• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Okay, seems europe is fucked up. :D
Keep your fingers crossed that PLC would not turn hostile. Especially when you plan to take on crimean land to steer trade into your home node.
Yeah, as always ;). And I hope so, they're the biggest power in the world, so turning against them is just signing my death sentence.

And I also noticed that you posted the 100st post of this AAR, congratulations ;)!

Dear readers, I need your help. I'm about to unlock the 5th idea group, but I've really no idea which I should pick. I'm considering the following:

An ADM group:

+ If it's Religious I'll have a good CB against heathens/heretics(enough of them everywhere) and I heard that taking provinces with this CB doesn't take up ANY DIP power (anyone can confirm this please?)

- My first ADM group Administrative isn't full yet and ADM power is really needed for coring provinces

A MIL group:

+ This will bolster my armies even more, and with the threat of the PLC and Timurids I can use a bigger and better army, question is which idea group if I take it.

A DIP group:

+ With diplomatic idea group I can increase my diplomacy abroad and improve the DIP reputation

+ With Trade I can increase trade and if I ever go to India I'll be able to ship it all to Constantinople via Alexandria or Aleppo > Basra

- I'm really lacking behind on DIP, I'm currently 15% behind. If I'll take a DIP group I'll be even more behind and my navy is still an important thing in the Mediterranean.

Any thoughts are welcome, I'm looking forward to hear it. Down here are all my current idea groups:

Naamloos2.jpg

Seeing how you have no negative for it, I'd pick a MIL group. Maybe Quality?

Seeing how you have no negative for it, I'd pick a MIL group. Maybe Quality?
I'm definitely not going to take a DIP idea group, I'm just way too behind on that. For MIL the choices are endless: Quality will make my armies better, with Defensive I'll have more army tradition, more moral, lesser maintenance, ... and Offensive will also give more army tradition, better generals, better and faster sieges and more forces.

Difficult to chose from o_O. I'll see if anyone else would recommend something. Thanks for answering, @TheAnguishedOne :)!

offensive?

Religious allows holy war which allows 0 dip peace deals on the wartarget nation. Not in seperate peaces though, they nerfed that.

If you take holy war, you can get missionary and more missionary strength.. if you combine with a cheap +2 or +3 inquisitor asked from clergy estate, it might prove beneficial to crank your religious unity up.

its what I'd do. I would have taken religious as third or fourth group, ust for the cb :)

Just one question you 'annulled alliance' the Pope, and then forgot to atack him? If you annul Alliance someone, just jump 'm when truce is gone :)

You got the popup/pause activated for truces running out? :)

Pope being allied to Great Britain can be solved by declaring on any ally of Pope, and doing annul Alliance again.

offensive?

Religious allows holy war which allows 0 dip peace deals on the wartarget nation. Not in seperate peaces though, they nerfed that.

If you take holy war, you can get missionary and more missionary strength.. if you combine with a cheap +2 or +3 inquisitor asked from clergy estate, it might prove beneficial to crank your religious unity up.

its what I'd do. I would have taken religious as third or fourth group, ust for the cb :)

Just one question you 'annulled alliance' the Pope, and then forgot to atack him? If you annul Alliance someone, just jump 'm when truce is gone :)

You got the popup/pause activated for truces running out? :)

Pope being allied to Great Britain can be solved by declaring on any ally of Pope, and doing annul Alliance again.
The problem I have with taking Religious is that it would only be for the CB, since I can convert a moderate sunni province within 13 to 20 months due to decisions and last Byzantine NI. Though extra missionaries can come in handy for bigger expansions later.

And for MIL idea group, any MIL would be good since my armies will benefit from it some way. Though Offensive sounds indeed good.

I didn't forget to attack the Pope, they allied Great Britain before the truce was up, they had some spare diplomatic slots and I just wasn't strong enough to attack them directly ==> this also clarifies why I can't attack any ally of the Pope, or it would be Spain or it would have to be Milan (big and strong) or Austria/GB which is too strong too (and the PLC didn't want to join also I think).

I'm sorry, but some things I can not remember anymore, because there is a lot of time between writing and publishing the chapter and playing the game. I think I took a two week break before I posted/wrote this chapter. Currently, I'm sitting at 117 screenshots, enough for the next two chapters which means I probably won't play the game again until these two chapters are written.

I changed my popup settings a while ago when you showed me how to, but I think truces indeed aren't showing... I should look into that to see if I can activate it.

Last edited:
you should as agressive play really requires to declare the day you come out of truce sometimes :)

Holy war cb saves ton of diplo, which you can then use on integrations instead. And an extra missionary and strength helps. If you go below 90% and Always go lower and lower and lower, you'll be in trouble in the end.

I was wondering, are you going for Pentarchy mission?

Milan doen't sound that bad. Don't forget that all you need is to peace out the Pope.

Enable popups for al wars done, and declare when Milan is in war. Then you can grab Rome 5 years after peacing 'm out.

Problem is that AI will Always re-ally..

I(d await your time, and watch GB, Austria, Spain.. Might be you get shot when there's big war in west. If France is involved it might work.

Last edited:
you should as agressive play really requires to declare the day you come out of truce sometimes :)

Holy war cb saves ton of diplo, which you can then use on integrations instead. And an extra missionary and strength helps. If you go below 90% and Always go lower and lower and lower, you'll be in trouble in the end.

I was wondering, are you going for Pentarchy mission?

Milan doen't sound that bad. Don't forget that all you need is to peace out the Pope.

Enable popups for al wars done, and declare when Milan is in war. Then you can grab Rome 5 years after peacing 'm out.

Problem is that AI will Always re-ally..

I(d await your time, and watch GB, Austria, Spain.. Might be you get shot when there's big war in west. If France is involved it might work.
Now I'm doubting again :confused:. I'm indeed going for the Pentarchy mission, and you're probably going to say that if I want to convert Rome I'll need Religious? It would take some time but it would work, I guess...

The alliances are all mixed up, I'll either have GB/Austria in a war or Spain, with the PLC probably not wanting to help (sneaky little bastards, those Jagielons ...)

But the problem for Rome might have been resolved yesterday ... ;)

That leaves just the idea group problem.

Last edited:
Well, you can invest in religious, and invest in it up to divine supremeacy +3% missionary strength.

And do holy wars that feed subject in Europe, even a sunni one is good. Then integrate them asap, and THEN use the missionary strength to convert it all :)

It's all up to you though.

But if your religious unity is dropping over time, I'd suggest the religious ideas. Especially if you want to convert Rome ;)

If you can convert at a rate that keeps your religious unity above 90, then maybe another idea is better.

P.s: your signature says path 1.15 , should be 'patch' right?

Following this, interesting to see your (great) progress so far. And I'm really intersted in how things turn out with this weird, weird Europe. ;)

Well, you can invest in religious, and invest in it up to divine supremeacy +3% missionary strength.

And do holy wars that feed subject in Europe, even a sunni one is good. Then integrate them asap, and THEN use the missionary strength to convert it all :)

It's all up to you though.

But if your religious unity is dropping over time, I'd suggest the religious ideas. Especially if you want to convert Rome ;)

If you can convert at a rate that keeps your religious unity above 90, then maybe another idea is better.

P.s: your signature says path 1.15 , should be 'patch' right?
Difficult, really difficult. I think I will have more use with Religious now than some military ideas which can also come in handy later.

I'll think I will just unlock Religious, and see if I like the CB ;).

About the signature, damn you, such a stupid mistake of mine :oops:.

I really feel like
2E585588E2F1F0EE1D9F1F0F925CEAA6F64B7A6C
right now :confused:.

I'll change it right away, thanks for it.

Last edited:
Following this, interesting to see your (great) progress so far. And I'm really intersted in how things turn out with this weird, weird Europe. ;)
I'm glad you like it, I've never seen Europe like that (I'm looking at you stupid baguetty France :mad:). We'll see how much Europe will change in the future if we push into it.

I do't think moderators will allow gif files in signature. If everyone would do that...

You can add gifs to post however, by inserting the gif link in the image button. 's what I do in my aar.

Chapter VII: Taking back what is ours
Chapter VII: Taking back what is ours
Welcome back to a new chapter today.

As said in the previous chapter, Eirene II decided to give the northern Italian provinces of Modena and Lucca to Ferrara. This will cost us no ADM and we won’t have to convert those provinces ourselves.

tPIBfO0.jpg

R5UilOt.jpg

Diplomats were sent to the Timurids to tell them the Byzantine Empire is their competitor and official rival from now on. Let them be warned!

ROnCmOP.jpg

A happy sight here: spies reported that the integration of Austria by Great Britain was halted, because Austria has 54 liberty desire. With some luck they will not succeed at integrating them for some decades.

Empg2c5.jpg

The Imperial Administration was updated to close the gap, which means we reached lvl 14. We can unlock our fourth idea group by now.

bYbMLuT.jpg

After some long debates with her advisors, the Basilissa decided to unlock the Aristocratic idea group. The increased coring costs for foreign aggressors, the extra manpower, extra diplomat and extra army tradition with, in the end, some reduction in MIL tech costs convinced Eirene to choose for this group.

45wNwAy.jpg

The first idea of that group was already unlocked, reducing our cavalry costs with 10%. This is in my opinion the weakest idea of the whole group, but it’s the first one, so it’s not bad.

3qpFrDE.jpg

With some spare DIP points ready to be used, the fourth influence idea was unlocked, reducing our AE with 20%! Really helpful for later wars.

LHhXaqW.jpg

With Eirene’s position strengthening, she gave birth to a son Theodosios. He is an average heir with 4/3/0 skills.

cd63bTL.jpg

Despite some peasants worrying again about a comet they saw, the Basilissa was able to maintain the stability in the realm.

3WG6tYc.jpg

With MIL points flooding in, our 2nd Aristocratic idea was unlocked, increasing coring costs for foreign invaders by 50%. This will strengthen our territories and make it more difficult for our rivals to take provinces which clearly belong to us.

kQMiXqb.jpg

While the Imperial army in Italy was attacking some rebels, it became clear for our neighbours that our cause is just. Our push into Italy and Turkey is justified because they once belonged to the Empire. The nations in question who own these territories naturally don’t agree with us, but we’ll teach them a lesson to show them we’re rightful owner of them.

Ahzkm0i.jpg

kMQqmGK.jpg

The rivalries changed again, with the Pope and the Timurids announcing us as rivals. We’ll challenge them soon, and they will regret their move.

As a response, we announced the Pope again as our legitimate rival, which will make it easier for the Basilissa to take territories from the Pope.

AvLikwm.jpg

Our spies operating in Moskva reported that Muscovy has declared war against the Timurids, our same rival. Muscovy for the win!

ZiSlXT6.jpg

Or not… Eirene decided it would be best to jump onto Trebizond. With this move, we can expand our influence in the Caucasus and break Muscovy, since they’re an ally of Trebizond. With help from the PLC, this shouldn’t be a difficult matter.

pwKqV2b.jpg

With the Imperial armies marching for Trebizond, we received news about an uprising in British land. A country called the Netherlands declared war on them, stating that they want to be free from dictators like Great Britain. The Netherlands are a weak nation (only 2 provinces) and Great Britain is strong and with powerful friends. The Basilissa shall follow the matter, but is not very confident that they will succeed.

hefRY0D.jpg

During the war, Eirene attended a Great Synod which was hold in Constantinople. The Patriarchs were trying to convince the Basilissa and the people of the Empire to grant more privileges to the Patriarchy. But the Empire hadn’t restored the Pentarchy yet, with vital key cities as Rome, Alexandria and Antioch needed to legitimate this decision. Therefore the matter was rejected, which pleased the people in the realm, because the Patriarchs weren't doing much to help the Basilissa reclaim those cities.
The rejection encouraged both her and the Empire to advance further beyond the current borders.

V9ySxMz.jpg

In the meantime, news reached us that the Dutch independence war was lost, and that the Netherlands had to cede Calais to Great Britain again. On the very same day, Brabant joined the Netherlands, making the OPM after the war a TPM now.

e55HIKw.jpg

The war is going good for the Empire, while claims were made on our rivals in Pisa.

axamc7j.jpg

To help our armies get quicker to enemy territory, ADM tech 15 was reached. This increased the efficiency of the Military Administration and as a result unlocked the ‘Forced March’ ability for the armies.

6pvSBfQ.jpg

The Netherlands keep growing peacefully, with Flanders now joining the Republic. The Netherlands also converted to the Reformed faith. I’m already hoping that big Gelre blob will join them ;).

J5vJzu3.jpg

The PLC are sieging down Muscovy and have already sieged down Moskva. Holland also joined the Republic, and peace will soon be back in the Empire. But for how long though…

jCtsZu5.jpg

After a quick fight in the province of Cheboksary, it became clear for Muscovy they had lost. The diplomats were brought to Constantinople to sign a peace treaty.

yqbFUNU.jpg

Eirene knew that to restore the Roman Empire, she needed to control the former Crimean territory now owned by Genoa. Mariupol had to be ceded to the Byzantine Empire, to serve as a bridgehead for a future war against Genoa.

OOg4Z7M.jpg

The DIP tech received another update now reaching lvl 15, making more ship models available to the Empire. The last remaining forts of Trebizond are also getting sieged in the Caucasus.

XhEnexK.jpg

And when they fell, peace was signed: Trebizond ceded Trebizond, Imereti, Mingrelia, Abkhazia and Guria to us, while also becoming a vassal. They will serve as an extra loyal subject to fight for us and to core and convert the former Georgian and Timurid territory.

iRyeoVj.jpg

With a swift victory of the Imperial armies, Eirene decided the army should receive some bonusses, which meant they were given better cannons and more training which improved the quality of the armies.

E4r3jbZ.jpg

She also decided that Croatia had served well as a vassal, but the Croatian territory should legally be controlled by Constantinople. They also don’t follow the true Orthodox faith, which will be fixed when the Empire takes back control of the territory.

GBdwZgP.jpg

But peace was something which cannot be true. The Basilissa had rejected the demands of the Great Synod, but only because the Empire didn’t had the authority to do such thing. Therefore, the Empire must retake the important cities of Antioch, Jerusalem and Alexandria, now owned by the Mamluks. The number of armies are the same, but our MIL should be considered of a higher quality than the Mamlukan one.

“Boys”, Eirene shouted to the army at Ankara, “today, we march for Cairo, but most importantly, today, we will write history! Let’s take back what is ours. Forward march!”

And while her voice echoed away across the rows and rows of soldiers, the army set off to Cairo.

nQzGx8x.jpg

The Imperial armies have never been so ecstatic when invading another country or going to war. At Sugla, the first clash between Byzantine and Mamlukan armies became a fact and the Mamluks suffered a big blow. 1-0 for the Byzantines.

8tHBUoZ.jpg

The Mamluks also lost most of their fleet at the Gulf of Cyprus. New ships were ordered to replace the lost ones. The Imperial armies were marching down to Ma’an and Jerusalem after sieging the northern part of the Mamluks. The armies were even more ecstatic when they entered the former city of Antioch. Who knows how they will react if they enter Jerusalem o_O. 2-0 for the Byzantines.

ZEJD6rH.jpg

In the meantime, Moroccan allied troops were sent in via the west, and a fight occurred at Ghazzah. The Moroccan king led the troops himself, but it didn’t help them much. They lost another battle near the end of the 5th of April, 1604 by the way (we're almost celebrating our 160th year of surviving, yay me :p).
It was also that day that Jerusalem was taken back. The soldiers went mad when they entered, and it took a lot of time to cool them down. Pretty difficult task when it’s April there :rolleyes:… 3-0 for the Byzantines.

KIn9Ph9.jpg

The joint armies of the Mamluks and Morocco went back after the defeat, only to be defeated again after a tough fight. 4-0 for the Byzantines.

AcMC0cN.jpg

After the troops in Jerusalem cooled down (near the end of November) they pushed further to the west, and defeated the enemy armies again in the battle of Gharbeyya. 5-0 for the Byzantines.

BOtRBMX.jpg

An enemy may have good quality soldiers, may have excellent generals, if they don’t have the spirit of liberating what is rightfully theirs, they won’t win.

The diplomats gathered again at Constantinople, and the Mamluks ceded Tarabulus al-Sham, Tadmor, Hamah, Sayda and Antakiya to the Byzantine Empire. Eirene, the Patriarchy and the Byzantine people were happy: the first sacred city was back in Byzantine hands.

Life is good in the Byzantine Empire ;).

Last edited:
KToIG5S.jpg

Antioch is finally reclaimed, and the Patriarchy was happy to see this would increase their Authority as they had wished in the Great Synod. Eirene agreed to rename the city Antiocheia back to the original name of Antioch. The name changed in the year 1084 when the Turks conquered it, almost 600 years ago.

y3ad5S1.jpg

The army got an upgrade once again, now unlocking more manpower with the idea of Serfdom.

ocZ3D3t.jpg

As expected, the recently conquered territories are considered overseas territory because of the corridor of Adana owned by Aq Qoyunlu. This will help us reducing high coring costs in the future.

yMf7Jvw.jpg

Our diplomats are working hard to deliver the utmost perfect peace treaties when we destroyed our enemies and rivals. The high standards of our diplomats are well known through the rest of Europe and the Middle East, which results in a high diplomatic reputation abroad. Eirene decided she would invest more in it to maintain the quality of the peace treaties.

V3mz7BZ.jpg

But this isn’t possible if the Imperial Administration is still lacking behind. It got upgraded to lvl 16 which also increased the production efficiency.

utGRVIm.jpg

With The Administration back on the rails, the military got even more presents. Our military tradition will now decay slower because of noble officers leading our armies.

ktp7Wr8.jpg

To test our upgraded Imperial armies, we started a minor war with Circassia. They will not put up a hard fight if we can rely on these numbers.

VQrLk69.jpg

All the investments of the Basilissa in the army and Imperial administration brought us with only one extra idea needed to reach the last NI of the Byzantine Empire. She therefore unlocked another ADM idea increasing the availability of mercenaries. This unlocked the so much desired “Restore the Ecumenical Patriarch” NI, which increases our missionary strength with 3%.

The Patriarch of Constantinople and the Great Synod were glad to hear the news and were urging the Basilissa to put even more effort in reclaiming what is since long lost. Eirene spoke to the Great Synod in Constantinople and declared she would do anything she could to reclaim the remaining cities of Jerusalem, Alexandria and Rome.

3W0Sgs0.jpg

The Imperial Administration was ready with the preparations of integrating Croatia in the Empire, and the Croatian vassal agreed to the terms. We still had the mission to reclaim Istria which is now fulfilled. We will now try to improve relations with Muscovy, because the Timurids are a dangerous enemy of our both.

wUvKzaF.jpg

With the western Balkans open to the Empire and still counting lots of heretics, Eirene decided to bolster the military presence in the area by building a lvl 4 fort in Donji Kraji. This would also halt invaders from the west if they would ever invade.

EBl3v65.jpg

Meanwhile, the Imperial armies are marching further into Circassian land. The armies met in Kaburdia, and the Circassian army had to retreat.

7s93Cn6.jpg

The excellent Imperial diplomats met together with their counterparts of Circassia in Constantinople and signed the following peace treaty: Circassia will cede Kartli, Sarai, Khundzia, Tarki, Kahketi, Terek and Kuma to the Byzantine Empire.

jveIDR0.jpg

Soon after, the diplomats received a surprising message from the Mamluks. They were demanding military access from us. Our spies in Kahire reported that they were at war with the Timurids. If we would give them MA the Timurids would also be able to go through our lands. Because of the importance of this, the advisers asked the opinion of the Basilissa, and she decided the Empire would not give MA to them.

(Later on, I saw that they got access through Hejaz which meant my rejection was nothing worth. But I don’t know if they went through them, I suppose so.)

IrakhlQ.jpg

The long peace between the Empire and the Pope brought border friction, and of course we took the choice which infuriated the Pope. Eirene laughed sarcastically when she changed the policy. “The common people don’t know what I’m planning, what I’m doing to retake Rome. They just think I’m sitting here doing nothing in Constantinople, trying to fill my day. Well they are WRONG!” she shouted.

fs060xi.jpg

After she calmed down, she read the reports of spies in the New World, and what she had thought became true: the Swedish are colonizing Colombia and Peru. They're probably trying to escape Europe.

geZZYlr.jpg

Back to more important matters: the newly conquered territories of Circassia were fed to our vassal Trebizond, while the Timurids are embargoing our traders from their trade centres. “They’re playing with fire to challenge us so badly with this embargo” Eirene mumbled.

sGvTYoH.jpg

Asia got uncovered completely, and the first thing I see is an ugly flashy green Berar in the middle of India. OK, why not :rolleyes:

DCVdgG5.jpg

Despite the growth of the Netherlands, they got smashed by Great Britain again demanding Vlaanderen, Friesland, Antwerpen and Ghent. Screw you, GB :mad:!

oWXOVCz.jpg

Muscovy is friendly towards us and has an old ruler and heir. Despite their current PU they could become a good target after they integrated Ryazan.

“I’ll royal marry my heir to his daughter, he’s still in need of a proper wife to get an heir for himself.” Eirene said.

Emlyzuh.jpg

Muscovy immediately thought we were going to help them, and sent an alliance proposal to us. It would be a risky thing, because the PLC wouldn’t be able to expand anymore to the east, but Eirene could try it nonetheless.

1Mx2UU3.jpg

With new heretics in our country, it’s time for our missionaries to convert them. It can’t be a real problem with the last NI finished recently.

Zy7lxgn.jpg

And then she noticed something. “The Ottomans are completely isolated, and do only border us and Aq Qoyunlu. If AQ is smart and clever enough, they will declare war on them anytime soon. We cannot let this happen, Turkey is ours! Send the diplomats to Konya, it’s time for war.” Eirene shouted, full with joy.

qccarCu.jpg

DuCRQut.jpg

The Ottoman armies got smashed in their hills. Soon they’ll be even smaller.

J6xxNmC.jpg

With the war in Turkey almost finished, diplomats urgently came back from Warsaw with important news: “The PLC signed an alliance with Spain?! How dare they betray their family, those Jagielons in Warsaw are nothing but bastards” Eirene yelled. This changed the whole plan and diplomatic playground of Europe. She would have to adapt and find another strategy to isolate Spain. She gave the command of the Imperial armies to her generals, so she could think of a good strategy back in Constantinople.

LAGprK9.jpg

Soon the reports of the last fortresses falling to the Byzantine Empire flocked into Constantinople. Eirene boosted the military even more, and hired some international nobility which increased the diplomatic availability and total number of diplomats in the Byzantine embassies abroad.

oBphIY5.jpg

Peace was signed soon in Constantinople: the Ottomans have to cede Siva and Kayseri to the Byzantine Empire. They also had to renounce their claims on Macedonia, Edirne, Tarnovo, Bihar, Silistria, Trebizond, Sofia, Hunyad, Guria and Skopje. Now the Ottomans are totally isolated and surrounded by the Empire, awaiting their fate.

I hope you enjoyed this chapter and I’ll see you next week :).

Another great update, Byzantium is really kicking!

Question. I see several Genovese ships in the Black Sea and in the Eastern Mediterranean. Apart from their possessions in the Crimea, they also still have an outpost in Minor Asia. How much trade are they stealing from Constantinople?

Maybe they should be taught a lesson, together with the PLC who makes obvious bade choices for allies? ;)