• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Yes it was a very convivial council - may it always be so (but somehow I doubt it will be).

Very sad about Emma.

Reactions:
The poor queen. She and Sigfrið were the first king and queen to have a long-lasting relationship - because they were the first to actually both live for a long time. It's sad to see her lose the will to live as she has though.

Your writing in this chapter was pretty snappy and on point. I thought that was the best though - the comfort level of the council and Eilif really showed through there. I know it will not be smooth sailing forever, but it certainly set the mood of a council that likes the king and a king who is in control. And it was a witty line. :)

Seeing Emma fading away is hard. She and Sigfrið were such a team. They saw that Eilif was groomed to perfection and it has paid off. He is in control. There are some rough times coming and keeping control could prove to be difficult.

Yes it was a very convivial council - may it always be so (but somehow I doubt it will be).

Very sad about Emma.

It is the Council I wish it would stay agreeable but we all know how that turns out.

When I started writing I almost forgot about Emma. I had several chapters in rough draft when I finally checked on her. I was hoping she would still have a large part to play but I was disappointed at where she was.

Reactions:
Chapter 6.1.3 July 984 Bedford
16 July 984 Bedford

Count Padern was on edge. His being in Bedford was supposed to have been a secret or at the very least without fanfare. Here he was returning from a secret meeting with fellow conspirators against the king’s power, traveling in the lands of one of the king’s mistresses. The last thing he wanted was to be noticed. But he had been noticed. The Countess sent a messenger to invite him to her castle. He could not refuse her invitation. Doing so would bring more attention upon himself then the fact he was traveling in her lands unannounced.

FXf58GE.png

Padern rode into the bailey of Cyneswith’s castle. There he was met by Countess Cyneswith and her children.

“Greetings Count Padern. We are so glad you have accepted our invitation,” Cyneswith said.

Padern dismounted along with his men. He returned her greeting, “Thank you Countess and greetings to you and your family.” Cyneswith extended her hand. Padern took into and kissed the back of her hand.

Cyneswith smiled and replied, “Let me introduce you to my children. This is Ealdgyth.” Padern took the 11 year old girl’s hand, bowed, and kissed the back of her hand. Ealdgyth blushed.

Cyneswith continued, “This is Ealdmond.” Padern shook the 4 year old boy’s hand. The child’s eyes lit up.

Cyneswith then pointed to the baby being held by a servant, “And finally Sigeræd.”

Padern noticed that the countess was with child and said, “Milady you should not be greeting me here. You should be resting.”

Cyneswith smiled, “No I am fine. The physician and midwives say the baby will come in either October or November.”

Padern said, “I do not see your husband.” Padern had heard rumors that Cyneswith and her husband were for all intents and purposes living separate lives.

Cyneswith replied, “Thurfrith is in Rhuddlan overseeing some affairs in Perfeddwlad.”

Cyneswith then said, “Food and drink have been laid out for your men. They can follow my servant, Hacon.” Hacon approached and Cyneswith pointed to him. Padern nodded and his men followed Hacon.

Cyneswith then turned to Padern and said, “Let us get out of this sun. Please come with me.”

Padern followed Cyneswith into the keep.

He followed Cyneswith until she reached her study. She opened the door and ushered him in. Once in the room he saw her desk with two high back chairs facing it. Bookcases lined one wall. The other opened onto a balcony that overlooked the keep’s courtyard. Behind her desk hung the banner of County of Bedford, three white shells on a black field.

Cyneswith walked around to the back of the desk. She motioned to Padern to sit in the chair to the left. As Padern walked over to the chair he felt like he was being watched. Padern sat in the chair. He then suddenly realized the chair next to him was occupied. With a mild curse under his breath he turned to look at the person seated in the chair. When he saw the person a cold chill ran down his spine. He looked over at Cyneswith who was now seated in her chair.

Cyneswith said, “Count Padern you know Count Siweard don’t you?”

Padern asked in a fearful voice, “What is doing here?”

Siweard smirked and replied, “I am not here to ask questions about a meeting in Thetford hosted by the Jarl of East Anglia and attended by the Count of Glamorgan and yourself.”

Padern was beginning to panic. He was trapped and he knew it.

Siweard continued, “I am here as a friend with an offer.”

Padern stuttered, “An offer what kind of offer?” Padern’s mind was racing. Was the Spymaster toying with him? What did he know? Was he one step from the king’s dungeons?

Siweard said, “You have a claim on Powys do you not?”

Padern responded cautiously, “You know I do.”

Siweard asked, “Would you like to see your claim pressed?”

Padern replied, “Of course I would but I do not have the levies to do so.”

Siweard asked, “What if help could be provided?”

Padern said, “Help? Other than myself, only the king the could declare a claim war.”

Siweard smiled.

Suddenly Padern thought he knew what was happening. He was not sure how he felt about. The shrewd old spymaster was maneuvering him.

Padern asked, “Why would the king help me?”

Siweard said, “Friendship.”

Padern almost laughed out loud, “Eilif does nothing out of friendship.”

“It is disappointing to hear you do not trust your king,” a voice came out of the shadows.

Padern stood up and spun around. A figure stepped out of the shadows. Padern almost swallowed his tongue. He quickly took a knee.

Padern said sheepishly, “Sire, I did not mean it that way.”

King Eilif stepped out of the shadows, “Yes you did. And you are not all wrong. While I desire your friendship I also desire your support.”

Eilif motioned to Padern that he could rise. Padern did so slowly watching the shadows for some unknown assailant.

Padern replied, “Having the support of the king is a favor I could never fully repay or forget.”

Eilif said, “That is good to hear from such a loyal vassal.”

Padern said, “Thank you milord.”

Eilif smiled, “I will now leave you and Siweard to work out the details.”

Cyneswith walked around the desk to Eilif. He took her hand and lead her out of the room leaving a dumbfounded Padern.

Once in the hallway and the door closed, Eilif said, “What Padern does not realize is supporting his claim takes me one step closer to controlling all of Wales.”

Cyneswith smiled and replied, “And taking another shot at Cynwrig.”

Eilif said, “An added benefit for sure. Controlling Powys will give me enough de jure counties to usurp the Kingdom of Gwynedd from Cynwrig.”

Eilif walked down the hallway with Cyneswith very satisfied with himself. He would have his war with Scotland, the council power faction would be in shambles, and he would bring another county under his kingdom.

• 1Love
Reactions:
Now that was a very nicely laid ambush.

Reactions:
Not only does Eilif gain what he wants from this meeting, he also likely puts the fear into his other counts. They must be careful what they say as who knows when the king himself might be listening?

Reactions:
Now that was a very nicely laid ambush.

Eilif knows how to manipulate his vassals to get what he wants. It does not hurt that he has Count Siweard with a 21 intrigue.

Very nice play in a play. A sneak is out-sneaked.:)

This was a fun one to write. I had to come up with something to remove Count Padern from the faction. Padern does not rejoin a faction for a very, very long time.

Not only does Eilif gain what he wants from this meeting, he also likely puts the fear into his other counts. They must be careful what they say as who knows when the king himself might be listening?

Eilif is very resourceful when it comes to getting his way and it will show in later chapters. Problem is will it lead to overconfidence. Eilif has several intrigue bonuses to go along with Siweard's rating so I think it is very possible that he is listening.

Eilif has done very well for himself. A solid stroke.

So far so good. The question is will it last?

Reactions:
Chapter 6.2.1 October 894 Near Bishopric of Carlisle, County of Cumberland
Chapter 6.2

6ywIWVA.png

27 October 894 Near Bishopric of Carlisle, County of Cumberland

The air was cold and crisp. Winter was quickly approaching. In the king’s tent the small stove barely kept the cold out. The king and his Spymaster were seated near the stove.

Siweard spoke, “Winter is coming quicker than expected.”

Eilif said, “I fear we will have snow in a couple of weeks. It will make pursuing the Scottish all that more difficult.”

Siweard said, “It was a bold move by Count Conan of Carrick to march through English Lothian and into Cumberland with 3000 men.”

Eilif said, “With Jarl Leofweald embroiled in civil war he knew that there would be few troops in Cumberland. He planned to reach Westmoreland. By doing so the Scots were hoping that there would be decent in the kingdom that would lead to unhappy vassals forcing an end to the war. He got the opposite. The levys rallied quickly. His supply lines were attacked both in Cumberland and English Lothian. Once Arthwys appeared with our army Conan had to retreat.”

Siweard said, “I wonder how Count Eadgar of Northampton is handling his new Jarl.”

Eilif responded, “That is not my concern. He served his purpose.”

Siweard said, “I thought he was an ally but after your father died he turned against you. I still do not understand why.”

Eilif said, “Apparently he had this dream that if he helped me against Borkvard I would grant him all his wishes. While I did many favors for him I would not grant him the one he truly wanted. I would not grant more power to the Council. Once he learned that I would not grant him that desire he began conspiring against me. His son Thurcytel has joined with him.”

Siweard responded, “I never fully trusted him. I felt his aid against Borkvard was not for the kingdom but was for himself.”

Eilif said, “I repaid his disloyalty by transferring his vassalage to Jar Waltheof.”

Siweard said, “A good move for you. Along with some gold, transferring Eadgar convinced Jarl Waltheof to support you and the wars against Scotland and Gwynedd.”

Eilif said, “Waltheof liked the idea. At some point he can enact his revenge on Eadgar for Eadgar’s betrayal of Borkvard.”

Siweard said, “That is if Eadgar does not rebel against him first.”

Eilif said, “True, that would be a problem now that Jarl Waltheof is commanding our armies in Gwynedd. He has already defeated Gwydolin ap Edryd at Caersws in County Powys earlier this month.”

jxVsJnj.png

Siweard said, “I must be off. I have to go and join my army that has been gathering in Bamborg. Once everything is ready we will be sailing to Gowrie.”

Eilif said, “I wish you luck.”

Siweard stood and took his leave from King Eilif.

• 1Love
Reactions:
Chapter 6.2.2 February 985 County of Tir Eoghain
7 February 985 County of Tir Eoghain

Eilif could see his breath as walked toward the command tent in the false dawn. He pulled the heavy furs tighter around himself, however they seemed to have any effect on the cold. In the semi darkness he picked his steps carefully. No telling where there was an icy patch among the stones he stepped over. At first Eilif enjoyed the silence of the night, but now the sounds of the awakening army now filled the air

Eilif arrived at the command tent. Even at this early hour he found it bristling with activity. The center of activity was Mayor Arthwys of Carmathen, the commander of the army. Arthwys barked out orders at a dizzying pace. Runners came to him and left messages. He would read them and then send the runner off on another mission. Arthwys had an army to get moving. They were in pursuit of the Scottish army commanded by Count Conan of Carrick. The pursuit had been ongoing since October. It had begun in Cumberland and then into Tevoitdale, part of English Lothian. There in December near Jedburgh Arthwys handily defeated Conan. The pursuit had then continued into Galloway and across the North Channel to Ulaidh. The chase continued through Tír Eoghain. Now they were about to enter Scottish Tyrconnell.

FFDlhlU.png

Eilif began to walk toward Arthwys but a servant appeared and offered the king a cup of steaming broth. Eilif gratefully took the cup. He held the hot cup in hands enjoying the warmth. He blew lightly on the liquid and took a small sip testing how hot the broth was. He then took a couple of more steps. Arthwys joined the king with his own cup of broth. Neither said anything as they both tried to drain the heat from the broth.

GFZvL1l.png

Arthwys said, “I hope you enjoy the broth this morning. The cook should have something to eat ready shortly.”

Eilif replied, “The broth is truly appreciated.”

Arthwys said, “I fear we have another long day ahead of us.”

Eilif asked, “will we catch Conan today?”

Arthwys rubbed the back of his neck and replied, “truthfully, sire, I doubt it. Conan’s army is half the size of ours and as such can move quicker on these primitive, ice laden, deer trails the Irish call roads. If our cavalry could only get around Conan’s army and put up roadblocks then we could slow him down.”

Eilif said, “In a day or two we cross into Tyrconnell. Earl Stephan is a Scottish vassal perhaps the roads will be better.”

Arthwys responded, “Anything is possible but I doubt. The Scots are not much more advanced than the Irish. Since we will be in Scottish territory we will have to be more careful. There could be Scottsmen behind every tree. We will have to watch our supply lines otherwise we could find ourselves starving.”

Eilif knew a winter campaign relied on the supplies it received from Jorvik. “Once we reach Tyrconnell you may begin foraging again.”

Arthwys responded, “Many of the soldiers will be happy about that order. My only concern is how much Conan will leave for us. His army cut a swath through Ulaidh and Tír Eoghain foraging as they went along. Even if you allowed the army to forage I doubt there would have been much for us.”

Eilif replied, “I know many did not approve of my no forage order. We do not need enemies behind us if we can prevent it. Chief Garalt of Ulaidh and Earl Gilla-Ruad of Tír Eoghain were wary and suspicious of us. They wonder when I will try to make tributes out of them as my father did.

Arthwys said, “I understand.”

Just then servants began arriving carrying plates of food.

Arthwys said, “The morning meal is here. Please enjoy yourself.”

Eilif nodded and gave Arthwys his leave. The commander walked over to the waiting messengers and began firing off orders again.

Eilif walked over to the meal table and sat down. A servant placed a plate of food before the king. Eilif suddenly realized how hungry he actually was and began eating.

While he was eating Eilif noticed Bishop Hrolfr of Burton entering the tent. Hrolfr saw the king and Eilif motioned for the bishop to join him. Hrolfr walked over and sat down. A servant placed a plate of food before him.

Hrolfr said, “Thank you milord for inviting me to dine with you.”

lznRCPH.png

Eilif replied, “No need to be so formal here.

Hrolfr began eating with gusto. Eilif then remembered the bishop had been leading a scouting patrol for the last couple of weeks.

Hrolfr said, “It is good to have some hot food again.”

Eilif asked,”How did your scouting go?”

Hrolfr replied, “Very well. Oriel is mostly empty of troops. Their levies are fighting with Conan. Most of the cities have garrisons and the gates were closed. Moving around the county can be challenging as there are few good roads. Bréifne is more less the same except we were welcomed in the towns as long as we paid. I did see any signs that King Rogallach of Connachta had any intentions of joining with the Scots.”

Eilif said, “That is good to hear.”

Hrolfr then said, “Where are my manners? I want to congratulate you. I heard that Queen Elisabeth is with child.”

1LlQm8U.png

Eilif was all smiles, “Thank you.”

Hrolfr said, “I also found out that Jarl Waltheof defeated the Gwyneddian army near Ilchester.”

6u72S3D.png

The two continued talking through two more plates of breakfast. Eventually Hrolfr was called over to Arthwys to make his report. Eilif decided to return to his tent and ready himself for the day’s march.

Eilif entered his tent. He was surprised to find Bishop Snorri of Snorri waiting. The Court Chaplin was sitting near the stove trying to keep warm. Beside looking miserable from the cold Snorri appeared dark and gloomy.

Eilif said to him, “From the way you look you can not be bearing good news.”

Snorri replied, “I am not.” The bishop paused. Then continued after a deep sigh, “Your son Prince Sigurðr died 12 days ago.”

Eilif recoiled like he was punched. He mumbled, “the curse on my family strikes again,” as he sat heavily into his chair.

Snorri asked, “Did you say something, sire?”

Eilif in a choked up voice asked, “What happened? Was it the Slow Fever?”

Snorri replied, “It was not the Slow Fever. The Slow fever has not moved beyond County Lancaster.”

Eilif asked, “Then what was it?”

Snorri replied, “Sigurðr came down with a cough and fever several weeks before he died. We thought he had recovered but the cough returned and he developed pneumonia. It was that which killed him.”

ApEiJTb.png

Eilif held his head in hands. Tears ran down his cheeks.

He looked up at Snorri and ordered, “If the Slow fever spreads to Jorvik move Queen Elisabeth to place where it is not. Do you understand?”

Snorri replied, “yes, milord.”

Eilif said, “Now leave me to my grief.”

Snorri nodded and left the tent.

Last edited:
  • 1Love
Reactions:
You weren't kidding when you said all of Eilif's children, bastards included, would be important. Even with all his master planning, Eilif still cannot escape the tragedy that haunts his family.

Reactions:
So some bad news for the King, whilst he is chasing the benighted Scots over the frozen wastes.

Reactions:
You weren't kidding when you said all of Eilif's children, bastards included, would be important. Even with all his master planning, Eilif still cannot escape the tragedy that haunts his family.

As I stated before this game is brutal on the King of Jorvik's children. That is why I am calling a curse.

So some bad news for the King, whilst he is chasing the benighted Scots over the frozen wastes.

Just when everything was going his way reality had to strike. Now Eilif has to deal with an enemy that is proving to be a tougher nut to crack than he thought and the lose of a child.

Reactions:
Chapter 6.2.3 June 985 Radnor, County of Powys
14 June 985 Radnor, County of Powys

“Returning to Jorvik after Sigurðr’s death was such a mistake, Eilif said to Snorri as they rode through the village streets.

“I had thought Elisabeth and I had truly reconciled our marriage. I had not had any affairs or even thought about having any for months. She is even with child now. I returned hoping to console her and try to come to understand why Sigurðr had to die when he did. “

Snorri replied, “Your intentions were true.”

Eilif said, “All I found was a wife who was cold and distance. She barely spoke to me and avoided me at every opportunity. She became more and more withdrawn. Our few times together were just a series of awkward silences. I could not tolerate the situation any longer and decided to return to the army.”

Snorri said, “I understand, Perhaps after the baby is born she will feel different.”

Eilif was silent. He knew that Elisabeth’s coldness had driven him into the bed of another. On his way to Ireland he spent several days in Rhuddlan and rekindled his affair with Cyneswith. Cyneswith had traveled with him through much of the campaign. She had only left the camp at Radnor a few days before Snorri arrived.

Eilif said, “By the time I rejoined the army, Jarl Waltheof had the war here in Gwynedd well in hand. He had taken Mathrafal and Llangollen feel shortly thereafter.”

Snorri said, “But you did help Arthwys in Leinster. Did you not?”

Eilif replied with a smile, “I am not sure if you can call it help. All my small force of guards and some infantry did was act as a blocking force against the Scots.”

Snorri replied, “But that allowed Arthwys to trap and destroy the Scottish army at Ferns. Now there are no Scottish forces of any substantial size left in Ireland.”

YitbKgx.png

“You were able to then cross over from Ireland and aid Waltheof in taking Radnor.”

Eilif said, “Waltheof did not need our aid. Radnor was doomed. We just made it happened sooner. That is all.”

Just then they reached the square where the church was located. Eilif brought his party to a halt. Eilif scanned the square. He could see that King Cynwrig of Gwynedd had arrived earlier. His guards and some knights milled around the churchyard and the square. Eilif waited. He would not enter the church until all those invited were gathered.

Count Padern of Glamorgan and his party rode into the square and the church. The count and several members of his party entered the church.

Eilif then signaled his party and they rode toward the church. Upon seeing the king and his party arrive the men of Glamorgan, East Anglia, Dyfed, and even those of Gwynedd came to attention. Eilif took special care to acknowledge the men from Gwynedd. He suspected that many of them did not care for their king Cynwrig the Fowler. He wanted them to feel that the KIng of Jorvik respected them.

As Eilif ascended the steps to the church the guards at the door came to attention. Eilif entered the vestibule and was met by his Chancellor Hjalmar Haraldrsson and Steward Count Ingólfr of Leicester.

Eilif asked, “Is all ready?”

Ingólfr answered, “Yes, Sire.”

Eilif asked, “Any problems with the priests?”

Snorri answered, “At first but they were quickly convinced that such proceedings held more weight when performed in the presence of God.”

Hjalmar added, “A little donation didn’t hurt either.”

Eilif was escorted into the nave.

The crier banged his metal staff on the floor announcing Eilif’s arrival, “Eilif Sigfrið Hvitserk, Baron of Richmond, Count of Dyfed, Worcester, Warwick, Djuraby, Chester, Lancaster, and Jorvik, Jarl of Deheubarth, Lancaster, Mann, and Jorivk. King of Jorvik.”

Eilif walked through the nave to the dias erected before the alter. As he passed the guests took a knee except for King Cynwrig and his party. The only thing Eilif received from Cynwrig was a hateful stare. He climbed the steps and took a sat in the throne. The crier banged his staff and the crowd stood.

Eilif was joined by Mayor Arthwys and Jarl Waltheof who took their places to his right. The Councilors took their places to the left of the king. Count Padern approached the dais and stopped at the bottom. He bowed. Eilif acknowledged him.

Ingólfr then called out, “King Cynwrig of Gwynedd.”

Cynwrig walked toward the dais. He too stopped at the bottom of the dais. Unlike Padern he did not bow. Instead he glared at Eilif with hateful eyes. He refused to look at Padern.

Eilif then spoke, “King Cynwrig do you surrender and agree to the terms as presented?”

Cynwrig replied surely, “Yes.”

Eilif continued, “You agree to relinquish the title of Count of Powys and all vassals that make up the county to Count Padern.”

Cynwrig answered in a voice full of malice, “I do.”

Eilif replied, “Good. Have the documents signed.”

Cynwrig was then lead to a table where the formal documents of surrender and the terms of surrender were placed. Cynwrig quickly signed the documents and placed his seal on them.

Eilif spoke, “Count Padern you may sign the documents.”

Padern walked over to the table and signed and sealed the documents.

A scribe gathered the documents and brought them to Eilif. A couple of servants brought a writing table, with quill and ink also to Eilif and placed them in front of him. Eilif stood and stepped toward the table as the documents were being placed. Eilif took the quill and signed the document. A scribe placed wax on the documents and Eilif sealed them. The documents and table were then removed as Eilif took his seat.

The scribes organized the documents. They handed one set to Cynwrig who immediately handed them to his Chancellor. Without saying a word he turned and left the nave followed by his Chancellor and guards.

zgPn6RA.png

Another set of documents were given to Padern. Padern then said, “Milord, King Eilif, I am eternally grateful to you for your support and assistance in enforcing my claim to the County of Powys.” Eilif nodded. Padern bowed and returned to his place in the audience. Eilif then rose and left the nave followed by his commanders and councilors.

IgNOIga.png

LkTBJLT.png

Once in the vestibule Eilif said to his commanders, “Go and make ready to march north. We still have the Scottish to deal with. Their army is in Dunholm and must be driven out. We can then aid Count Siweard with the siege of Scone.”

Waltheof and Arthwys saluted the king and left.

Eilif spoke to his councilors, “We now control two thirds of the Petty Kingdom of Gwynedd’s De Jure lands. When the time is right we will usurp the title of King of Gwyendd.

Eilif then asked, “What is the situation the Slow Fever?”

Ingólfr responded, “It is still strong in Lancaster and over the last few months it has spread to Westmoreland, Cumberland, and Dunholm. We also have had reports that consumption has been spreading through the County of Kent.”

Eilif said, “If the Slow fever or consumption spread to Jorvik then the Queen is to be moved a safe place. She and the child she carries must be safe.”

Ingólfr replied, “It will done.”

Eilif said, “Good. I now go to join Arthwys and the army. It is time we destroy any Scots in Jorvikian lands.

• 1Love
Reactions:
The next will take a little longer to post. I completely rewrote it over the last few days. My first drafts just did not feel right; like things were missing. I skipped over Chapter 3 and worked on Chapter 4 and some of Chapter 5. It was then I realized why I did not like Chapter 3. There was little to no connections to the future chapters. So a few nights ago I started Chapter 3 over again. I need to do another proofread or two and make a few revisions before it is ready for prime time. It will probably be late this week.

Reactions:
So step by step Gwynedd is being won, but matters at home are not so easily resolved

Reactions:
Oh Eilif... it doesn't show real remorse if you decide not to have an affair for a little while, find your wife still upset, and then you run back to another woman. I tend to think he's just looking for an excuse anyway, I think's obvious the woman he really wants to be with is Cyneswith. And the queen will no doubt hear of her husband's favorite lover following him around everywhere he goes on campaign - it's sure to make things worse.

But the king's war proceeds well. If the curse does not doom them, the family should have much of Britain to rule over when all is said and done.

Reactions:
So step by step Gwynedd is being won, but matters at home are not so easily resolved

It won't be long now for Gwynedd except Eilif has to wait 10 years for the peace treaty to expire. However, he can take other measures.

This is a harsh war.

Gwynedd was the easy part. Scotland, on the other hand, is becoming costly and tiresome.

Oh Eilif... it doesn't show real remorse if you decide not to have an affair for a little while, find your wife still upset, and then you run back to another woman. I tend to think he's just looking for an excuse anyway, I think's obvious the woman he really wants to be with is Cyneswith. And the queen will no doubt hear of her husband's favorite lover following him around everywhere he goes on campaign - it's sure to make things worse.

But the king's war proceeds well. If the curse does not doom them, the family should have much of Britain to rule over when all is said and done.

Eilif lives by his own set of rules when it comes to his loves and wife. He feels as a man it is normal to have affairs and his wife should accept it without questions. This will cost him sooner or later.

The war goes well because he picked a weak opponent in Gwynedd. Scotland while it appears weak is proving to be more difficult. In the game conquering their holdings does not gain large war scores. Once the Scottish army was defeated the war becomes siege after siege.

The next chapter continues the war with Scotland. It ends with dark happenings. I hope to post it later. Watching Vikings, Season 5 Episode 1 right now.

Reactions:
Chapter 6.3.1 August 985 Hartlepool, County of Dunholm
Chapter 6.3

7bDKMfR.png

18 August 985 Hartlepool, County of Dunholm

Eilif watched as his troops broke through the Scottish ranks. At first a few Scots started to flee the battlefield and then it became a rout. Eilif still could not believe that the Scottish commander fell for Mayor Arthwys’ feint. The Scottish commander attacked thinking he was only facing a cavalry force. The cavalry drew the Scottish out of their defensive positions and into the open. Then the Jorvikian infantry slammed into them. Now Eilif’s force delivered the final blow. All that was left was chasing the Scots out of Dunholm and Northumberland.

A noise behind him case Eilif to turn. He saw Arthwys riding toward him with several subordinates. Arthwys had a very satisfied look on his face.

Once he reached Eilif, the king said, “Well done Mayor Arthwys.”

Arthwys replied, “I can only take some the credit. The plan depend on the overeagerness of the Scottish commander.”

yNNCvsq.png

Both men smiled.

Arthwys said, “They won’t stop running until they reach Scotland. I truly hope that by that time the Scottish army will no longer be a force to worry about.”

Eilif said, “ I suspect as they flee through English Lothian the locals will exact some revenge upon the Scottish in payment for what the Scottish did them on their march south.”

Arthwys nodded and said, “We must now look to our army and prepare for the march north.”

Several hours later a spontaneous celebration of sorts had broken out in the camp.

Arthwys said, “Milord, I feel that this celebration is not good.”

Eilif looked around at the troops. They were singing and drinking. A few danced. Their faces were full of smiles.

Eilif said, “On the contrary I feel it is necessary.”

Arthwys began to protest but Eilif raised his hand to silence him.

Eilif continued, “Many of these troops fought in Gwynedd and Ireland for us. They won victories and a war. Before they had time to rest and savor their deeds we force marched them across Jorvik. Then we sent them into battle again. I think they deserve some time to drink, dance, and enjoy themselves. In or a week after we replenish our supplies and receive some reinforcements we will be marching them north. I want their morale high.”

Arthwys said, “You are wise, milord.”

Eilif said, “Not I, my grandfather King Knut. He always made sure the morale of his armies was at it highest at all times. He used celebrations, promotions, land, and gold to accomplish that. I can only hope that I have learned my lessons well from him and my father.”

Arthwys smiled as did Eilif.

Eilif and Arthwys made their way to the command tent. Once there they sat the mess table and ate. They also partaken in some of the wine that was flowing free throughout the camp.

Eilif said, “With the destruction of this army and the death of KIng Alpin III back in June I hope the fight has gone out of the Scottish.”

HFk0laW.png

Arthwys said, “I find it hard to believe that in the middle of a war they elected a 9 year old boy king.”

Eilif said, “The lords of Scotland did so to save face. They know that they are going to lose this war. They elected King Ewan III so that they can place blame on him and his regent who also happens to be his mother, Guenguerthlon. That way they think they can control him.”

A2wA6ks.png
TdA9QDA.png

Arthwys said, “I see.”

Eilif asked Arthwys, “Speaking of the Scottish king what have we heard from the siege of his capital, Scone?”

Arthwys answered, “It goes slow, very slow. There was another raid from the city. Some men were lost. Unfortunately a large number of the sieging equipment was destroyed or damaged.”

Eilif said, “These reports from Scone are becoming tiresome. This what the three or fourth raid that has delayed the siege?”

Arthwys replied, “It is actually the fifth raid if you count the one by bandits.”

Eilif said, “I beginning to wonder if Count Siweard is capable of conducting the siege. It may be time for a change.”

Arthwys asked, “Do you have someone in mind?”

Eilif said, “I am considering Bishop Hrolfr.”

Arthwys asked, “What of Jarl Anlaufr of Powys, your Marshal?”

Eilif replied, “He is currently working on a project in Jorvik. Once it is complete he will be available for a command. But not until then.”

Arthwys nodded.

As Eilif was preparing for bed a messenger arrived from Jorvik. Eilif took the message and read it. He smiled as he did so. The message read. “You have a son born on August 15. As previously instructed he has been named Sigfrið.”

tSLIFwA.png

• 1Love
Reactions: