• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

opsircrocodile

First Lieutenant
16 Badges
Sep 4, 2019
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Hearts of Iron IV: By Blood Alone
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
1699649269417.png

are we in for a major rework of one of these countries soon?

• 2Like
Reactions:
View attachment 1045801

are we in for a major rework of one of these countries soon?
According to this post over here...

...we may be in for a new war effort initiative in future. Maybe the poll is trying to get a pic where players see the biggest need for changes in focus trees for that purpose?

I don't mind others but Turkey Battle of Bhosphorus need stop creating ww3, see and that.

i hope they understand that turkey inst a matter of players wanting fancy stuff, but stop ruining historical run.

It's not even clear to me why Turkey is railroaded to do that, either. Am I missing some wars Turkey fought with her neighbors in the second half of the 20th Century besides Korea and the mess in Cyprus?

I don’t see that much to debate here, honestly.
- Germany is somewhat meh, lacking late game focuses and being a bit bland, *but* it at least performs what it needs to do in historical games and has several alright alt-history paths to go in non-historical. Not great, but functional.
- Japan is utter garbage all the way. Historical tree is boring and at least with AI, doesn’t bring historical results as well as it should, while alt-history options are about as fun as watching paint dry. Considering how important Japan was for the war as whole, it’s impossible to see it as anything but the most grossly neglected major in the entire game.
- Turkey is a slow, bloated mess of focus tree that is simply unfun to play through and by the time you get your internal stuff fixed, the war is already de facto over. Still, I don’t believe that it would require a full rework, just some streamlining through removal of some of the most pointless focuses and 70d -> 35d completion time changes. And hey, it’s not like Turkey is as important as something like Japan in the context of HoI 4.

Last edited:
  • 4Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
It's not even clear to me why Turkey is railroaded to do that, either. Am I missing some wars Turkey fought with her neighbors in the second half of the 20th Century besides Korea and the mess in Cyprus?

Yeah its strange, take in account that Turkey already have a HUGE dlc focus tree with lots of options and paths to choose, i can bet that only Italy have more alt history options than Turkey.

Perhaps they have a good amount of turkish fan base that we understimated, so its just bussness.

Also while military is the most powerful on middle east, economically theyre not a "major country", is a "developing country" in various requisites.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Japan is clearly most outdated major currently and has a lot of potential. Such fun nation, different location with different playstyle and Allies deserve good opponent.

Turkey is example of overwhelming experience to most players. While it is not bad, it much for not much of all. Rather messy thing and even on historical Turkey seem to be railed to do same thing eventually causing same mess no matter what other nations do. As people have mentioned: Instead making it target of rework, get it updated and fixed. Would be sad day to see Turkey getting effort over Japan.

Germany? Good question. Same time it is working but I would not object it getting reworked. Again, currently I would take Japan rework over any other nation.

Reactions:
Out of the three, I think Japan is in the need of most fixxing. Which is great, because it can be paired with Pacific War rework with focus reworks for China (RoC and PRC), and India, and new trees for Philippines, Thailand, and Indonesia/Dutch East Indies. Germany's tree okay, but it wouldn't hurt to have more late game stuff and a bit more internal politics branch for Hitler (balance of power for SS and Wermacht).

Reactions:
Trick question.

Obviously, it's a German-Japan rework where each country has a secret "Man in the High Castle" branch in its focus tree. Paradox has partnered with Amazon Prime, and each Prime user gets the focus trees for free. The DLC also ships free the next day.

• 9Haha
  • 1Like
Reactions:
I know people keep screeching “Germany” ever since Italy was released, but many people are saying that because they play Germany. This suggests it’s probably good enough for the time being. Plus, I’ve heard Arheo say several times that “Germany is in a good place right now.”

Japan, on the other hand, seems quite underplayed and underenjoyed for being the major narrative driver in its hemisphere. I’ve even seen a dev reference Japan as an example of what is no longer acceptable in terms of design. As others have pointed out, an SEA DLC has been discussed as a likely next step, and Japan would fit well there. In fact, China, India, Australia, and New Zealand could all get some minor attention in that context.

• 7Like
Reactions:
Japan is interesting because of complexity of Pacific Teather. If the devs could bring it in, will be welcome.
The marine branch rework of Special Forces fitted more with a Japan rework.

I wasn't some sort of naval/air warfare enthusiast, until i dived into some battle of midway videos, by gods, the pacific teather is pure strategic gold.

Reactions:
My vote goes to Japan hands down.

I've long accreted that I play Japan because the AI can't.
There is a lot more to it than that. Japan's potential is grossly overlooked.

Of all the player mods that claim to fix Japan, I've concluded that fixing Japan will require a major overhaul or easily break the balance you all hold so dear.
This is mostly due to all of these mods starting Japan with the world's most powerful division templates.

One must do non-historical things to stand a chance in historical vanilla. Balance should not be this way. Losing the war IRL should not determine auto failure in simulation. Part of what makes the focus tree 'boring' is having to have a clear route for the first 8 foci in order to attack China 2 weeks late from the historical date, then another year of mapped out foci for the early Zero. The first 13-14 foci are near essential for any type of Fascist campaign.
Mutually exclusive Foci that Japan obviously used both in RL makes my blood boil.
Why are the Fascist and Neutral factions backwards?

How come we have to wait for a Major DCL to fix some of the smallest easy problems that likely get overlooked anyway.
Why is balance so important that it should twist reality? The real power of any nation in HoI4 is historical knowledge.

Pardon the feeble rant. ;)

Reactions:
The German focus tree is solid, works and is probably the hardest to get right, because all major events require Germany as catalyst. I'd say they need a rework the least from a technical standpoint.

Japan, though? It really needs it, desperately, like yesterday.

That being said, from a standpoint of popularity the clear choice is Germany, the one that needs it the least. Funny how things sometimes work.

Reactions: