• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hey np I would not worry too much. The last I talked with ej he was trying to redo AAR from scratch due to so many probs. Hang in there.
delanonne

I would be very surprised if AAR is a mess as you say, since Limith worked on that and he is a good guy.
Possibly you mean the problems are elsewhere?

And Burning wouldn't have had all the stickies he still has if the mod had problems, so I don't understand what the problem is?

Possibly it is all just too ambitious to begin with? Since modding historical stuff is hard enough and having to follow it logically through from 1914 to 2020, then being ahistorical is just logarithimetically more difficult?

Yeah I've gone off this idea now, since I'd have to be exactly this and exactly that to satisfly the purists. If I don't have freedom of action and get a buzz from doing something, and HAVE to adhere to this and that, then it won't be any fun to do.

So, I think I'll leave this and go do something else.

I would be very surprised if AAR is a mess as you say, since Limith worked on that and he is a good guy.
Possibly you mean the problems are elsewhere?

And Burning wouldn't have had all the stickies he still has if the mod had problems, so I don't understand what the problem is?

Possibly it is all just too ambitious to begin with? Since modding historical stuff is hard enough and having to follow it logically through from 1914 to 2020, then being ahistorical is just logarithimetically more difficult?

Hey np I did not say it was a mess. The problems seem to be that AAR does not work the way it was made to do so after combining it with NWO2 and CWTT. So ej inherited AARs setup and was having problems figuring the whole thing out. He told me he wanted to redo AAR alone which is what he has permission for. So he wanted to make sure it was working the way it should first before trying to figure out how it mixes with NWO2 and CWTT. Anyway that is what I got from emails that he sent me. It was working fine with DH 1.2. DH 1.03 caused a lot of problems with AAR and a bunch of other mods. Limith was never able to get time to fix AAR and Burning was in the same boat. So what we have is ejs fixes of Burning and Limiths work. I hope that helps everyone. I have not heard from ej for a while now. That is the best I can tell you.
delanonne:unsure:

I'd hate to see this mod return to obscurity once more.

So lets be honest:

A) ej has been out of communication for only 2 weeks, two weeks isn't long by any stretch of the imagination.
B) If your going to try and satisfy the purists you've already failed :)
C) More and more ahistorical abstraction is going to be needed to get this mod working simply because were trying to shoehorn 100 yrs+ of social, economic and military history into a game that was designed to simulate 10 yrs
D) A lot of work is going to be needed with AAR and NWO to try and get things working together okay, it may well be my installation but most successor states don't get ministers until 1933 and the RCW usually (for me (and I have applied the hotfix on page1) ) see the Soviets dead in the early 20's, with typically Russia split between 7+ nations with boarders that would make a staunchest ahistorical fanatic weep and cry.

At least that's my 2 cents.

Hey np I did not say it was a mess. The problems seem to be that AAR does not work the way it was made to do so after combining it with NWO2 and CWTT. So ej inherited AARs setup and was having problems figuring the whole thing out. He told me he wanted to redo AAR alone which is what he has permission for. So he wanted to make sure it was working the way it should first before trying to figure out how it mixes with NWO2 and CWTT. Anyway that is what I got from emails that he sent me. It was working fine with DH 1.2. DH 1.03 caused a lot of problems with AAR and a bunch of other mods. Limith was never able to get time to fix AAR and Burning was in the same boat. So what we have is ejs fixes of Burning and Limiths work. I hope that helps everyone. I have not heard from ej for a while now. That is the best I can tell you.
delanonne:unsure:

Well if ej is having problems, he should ask for help, since I've already told him I wanted to help.....

YES, 1.03 messed up my 2 mods, Homeland and MDS. This is the problem with being banned, since you never know what is coming down the track, and then it hits...

BUT, saying that, if Burning or Limith will give me permission to do this, I'd be glad to. We have HISTORY, but I'm glad to forget about it if they are too? Nothing was intended anyway, it just got blown out of proportion like stuff does. And it was the moderator that did the damage, not me!

But I'm not going to ask them, but you can if you want to ask? OR they can just post here to go ahead. Pity since it would be a nice thing to get working, and good overall for the community.

I'd hate to see this mod return to obscurity once more.

So lets be honest:

A) ej has been out of communication for only 2 weeks, two weeks isn't long by any stretch of the imagination.
B) If your going to try and satisfy the purists you've already failed :)
C) More and more ahistorical abstraction is going to be needed to get this mod working simply because were trying to shoehorn 100 yrs+ of social, economic and military history into a game that was designed to simulate 10 yrs
D) A lot of work is going to be needed with AAR and NWO to try and get things working together okay, it may well be my installation but most successor states don't get ministers until 1933 and the RCW usually (for me (and I have applied the hotfix on page1) ) see the Soviets dead in the early 20's, with typically Russia split between 7+ nations with boarders that would make a staunchest ahistorical fanatic weep and cry.

At least that's my 2 cents.

Montreal and Barnsley. So did you start in Barnsley and end up in Montreal, or the other way around? And what about real ale Lad?

Okay really beginning to think I messed up the install, anyone else noticed these problems?

A) Random nations building lvl 10 airfields in almost every province
B) About 50% of nations that are created during the game don't have ministers (including Guangxi Clique which starts with ministers, but when it's annexed and released no ministers)
C) End of Naval treaties firing well before 1939 ('31 in my case)

Okay really beginning to think I messed up the install, anyone else noticed these problems?

A) Random nations building lvl 10 airfields in almost every province
B) About 50% of nations that are created during the game don't have ministers (including Guangxi Clique which starts with ministers, but when it's annexed and released no ministers)
C) End of Naval treaties firing well before 1939 ('31 in my case)

Hey m the first two are wrong and I have never seen them. The Naval treaties may be normal though. I am pretty sure that your installation is a problem. The procedure is tricky and I have done it dozens of times. The last time I heard from ej was on the 3rd of November and he was working on the Russian Civil war. He sent me a quick band aid that reduces the Sovs dissent which is a quick way to fix it. Email me and I can send it to you. It is just a revised Bolshevik.txt file that you put over the old one. One way to test your theory is to just put AAR on top of DH full. Make it a seperate mod which is what I am using right now to help debug the AAR. It is working real well for me now except for the RCW and the fact that the Germans do not lose often enough. The good news about that is that the mod does just fine with a CP victory there just are not any events for that yet. I played both German and Austria-Hungary games and it worked fine minus the events. Hopefully we will hear from ej soon. I hope this helps.
delanonne:happy:

Anyone is free to mod AAR however you want. It's released under GNU Free Documentation License (GFDL)/Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 (same as Wikipedia). AAR-CCIP is released under Creative Commons 3.0-SA-NC-BY to the public (already merged into DHF though in 1.03). Although just because you have permission, do not presume that I or Burning endorse your work, and when we merge AAR to DHF for 1.04, it will likely be based on our own development of AAR.

Bit of advice though: don't try to get AAR+NWO+MDS2 working at the start. It'd be better to just port AAR to 1.03 and tie that to the 1936 scenario. NWO2 works fine with the 1936 scenario so there shouldn't be any issues with that. I wouldn't recommend connecting to MDS2 myself due to the sheer complexity involved and number of ways the timeline can go wrong, and to be honest, that is more of a NWO-MDS2 development responsibility, not related to AAR-1936. Remember that you aren't responsible for all of the timeframes, just 1914-1936. Feel free to try, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Last edited:
Anyone is free to mod AAR however you want. It's released under GNU Free Documentation License (GFDL)/Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 (same as Wikipedia). AAR-CCIP is released under Creative Commons 3.0-SA-NC-BY to the public (already merged into DHF though in 1.03). Although just because you have permission, do not presume that I or Burning endorse your work, and when we merge AAR to DHF for 1.04, it will likely be based on our own development of AAR.

Bit of advice though: don't try to get AAR+NWO+MDS2 working at the start. It'd be better to just port AAR to 1.03 and tie that to the 1936 scenario. NWO2 works fine with the 1936 scenario so there shouldn't be any issues with that. I wouldn't recommend connecting to MDS2 myself due to the sheer complexity involved and number of ways the timeline can go wrong, and to be honest, that is more of a NWO-MDS2 development responsibility, not related to AAR-1936. Remember that you aren't responsible for all of the timeframes, just 1914-1936. Feel free to try, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Thanks for the reply Limith. Yeah, I understand, doing an aar-nwo-mds2 mod may be trying to eat too much of the cake at once, better to eat the cake one piece at a time, rather than try to stuff all of the cake into my mouth at once.

And with you still working on AAR for DH1.04, it would be a duplication for me to touch it right now?

So, I think I'll concentrate on joining NWO to MDS2, see how that works out, and later on, see about joining AAR to that?

Cheers!

Thanks for the reply Limith. Yeah, I understand, doing an aar-nwo-mds2 mod may be trying to eat too much of the cake at once, better to eat the cake one piece at a time, rather than try to stuff all of the cake into my mouth at once.

And with you still working on AAR for DH1.04, it would be a duplication for me to touch it right now?

So, I think I'll concentrate on joining NWO to MDS2, see how that works out, and later on, see about joining AAR to that?

Cheers!

I fully support that solution, so stable NWO-MDS mix would be great combination for the start I think.

There's nothing wrong with making an AAR update for 1.03 since I don't have time. 1.04 won't be out for a long time.

Also, there shouldn't be much work required to make AAR-NWO2 merger IF both AAR and NWO2 implement connections to 1936 properly, we use different ids and everything. And in 1.04, AAR's database will be DHF, so there should be minimal database merging required.

Ok guys, been a while, been busy fixing what I have to work with. So far I have pretty much completely rewritten the RCW. I am also fixing other issues that rise from what I have done. I have been too busy to post updates but I have been hard at work. This is very much alive and still being worked on. Novapaddy has offered his help and has done a lot of work as I can see. You guys will love the new and improved RCW. Nice to see limith has said 1.04 won't be out for a while, RCW was supposed to be reworked in that but I believe this will make everyone happy sooner, no offence to limith and his work, building a patch is more work than what I am doing and This is a lot of work, more than I thought it would be. Will try to give you guys something real soon. keep them heads up and ears to the ground, it is coming and soon :)

Ok guys, been a while, been busy fixing what I have to work with. So far I have pretty much completely rewritten the RCW. I am also fixing other issues that rise from what I have done. I have been too busy to post updates but I have been hard at work. This is very much alive and still being worked on. Novapaddy has offered his help and has done a lot of work as I can see. You guys will love the new and improved RCW. Nice to see limith has said 1.04 won't be out for a while, RCW was supposed to be reworked in that but I believe this will make everyone happy sooner, no offence to limith and his work, building a patch is more work than what I am doing and This is a lot of work, more than I thought it would be. Will try to give you guys something real soon. keep them heads up and ears to the ground, it is coming and soon :)

Can you please explain what exactly you are doing?

Are you porting AAR to DH1.03?

Or are you doing this and more?

I've compared the world_names.csv files for AAR - DH - NWO, just to get an idea of how the tags are when compared with eachother.

AAR to DH, is exactly the same.

AAR, DH to NWO, there are a few differences, but Bizon has added rather than changed mostly, and only in a couple of places, like Jordan/Transjordan, has be actually changed the tag.

So, overall, good to see they are not too dissimilar.

EDIT: Comparing MDS to the mods above:

All the Uxx numbers are totally different, the normal XXX numbers almost the same.

Last edited:
Can you please explain what exactly you are doing?

Are you porting AAR to DH1.03?

Or are you doing this and more?

I am balancing and reworking the Russian Civil War and making everything,AAR,NWO2 and CWTT all work like intended. I am planing on adding onto existing work and add Alternate History but that will come later. Right now worried about the RCW and making everything work.

I am balancing and reworking the Russian Civil War and making everything,AAR,NWO2 and CWTT all work like intended. I am planing on adding onto existing work and add Alternate History but that will come later. Right now worried about the RCW and making everything work.

It was suggested to me that a port should be done from AAR to DH 1936, to allow for historic and ahistorical events.

It appears you are doing a much bigger job. I think if I start work on AAR to DH 1936, it shouldn't really affect what you do.

OR.. will your work have covered this as well?

It was suggested to me that a port should be done from AAR to DH 1936, to allow for historic and ahistorical events.

It appears you are doing a much bigger job. I think if I start work on AAR to DH 1936, it shouldn't really affect what you do.

OR.. will your work have covered this as well?

That is a good idea and should not affect what I am doing

I played through my very first game of AAR, just fast forwarding to see what this is all about.

WW1 was just GER, Austria_Hungary vs Russia. France and the UK didn't get involved at all.

Leaves me feeling perplexed, since how to I join a mod when none of the expected stuff happens. HOW do I allow for that? You'd have to have so many IF's in the events, I'd end up in the looney bin...