• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Grown ups are shrieking, and screaming and the phrase "BAR THE GATES! BAR THE GATES!" is spat out over and over again.
Join the Navy and see the world. Visit Suenik and see the Underworld.
Certainly not! She's my mother! She's a pure and chaste soul - someone I can depend upon and trust, and who loyally stood by my father until he sadly passed away.
I learned a new word today.

"Whore".
:D That could be seen coming as a small dot on the horizon, approaching rapidly. And also, “stood by my father to make sure he passed away” :p
I have since learned what all those interesting words used about her meant, so when another suitor comes a-calling mother dearest is packing her bags for Horse Land.
Good choice.
I'm not worried though.

I've got the constitution of an ox.

I beat consumption!
Don’t say that, young fella. It’s fatal. :eek:
What is wrong with Gurgen?
Living in Suenik?

• 3Like
Reactions:
I learned a new word today.

"Whore".
This wins the month!

So happy to see another update. Come on, Gurgen! You've survived the dreaded consumption. Surely you can handle plague!

• 1Like
Reactions:
I would say something about growing up in a plague-ridden hellhole warping Gurgen's poor young mind... and then I remember he's growing up in Suenik, so that battle was already lost by default.

• 2Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
Clearly the only choice for Gurgen is to place his life in the hands of Patriarch Sevag. He's already saved one of the family and all those burnings just prove how holy he is.

If nothing else I hope Gurgen survives long enough to finish the statue, after the hat it needs an enormous cat added to it. After all if you are going to taunt and mock the impoverished peasantry of Suenik, then a vast gold plated lady stroking a cat would be perfect. I'm assuming the lady in the statue is not a Gardman-Aghbania because it would be quite hard to express 'scheming monstrous adulterous harpy' through the medium of sculpture.

• 3Like
Reactions:
He beat consumption! I almost thought that was the heralding of a prosperous future before I read the rest of the post and remembered “oh yeah, this is Suenik.”
I offer my sincerest ‘oh come on’ to Gurgen and his current predicament.
I'm sure he's very grateful. And yeah, this is what happens to me after all those great decades under Artashes...
Join the Navy and see the world. Visit Suenik and see the Underworld.
Amusingly, when I had my war with Mangyshlak, it turns out that the people bordering the Caspian Sea don't consider it...er...a sea. And therefore don't have any boats. The largest inland body of water in the world, and the morons of Suenik are like "Nope - no need to build any ships!"
This wins the month!
Thank ye kindly. I'll have to figure out what to do with an April.
I would say something about growing up in a plague-ridden hellhole warping Gurgen's poor young mind... and then I remember he's growing up in Suenik, so that battle was already lost by default.
Yeah - it's not a good time to be a growing lad in Suenik.
I'm assuming the lady in the statue is not a Gardman-Aghbania because it would be quite hard to express 'scheming monstrous adulterous harpy' through the medium of sculpture.
Well, they did pay the sculptor a LOT of money. And it's now covered in gold with a tower sticking out the top of it so that undoubtably broadcasts just how classy it truly is.

• 3Haha
Reactions:
CHAPTER 54 - WHAT'S A YERSHIG?
SUENIK RELOADED
CHAPTER 54 - WHAT'S A YERSHIG?
(1281 - 1283)

The pain I'm feeling is excruciating, and sleep does not come easily.

Finally though, I start to drop off...

...only to be woken by Patriarch Sevag running around my room, whacking a chamber pot with a wooden spoon and yelling in a language that isn't Armenian.

I fix him a stare which I hope conveys my extreme displeasure, to which he drops the pot and spoon, before rushing over to my bedside with a demented grin on his face.

He kneels and pinches both my cheeks, before ruffling my hair and guffawing.

I narrow my eyes and ask what is so funny.

"Great news, sire!" he screeches. "My prayers were heard! You don't have the plague!"

He leaps to his feet and makes jazz hands in my direction, before running in circles on the spot and making little whooping sounds.

I rub the back of my neck and allow myself a little smile.

First I beat consumption, now I avoid the plague.

It's like I'm untouchable.

I start to laugh, then to cry and, before I know it, my tears are coming in great, gasping sobs. Sevag suddenly stops his strange dance, rushes over to my side and holds a finger to my lips and shakes his head.

I put my arms around him and hug him tightly. He pats my back and whispers something in my ear...

1650652246264.png

I look at him incredulously, the tear burning on my cheeks.

Suddenly the pain under my arms is incredible - unbearable almost - and I cry out in agony.

Sensing the mood, he quickly explains his treatment plan.

1650652262034.png

My eyes narrow and I look him up and down...

1650652318151.png

Yes - I very much need a new physician. This clown has wasted too much of my time.

1650652329095.png

Unfortunately, as I wait for my new physician, the need for a second opinion becomes completely moot.

1650652345533.png

As I'm lying in my stinking bed chamber, slowly rotting away, a herald comes in bearing something that he assures me is good news. The timing, as always, is perfectly Suenikian.

1650652406326.png

Oh well, at least I'll have the swankiest burial any Suenikian monarch has ever had...

*THUD*

1650652437463.png

Wow - can someone open some windows in this place?

It smells like England in here.

Hi, I'm QUEEN Gadar - recently queen consort of England, and can I tell you this, when I heard I was going back to the motherland my first thought was "Brilliant - some decent weather" and my second thought was "No more hiding out in draughty, wet castles trying to avoid the plague."

And yet, I turn up to this shit show.

Urgh.

It's disgusting.

The first thing I do (other than screaming at all the ladies in waiting to assert my dominance) is to relocate to another part of a castle. Making a bedroom that was previously a teenage boy's your own is bad enough in the first place, but it's doubly bad when the little sod has basically died in an explosion of blood, pus and diarrhea!

I order everything in his room to be burnt and for the chambers to be repurposed as sleeping quarters for visiting English dignitaries.

Anyway, England...

Urgh.

That was a drag.

So, my idiot brother - may he rest in peace - marries me off to the King of that dank, wet little island. Being the mountain of fertility that I am, I pop out an heir in no time at all. Which was fortunate, because my pathetic, weak husband chose that moment to inconveniently DIE OF THE PLAGUE.

So my tiny, tiny daughter is now Queen of England, and I was resigned to an existence as some kind of pathetic old dowager - alone in my castle, wearing black, and trying to content myself with the awful excuses for food and drink they have over there. Seriously - never go there. The food is all stodgy and flavourless, and they don't have any wine. Apparently even grapes are put off by the climate.

Anyway, all of a sudden - BOOM! - I'm Queen of Suenik, and heading back home; but unfortunately, my daughter is also heir to MY throne.

Not happy about that.

I'm also not happy that I'm betrothed to some rando relative of my late husband. This means that top of Gadar's Big Old List of Things to Do (right next to "Not dying of the plague") is getting myself a proper husband. If I wait for this mewling brat to grow up I'll be a grey haired old crone by the time he comes of age.

Thankfully, China does an excellent job of reminding me where my next husband should come from.

1650652803158.png

It helps that Suenik has been a pathetic shilll for the Middle Kingdom for the past hundred years or so, because we've got grace to burn with the Emperor.

1650652813432.png

To celebrate the royal wedding, I send my steward forth to collect tribute from those peasants that are still alive. It's here that I get my first taste of Suenik in all its glory.

On one hand, the peasants love their new queen and eagerly pay the wedding tax...

1650652829248.png

...and on the other hand they've got some fairly colourful ideas about what is causing the plague.

No, it's not cats this time...

1650652845762.png

Unlike my predecessors who indulged this sort of nonsense I just ignore them. The bleating of the unwashed masses is not something a queen need heed.

Instead, I apply some SCIENCE to the problem, and try to fight this epidemic the best way I know how - by throwing cash at it.

1650652863875.png

Naturally, this peasants respond to this show of concern in the way that only peasants from Suenik can.

1650652895403.png

Ungrateful wretches.

I send my armies out to butcher them, and lock myself in the royal pantry to comfort eat until I am contented and numb. Armenian food is SOOOOO good. Damn, I've missed this...

After a few hours, there is a knock at the door and that skinny wretch that I married is standing there looking worried. He informs me - in his terrible, halting Armenian - that perhaps I shouldn't be eating so much.

1650652948604.png

I hurl a flat bread at him and slam the door in his face.

I'm queen! I'll eat what I want.

That evening I have a brace of pheasant for dinner and wash it down with a gallon of wine.

After a few weeks of this, I have some special gowns made for me. Now nobody can deny my royal presence as I sweep into rooms and take command of situations! I truly am a magnificent figure of womanhood!

1650653024324.png

That night in bed, Khagati tells me meekly that some of my ladies in waiting have been referring to me as "The Royal Battle Barge". I laugh loudly - cake crumbs spraying from my mouth all over the sheets as I do - and tell him I'll wear that as a badge of honour. I make a mental note to have a special sash made saying "ROYAL BATTLE BARGE" picked out in gold leaf.

A few weeks later Sevag - my Patriarch - comes bounding into the Royal Audience chamber. For some reason he's wearing a hat made of fruit. He tells me that he has a request for me, but that he can only tell me it in the form of a riddle. I sigh, roll my eyes, cram another slice of yershig into my mouth and hold up my hand for silence. With my other hand I grab my goblet of pomegranate wine and messily chug it down. As my serving boy faithful refills it, I wipe my mouth on the sleeve of my dress, jab the remains of my yershig in Sevag's direction and ask him if this is, perchance, a request for money.

1650653099011.png

He nods so hard I think his head is going to fall off. I flick my fingers towards the door and tell him that he can have his money, but that he should be gone as I'm busy. As he's leaving, he looks imploringly at the half-eaten sausage that I'm holding. Absentmindedly, I toss it in his direction and he leaps to catch it in his mouth like a dog going after a treat. Chuckling, I take another yershig from the basket next to me and carry on munching.

Time passes, and then some good news.

1650653124208.png

I order a celebration. The filthy rebels have been crushed by the might of Gadar the Magnificent! My council suggest that I should maybe hold fire on the banquet I've ordered, until rebel sentiment across the country has cooled. After all, they explain, inviting the nobility to a sumptuous feast whilst hundreds are dying in poverty is hardly a tactful move, and could be the spark that turns an otherwise volatile situation into a raging inferno.

1650653171107.png

I'm puzzled, and I point out that I haven't ordered any banquet. My steward speaks up and indicates that the royal kitchens have been working overtime, and that the Great Hall is filled with tables that are creaking under the weight of all the rich dishes that have been prepared.

I laugh, and point out that what he's seen isn't some lavish banquet for the great and the good of the land.

It's lunch.

For me.

What a silly sausage he is.

Mmm.

Sausage...

I hope they have prepared more yershig.

After a couple of hours feasting, I summon my husband to the royal bed chambers and indulge in my second favourite hobby.

1650653212044.png

Inheritance problem?

Pah.

Nailed it.

Will the inheritance problem be solved? Will Gadar eat Suenik into a famine? Are the peasants still angry? Find out on the next exciting episode of Suenik Reloaded!

• 3Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Sensing the mood, he quickly explains his treatment plan.

1650652262034.png
A cruel treatment if applied to readers of this AAR ;)
As I'm lying in my stinking bed chamber, slowly rotting away, a herald comes in bearing something that he assures me is good news. The timing, as always, is perfectly Suenikian.

1650652406326.png

Oh well, at least I'll have the swankiest burial any Suenikian monarch has ever had...

*THUD*
Oh Suenik, ‘tis of Thee! :D
I laugh, and point out that what he's seen isn't some lavish banquet for the great and the good of the land.

It's lunch.

For me.
What a prat she is. She’ll make a fine Queen of Suenik (if neither plague or her imitation of Mr Creosote kills her too soon).

ps: Gurgen earned a suitably unkind epitaph given he hadn’t even reached adulthood yet! Imagine if he’d been given a few years to really get going!

• 2Like
Reactions:
Disappointed to see Gurgen die, he had such potential.

Gadar on the otherhand is an actually nasty monarch which is unsual for Suenik. Normally one can at least have a degree of sympathy for them and even the crueler ones had style, sometime the place has even had a good one (I still miss Artashes, he was a GOOD MAN!). But Gadar is just a miserable, ignorant, gluttonous bully. I'd hope she would succumb quickly to the endless rounds of plague, consumption, invasion, cats and other horrors that curse the land, but this being Suenik she will probably have a long reign just to spite everyone.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Oh dear, the Black Death came calling a little early. A shame to lose a character like that but it will be interesting to see where the Queen takes the story!

Reactions:
Unlike others, I rather enjoy the new Queen. Gadar the Battle Barge will surely win them all.

However, interesting that there may soon be a union between Suenik and England. Wonder how that will turn out.

• 1Like
Reactions:
there's hasn't been a single uninteresting monarch! I'm waiting to see if the succession problem will indeed be solved

• 1Like
Reactions:
I'd say your consumption is conspicuous... if it weren't for the fact that the thing being consumed is you.

So I'd guess you're about due for a drooling idiot who will rule for a hundred years. Or is that just in EU?

• 1Like
Reactions:
Oh Suenik, ‘tis of Thee! :D
That whole update was pretty "Suenik, 'tis of Thee" to be honest!
I like to imagine Bagour has been writing the cruel epitaphs while no one else is looking.
It certainly feels like it.

*lives life like a saint*

EPITAPH: "Was a filthy hellspawn who is receiving his just reward in a pit of sulpher tended by deputy-under-demon Spainel-lodger".
But Gadar is just a miserable, ignorant, gluttonous bully. I'd hope she would succumb quickly to the endless rounds of plague, consumption, invasion, cats and other horrors that curse the land, but this being Suenik she will probably have a long reign just to spite everyone.
It's fair to say that her reign is going to prove "interesting".
And yes, she's horrid.
it will be interesting to see where the Queen takes the story!
See above - this is going to be a bit of a rollercoaster. Or whatever they have instead of rollercoasters in Suenik. Probably just cliffs they push people off.
Unlike others, I rather enjoy the new Queen. Gadar the Battle Barge will surely win them all.
Wellllllll...
However, interesting that there may soon be a union between Suenik and England. Wonder how that will turn out.
Gadar is intent that this is not happening!
there's hasn't been a single uninteresting monarch! I'm waiting to see if the succession problem will indeed be solved
See above. And I'm glad you've enjoyed them all!
So I'd guess you're about due for a drooling idiot who will rule for a hundred years. Or is that just in EU?
CK has a fine habit of handing you inept idiots that seem to have the constitution of a T-800.

• 1Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
CHAPTER 55 - CAN YOU LOT KEEP IT DOWN OUT THERE?
SUENIK RELOADED
CHAPTER 55 - CAN YOU LOT KEEP IT DOWN OUT THERE?
(1283 - 1286)

Now that I'm pregnant I can take my mind off the day to day, omnipresent problems that are inherent in running Suenik.

1651174795041.png

I tell my skinny little husband that he's in charge for the duration. The kingdom can wait - I've got more important things on my mind.

One of my ladies in waiting - a simpering girl by the name of Yeva - nods furiously in agreement, and opines that men have no idea of the magical sensations that come with pregnancy. She also adds - with the self-confidence that only truly comes when one is wilfully ignorant of a subject - that I will need all my energy to focus on positive thoughts that will help the baby grow and thrive.

I laugh harshly and throatily, before asking Yeva if she's ever experienced the "magic" of childbirth herself. She shakes her head, and states proudly and wistfully that she is yet to be "blessed". Smirking, I point out that the only sensations that are in any way magical in the whole uniquely painful and dangerous process of childbirth come right near the beginning, and any thoughts I'll be channeling will be along the lines of "PLEASE LET IT BE A BOY PLEASE LET IT BE A BOY PLEASE LET IT BE A BOY..."

When I see how crestfallen she is, I put my arm around her and offer this blushing maid some of my assuredly valuable insights into the whole messy, dangerous business of childbirth. After a few uses of words such as "tear" and "split" she remembers some other pressing duties that she has to attend.

Bless her soul.

A few months later, I get world that some wonderful, proactive souls are refusing to let the small matter of the plague get in the way of them running a profitable business. Naturally, this is Suenik, so it goes without saying that said business is almost entirely detrimental to me.

1651174989718.png

I dispatch my marshal - a handsome, dark-eyed devil known as "the wolf" - after the vagabonds, and a few weeks later he sweeps into the throne room - cloak billowing voluminously behind him - before dropping to one knee in front of me, bowing his head and proffering a large, wooden box.

"A humble gift, for my magnificent queen" he whispers in his low, gravelly voice.

1651175063646.png

I clap my hands excitedly like a giddy maiden before holding the rotten, stinking head up for all to see. There's a fluttering of applause, and I throw the head to Skinny. He yelps, as some fluid splashes him in the face, but I ignore this and tell him that, as regent, the duty falls to him to ensure that this wondrous trophy is given pride of place on a spike over the gate.

I turn back to Baron Kubasar, lean forward as far as my vast, unstable bulk allows, and whisper "And how shall your queen reward you?"

I flutter my eyelashes in what I assume is a beguiling manner, but before I can speak my chancellor bursts into the throne room, with a panicked look on his stupid, ruddy face and he starts shrieking out grim tidings in his high-pitched, irritating voice.

1651175123367.png

Without so much as a word from me, the Wolf gets to his feet, takes my hand in his, kisses it and growls "Your will be done, my queen".

Before I can simper a reply, he throws his scarlet cloak over one shoulder, and strides manfully from the throne room yelling "PREPARE MY MEN! SADDLE THE HORSES! WE RIDE AT DAWN."

I look sideways at Skinny - who is still staring in horror at the rotting head in his hands - and hiss "Learn!"

I spend the next few days eagerly awaiting the Wolf's return, and hoping for another one of his thoughtful, unconventional and slightly gory presents, when I get news that the local peasantry are still up in arms that I wouldn't approve their "Burn-a-Jew-to-Prevent-the-Plague" scheme.

1651175258240.png

I shovel down another handful of oily eggplant stew before summoning my chancellor and dictating a pointedly worded massive that I order to be distributed throughout the kingdom which basically states "I'm the bloody queen, so kindly stop thinking that you filthy, unwashed, goat-bothering peasants know any better.

A few months later - presumably after someone has translated it for the stupid, thickheaded serfs who can't read - I find out that my new hardline stance has not exactly gone down a a treat.

1651175322212.png

Fuck.

I petulantly waddle off to angrily give birth.

I also invite Yeva along "for the experience".

The poor girl goes very pale after a couple of hours, and faints dead away half way through the eighth hour.

Turns out, after twenty hours of pushing, wailing, screaming and tearing, I only end up with another wretched, mewling daughter.

1651175355210.png
1651175473419.png

It's at this time - when I'm lying on my back exhausted, bloody, disappointed and sore - that Skinny decides to come begging for cash to fund a new hobby that he's become obsessed with.

1651175409276.png

I buy him an unclean and hateful looking buzzard called "Claw", whose penetrating, soulless eyes seem to covet Skinny's very soul. He runs off to try and train his new bird, and the terrifying, humiliating screams I hear from the castle's courtyard make me feel like the few ducats I spent on Claw were a good investment.

Sadly though, ducats are not something I have to spare these days, as it seems that the devastation caused by the plague has closed down that sweet, sweet gold pipeline that I believe others call The Silk Road.

1651175440022.png

My stormy mood is somewhat brightened by news that The Wolf has brought one group of rebels to heel.

1651175449886.png

He's such a staunch, stalwart leader, that I decide to throw the weight of my substantial patronage behind him to boost the morale of our hard-working troops.

1651175460651.png

Ballads are composed, songs are sung, and tankards are raised. Onwards sons of Suenik - to victory!

Sadly, this message doesn't go down too well in all quarters.

1651175520720.png

I order my marshal to take care of this rag tag band of rebels...and it's then that I realise that my heralds need some education on quantifying exactly what "more" means.

1651175535929.png

Off the back of putting down the other peasant revolts, my forces are scattered.

This being Suenik means that, naturally, the last event is merely the first shit-covered domino to fall in a succession of many...

1651175580559.png

Great.

People are running around screaming, and before long my Chinese honour guard usher me and my family to a covered wagon and explain that it's for our own safety. When I ask them what they mean - after all, that's my palace over there and I feel pretty bloody safe in it! - they adopt a very no-nonsense tone and tell me that someone will explain on the way.

The way?

The way to where?

Why are we leaving?

Why is there so much smoke on the horizon?

1651175601396.png

This is preposterous! Why is this happening? I demand answers! I sent the Wolf and his best men out after the rebels! Why have they failed me? Why are they so many bloody rebels? I want to know what is going on!

A few days later, I get them, as a delegation of someone calling himself the "Satrap of Suenik" comes to me to accept my terms.

1651175677557.png

Terms? What terms? I didn't agree to any terms! Before I can haul my massive, bloated body from my chair and start jabbing my podgy paws in the direction of this "Satrap" whilst hurling expletives, my advisors whisper to me that seeing as I don't have any forces to speak of any more, I should accept what they're proposing and count my blessings.

Furiously, and with a shaking hand, I sign their treaty.

The Satrap smiles a blackened, toothy grin and explains that he hopes that we can still be friends, and apologises for any confusion that may arise, as his satrapy will be using the same coat of arms as my - and here he uses air quotes - "kingdom". I flush furiously, but he laughs, waves a hand in my direction, says "We'll be back for that soon enough", before winking at me and striding from the room.

1651175866503.png

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGH!

I go to what I hope are my temporary accommodations and get very, VERY drunk. Skinny takes this as an excuse to try and plant an heir in me, which is nice of him considering the circumstances.

1651175896720.png

With my kingdom in ruins - through no fault of my own I might add - I settle down (albeit with a raging hangover) to decide what to do next.

With the war over, I can rebuild my forces now that there's no external threats to worry about and then plan our counter attack.

I notice as I say this that my advisors are all looking a bit sheepish - especially when I mentioned there were no threats to worry about. Not in the mood for any of their coy shit, I ask them to spit it out.

1651175928411.png

Oh great - they're still mad about me not behaving like a mental despot and burning down the synagogues, aren't they?

Will the peasants continue to revolt? How will Suenik rebuild? Will the Satrap continue to expand? Find out on the next exciting episode of Suenik Reloaded.

Attachments

• 1651175035362.png
    1651175035362.png
    263,1 KB · Views: 0
  • 1651175665929.png
    1651175665929.png
    762,8 KB · Views: 0
  • 1651175823078.png
    1651175823078.png
    1,3 MB · Views: 0
  • 3Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Before I can simper a reply, he throws his scarlet cloak over one shoulder, and strides manfully from the throne room yelling "PREPARE MY MEN! SADDLE THE HORSES! WE RIDE AT DAWN."
GOOD MAN!

Terms? What terms? I didn't agree to any terms! Before I can haul my massive, bloated body from my chair and start jabbing my podgy paws in the direction of this "Satrap" whilst hurling expletives, my advisors whisper to me that seeing as I don't have any forces to speak of any more, I should accept what they're proposing and count my blessings.
Also a new antagonist enters the play

Day to day operations are going horribly, so it's another normal day in Suenik!

• 2Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
I order my marshal to take care of this rag tag band of rebels...and it's then that I realise that my heralds need some education on quantifying exactly what "more" means.
Um. Bugger. :oops:
This is preposterous! Why is this happening? I demand answers! I sent the Wolf and his best men out after the rebels! Why have they failed me? Why are they so many bloody rebels? I want to know what is going on!
That’s a huge trifecta of rolling rebellions.
GOOD MAN!
:D

• 3Like
Reactions:
Well. That all went okay, yes? Could have been worse, could have been worse... Of course if it had been worse we'd have been spared having to deal with this mess, but, really, one can't complain. I mean, if the marshal would just kindly move his sword off my throat, I could, but... heh...

Still, quite correct not to give in to the mass-synagogue-razing proposal. Have to keep something in reserve eh?

Now if you could just remove that sw... In your own time, in your own time, no hurry no worry, right?

• 2Haha
Reactions: