• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
So, you contend that:
1. You are a software developer, that is your craft, that is how you pay the bills
2. You do not have a bachelor's degree in software engineering or comp sci
3. 1 and 2 apply to over 50% of software engineers

?

... Seriously?

Autodidacticism plays a huge role in the careers of all successful engineers. But that continuing self-education typically only occurs after a foundation of skills has been built in the classroom.

I'm a DBA and lately an automation engineer, degree in Economics. I'm self taught with a little bit of on the job at the start of my career. I got into it because I was dicking around with video games and computers basically all of my life and it seemed like easy money and way less effort/stress than enterprise tech sales. Very few people I've met while working actually have degrees in comp sci or software engineering. Several of my coworkers in a prestigious New York managed services firm had history and arts degrees. It's been similar in other parts of the country where I've worked. Honestly the only people I've met who actually have an engineering degrees in info tech are people from India, Russia, China, etc although I've met a few of them who don't so who knows. I do know it is way easier to get an H1B with a tech degree than without though.

Americans outside of fancy artisanal software shops and the big tech firms don't seem to bother and it doesn't seem to particularly hinder them. In IT especially information sciences degrees are rarer than hens teeth. Most of them seem to come up through desktop or customer support, but plenty just kinda lucked into an entry level gig back in the 90s or early 2000s and made it work.

I did take an entry level comp sci class but it was about html and basic computer internals worked at a high level so I got bored and dropped out since come on, anyone my age with my interests had already dabbled in both.

I'm also a self taught shitposter and I used to be a dab hand at MS Paint back in 98. Turns out you can learn anything when properly motivated.

I'm a DBA and lately an automation engineer, degree in Economics. I'm self taught with a little bit of on the job at the start of my career. I got into it because I was dicking around with video games and computers basically all of my life and it seemed like easy money and way less effort/stress than enterprise tech sales. Very few people I've met while working actually have degrees in comp sci or software engineering. Several of my coworkers in a prestigious New York managed services firm had history and arts degrees. It's been similar in other parts of the country where I've worked. Honestly the only people I've met who actually have an engineering degrees in info tech are people from India, Russia, China, etc although I've met a few of them who don't so who knows. I do know it is way easier to get an H1B with a tech degree than without though.

Americans outside of fancy artisanal software shops and the big tech firms don't seem to bother and it doesn't seem to particularly hinder them. In IT especially information sciences degrees are rarer than hens teeth. Most of them seem to come up through desktop or customer support, but plenty just kinda lucked into an entry level gig back in the 90s or early 2000s and made it work.

I did take an entry level comp sci class but it was about html and basic computer internals worked at a high level so I got bored and dropped out since come on, anyone my age with my interests had already dabbled in both.

I'm also a self taught shitposter and I used to be a dab hand at MS Paint back in 98. Turns out you can learn anything when properly motivated.

So you write code sometimes. That's great, and I see that you weren't full of shit. But yeah, everybody in engineering and applied science/math writes some code. Everybody in the US military qualifies with an M4 carbine or an M16 rifle, but that does not mean everybody in the US military is an infantryman.

And yeah, IT people didn't get degrees in the 90's. I know a deputy CIO in that age group who was self-taught and never graduated high school. IT is a totally different animal from comp sci. Ask your IT guy to trace output from a nested "for" loop, or ask an EE to balance your binary search tree, and see what they say.

Poets aren't newspaper editors and USMC infantry aren't USAF Combat Controllers and EEs aren't MEs. Some of their functions overlap, but you get the picture.