• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
True dat.

Getting the Crusader trait is by event; presumably it goes faster if you are Zealous or have a high piety.

I would be very interested in playing. I would like to be spain or venice, maybe russia.

This would be my first MP game though, I don't know if that will be a problem. This sounds like fun though, keep me updated, I can't wait to play.

It is no problem that it would be your first time, we were all new once, and we are always glad to have new players.

We will need a name for our game; I suggest "There Will Be War", which has a nice aggressive ring to it. And besides, then we can title the EU2 part "And the Rumours of War", and Vicky will be "But the End is Not Yet", thus completing the quote from Revelations. :D

I further suggest that we adopt the rules from URR, which are thus:

The main rule will always be courtesy, consideration for others, and smiling (not gloating!) as you slip the dagger in; but we also have some others.

• Game time will be enforced in two ways : First, we will give out an on-time cookie of one month's income for those who show up on time. (The amount may be adjusted later.) Second, five minutes after game start, by the GM's watch, we will begin no matter who is present. If you are not present at that time, you will have to wait for the first crash to be picked up. If the game turns out to be stable that night... Well, that's the night you should have been on time, yes? This is harsh, but I've had bad experiences with letting the game time slide.
  • To prevent pagan bashing, you are permitted one DOW against a pagan or Moslem per ruler lifetime. You can not save up these DOWs. If your ruler has the Crusader trait, you are given one extra DOW. In addition, it is always permissible to declare war on the owner of the current Crusade target. If a Moslem DOWs your ally, or vice-versa, you are permitted to respond; but you are not allowed to go above your DOW limit to help out a human player who is not your formal ally. Let the aggressor beware! This is intended to keep the Moslems as a viable threat for some way into the game. In order to help me enforce these rules, it would be much appreciated if everyone would put "New King" and "Pagan/Moslem DOW" in the chat when these things occur.
  • In order to have a smooth start and avoid people killing their way to easy thrones, there will be no assassinations for the first five years.
    * There will be an AAR reward of three month's income, or the addition (not removal) of one trait of your choice to your ruler. (And yes, this does mean that an AAR can give you an extra DOW through gaining the Crusader trait.) To qualify, your AAR must be at least 500 words, and posted 24 hours before game time. Also, bear in mind who will probably be doing the editing : To wit, me. If you post late Thursday, I may or may not see it that day, and who knows what I'll have time for between getting home from work, making dinner, and game time? If you post late, getting your edit should be considered a privilege and not a right.
  • Obviously, it is forbidden to attack a player who is AI'd, and if the AI attacks you, peace treaties should be maximally lenient. (This can be adjusted a little for the respective power involved; if Germany attacks the county of Slesvig, it's not unreasonable for Slesvig to take a province or two if by some miracle they should win. AI or no AI.) However, this protection fades in proportion as people do not show. If you are gone for three weeks without posting, do not expect to find your realm intact on your return.
  • It is as a general rule forbidden to annex another player's vassal, unless he has given you permission - either explicit, by agreeing to it out loud, or implicit, by not DOWing you when you DOW the vassal. However, if you have been at war with someone for three years, and they refuse to make peace, you are permitted to annex vassals. There is no other force-peace rule, apart from occupying someone's demesne entirely.
  • Finally, note that we are all going to be fairly close together; this almost certainly means that some Duchies will be in untenable positions after a few years, as they lose out in the jockeying for power. This is deliberate, to avoid the arid stretch of AI bashing (might as well play SP!) that characterises the first part of many MP games. Again : This means that some of us will lose out to start with. Don't take it personally, don't get too attached to your first Duchy, and do plan to start elsewhere in Europe and get some revenge. (Keep in mind that it's easier to write a brief, heroic tragedy than a multi-generational family epic. Don't think of it as defeat, think of it as a good AAR opportunity.) If you have to start over, we'll try to find something of reasonably equivalent power to what the other players have; this means that you are not necessarily forced to start as a Duchy for your second life. The GM's judgment is final on what constitutes 'reasonably equivalent'; you are welcome to make requests and suggestions. In the interests of keeping people together, though, try to start somewhere reasonably close to the other players, even in your second incarnation, so that you'll be right in the game again.

I will update this post as and when I remember, which may mean that it gets weeks or months out of date. C'est la vie.

I liked the rules. They take care of some of the problem I saw with the rules of MTT.

Sign me up! I'm not an experienced CK player so i would like something like the county of Lincoln if possible.

I also suggest we wait until DV comes out, it may be able to address several problems associated with CK including MP instability (We can only hope).
In regards to wether we should go with EUII/EUIII I would suggest EUII. Mainly because my comp is unable to run EUIII.

Last edited:
Cuthuthulu said:
Sign me up! I'm not an experienced CK player so i would like something like the county of Lincoln if possible.

I also suggest we wait until DV comes out, it may be able to address several problems associated with CK including MP instability (We can only hope).
In regards to wether we should go with EUII/EUIII I would suggest EUII. Mainly because my comp is unable to EUIII.

I also agree with using EUII and waiting for Deus Vult.

I think I would enjoy playing the Dutchy of Saxony or Bavaria. I am rather undecided.

As we are doing Duchies, I would like to indicate my interest in the Lorraine region, either upper or lower.

And are we waiting for the expansion? If not, when is the planned start? It would be good for me to know because I will have to have my normal computer fixed by that time, good to have a deadline :D

If we dont wait for the expansion when MTT ends, which might be 1 to 3 weeks.

KoM I would like to suggest that we modify the Duhy rule you posted, as a conversion game having everyone be Duchies close to each makes it rather awkward once EU2/3 comes around, I think starting off as Duchies is a great idea (except in the case of Byzantium which is a death sentence) as it should allow all of us to have some fun becomming the nations we will be in Europa Universalis.

Hope you dont mind KoM but since were playing a game that has if I can count correctly 4 stages, Ild rather name in "In the Balance", "Tilting the Balance", "Upsetting the Balance", and "Striking the Balance". I am sure it is completely fitting.

Also I would very much like for everyone here to post their MSN and ICQ contact information as well as your current main email address, also I would like everyone to buy, acquire, borrow, or otherwise steal a microphone and download teamspeak and/or ventrillo for when the game does start, it is my experiance that playing over VOIP is the best and msot stable way to play with the fewest hardships.

I must say I'm not that fond of Turtledove. As for the fourth stage, I just looked up how my quote continues, and - lo and behold! - it is most appropriate:

There Will Be War
And Rumours of War
But the End is Not Yet
For Nation shall Rise Against Nation, and Kingdom against Kingdom.

Much more evocative, and highly descriptive!

I did not understand your proposed modification to the Duchy rule; what were you suggesting?

As for start time, it seems people do want to use DV, or at least there are no strong objections. Shall we say, then, shortly after DV is released?

I like KoMs suggestions for name. And I could very well go for duchies close to eachother. Gives more game early, instead of AI and pagan bashing.

Remeber though we'll be converting to EU, if everyone starts close to each other then essentially everyone borders eachother and thus gives us a really ugly map. I don't know about you but I much prefer having some kind of ai buffer zone, and with CK theres not much AI bashing to begin with due to game mechanics, I think how it should work is that nearly everyone needs to start off as a Duchy and slowly become the nation state they eventually wish to become.

Also its not as bad as say someone being england and someone else being China in a multiplayer game, Novgorod/Kyiv, Saxony, Lorraine, Napoli, etc are all in my eyes fairly close enough together, remember in CK you dont need MA to attack someone over someone else's territories, I dont think distance is that much of an issue.

Sid Meier said:
Remeber though we'll be converting to EU, if everyone starts close to each other then essentially everyone borders eachother and thus gives us a really ugly map. I don't know about you but I much prefer having some kind of ai buffer zone, and with CK theres not much AI bashing to begin with due to game mechanics, I think how it should work is that nearly everyone needs to start off as a Duchy and slowly become the nation state they eventually wish to become.

Also its not as bad as say someone being england and someone else being China in a multiplayer game, Novgorod/Kyiv, Saxony, Lorraine, Napoli, etc are all in my eyes fairly close enough together, remember in CK you dont need MA to attack someone over someone else's territories, I dont think distance is that much of an issue.

IMO it would be even worse when we convert to Victoria (revolutions, right?).

Why is Spain,Italy and Russia on the Countries list? last time I checked there was no Spanish title, Italy is held by Germany at the start of the 1066 scenario, and though i'm not certain as wether or not the russian title exists (I havn't played in that region) I'm almost certain Russia has not been formed yet.

Sid Meier said:
Hope you dont mind KoM but since were playing a game that has if I can count correctly 4 stages, Ild rather name in "In the Balance", "Tilting the Balance", "Upsetting the Balance", and "Striking the Balance". I am sure it is completely fitting.

Also I would very much like for everyone here to post their MSN and ICQ contact information as well as your current main email address, also I would like everyone to buy, acquire, borrow, or otherwise steal a microphone and download teamspeak and/or ventrillo for when the game does start, it is my experiance that playing over VOIP is the best and msot stable way to play with the fewest hardships.

Have a mic and vent. Don't have MSN or ICQ, have AIM, sn igi1188 and gmail messanger, which is also my main email carillonatreides @gmail.com (no space).

Also, are we planning to go all the way to HOI II?

Cuthuthulu said:
Why is Spain,Italy and Russia on the Countries list?

It is shorthand for "A duchy in that region".

Touching the problem of converting when we are all close together, the idea is that some people will lose out in the scramble for power, and start over again in more distant locations. Thus we'll end up with considerable separation, but start out with intrigues and small-scale wars.

I dont think thats a good idea considering how unbalnced the periphery will become later on, its best to give people a nice sandbox to play around with. With 10ish people, my hosting and latest patch no mods we should be stable enough. People tend to become attached to their little countries its best not to deliberately put them in a position where there;s a 33% chance of dying deliberately.