Confirmed HoI 4 - Game crashes on select country button for overhaul mods. MacOS

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

jalenluorion

Recruit
1 Badges
Mar 2, 2023
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
Description of issue
Game crashes on select country button for overhaul mods. MacOS

What platform do you play on?
Steam

Game Version
Avalanche V1.12.10.91f2

Enabled DLC
None

Do you have mods enabled?
Yes

Description
Game crashes whenever trying to open/render the map. Tested on different overhaul mods like Old World Blues, Equestria At War, etc. Works fine on Vanilla Hoi4 or mods that don't overhaul the map. Works on Windows, but not MacOS.

Steps to Reproduce
Start a Hoi4 game with any overhaul mod enabled on Mac. Click Select Country. Instead of the map loading, the game crashes.

Upload Attachment
File(s) attached

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-03-01 at 7.09.57 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-03-01 at 7.09.57 PM.png
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • 14Like
Reactions:
This will be fixed in 1.13.0 (Stella Polaris / Arms Against Tyranny release patch)
Hi Mat,

Mac users are still having issues with dealing with crashes with mods like Equestria at War or Old War Blues. The only difference right now appears to be that the crash comes after players load into their selected country and un-pause their game.

Hi Mat,

Mac users are still having issues with dealing with crashes with mods like Equestria at War or Old War Blues. The only difference right now appears to be that the crash comes after players load into their selected country and un-pause their game.
Hello there. We'll have another look. Locally we were able to boot up and a start a game last we tested. We'll check if there's something different that may have changed.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Hello there. We'll have another look. Locally we were able to boot up and a start a game last we tested. We'll check if there's something different that may have changed.

Not sure if this will help but, looking at the logs where I notice a crash (and after replicating the crash multiple times), I see a "Caught signal 10 (SIGBUS)" in the exception log, and what appears to be a failure to compile a shader within the HOI4 Error logfile - for reference, most people I've encountered mentioning that they're still having issues with total overhauls are on M1 Macs. Suspecting that there's probably a similar graphical issue that led to issues displaying states in the map selection mode:

Screenshot 2023-10-16 at 1.45.43 PM.png

Not sure if this will help but, looking at the logs where I notice a crash (and after replicating the crash multiple times), I see a "Caught signal 10 (SIGBUS)" in the exception log, and what appears to be a failure to compile a shader within the HOI4 Error logfile - for reference, most people I've encountered mentioning that they're still having issues with total overhauls are on M1 Macs. Suspecting that there's probably a similar graphical issue that led to issues displaying states in the map selection mode:

View attachment 1031708
Just wanted to also note that it also affects those on intel rather than just M1 chips. I’m using an Intel chip on my MacBook and seem to have the exact same issue.

Reactions:
Hi, just noting that when playing Equestria at War, the game only consistently crashes after over a year of in-game time (with Old World Blues there is a consistent crash at 14:00 on first in-game day) - both exception logs show a "Caught signal 10" error, but there doesn't seem to be a shader failure in the error logfile? Attached logfiles from both mod crashes for reference.

Attachments

• hoi4_EaWMac.7z
    48,4 KB · Views: 0
  • hoi4_OWBMac.7z
    11,5 KB · Views: 0
Hi. Small update that might help. The new patch mentioned that this bug was yet again fixed. However, I can confirm it has not been fixed. Rather than the game crashing at 14:00 on the first day. It crashes in around March of the first year. I have seen that the day hasn't been too specific. Players have reported in crashing all the way from March 2nd to March 18th and one person saying it crashed in the middle of the year without giving a date. I personally crashed on March 14th. Not too sure what's causing the issue if this was fixed. But it likely is just the bug not being completely fixed yet rather than a totally new issue. I play on an Intel Macbook and others on M1s and M2s are also reporting this.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Hi. Small update that might help. The new patch mentioned that this bug was yet again fixed. However, I can confirm it has not been fixed. Rather than the game crashing at 14:00 on the first day. It crashes in around March of the first year. I have seen that the day hasn't been too specific. Players have reported in crashing all the way from March 2nd to March 18th and one person saying it crashed in the middle of the year without giving a date. I personally crashed on March 14th. Not too sure what's causing the issue if this was fixed. But it likely is just the bug not being completely fixed yet rather than a totally new issue. I play on an Intel Macbook and others on M1s and M2s are also reporting this.
We are still looking into it. We fixed some issues with mods, but more are being found as the previous ones are fixed. Hopefully the upcoming war effort patch will address the rest of them.

• 2Like
Reactions:
A few of those mods have ran into a technical limit due to map size and such that only exists on Mac. We are hoping to be able to fix it in the upcoming monthly patch.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Can confirm bug still exists on current patch on M1 Mac. Some large-map mods, like A Very British Civil war, crash during loading, some crash during March like other users have stated, and curiously, Magna Europa lasts until October before freezing (but not crashing). More details on the Magna Europa problem: during freezing, you can pause and unpause (though this does nothing), zoom in and out, and save, but other interactions are impossible, and time doesn't progress. Even the Quit Game button doesn't work, you have to close it through Steam. Relaunching the game sometimes allows me to play a few minutes before the freezing reoccurs.

Hi,
We’re aware that the issue still persist for some of the mods on macOS. Unfortunately, new previously hidden issues presents themselves after every bug we fix for the larger mods on macOS. On a the positive side, every issue we fix should improve stability for larger mods on macOS

We are working on the most recent issue that we have discovered. However, I cannot give you an estimate for when that fix will be released.

• 1Like
Reactions: