• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Time for a Bonus ! Today's bonus is going to be a glimpse at the mysterious SECOND IMPACT everyone's been talking about ! Just thought I'd commemorate it with a placard :D

SecondImpact.png

Oh and Just a little update that I thought I should let you guys know .

I've been getting lots of complaints about my grammar lately so I'll be looking to hire a copy editor from my school to help me go through them . Thanks again for all the positive feedback !

rcduggan said:
Argggg what is second impact???? I wanan know!

Second Impact is .....

is ...

a secret !

XD

Alright folks in a few moments i'm going to upload this week's You've Been Canonized! Interview with RGB . I know what you guys are thinking , I promised to get back on the 3 updates per week BUT BUT !! I have a good excuse this time and one that you guys will enjoy also !! I've been writing for Collage of CAARdinals and it even has a crossover with our good Zio and our good Cardinal (side story/non-canonical stuff) and the chapters are pretty long so they should count for something ! Go check it out . I will be updating on Sunday :D .

poor Isabella :(

Like the second impact image, but an orc? :eek:

Grubnessul said:
poor Isabella :(

Like the second impact image, but an orc? :eek:

Haha , shhh no one's supposed to know that's an orc ! To most people it'll just look like a very buff barbarian !

canonized said:
Haha , shhh no one's supposed to know that's an orc ! To most people it'll just look like a very buff barbarian !

Well, now that the orkiness of the brute has been established it will probably take some very sweet strategy to overcome the rather professional opposition...

canonizedrgb.png

You’ve Been Canonized!: RGB​

Welcome ladies and gentlemen to another installment of You’ve Been Canonized! our weekly interview segment here on Timelines where we take patrons of our work and ask them questions about themselves , our AAR , and their current AAR . If you’re new to the programme , I’m canonized author of Timelines: What if Spain Failed to Control the World? With me today is our good friend RGB author of A Year’s Education – Russia Megacampaign pt. I. Let’s get into the interview !

Part I: A Polychromatic Friend
We’ll get to know a little bit about RGB first and his thoughts on writing and the community !

canonized: First off , thank you for having this interview with me ! My first curiousity about you , Mr. RGB is exactly what your name stands for ?

RGB: I generally like to keep people guessing and Llywelyn has several excellent interpretations. I've been known to say Raging Grizzly Bear, you know. But really it's the old Red Green Blue. I've been using it for a long time now on several forums.

canonized: haha well I knew it seemed familiar just couldn't put my finger on it . How long have you been on the forum and specifically how long have you been writing for the community ?

RGB: I've been lurking for maybe 2.5 years, registered for about oh, 6-7 months and writing since January. Been a member since July 07, first AAR post on 26 Feb

canonized: Despite having started with writing relatively recently , you've already began an impressive set of work , what got you to start writing and what have been your inspirations ?

RGB: I've always wanted to do a megacampaign. Although personal-interest stories and narrative genres are excellent fare, I play Paradox game for the grand historical aspect. Nothing is grander or more historical than a megacampaign. I think Thrashing Mad was the one who finally convinced me to do it, like Wallace did to Darwin, sort of. The AARs that inspired me... I remember an excellent Russia AAR in Verse modeled after Pushkin's Boris Godunov....I was a EUII reader for a long time and FArquharson's Scotland thing for comedy.

canonized: From perusing your writing one of the aspects that you've taken up is a very interesting pseudo-historical viewpoint . Could you illuminate for us your view of history ?

RGB: History does not really deal in facts, but in narrative. Narrative serves as entertainment and also has a social function - sometimes to reinforce something, sometimes to controvert. I will try to do that throughout my own AARs - entertain at some times, present conflicting viewpoints at others. While I'm sure most writAARs and readAARs realise that bias is unavoidable full well, I never saw an AAR that obnoxiously and determinedly rubbed the point in. Since for us today history is narrative about the past, my AAR is a fictional narrative about a fictional past looked at from a fictional future.

canonized: an interesting viewpoint indeed ! What lead you to this kind of pragmatism of history ?

RGB: Besides my real degree (in Botany and Evolution) I have a minor in Classical Studies. I'd say writing and reading history papers, textbooks and period literature did it to me. My teachers varied in their views on it; some were very deconstruction-minded, others very classically historiographic, and one deliberately self-contradictory. It was a fun minor to do and a big inspiration for the AAR.

canonized: I think that not only your education has had a big impact on your writing but also your travels in your life have given you a unique perspective on things , could you tell us where you've been and one place that has particularly influenced you ?

RGB: I'm from Russia originally, we moved when I was still quite young. I lived in Malta for a longish time, and then moved to Vancouver in Canada a few (more than a few now) years ago. I'd love to say that Malta was the place the influenced me most, but that wouldn't be strictly true. While I learned there how to live and acclimatise to a different culture, and I loved living there, I didn't have a big mindset change until arriving to Canada, where I think a lot of my youthful illusions melted away and the skills that I acquired in seeing things from a slightly outside angle really came useful. Vancouver was much bigger and more diverse than anything I was used to, it really forced me to re-think this and that. But I love Vancouver also. That and I may have just been older. People change with age.

canonized: And aside from your writing , what does your perception tell you about the paradox AAR community ?

RGB: I'd love to offer real insights and an entertaining rant, but in truth it's fairly diverse, I can't really say all that much. Most people are closet nerds even if they don't admit it, but some are just playing the game. At the same time it's not without its own prevailing patterns. Since English is the language, French surrender jokes are common. There does seem to be an inordinate amount of Finns and Poles. Paradox should have Finnish and Polish versions of all their games.

canonized: Any advice for the community ?

RGB: I've only been here a short while but I have a hefty post count; the vast majority are comments to other people's AARs. I read a lot, and I do mean a lot. I think it is important to read, but it's equally important to leave comments and support fellow writers unless you honestly don't find the AAR interesting. I think helping new writers along encourages good relations and gains you some constant readers as well; I’ve had the pleasure to follow Thrashing Mad's Polish campaign since day one, and I think he's replied back to every update I made. So really, please comment, especially if you're a writAAR yourself.

Part II: Patron
RGB and I will talk a little about Timelines !

RGB: Wee! why do you pilot EVA?

canonized: Because there is no one else !

RGB: damn right.

canonized: Haha , well the first think of note is that you're one of the newer individuals to have been reading Timelines and that you actually caught up in a short amount of time . Could you describe a little bit about how this experience of catching up was for you ?

RGB: Massive. Amounts. of. Text. I won't say it was easy and that I never stopped. I don't actually like reading off the screen, and I did get up to stretch and get snacks. But - I'm a fast reader, I found the story interesting. So I finished it in a few hours. It was easy to go from point A to point B...and the imagery was strong. I was readily associating separate chapters with certain familiar patterns...you know...the Evil Nobunaga Chapter. The Raiders of the Lost Ark chapter. It makes things easier when reading a lot of new material, if you can, at least partly, situate yourself in the narrative pattern immediately. At the same time I got more than a fair share of surprises reading the text, so it never became remotely predictable.

canonized: You also mentioned the other day that at times you both loved and hated the story , could you elaborate on what you mean by that ?

RGB: Well, Catholicism - aesthetics aside - is not necessarily something I subscribe to, but of course it's integral to the AAR. I love the way the position is presented, it's very smart, at the same time I really do wish at times somebody DID ruin Spain's World Conquest. But only sometimes - after all, the opposition is just plain sinister. There are real philosophical implications behind what happens in the story. For example I think the main character, Tom, voices them fairly well himself, and it's right in the title. WHAT if Spain failed to control the world? Spain stands for a controlling, conquering force that is at the same time well, quite oppressive. It's victory is presented as benign especially comparing to the opposition appearing in later chapters, which I find hard to believe, but at the same time the story does offer good arguments. I mean, Spain is stability, right? And stability can be worth it no matter the price. Especially if the world may be at stake (is it? Don't answer, we'll find that later) I don't know if it's bad tone to argue with fellow WritAARs on ideological grounds but I think you're hardly afraid of those arguments

canonized: Well I think that one very important part about your perspective on things is that especially with previous people who I've interviewed about the story that have Christian or Catholic backgrounds , it's sometimes easy to forget that many non-Christians and non-Catholics enjoy the story as well . What do you think appeals to you despite these ideological dissimilarities ?

RGB: I like the modern-day protagonists; they're human and they're less than totally sure. I like the adventure themes in the 1500s as well, just ripping good yarns over and over. Some of your characters are just very good and moral - in my view, of course - people, easy to sympathise with even if they make harsh decisions. It's an excellent story, with enough questions to keep answering for a long and entertaining time. Also, the Easter Egg hunt is just too much fun not to partake in. At first I was avoiding the story - as I said long tales are usually too much effort unless really excellent, and I hate reading from screen. But I really had to check what all the hype was about and yes, it was absolutely my loss I didn't start earlier. I had to catch up all at once.

canonized: Haha that's high praise ! Speaking of its complexity , it's also , as you’ve noted , quite long and will intend to be going on for a long time (since we're only in the 1580s) . Where would you like or even expect to see Timelines go from here ?

RGB: I'm alarmed at the pace of world conquest! It's still only 1582! I don't know - it could make sense if the "past" story ended with, say, three generations or so afterwards, in the 18th century, and we were filled in what would happen in the 1800s and 1900s via the story (some kind of fictional future), but if you intend to go to Victoria or HoI you'd better have some real enemies left. However, one area where I'd like more emphasis is group identity problems. That is, some may identify more with language or nationality than Spain's European Catholicism...while some may differ in ideology from the ruling classes. and other religions should not be easy to get rid of. Some more internal strife in Hispania Universalis, and the kind that takes to the streets instead of lurking in the shadows and lost temples but I'm sure you have some planned for us.

canonized: What do you think the Timepiece is ?

RGB: Well. Ahem. (Do I get points for effort?) The Timepiece allows one to control history, change it, but I've never really seen one in action. They will eventually link the future and the past in one giant loop of a story. And they were held by the Christian patriarchs, which should explain why they're so successful. They also fell from the sky and there was a sea of blood involved and some icebergs. I have no idea why five, but that must mean that it's nothing to do with Eve.

Part III: The Imperial Purple
Finally , we shall take a look at the ambitious start of RGB’s megacampaign !

canonized: One of the first things about your history narrative that I found intriguing was the different perspectives from each person . Especially on a university level the analysis is not only insightful as it tells the tale but it is also believable . How did you come up with such a storytelling style for this AAR ?

RGB: Oh dear. Well. History is a story, someone is telling it and someone is listening. I could be the one telling it and my audience could be listening but everyone does that. There was an earlier AAR - (Ricky) A French Century. It had a very biased prof and a student that believed every word. But that was set back in the day when students did believe every word. I moved mine up to 1990, and gave my professor an unfriendly audience and a girl who can read textbooks on her own. I do admit I really struggle with the style and other than the opposing viewpoints and bias I can't make them distinctive enough. I hope I will learn how soon, since we're almost done with CK and after that my narrative mode will change.

canonized: How would you say your tone or focus would change as you switch from CK to the other incarnations of the paradox games ?

RGB: Well - I think I will keep some of the future-past theme going...so it will be history accounts written years and years after the fact by introspective writers....interviews with war veterans years and years afterwards...a deathbed-confession novel with a much younger and doubting listener...you know. Whatever is appropriate for the particular time period. But I can't logically make Xenia study Russian history after the 1400s, realistically, and there's no way prof. Howard would be involved in any of that so I have to switch. That, and I think I’d like to explore several styles. I'm still very new at the WritAAR business as you know. But then so are you, so that's hardly an excuse.

canonized: When I was reading , I was also a bit curious , will we see a dalliance between the professor and the 'star pupil' ?

RGB: You’re asking for a spolier? heh. Well, no. no. but that will come into play tangentially. The theme is there, and I'm very pleased you caught on this early.

canonized: One of the most interesting parts so far is hands down the surprise everyone received when you had three homosexual characters at the same time . Although I'm personally against the lifestyle , it was nonetheless an interesting read . What are your thoughts on this entertaining chapter ?

RGB: Well, I knew it was coming from the day I started writing the AAR, and so it was no surprise to me. But when I was playing, that was like, oh, wow, what are the chances. But it's a good trait that should be in the game, whether you like it or not; after all, it was a real historical consideration, and probably occurred a slight tad more than well, utter madness, say (and that's VERY common!). But I prepared for the event, so I introduced xenia's brother and his Russian boyfriend in the second chapter; she is sympathetic, because of that. Again, just one more of the things to set her worldview against her teacher's. There’s more of disagreements coming or already voiced, but this is one of them.

canonized: So far another part that's striking is that at first I had expected a very Russian-oriented story but I was surprised to see that you gleefully took up the Mantle of Constantinople . Why did you choose that particular area and goal ?

RGB: The game made me do it! I really did inherit Basil Skleros' successful rebellion with my firstborn. I know it would derail my Russian story for centuries, but when a chance like that comes by, why not? I mean if you were Vladimir, wouldn't you? Plus of course there is now a perfectly solid excuse for Russia's later imperialism - they're only restoring Theodore's Crown, after all. We'll take back that land, by Jingo! It is a definite point of contact between the different chapters

canonized: I'm also curious : this particular AAR is excellent in its research and its meticulous attention to the customs of the time . Although I would personally find it hard to believe that the Bulgarian heresy wasn't shut down immediately but that's just me talking =P , how would you say CK's dynamicism altered your scholarship ?

RGB: I had to come up with incredibly tall tales to excuse the computer's behaviour. Inheriting Basil Skleros? Really? Norwegian Kiev? Really Really? But this is CK, so you had better be good at making excuses. About the Bulgarian heresy, I just wanted to see how big it would grow. But importantly it took a long time to defeat the Bogomils despite the heavy persecution and they did make significant inroads far beyond Bulgaria. The Emperors also eased off the pressure when they were busy with other things, like fighting Turks. There's always a measure of pragmatism involved. My major mistake was the name. Bogomil is "very heretical" and even Basil wouldn't be able to defend them; I should have picked a more orthodox heresy. But now it's done, so too late to cry about it. Although there's always room for more research when writing AARs

canonized: Either way I think you provide a compelling and believable historical tale especially with the views expressed in the present time . So what kind of AARs are you planning for the future aside from this one ?

RGB: I am planning one about immigrants in America. It’s going to involve music. It will be a personal-interest story but it will involve multiple generations. I also may or may not write one or more in some poetic form, probably blank or free verse. And finally I will jump at the chance to be the next pope. I will try to write a real hagiography about a good pope - unless the game will tell me he was no saint and in fact a bad, bad man.

canonized: Thank you again for this wonderful interview , RGB and I’d like to thank our audience for their participation once again this week ! Remember that the voting has extended for the AARLand Choice Awards Q1 2007 until the end of this month so please keep RGB and myself in mind as you go vote . If you would also like to be interviewed just feel free to say hello on the thread and you’ll be put into consideration ! Please join us next week when we have our friend Llywelyn on the show ! Good fight , good night !

Last edited:
canonized, I do so enjoy the interviews *gives a big thumbs up*.

Now ... who else will we see catch a spear to the face ... :D

rcduggan: thanks !

Turin the Mad: are you volunteering ? XD XD ! Thanks for your patronage !

Another great interview Armi.

RGB, although I have seen your story, I have not read it. The interview proves you to be an interesting individual to say the least. :cool:

grayghost said:
Another great interview Armi.

RGB, although I have seen your story, I have not read it. The interview proves you to be an interesting individual to say the least. :cool:

Thanks mr. grayghost ! Hope you're doing well . Glad to see that you're getting adjusted to your new schedule ! If there's any way I could be of service just let me know :D .

Well, since you wanted my to, I will commenspamtate on this AAR more.

UPDATEUPDATEUPDATEUPDATEUPDATEUPDATEUPDATEUPDATEUPDATEUPDATEUPDATEUPDATEUPDATEUPDATEUPDATEUPDATEUPDATEUPDATEUPDATEUPDATEUPDATEUPDATEUPDATEUPDATEUPDATEUPDATEUPDATEUPDATEUPDATEUPDATEUPDATEUPDATEUPDATEUPDATEUPDATEUPDATEUPDATEUPDATEUPDATEUPDATEUPDATEUPDATEUPDATEUPDATEUPDATEUPDATEUPDATEUPDATEUPDATEUPDATEUPDATEUPDATEUPDATEUPDATEUPDATEUPDATEUPDATEUPDATEUPDATEUPDATE

now! :p

rcduggan said:
Well, since you wanted my to, I will commenspamtate on this AAR more.

Shhh.... He's sleeping.

You don't want him not to and for this to turn into Secrets of the AARK, do you? :D
j.

rcduggan said:
no, I don't think I'd want that... :eek:

Well, I kind of do, but I'm perverse like that. Still, there's 400 ingame years to go, which at this rate will take 100 actual years of AARing :D so there's plenty of time for authorial intrusion, plotholes, and talking parrots.

Speaking of which, I suddenly can't wait for the piratey update! Kill off these characters so we can send someone to the Carribean!!! :D

rcduggan: ROFL update coming tonight both for here and on Collage of CAARdinals so tons of stuff for readers to look at tonight XD

Llywelyn: Caribbean ! SHHHH it's not the 1700s yet I've got something really nice planned for that period !