif said, “It was as my father feared.”

Ælfweard said, “I agree with your father wrestling control from the Occitan is going to be very difficult. There are digging in like a tick on a hound.”

Eilif looked at Ælfweard sideways. Hearing the leader of a group that wanted to increase the power of the council at the expense of his father say he agreed with his father was a surprise.

Ælfweard caught Eilif’s look and laughed, “There are many things that King Sigfrið and I do not see eye to eye on. However one that we do is that Aquitaine does not rule in Leinster. These Isles are not for someone from across the Channel like France, Lotharingia, or Aquitaine to hold. And since my brother’s heirs in London have made their opinion of me well known then I say it is density for Jorvik to rule these Isles.”

Ælfweard sighed, “My problem with your father is that he has tried to be like his father. Knut was a great king, one of a kind. He made Jorvik the most powerful and advanced kingdom in Britain and Ireland and maybe Western Europe. Sigfrið has spent too much time, gold, and lives in needless wars.”

Eilif was going to protest but Ælfweard held up his hand, “Let me finish.”

After a moment Ælfweard continued, “My house owes a great deal to your grandfather. Knut for all intends placed my brother Eanhere on the throne of England. Contrary to what many think I do not want to see Jorvik fail. Now that I am part of Jorvik I want to see it thrive and prosper. With endless wars we cannot do that. While we seem strong we are growing weaker and one day someone will take advantage of that. I have a jarldom now that I wish to leave to my son some day stronger than when I got it. Having King Manassés in Leinster will present problems for that wish and the wellbeing of the kingdom some day. It gives him a base to disrupt all the kingdoms in the Isles. Lucky for us he is busy fighting Muslims and being enterally suspicious of France. I fear the day he turns his attention to Ireland and Jorvik.”

Despite himself Eilif was finding that he was liking Ælfweard. Then he thought about his father the king and how he treated Ælfweard. Even though the two had been enemies in one form or another for at least thirty years Sigfrið had never displayed any hate or mocking toward Ælfweard unlike his other enemies. Looking back he realized his father truly respected Ælfweard despite their differences. From what he could see here and after hearing Ælfweard it seemed to Eilif that the Jarl was like minded toward the king.

Eilif then asked, “How went getting a claim for Leinster.”

Ælfweard said, “It was very difficult but we were progressing and I think within a year we would have secured one. Now with Carolman’s death we have to start at the beginning again.”

Eilif asked, “Will you return to Leinster?”

Ælfweard said, “Yes I plan to do so. I want to let the shock wear off before I do. In the meantime I will visit my jarldom and see how well its keeping.”

Ælfweard then asked, “Pardon me but I did not ask about the health of your father.”

Eilif replied, “He is doing as well as can be expected. He has good days and bad days. His body maybe failing but his mind is still sharp.”

Ælfweard’s look became serious, “If I may give you some advice.”

Eilif responded, “By all means.”

Ælfweard said, “A day will come when your father’s mind may fail him also. Be ready for that day and know you may need to take drastic action to secure your birthright and the kingdom’s wellbeing.”

Eilif looked confused, “Yes I understand.”

Ælfweard continued, “Your mother is Designated Regent. Remember that there those who will take advantage of her and her love for your father. They will try to take advantage to do far more then increase the power of the council. They are greedy and hunger for power. If they oust your mother as regent you must be prepared to take action and ensure that the kingdom remains strong. You must use whatever it takes including use force if necessary.”

Eilif looked at Ælfweard suspiciously, “Why do you offer me this advice. I would have thought you would be trying to force your agenda on the kingdom.”

Ælfweard said with a smile, “I might but I have also have a jarldom that is coveted by many in England and Scotland. Keeping Northumberland is very important to me. A strong Jorvik makes that easier.”

They arrived at Eilif’s castle. They both exited the carriage. “Rooms have been prepared for your stay.” Eilif said.

Ælfweard thanked him and followed a servant to his chambers.

Eilif was not happy. He knew Ælfweard’s advise and words of wisdom come with a price. The old sly jarl will want something in return some day. Eilif resented that Ælfweard had maneuvered him into a corner in a sense.

The other reason Eilif was not happy was he knew he had to now send a message to his father explaining the situation in Leinster.

• 1Love
Reactions:
Chapter 5.19.3 April 980 Jorvik
19 April 980 Jorvik

Emma meet Jarl Waltheof as he entered the library. Waltheof could see that the king was sitting in a large chair with several pillows facing the window. The king appeared to be asleep.

Emma looked at Waltheof, “What is it and can it wait. The king is resting now.”

Waltheof said, “I will leave the decision of when to tell him my news to your discretion.”

Emma replied, “Thank you. What has brought you here this afternoon.”

Waltheof said, “Marshal Kettilmund was killed this morning.”

Emma was shocked, “What happened?”

Waltheof replied, “He was training new recruits for the barony cavalry unit. They were practicing charging when his horse stepped in an unseen hole. The horse tripped and Kettilmund was thrown from the horse. He broke his neck when landed. He died instantly.”

Emma said, “That is a tragic loss for the kingdom. He was a great general and lead our armies to many victories.”

Waltheof agreed, “Yes he will be greatly missed. Who will replace him?”

Emma said, “As you are aware we have spoken about this situation happening on many occasions and know that the king has made his desire that Prince Eilif be promoted to Marshal if anything happened to Kettilmund.”

Waltheof asked, “Should we ask the king just to be sure he has not changed his mind?”

Emma said, “I know he has not but I will ask him when he wakes.”

Waltheof answered, “Yes, milady.”

Emma ordered, “Have the documents drawn up promoting Eilif and have them ready for the king’s signature.”

Waltheof said, “I will.”

He then took his leave and left the library. As he walked down the hallway a figure appeared out of the shadows. The figure stopped before Waltheof.

Waltheof spoke in hushed tones, “You may tell your Countess I now understand why the Council must have more power.”

Ælfstan Morgansson, Spymaster of Countess Cyneswith of Bedford smiled and spoke softly, “You have seen for yourself why the current situation is becoming more and more intolerable.”

Waltheof replied, “Yes I have. The king says that we must listen to Queen Emma and that she speaks for him. We cannot question his orders and must obey the Queen. If the Council had more power they could speak for the king not his power hungry wife.”

Ælfstan replied, “The Countess will be so pleased by your change in heart.”

Ælfstan then faded back into the shadows. Waltheof resumed his journey to his office.

• 1Love
Reactions:
At the end Sifriđ starts to be betrayed on every side.

My favourite scene here was with Ælfward. I think it aptly demonstrates his honeyed tongue.

Reactions:
At the end Sifriđ starts to be betrayed on every side.

My favourite scene here was with Ælfward. I think it aptly demonstrates his honeyed tongue.

The pack knows the alpha is fading and they are gathering to replace him.

Ælfward has many parts to play in the coming chapters.

Reactions:
So the seed planted to split mother and son apart. I would say I hope Eilif is smart enough not to fall for such tricks but there already too many signs he will. I can just imagine what will happen if Cyneswith tells him to go against the Queen.

But Eilif better be careful. He already makes enemies with his wife. Never a good thing...

Reactions: