• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
This is more like the Suenik we've come to know and... know. Diplomatic ineptide, Consumption, treacherous courtiers and lust filled wenches hurling themselves at the King. As coz says it just needed more cats and a Toros (horse or boy, either would do) and the set would be complete.

The penny drops...

Of course...

This is Suenik...
This dialogue could apply to pretty much anything that happens in the Kingdom, it could serve as the backup national motto after "Oh. Come. On."

• 2Like
Reactions:
I want to build a legacy that will last the test of time. A firm foundation for future generations that will see the kingdom of Suenik become a respected and serious player in the region. I want my people to be healthy, wealthy and safe.
That's like a line from a Marx brothers movie, only without the payoff in the next line.
In contrast King Grigor being declared the Just is absolutely tempting fate
I am forced to ask, King Grigor the just... just what? Just so? Just barely? Just about dead, seems to be the gist of it.

• 2Haha
Reactions:
Hi @iain_a_wilson , just letting you know I’ve been doing a massive catch-up. Distracted by writing up my own AARs and lots of RL, including my club cricket finals, which we won for the first time since the club was founded 11 seasons ago, apartment buying for our son, doom scrolling about Ukraine, etc etc.

And I resume reading this great piece, to find you have indeed very busy, with a wealth of humorous and witty repartee, including a long and glorious Royal career (GOOD MAN! <slaps back>) - with a suitably horrendous Suenikian end and aftermath.

I left too much to comment on in detail and still catch up, but will try to when back up to date again. Just a few quick milestones:

1645737936352.png
Outgoing and incoming descriptions - quintessential Suenik! :D
The Lord truly shat on your eiderdown; thrice and more; and still seems to be stepping quickly from foot to foot and sweating. :eek::p

I’m now just up to here, but haven’t read the chapter yet:
Hello everyone - Bagour here; regent of Suenik.
Oh, really? And how long do you expect that too last? And what catalogue of Suenikian (predates and exceeds Kafkaesque) bastardry and misery will play out before a suitably horrid end befalls you, Mr Regent Bag-man? <Divine butt-cheeks quiver>

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
Bag guy tried to get one more shot at killing Grigor I see.
I do love the rivalry mechanic - some of the NPCs seem truly petty.
Perhaps he was trying to catch a new cat to butcher and barbecue with that lizard. Should have let him do his work.
Sometimes you get physicians that are truly inept, and Sevag is an absolute "joy" to watch at work. The little descriptions of what they consider to be viable treatments are very amusing :)
This is more like the Suenik we've come to know and... know.
Playing this country is a bit like that old game in the Japanese gameshow Takeshi's castle where the constants run full pelt down a hill and there are three doors in front of them. Two are paper and you'll be able to bust right through it, whereas the final one is wood. In Suenik, imagine colliding with that one over and over again but, instead of being eliminated you have to get back onto your feet and try your luck with the next set of doors. Forever. Or until you get a non-dynastic ruler.
Diplomatic ineptide, Consumption, treacherous courtiers and lust filled wenches hurling themselves at the King. As coz says it just needed more cats and a Toros (horse or boy, either would do) and the set would be complete.
No more Tori (?) in sight yet, but I can promise that later updates will be full of the others.
This dialogue could apply to pretty much anything that happens in the Kingdom, it could serve as the backup national motto after "Oh. Come. On."
It sounds cool when King Leonides says "This is Sparta" but "This is Suenik" is more the sort of thing you say before chucking yourself off a high building.
That's like a line from a Marx brothers movie, only without the payoff in the next line.
There's very little payoff with Suenik other than more misery.
I am forced to ask, King Grigor the just... just what? Just so? Just barely? Just about dead, seems to be the gist of it.
Stay tuned...
Hi @iain_a_wilson , just letting you know I’ve been doing a massive catch-up.
That's great! Shame on you for liking cricket though... ;)

Apologies for the delayed responses - work has been SUPER busy, so I've had to slow down my normally breakneck pace. Normal service will resume shortly.

• 2Like
Reactions:
CHAPTER 52 - MANGYSHLAK! ER...BLESS YOU?
SUENIK RELOADED
CHAPTER 52 - MANGYSHLAK! ER...BLESS YOU?
(1273-1275)

Urgh.

