• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Battle won 1.jpg

Battle won 2.jpg

Battle won 3.jpg

With the help of our allies, the Ottomans have bitten the dust :)!

A culture accepted.jpg

We were in such a good mood during our successful war that we have decided that Bulgarian is an accepted culture in our realm.

Mamluks peaced out.jpg

Our ally the Mamluks was less lucky. The allies of the Ottomans invaded the Mamluks from the west and they had to peace out from the war. They broke every treaty with us, but we still have good relations and our strong ally Poland-Lithuania on our side.

Battle won 4.jpg

And the last battle is over, resulting in a big victory for the Byzantine Empire.

Overview Ottoman defeat.jpg

After sieging the last provinces and letting war exhaustion go high in the Ottomans, we decided to sign a peace treaty.

Peace treaty 3.jpg

We demanded that the Ottomans ceded their remaining Bulgarian lands to us, as well as their western bordering coast.

Eastern Balkans freed.jpg

The Turks are finally driven from the Eastern Balkans! Feasts were given throughout the whole Empire to celebrate this wonderful moment.

Nikomedia reclaimed.jpg

With Kocaeli finally back in Byzantine hands, we renamed its heathen name to Optimatoi, which gives us 10 prestige and 50 DIP. How lovely can these events be?

Extra stability.jpg

Our prospering realm is growing and is attracting people from all over the known world. A minstrel came to our country and brought stability to our realm.

Lithuanian integration.jpg

Also a remarkable decision of Poland. As far as I know, they can’t use the decision to form the Commonwealth because they don’t have ADM tech lvl 10, so they just manually integrate them.

City of the World's Desire.jpg

With Wallachia unable to vassalize/annex, the Ottomans still think we’re weaklings! The City of the World’s desire is ours, and will stay ours!

Merchant Fleet.jpg

With control over the Constantinople trade region growing, we decided to build a new merchant fleet which will protect our trade interests in Aleppo.

Hüdavendigar cored.jpg

Hüdavendigar is finally cored and is formally a new province in our Empire.

Ming Civil War.jpg

With one Empire growing strong, another is decaying. The Ming Empire is embroiled in a devastating Civil War :eek:. How many times didn’t I prayed for that one popup during my attempt of forming Manchu/Qing :(.

More manpower.jpg

Since I can’t develop my provinces, events like this are welcomed with joy!

CTA 1.jpg

Wallachia decided Serbia was ready to be invaded, and asked to help them out. Serbia is only allied with Bosnia, but with an Ottoman warning to Wallachia this can be a risky and two front war. Will Byzantium take the risk and accept the demand? You’ll see it next week! I hope you enjoyed it :).

Last edited:
Reactions:
The Byzantine Empire is looking much better than it did at the start of this. Excellent work beating back the Ottomans.

Avoid wallachia for vassal feeding - +50% coring costs. Release trans or take serbia to feed hungarian provinces.
I didn't know that, thanks for mentioning it. Plans changed already, and Wallachia is still an ally, so thank god I didn't do it :confused:. But I hope Croatia is alright for vassal feeding (would be to late to change though).

Patching the Roman Empire back up. Nice progress, yet so much left to do...
It's true, there's lot of work to do. I am lucky that the Ottomans didn't expand after this war. I left them a bit on their own after the third war, I think I should have just declared on them just for weakening them o_O. But no need to worry, we'll carry on :).

I've had a bit of a thing with Byzantium lately (see signature) and this caught my eye. Looks like you are well on the road to recovering the Empire's strength.

Keep pushing the Ottomans... hold them down and don't let them recover.

Enjoying your AAR - unfortunately, there's not enough posts yet ;)
Can't wait to see how you'll be faring.

You said you were playing wothout any DLC, but you clearly have the Purple Phoenix DLC events.
But why are you playing without all the DLCs?

Some of your events have funny stick figure drawings - what mod is that (for that matter, what mod makes your UI so purple)?

I've had a bit of a thing with Byzantium lately (see signature) and this caught my eye. Looks like you are well on the road to recovering the Empire's strength.

Keep pushing the Ottomans... hold them down and don't let them recover.
I know, I should have done that more :confused:, but it's my first serious try on Byzantium so I'm still learning.

Enjoying your AAR - unfortunately, there's not enough posts yet ;)
Can't wait to see how you'll be faring.

You said you were playing wothout any DLC, but you clearly have the Purple Phoenix DLC events.
But why are you playing without all the DLCs?

Some of your events have funny stick figure drawings - what mod is that (for that matter, what mod makes your UI so purple)?
Thanks for reading my AAR, it's nice to see you like it :). The nice thing about an AAR is (for me) that you want to know how it will continue, and that you can't wait for the next chapter.

Indeed, I forgot in my first post to mention the "Purple Phoenix" DLC. I really recommend it because of the flavor events it gives, especially when you reconquer the old Byzantine regions.
And I'm playing without any DLC because I don't have any ;), it's as simple as that. It's a wonder I got 1103 hours so far with no DLC :p.

The mods that I use are "Colored UI: Purple" because it's my favourite colour (I hope it doesn't irritate people) and "The Chapel - Event pictures". The Chapel produces some comic artworks, you can see them on Steam, made by Fatherlorris (he got his own webpage chapelcomic)

Last edited:
I'm incredibly impressed by this.

I'm incredibly impressed by this.
Thank you, I'm glad you like it :). I personally think that having no DLC, except 'Purple Phoenix', really makes a difference.

I personally don't like the favor system, and definitely because this would have made this run far more difficult.

The next chapter will arrive this weekend, probably Saturday.

Reactions:
Thank you, I'm glad you like it :). I personally think that having no DLC, except 'Purple Phoenix', really makes a difference.

I personally don't like the favor system, and definitely because this would have made this run far more difficult.

The next chapter will arrive this weekend, probably Saturday.

Haha. Ironic that one Paradox DLC has been rendered moot by the rest.

Haha. Ironic that one Paradox DLC has been rendered moot by the rest.
I'm actually wondering, I got the "Purple Phoenix" DLC with the pre-order of the game, but is it actually free for everyone? In steam there is no reference to it at all.

Chapter III: Wars, more wars and a triumph for the Balkans
Chapter III: Wars, more wars and a triumph for the Balkans
I just realized we have survived and have already reached the year 1509! So if we can survive the past few wars, why not join some more ;)? As you can see below, the Ottomans didn’t join the war and we only have to fight Serbia and Bosnia.

Wallachian-Serbian war.jpg

Partiarch event 1.jpg

We’re not very pious though, since gaining Patriarch Authority costs us more than losing it. We’ll definitely solve this when we restore the Pentarchy. Now that I’m speaking about the Pentarchy, does someone know for sure that if you want to disable the Papacy AND the Curia if you have to take the mission or if just conquering the required provinces and converting them is enough? That would be much appreciated :)!

Warriors don't read books.jpg
Restoring a decayed Empire requires some violence and wars, who do you think you are? We can’t help it that we don’t have the time to read books :mad:!

Peace Wal-Serb war.jpg

I occupied Vidin and Temes before Wallachia could, so Serbia had to give cores back to Hungary and the Ottomans, while giving us two provinces, Raska and Skopje.

Province sale 1.jpg

Province sale 2.jpg

Province sale 3.jpg

Apparently, Serbia’s recently conquered provinces were not cored yet, and since they can’t core them anymore, they just sold them all to Poland. As if they didn’t already had enough influence in the Balkan :rolleyes:.

DIP tech 9.jpg

We are ahead of time in diplomatic and military tech, but our ADM tech is really lacking behind because of all the coring. Byzantium really should have some more cores in the Balkan if you ask me :confused:.

Skopje cored.jpg

Skopje became a rightful part of our Empire!

Castille-French war.jpg

Dear news reached us. Castille declared war on France. This game can be a bully sometimes. France is almost always a strong powerhouse, and now they are invaded from everywhere. What’s wrong with you France :mad:?

Peasants getting upity.jpg

Peasants, what to do with them? If they don’t see a comet then they’re getting uppity. I guess we’ll have to live with it :rolleyes:?

Byzantine-Mamluk alliance.jpg

Our alliance which was forcedly dissolved is now restored. This will keep our influence high enough across the Middle East.

Byzantine-Venetian war.jpg

The rebels of Negroponte are weaklings! If they don’t revolt, than we will bring them in our realm :D!

Regency council.jpg

Heir Zoe.jpg

A regency council was installed after our Emperor past away. Zoe II (don’t know why she’s the 2nd) Palaiologos will soon take her place on the throne.

ADM tech 7.jpg

We reached ADM tech lvl 7, unlocking a new set of idea groups.

Quantity idea group.jpg

Our first idea group was administrative (I think I better should have chosen religious but we’ll see) and our second will be Quantity, to bolster our armies.

Levée en masse.jpg

We already unlocked our first military idea, and a national idea, which decreases our mercenary costs :D.

A new Basilissa.jpg

Zoe II Palaiologos was crowned Empress of the Byzantine Empire. I actually just found out that the official title used here is “Basilissa” :oops:.

To differ our Empire to the rest of the world, we announced, on the coronation of Zoe II, that the title of Emperor/Empress was way too humble to honour our rulers. Therefore, our upcoming rulers will be granted the title “Basileus / Basilissa of the Byzantine Empire”.

Long live Basilissa Zoe II Palaiologos of the Byzantine Empire!

For those who want to know more about the title, here’s a link to Wikipedia.

Mamluk capital sieged.jpg

Venice was clever enough to siege the Mamluks capital :eek:. There is a risk they will peace the Mamluks out with annulling our alliance again, so we will have to end this war quickly.

Patriarch event 2.jpg

Reforms are always good, especially if you can strengthen your legitimacy with it. The Patriarchy didn’t liked it, but we didn’t care.

Peace treaty 2.jpg

Peace was signed with Venice, resulting in Zagreb, Dalmatia, Ragusa, Lika, Donji Kraji and Negroponte being ceded to us. As you can see in the background, France isn’t doing well. To be honest, they’re just crap :eek:. RIP France.

Triumph for the Balkans.jpg

A triumph for the Balkan, and a victory for us. Our armies gained a lot of army tradition and our prestige got a boost, long live the Basilissa!

Releasing Croatia.jpg

Since I can’t core all this territory for myself, I released Croatia as a vassal (unlucky for me I can’t convert the provinces and then release them :(). I will feed them Bosnia, Serbia and Hungary later.

Recover Greece.jpg

Our mission to recover Greece was completed.

Bosnian conquest mission.jpg

Our next mission will be to protect our brethren in Bosnia and then feed it to Croatia.

Papal coalition.jpg

Our recent conquests in the Balkan haven’t gone unnoticed in Europe, with The Papal State, Sienna and some other minor Italian nation(s) joining a coalition against us :mad:. We’ll have to watch out in the future for this, since one war is enough to screw us.

Eased tension.jpg

Interesting how you can abuse every situation to your own good. Even a diplomatic insult can turn out positive for us.

A new heir.jpg

Our Empire got a new heir. Demetrios Palaiologos (4/3/4) will serve our Empire well with such stats.

Ottoman joins coalition.jpg

The Ottomans have joined this traitorous coalition of the Papal State :mad:. We want to avoid a two front war, so we’ll have to improve relations with our neighbours o_O.

Reactions:
AE Ottomans.jpg

As you can see, we have gained 108 AE with the Ottomans. I think it will be time that we give them a visit, and a not so friendly one :D.

DIP tech 10.jpg

Our DIP tech has reached lvl 10. Our fleet will have to modernise if we want to have a decent fleet meeting the standards of our time.

Galley fleet.jpg

18 galleys were built in our harbours to replace the old galleys.

Napels integrated.jpg

Castille hasn’t reached ADM tech 10 either like Poland, and so they began with integrating Naples AND Aragon at the same time o_O. Naples has just been incorporated, and now a powerful Castille is right next to my door :eek:. Why France, why :confused:?

This also means that the DIP tech of Castille is lacking behind, which means that their fleet is also outdated. This can become very important if we ever come into conflict with them, since controlling the Mediterranean will be essential to win a war with them.

MIL tech 10.jpg

Shortly after, we reached MIL tech lvl 10. We don’t want to lack behind on that!

ADM tech 8.jpg

We’re also trying to recover our ADM tech gap. Vassal feeding will help us a lot with this.

Missionary strenght.jpg

You can’t go wrong with some extra missionary strength. Especially with all those heathens at our doorsteps.

Great person 2.jpg

Hopefully with recruiting this “Great person” we will calm down our neighbours and convince them we don’t have any false meanings with our conquests.

Ottoman-Serbian war.jpg

The Ottomans still don’t know what they’re doing. They don’t have any troops there and still declare a war on Serbia :rolleyes:. Paradox should fix this.

Military access.jpg

And maybe also this. What defines ‘strategic interests’ exactly? They just need my permission to go to Serbia, they can’t reach them otherwise. What are they hoping for, some magical port which will teleport them to there? Oh no, sorry, those were rebels, I must apologise :oops:.

CB the Knights.jpg

Ah, our CB against the Knights is ready. The Knights are actually not our goal for this war, Venice on the contrary is. I made the wrong decision to release Croatia (I had to of course since I can’t core it, but still), since I couldn’t make a claim on Ferrara.

Why do I need a CB against Ferrara? Because they are only allied with the Papal State. I want a bridgehead in Italy to conquer Rome eventually, but as you can see above, The Papal State has some decent allies (Castille for example). So if I attack Ferrara, I only have to fight them and the Pope.

Can you follow ;)? I hope so, they say too complicated plans always fail, so I will keep them as simple as I can :)!

Funding Byzantine rebels.jpg

In the meantime, why don’t we support some more rebels who will probably never rebel? We have to do something with our money :p.

Converting Ragusa.jpg

Our missionary has work to do! Ragusa will follow the only true faith in 62 months. This would have been easier with Religious idea group :confused:.

Wallachian-Serbian war 2.jpg

Wallachia declared war on Serbia again. We’ll probably gain a CTA soon, if we can halt our ally from expanding, why not :rolleyes:?

Corfu annexation.jpg

Corfu, which became independent together with Naxos and Crete, finally became a part of our Empire.

Deleting Corfu castle.jpg

Forts on islands like Corfu are just a waste of money, so we deleted them.

Triumph for Greece 2.jpg

And with that another triumph of Greece decision popped up. I think Greece can’t be more triumphing than before.

Byzantine-Serbian war.jpg

Our ally Wallachia lost their war with Serbia, and had to give Oltenia to them :mad:. Serbia will be punished for this bad treatment against our allies! We obviously just declared war to help our ally, why otherwise? We won’t get any benefits of it, not :rolleyes:?

Byzantine-Serbian war overview.jpg

We heavily outnumbered Serbia and Bosnia. I can’t remember why I asked Poland-Lithuania to join this war, since I can handle them on my own. Probably to boost our relations a bit.

Peace treaty 3.jpg

After a quick victory, we demanded Srbija and Temes and ceded Oltenia back to Wallachia.

Formation of Spain.jpg

Oh god, Aragon has been integrated and now Spain has been formed diplomatically. How nice o_O! And France is getting wrecked again :mad:. I think I have never ever more hoped for a powerful France to exist than now. In vain probably, even France can’t make a good comeback after so much trouble.

Byzantine-Knights war.jpg

Finally, our war for Venetian Istria has begun.

Byzantine-Knights overview.jpg

The Mamluks and Wallachia joined our war, and as predicted, Venice also on the side of the Knights :).

Failed invasion.jpg

Our first landing on Rhodes wasn’t so well. I even put some artillery on purpose in the army so they would be able to win easily. A mistake apparently :oops:.

Peace treaty 4.jpg

The Ottoman-Serbian war ended with a concede defeat on Serbia’s side. The Ottomans didn’t want military access as I already showed, but Serbia and Bosnia were so stupid to ask it for themselves :rolleyes:. So the Ottomans could now just walk through my land and defeat them. And because they can’t core the provinces, they just conceded defeat.

Succesful invasion.jpg

Our 2nd invasion of Rhodes has ended a little bit better than last time. We won a decisive victory and are now sieging Rhodes.

Patriarch event 3.jpg

Gold and inflation, two things which go hand in hand, but faith isn’t.

Victory 1.jpg

Venetia got sieged, Istria is being sieged after the Mamluks sieged it first, and soon Venice will have to concede defeat.

Huge Polish CTA.jpg

The Polish conquest of Breslau against a blobbing Bohemia, Holstein, Wallachia, Anhalt, Brunswick and Memmingen. Bohemia is a part of the Empire, and a weak Brandenburg will protect them. Now that is what you can call a CTA ;)!

I want to point out that, like my war against Venice, was only for a claim against Ferrara which we can use against the Papal State. I wanted to do the same for Wallachia to weaken Bohemia. But since we didn’t have enough ADM for coring Wallachian territory, the conquest of Wallachia never happened :oops:.

Whether we will accept this huge CTA or not, you’ll see it in the next chapter. I hope you enjoyed it :)!

Reactions:
Things are still going well for the most part, but Spain could be a big problem. They need to be dealt with soon or they're going to keep you from expanding west.

Things are still going well for the most part, but Spain could be a big problem. They need to be dealt with soon or they're going to keep you from expanding west.
You're right, Spain is really annoying me and is a thorn in my side. The problem is that they have some decent allies, England for example which you already know has a PU with Austria. Even with the PLC it will be tough. But in the end it will be inevitable.

Last edited: