• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Chapter III - Blood and Plenty

History lends various titles Padishah Ahmad of House Marinid. Berbers and Moroccan subjects, who's freedom and opulence is the fruit of the emperor's judgement, know him as 'Ahmad the Magnificent'; generations of nationalists and heretics have conferred to him an ill-merited nickname, 'The Scourge' or 'Ahmad the Bloody'. In all good impartiality, scholars at the grand libraries of Alexandria and Marrakech refer to him as 'Ahmad the Belligerent', and this moniker summarises the Sultan's divisive character perfectly. It must be noted that Ahmad inherited all of these nicknames as a result of his actions between 1495-1510 - the 'Years of Blood and Plenty'. During this period, Morocco was locked in a state of near-constant conflict not only with its neighbours, but with her own citizens, as nationalists and aristocratic elements rose up against the court's sturdy thrall. Whatever the outcome, one cannot deny the extent to which Ahmad has shaped Moroccan history.

eu34d.png

In 1496, word reached Ahmad's court of a Portuguese colonial expedition to the south, in the land known to Europeans as Arguin. This news alarmed the Padishah, who dreaded interference with his own territorial ambitions in West Africa. A month later, drunken Portuguese sailors, docking at Melilla, assaulted and maimed a daughter of Morocco. The outraged Sultan, apparently perceiving this act as an embodiment of Christian excess and immorality, called for a personal jihad against Portugal.

eu35i.png

Loyal Moslems poured into Arguin, overwhelming a Portuguese force of far greater technological means. They promptly moved on to Trarza, a smaller colony, where little resistance was faced. Both settlements were seized; Portugal, having lost much naval capability some years prior, could not reclaim the ventures.

eu37l.png

eu39.png

It was only four tentative years later that Ahmad was called to arms again, this time against an old enemy. The Mamluks were critcally weakened by bankruptcy and chaos, relying on their allies for defensive measure. A reconquest of Syria, it transpired, had been poorly-judged. The hardened Moroccan armies marched for Cairo, the Holy Land and beyond.

eu310.png

eu311.png

eu312.png

eu313s.png

eu314l.png

Once and for all, the Mamluk hordes - scourge of the Moslem world for centuries untold - had been crushed. Ahmad had fulfilled the dream of his fathers. His realm now consolidated all North Africa, as well as the Judaeo-Christian heartland itself.

eu315.png

Concern was initially expressed by Christian leaders; rumors of a new crusade, seeking to evict the new conquerors from Jerusalem, drifted around the Old World like a plague. Eventually, however, Ahmad wisely conceded, allowing Christian pilgrims and communities free practice within that contested region.

Little did the Sultan anticipate that his next enemy would arise from the interior of Africa itself. The Songhai Empire of Central Africa watched Morocco's successes with mistrust and contempt. They were primitives, advocates of a false Islamic faith involving the worship of animistic idols alongside Allah, the One and Almighty. Conflict erupted suddenly and without warning, though the Padishah was adequately prepared.

eu317.png

eu320.png

eu320.png

eu324q.png

eu326m.png

Ahmad sought no conquest of the pagan realms, for, he presumed, they would wither and die as a result of gluttony and disorder, like the once-mighty Mamluks before them. Instead, he requested a simple admission of defeat, further glorifying his status as emperor. The wary tribesmen begged no extent of diplomatic persuasion before agreeing to his terms.

eu323.png

Last edited:
Good move taking care of the Portuguese before they could establish a strong foothold in Africa. Could have been a very different conflict if they had any navy to speak of! What is your infamy at present?

Good move taking care of the Portuguese before they could establish a strong foothold in Africa. Could have been a very different conflict if they had any navy to speak of! What is your infamy at present?
High. I'm gunna go off the war sauce for a little while, wait for things to settle.

Chapter IV - Ahmad's Empire

eu31c.png

With a period of internal stability immediately following the years between 1495-1510, Ahmad's kingdom flourished. The port of Alexandria, a former Mamelukan stronghold, was re-opened to foreign merchants under the Moroccan administration, and soon became a Mediterranean center of commerce, attracting tradesmen both Christian and Moslem.

In 1512, a conference at the Padishah's abode in Fez to discuss the fate of the al-Misr Arabs, who populated much of the eastern territories. For some time, local governments had been allowed to subject the said minority to persecution; it was decided at this seminar to end such a state of affairs. al-Misr Arabs were to be recognized as Moslems, tantamount to every Berber, Tripolitanian and Tunisian in the kingdom.

eu32b.png

This imperative assembly coincided with Ahmad the Belligerent's pronouncement towards the establishment of a Moroccan navy. This motion had long been considered, but economic stagnation and poor fortune had prevented its realisation. With the national treasury now blooming, the Sultan saw his opportunity. A particular interest of his was exploitation of a new development - rumours, delivered by European explorers and obsessed over by palace academics, that a vast and fertile land, a 'New World', lay somewhere to the west.

eu39r.png

eu318.png

As shipwrights worked tirelessly in the docks of Tangiers, Ahmad received word from Syria, ever-faithful ally of Morocco, regarding a jihad against the infidels of Armenia. Seeking to recognize that nation's contributions to his realm's past war efforts, the Padishah sent for an expeditionary force, who joined their fellow Moslems in Hammah for the onset of the holy war.

eu311.png

eu312.png

eu313s.png

eu314.png

As the war in Armenia progressed, Portuguese agitators in Arguin, who formed the base of the local mercantile class, took up arms against their overlords, inspired by their Christian kinsmen in Iberia. A force was called in from Figuig to neutralise the threat.

eu316i.png

eu317k.png

Sweet AAR, I always wanted to play Morocco myself. I will watch you instead!

Question: Why didn't you leave the Portuguese colonies alone and used the neighborhood to westernisze or at least get the wester arms trading modifier?

Sweet AAR, I always wanted to play Morocco myself. I will watch you instead!

Question: Why didn't you leave the Portuguese colonies alone and used the neighborhood to westernisze or at least get the wester arms trading modifier?

Because he wanted that land, and there is a colony of the UK in sierra leone. I would have done the same.

And also, if there is any need, he only needs to DoW Castille.

Anyway, great AAR!

Lol, just my luck ...

Two days back, I had to reinstall EU3, after some of the game files became corrupted. Upon completion, I realised all my saves had been deleted - including my prized Moroccan Empire. :(

I'm working on getting things back up, but my hopes are low. Thanks for the support to date, guys!

Char1es, a great read! Very good empire progress, and fun narration. Sorry it sounds like you're having difficulty getting it back running.

Is there a chance you might continue?

Rensslaer

Char1es, a great read! Very good empire progress, and fun narration. Sorry it sounds like you're having difficulty getting it back running.

Is there a chance you might continue?

Rensslaer
Doubtful. I don't really have the time to manage a flowing AAR ATM, anyway.