• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I played through my very first game of AAR, just fast forwarding to see what this is all about.

WW1 was just GER, Austria_Hungary vs Russia. France and the UK didn't get involved at all.

Leaves me feeling perplexed, since how to I join a mod when none of the expected stuff happens. HOW do I allow for that? You'd have to have so many IF's in the events, I'd end up in the looney bin...

Welcome to my world

Welcome to my world

I think to do this, there would have to be some kind of "consolidation" of the countries into something like what actually happened historically, even if just for the larger countries? Else I would wonder if it can even be done at all?

How are you getting on ?

EDIT:

It is really about event-writing in a different way to the way we are used to.

For DH, we usually set the date, or the circumstances when such an event should occur.

For work like this, it would all have to be events controlled by circumstances, govt type, the leader, so never a set date, but rather a set of circumstances.

That also makes it very difficult to test, as you are depending on those circumstances happening to see the event fire in the proper, expected manner.

Last edited:
It is really about event-writing in a different way to the way we are used to.

For DH, we usually set the date, or the circumstances when such an event should occur.

For work like this, it would all have to be events controlled by circumstances, govt type, the leader, so never a set date, but rather a set of circumstances.

That also makes it very difficult to test, as you are depending on those circumstances happening to see the event fire in the proper, expected manner.

I completely agree, as I've said before DH is about a specific 10 year period and were now trying to use it to play a 100 years.

More ahistorical abstraction is needed, for a different project I've been trying to figure out a way to simulate opportunistic moments for a nation within the straightjacket of a nations strategic focus.

Or in other words, events like the Japanese Invasion of Manchuria shouldn't be specific events but an opportunity presented to the player as a result of an event chain triggered by the Japanese player/ai choosing to be expansionistic and the player/ai for Manchuria being vulnerable to an attack.

But I have NO clue on how to do this and frankly i'm convinced it's undoable with the current engine.

I completely agree, as I've said before DH is about a specific 10 year period and were now trying to use it to play a 100 years.

More ahistorical abstraction is needed, for a different project I've been trying to figure out a way to simulate opportunistic moments for a nation within the straightjacket of a nations strategic focus.

Or in other words, events like the Japanese Invasion of Manchuria shouldn't be specific events but an opportunity presented to the player as a result of an event chain triggered by the Japanese player/ai choosing to be expansionistic and the player/ai for Manchuria being vulnerable to an attack.

But I have NO clue on how to do this and frankly i'm convinced it's undoable with the current engine.

I think it IS do-able.

You just have to get out of the habit of giving a date for events.

You use other stuff, like govt-type, who the leader is, other events, election decisions, size of army/navy/air.

It just becomes generic, more than specific.

I think I'll be trying it out with NWO-MDS, only because I'm totally unfamiliar with WW1---1920s--1930s.. and much more familiar with NWO timeline. NWO will be much more difficult, since we already have 99 different tags in use, that have to be shared, or somehow gotten past, so we can join up the mods.

So for the moment I'm dropping AAR-DH and picking up NWO-MDS.

If I can get that to work, I reckon, I can do anything .. but I always knew that .. :rofl:

I think it IS do-able.

You just have to get out of the habit of giving a date for events.

You use other stuff, like govt-type, who the leader is, other events, election decisions, size of army/navy/air.

It just becomes generic, more than specific.

The problem isn't the dates, the problem is the triggering each nation has to check it's neighbors and those nations it can invade to see if the conditions are suitable for intervention which effectively would slow the entire engine to a standstill. Now you can perhaps mitigate this by only checking periodically but even so I don't think that will make much of a difference.

Either way enough derailing of this thread back to TGC and eagerly awaiting ej's next beta hotfix patch for the RCW!

Welcome to my world

France and UK not being involved isn't that bad, as long as GER lost, reparations event can be modified to check of France was in the war. Some more triggers, etc.

We only supported semi-historical in AAR (no GER winning), so the player has to ensure historical result happens, for the port you don't need to worry so much about ahistorical for initial release. We usually released a 1918 savegame with historical results for major versions as a result to help players. Again, for AAR-KR integration, there's a few existing files already on the repository.

France and UK not being involved isn't that bad, as long as GER lost, reparations event can be modified to check of France was in the war. Some more triggers, etc.

We only supported semi-historical in AAR (no GER winning), so the player has to ensure historical result happens, for the port you don't need to worry so much about ahistorical for initial release. We usually released a 1918 savegame with historical results for major versions as a result to help players. Again, for AAR-KR integration, there's a few existing files already on the repository.

Unfortunately GER won, as you see here:

On a 2nd playthrough, GER lost and Europe kind-of went historical; but I can see problems in stuff like Poland formed, but had a war with GER, GER won, so POL didn't reform in the timeframe that I play through... up to 1921.

I also noticed that when new countries form, possibly the command usually used now wasn't available when this was done, so it looks quite a mess really.

HUN and ROM also had a war, whether this happened in history, I don't know.

Yesterday GER and FRA didn't go to war at all, today almost as soon as the game starts, they do.

If you are having problems getting the RCW to play out, I can possibly help with the AI, since if you need one particular side to win (so you can follow history exactly) you need to inhibit the other side(s), like turning off reinforcement, or stopping them forming new units etc etc.

I was impressed with the AI in WW1, as the Western Front stabilised and quietened down for a period.

in my game germany won also, but the weird thing was soviet russia loosing home war, now russia is volounteer army, primorsk, ufa, siberia, northeen russia , i lol'd

what i mean is russia is now parted by few states.

Last edited:
in my game germany won also, but the weird thing was soviet russia loosing home war, now russia is volounteer army, primorsk, ufa, siberia, northeen russia , i lol'd

what i mean is russia is now parted by few states.

Don't worry, so far this is a thing of the past, there will now only be the soviet forces and white forces with all territory's the whites had to start, so if the whites win they win it all and no more annex primorsk or ufa and then they come back kinda crap lol just sent a file over to nova and del and once they look it over I will release that part of the fix, this is the ground work for the rest of my fixes and also for the alternate history part. Not to knock KR being integrated into this for the AH part but honestly I think that they went too far with it and too much is too different from being a real AH. I plan on building a new AH with nova and any one else, once we get TGC working and making the RCW a playable event that is fun and exciting to play or watch :)

Don't know if you guys are interested but...

Exact Quote from AAR Announcements:

Just letting the forum know that Australia is back online and being modded! I am right up to 1962 thus far and will soon be up to 1964!

Book Sources:http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/like/1610...iphx=1&lpid=94
http://search.slv.vic.gov.au/primo_l...99618&vid=MAIN

I managed to get the lot for less than ebay haha!

I love it, people do not realize how important Australia and new Zealand were to both world wars, if not for the land down under ww2 would have had a different ending for sure. They also had some very good and very bold ground forces in ww1 and their tunnel builds made a big difference on the western front :) that's all from memory not the web

You will need to give free supply depots for the White Russian forces cut off from the capital via event.

The split white forces was to represent that in real life the white forces were split, not sure how you will abstract that.

You will need to give free supply depots for the White Russian forces cut off from the capital via event.

The split white forces was to represent that in real life the white forces were split, not sure how you will abstract that.

thanks for the tip on the depots, I am consolidating their forces but that is only part of it, yes the white front was divided but also united with one goal. I am working on a way to express both of these parts for effective gaming. It is no small feat by any means nor a small task and having an historical viewing of the civil war is very important to me. I am still doing research in to all the particulars and figuring a way to express them in game. Any help to that end would be great limith

thanks for the tip on the depots, I am consolidating their forces but that is only part of it, yes the white front was divided but also united with one goal. I am working on a way to express both of these parts for effective gaming. It is no small feat by any means nor a small task and having an historical viewing of the civil war is very important to me. I am still doing research in to all the particulars and figuring a way to express them in game. Any help to that end would be great limith

Speaking of Australia's importance, Australia dispatched 2 naval vessels to the Black Sea to assist the White Russians against the Soviets :)

Hey ej!

I just think you may be giving yourself more work than you need to?

No need to give the whites more provinces...

All you need to do is to set up the AI so that whatever you want to happen does happen.

For the Whites to lose vs the Reds, you set their reinforcement to 0. You can also set all their building of units to 0. ... so they don't reinforce, they don't build anything new, and over a short time, the Reds will slaughter them.

This way, you can multiple UFA forces or whatever is in the game already.

Just a thought.

Hi all, I would like to give once again an update after playing AAR 1.03 TGC a lot this past week..

Firstly, the game is in good shape. When playing Grand Campaign, I merely need to leave aside the nation I am playing, and take over the USSR at some point in the early 20s and create the USSR through the 'acceptall' cheat, and a regular interwar and prelude to WW2 subsequently are pretty much guaranteed.

There is one known bug that seems to be occurring time and time again in my games. When WW2 launches, even if Germany has taken over France, Belgium, the Netherlands, and even the Soviet Union, Germany will somehow remain in perpetual war with Denmark without ever making a serious attempt at attacking them, despite having taken over the whole of europe (even Norway has been seized)! Surely some kind of bug?

The Spanish Civil War does not fire at all, and Spain remains a Left-Wing Radical country always. Though as part of alternative history, it is a good idea to not always have the Spanish Civil War, but it should fire at least sometimes. As it stands, it doesn't at all. Moreover, I would like if possible for provisions to be made for Spain to garrison its beach provinces, with the possibility of also garrisoning its overseas territories, if the AI player chooses to do so. As it stands, Spain keeps all its 30+ divisions in the capital Madrid, and will only move them once Germany takes over all of Europe, splitting its 30+ army between the two northern Spanish provinces that border Germany's French territory. It is too easy to take over Spain in an amphibious invasion, and it never protects its islands, or its lucrative Northern African provinces with the abundant steel. Unrealistic.

Another also known bug that always occurs is the known Cze, Rom + ger alliance that prevents the Treaty of Munich from firing. Although, this alliance can attack the USSR together at times without a Western Front war, they will never attack France, Belgium or the Netherlands if the Treaty of Munich hasn't occurred.

Also, when I play a country that is not Greece, when the 'Megali Idea' wars against the Turks and concurrently afterwards the Bulgarians happens, Greece always loses in Turkey even though it was a precarious battle in real-life. I have seen instances where Greece annexes Bulgaria and still loses the war against Turkey, despite owning the capital city, all of Western Asia Minor, and a lot of partisan AI movements occurring in Anatolia and the Middle East. As part of allowing for an alternate history, we should try to accommodate a Greece AI player annexing BUL + TUR who could go either Axis or Allies in World War Two, providing a valuable ally.

Another minor bug that occurs, is although the events fire for Yugoslavia to join the Axis, then be couped, then Germany attack Yugoslavia.. the war never actually occurs as for some reason Yugoslavia has previously joined the Axis powers together in its war against Denmark, whilst not having joined the Axis alliance, and alas, a country cannot declare war on another country if they are at war together against a third country. One possible fix to the Denmark problem is making them automatically join the Allies once war is declared, and ensure Germany carries out a subsequent invasion if Denmark does not fold as irl.

Also, another possible bug is dealing with the Eastern Front war. First, Bitter Peace ALWAYS fires even if Germany is creaming the USSR and could easily take over the whole country. Secondly, once Bitter Peace fires, a subsequent follow-up war between Germany never occurs.

I am very enthusiastic about the ambitious project of linking up the various mods to provide a century-long gaming experience, and as we all agree, alternate history will be the next step to ensure the playability of this grand project. I would humbly like to put in my two cents and suggest for starters, to aim to ensure a historical path of WW1 and interwar period as much as possible, and commencing alternate history projects with Cold War scenarios. Ie. if Axis take over Europe, does the war continue in the West or does a similar Cold War emerge with the Nazis? A similar Cold War but with all of Europe under Stalinist rule. An isolationist or a pro-active USA. Pro-imperialism and anti-imperialism trend of major nations post-WW2 etc.

Keep up the great work and really looking forward to Russian Civil War fix as the first major step to properly linking WW1 and WW2 successfully.

In one of my many reloads Ger finally attacked and annexed Denmark a full 1.5 years after taking over the entire of the rest of Europe... However, another possible bug is that after the Bitter Peace fired, a few years later, Ger re-attacked the USSR and defeated them, and the event fired 'Stalin accepts defeat' but the subsequent peace events made the Ger-USSR borders to be exactly the same as those from the first Bitter Peace (border at Stalingrad)... What was the point of the second Ger-USSR war (though Stalin is removed as HofS after the end of the second war).

The mod doesn't even launch for me. I get this error, then when I press ignore, the game crashes.

1384549876-20131115-161007.jpg