I feel awful.

Sevag assures me he can help with this, and that he has an "Ancient Greek cure all" that he's going to try. Apparently it worked wonders back in Artashes' day, and I'll be back to my old self in no time at all. His enthusiastic - almost demented - grin does nothing to convince me there's any veracity to his overwhelming confidence.

*cough*

I'm even less convinced when he places a bag that appears to be wriggling down onto the table and whacks it with a heavy-duty mason's hammer.

The wet splattering sound it makes turns my stomach and necessitates a dash to the privy to throw up, but achieves precious little else.

1648153022322.png

Two hours of being basted in toad-juice later, and I'm interrupted in the business of drying myself off by a rather excited chancellor who claims that he's found a musty old document that proves Suenik's true dominion over some random horse lord's land to our east.

1648153042641.png

I thank him for this, and order the necessary preparations.

*cough*

1648153051866.png

Now, I know what you are thinking? Why am I acting like this? After all, aren't I meant to be busying myself with improving the lot of the realm, and not squandering lives on frivolous foreign adventures?

*cough*

I promised that many years ago, didn't i?

Bear with me - there's some logic at work here. You see - everyone in the kingdom is terribly, terribly, TERRIBLY down in the dumps, what with the annual visit of our good ol' friend Consumption, so I need something to distract the masses from the piles of bodies being burnt in the streets. Therefore, what better way to draw their attention than by a good ol' foreign war. That way, we can even get a load of them out of the country whilst consumption runs its course.

That way, it'll stop them getting nonsensical ideas into their heads that result in them burning down churches because of cat-related heresy or some other such idiocy.

Plus, it's suitable payback for all those times I've been raided by the horse people.

What?

Stop looking at me like that...

*cough*

I'm on my way back to the bed chambers to lie down after all the excitement of launching my first invasion, when I catch sight of my beautiful, amazing and wonderful wife, and it's at that point that I realise that I've forgotten something. I thrust a finger into the air, wave sheepishly at her and scurry back to my commanders.

1648153208966.png

Very soon, a mighty host is raised. I don't feel the need to call on my vassals just yet, and before we know it, the men are off to Mangyshlak (with a brief stop over to butcher some of the interminable raiders that plague my lands on the way - you know what they say about practice).

1648153250798.png

I, however, am not going with them. "Mangyshlak" pretty much sounds like the noise I'm making every time I stop to cough - which is every few minutes these days.

*cough*

As I'm waiting to receive word of the crushing victory my forces have inflicted on the Khan of Mangyshlak, I get some good news - the statue that I commissioned has now finally finished.

1648153291576.png

However, this creates a dilemma for me.

*cough*

Who do I name it after? On one hand, I commissioned it after my first wife - who was perfect, angelic and fabulous - but, on the other hand, my second wife is also wonderful, demure and incredible. The good news is, Suenikian craftsman are so shoddy that it'll bear enough of likeness to whomever I eventually decide to name it after. At the moment, "generic female ruler statue" will have to do.

*cough*

Elsewhere, it appears that the good people of Novogorod may soon be having some rather irate visitors.

1648153359063.png

Honestly, these folks need to learn the value of a good, royal marriage!

Months pass, and my forces finally arrive in the lands of our lifelong ancestral foes the Mangyshlak...er...ians and win a victory that will be sung of for centuries to come.

1648153377501.png

I don't let the fact that some wits are referring to the "Light skirmish of Buzachi" put me off.

A win's a win, right?

*cough cough*

Eventually though, these hawks get their way, and my army makes contact with the main *cough cough cough* Mangyshlakian force.

1648153420546.png

With odds like that this will be over in no time (although I make a mental note to have words with my commanders about the five thousand or so men that appear to have sloped off between the campaign being launched and this battle).

1648153463609.png

Ah - yes.

This is Suenik.

Of course the Khan of the Mangyshlakians and his two sons are built like complete beasts and are capable of defeating my armies single handedly, whilst all my good generals are locked up in their castles hiding from consumption.

*cough cough*

The battle report makes for particularly interesting reading. Despite the slaughter of Suenik's finest, I'm utterly fascinated by the lone peasant spearman who enthusiastically joined the Mangyshlakian host on their march to war and end up dying for the cause.

1648153548473.png

Right. Forces in full retreat. Time to call up the vassals and see if we can salvage this.

*cough cough cough*

Oddly enough, after reading the battle report, I see all my councillors standing around, almost as if they are listening for something.

I ask them what they are waiting for, but when I hear the pathetic death rattle from down the corridor I immediately get it.

1648153565854.png

That's right - they were waiting for the NEXT bit of bad news to hit...

This is Suenik and all that jazz...

*cough cough cough cough*

I rush to my wife's bedside, yelling for Sevag and praying to the Almighty for salvation. Showing devotion like I've never done before, I beg for a sign from Above that everything is going to be ok.

1648153590520.png

OH COME ON!

*cough cough cough*

That has to be a coincidence, right?

*cough*

Sevag punched me on the arm, mutters something about "best of three" and winks but I ignore him. Why is this happening? I have tried to be pious all of my life - I've given to charity, I've improved the lot of the unfortunate and I've earnestly tried to put the good of the kingdom above that of everyone else. Surely in this, my hour of need, all that good work should bear fruit?

As I'm contemplating this, Duke Vahan chooses to pass away to Consumption in a manner that, given my current mood, kind of feels like he's showing off...

1648153666376.png

Given that his father received the same honour, I'm beginning to wonder whether the Duchy of Agbhania might be contributing to the Patriarch's Caspian Sea holiday retreat that's currently being built.

*cough cough*

Sulkily I return to the bed chambers where my wife, it turns out, isn't quite as bed ridden as Sevag suggested.

1648153756040.png

A few weeks later and it's my daughter's birthday. It appears that she has chosen to follow that path in life favoured by all Suenikian women.

1648153767216.png

As a birthday gift, my vassals finally get their act together and start conquering the lands of the Mangyshakians.

1648153774604.png

It turns out, it's pretty easy as long as their armies aren't around. At least this little distraction gives my main force time to "tactically regroup" (or, to put it another way, "stop running in fear").

Still, this is Suenik, and for every tiny victory, there is a great, big punch in the cock waiting in the wings.

1648153836288.png

Thanks Reinhard. Just when all my armies are away you decided to make the consumption-ridden and extremely unhappy peasants even unhappier to the point where they're ready to rise up and burn the whole place to the ground...

*cough cough cough*

Thankfully, the peasants' hearts simply aren't in it, and no revolt ever surfaces.

Months pass, battles are won, bodies are burned, but finally I get some truly joyous news.

1648153883729.png

This is fantastic.

*cough*

Not as fantastic as, say, consumption vanishing from the realm and never coming back...

*cough cough*

...but pretty fantastic none the less. I am very happy.

*cough cough cough*

Once myself an Bulughan are better we'll have a proper celebration.

*cough cough cough cough*

We're both pretty under the weather right now...

*cough cough cough cough cough*

But once this is passed, we'll have the biggest party the realm has ever seen! We'll properly celebrate Gadar's birthday...

*cough cough cough cough cough cough*

...we'll laurel the heroes of Mangyshlak, and we'll do it all in the shadow of the statue of generic female ruler that I'll boldly name after Bulughan.

*cough cough cough cough cough cough cough*

It'll be amazing. I'll stop worrying about my piety, and I'll simply give thanks for the good life I have right now, and all the joy it brings me. Because, consumption aside, life is pretty g...

*cough cough cough cough cough cough cough cough*

ACK.

*THUD*

1648153938099.png

How will King Gurgen fare? Will he have a raving psychopath determined to ruin the kingdom as his regent? Will Consumption ever get bored of killing Suenikian monarchs? Find out on the next exciting episode of Suenik Reloaded!

• 5Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
I did the Mangeyshlack one time in 1984 and I'll never do it again. But it was a big hit for its day.

Indeed, this is Suenik. Wouldn't be right without the consumption.

• 2Haha
  • 1Like
Reactions:
...Did Bag guy Bagour write that obituary? The death screen's line about "wicked deeds" seems so out of place with everything about Grigor. Here is hoping King Gurgen outlives his Consumption. He should probably pass an edict forbidding monarchs from cleaning roofs just to be safe.

Reactions:
Just wanted to drop a quick line letting you know that I've been working through this again over my free time, and it's just as funny and enjoyable as I remember it :) Hopefully I should get caught back up soon!

• 1Like
Reactions:
More catch up:
To quote a wise man, Oh! Come! On!
Wise words (given they indicate powerless frustration at the vagaries of life one can only despair about with futile impotence). Suenik, tis for thee! :D
None the less, I celebrate this turn of events in the only way I know how.
That was an excellent running gag for the Bag-man.
Oh, COME ON! :mad:
Phew. Still, in Suenik hope comes before a fall into a razor encrusted bath tub. Or something.
I bid Bagour farewell and, just to be on the safe side, I remove him as spymaster
GOOD MAN!
I only have eyes for my new wife, Checheyigen.
This may be so, but her opinion of Grigor seems rather, well, dangerously negative.
OH COME ON! Are we looking at another "mayfly" king? Does Checheyigen really have the best interests of the realm at hand? Will all Grigor's hard work and struggles be for naught?
Let’s hope love can blossom before she comes in to comfort his pneumonia with the novel Mongol treatment of a pillow over the face.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Gurgen is probably Armenian for 'Dead Man Walking'. Four female pretenders, all with the middle name deceit. Suenik is watching 'Groundhog Day'. Every day begins with a new dawn, and by noon all is sunny, but by nightfall doom and despair again ride undefeated.

• 1Haha
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Months pass, and my forces finally arrive in the lands of our lifelong ancestral foes the Mangyshlak...er...ians and win a victory that will be sung of for centuries to come.
If some funny business didn't happen to them, there's supposed to be one of the few provinces that Turkomans/Turks live, I wonder how will their interactions be :D

I have tried to be pious all of my life - I've given to charity, I've improved the lot of the unfortunate and I've earnestly tried to put the good of the kingdom above that of everyone else. Surely in this, my hour of need, all that good work should bear fruit?
He apparently didn't read enough Suenik history :/

oof it's been coming since quite some time, another boy king :(

How will King Gurgen fare? Will he have a raving psychopath determined to ruin the kingdom as his regent? Will Consumption ever get bored of killing Suenikian monarchs? Find out on the next exciting episode of Suenik Reloaded!
Is Gurgen one of the good heirs? I wouldn't mind if he is consumed as well and throne goes to the eldest daughter who was a genius and is older so regency is shorter. One of the first order of business should be to bethroth the sisters matrilineally to suitable ppl so ifwhen Gurgen dies the next ruler to play isn't married to some idiot

• 1Like
Reactions:
In a typical Suenik moment, the lone MangyDog spearman who lost his life was a zombie. Faced one, killed one, one survived to face Suenik on another day.
I didn’t notice the inexplicable simultaneous death and survival. Though I suppose it only says casualties, which could mean he was simply horribly injured. Though your zombie spearman idea is much more fun :D

Zombie spearman shall travel to Suenik for brains and vengeance…and then promptly turn back home on arrival since Suenik lacks the former and there in nothing he can do for the latter that is worse than living in Suenik.

• 2Haha
Reactions:
That does seem quite a cruel epitaph for Grigor, though perhaps we are not considering this from an Suenik perspective. He let others do his fighting for him, both of his wives were loyal, intelligent and helpful (not self destructive scheming monsters like a proper Gardman-Aghbanias), he had no strong views on cats. Perhaps he was in fact wicked?

Reactions:
Finally completed the catch up! Great work as always.

BAH! I'm already married to the vision of perfection. A loyal, beautiful, smart and kind woman - what need have I for wenches? I ignore the lustful harlot.
This is NOT Artashes! Instead, a Good Man.
That's great! Shame on you for liking cricket though... ;)
Hah - can’t get enough of it. ;)
yelling for Sevag and praying to the Almighty for salvation.
These two are mutually exclusive concepts. :D
OH COME ON!
Quite.
Because, consumption aside, life is pretty g...

*cough cough cough cough cough cough cough cough*

ACK.

*THUD*
Suenik overcomes All.
Did Bag guy Bagour write that obituary? The death screen's line about "wicked deeds" seems so out of place with everything about Grigor.
Agree. It did seem rather unfair. Very Suenikian. ;)

• 2Like
Reactions:
I did the Mangeyshlack one time in 1984 and I'll never do it again. But it was a big hit for its day.
That's one thing you don't really see any more, and that's those novelty dance songs that used to spring up all the time.

Unless you're not talking about dancing and you're actually talking about drugs.
Wouldn't be right without the consumption.
Choice of champions.
Did Bag guy Bagour write that obituary? The death screen's line about "wicked deeds" seems so out of place with everything about Grigor.
CKII always surprises me with these. What you see me writing is how I play the character in the game (IE I always base it off virtues, vices etc) and yet sometimes you get these "Man, he was an utter bastard and we all hope the demons fry his scrotum in the afterlife" which cause me to think "But I constantly gave indulgences, built hospitals and didn't declare war once..."
Just wanted to drop a quick line letting you know that I've been working through this again over my free time, and it's just as funny and enjoyable as I remember it
Thank you very much for letting me know - you're very welcome back here!
That was an excellent running gag for the Bag-man.
I do like a running gag (as you probably noticed). So too does CKII apparently.
Gurgen is probably Armenian for 'Dead Man Walking'. Four female pretenders, all with the middle name deceit.
In fairness, that's ALL Suenikian women...
Is Gurgen one of the good heirs? I wouldn't mind if he is consumed as well and throne goes to the eldest daughter who was a genius and is older so regency is shorter.
You are cold, man.

Cold.
I didn’t notice the inexplicable simultaneous death and survival. Though I suppose it only says casualties, which could mean he was simply horribly injured. Though your zombie spearman idea is much more fun
That did make me chuckle. CKII's engine is a continual source of amusement.
both of his wives were loyal, intelligent and helpful (not self destructive scheming monsters like a proper Gardman-Aghbanias)
Wait for the current update, because you forgot to include "adulterous harpies" in there...
Finally completed the catch up! Great work as always.
Thank you kindly, good sir.
And finally caught up. Just as lurid and darkly amusing as I remember it being back in the day
And thank you kindly too!

Apologies for the delay in getting an update here - work has been suuuuuuper busy.

However, I'm back and the next update beckons....

• 1Like
Reactions:
CHAPTER 53 - THAT'S WEIRD
SUENIK RELOADED
CHAPTER 53 - THAT'S WEIRD
(1275-1280)

1649884669604.png

Hi everyone. My name is King Gurgen and all the grown ups tell me that now I'm in charge because my dad has passed away.

Apparently he wasn't very well.

Which worries me, because I'M not very well either.

Something called consumption.

Every time I ask what it is, the grown ups just cross themselves, make excuses and leave.

*cough*

Anyway, I've recently had a bunch of grown ups - my council apparently - telling me that I'm an amazing conqueror as my astute leadership has led us to victory over the heathen Mangyshlakers.

1649884704863.png

I don't know what a mangy shlaker is (some kind of sick dog maybe?) but the grown ups seem awful pleased with me.

Less pleased is someone called Marshal who seems really irate that "so many brave men had to give their lives" for what he's calling "that dead fool's vanity project".

1649884747172.png

I'm not sure what he's talking about or why he keeps yelling "fifteen thousand souls" and reaching up at an uncaring sky, but here we are.

*cough cough*

Anyway, I try and think of something kingly to do.

Apparently there's a big statue of a lady somewhere outside of the capital. I ask the grown ups if I'm rich, and lots of them are like "oh yes of course you are my little lord".

This makes me happy, so I order them to cover the lady statue in gold.

1649884776412.png

There are a few shocked looks but I tell them I'm the king and just to get on with it. Marshal screams something about "wasting money" and how it could have gone to "honouring the fifteen thousand noble dead" but I ignore him.

Apparently madness is quite common amongst my relatives.

What ISN'T common, is this.

1649884797277.png

Some of the grown ups are acting shocked - apparently I'm the first ever king of Suenik to do this.

Some seem disappointed too, which is strange.

One of those is my sister.

To cheer her up, I arrange a nice marriage for her to a cool knight guy.

1649884822806.png

It actually turns out that he's an extra cool knight guy, because to celebrate the wedding I'm given more money!

1649884839767.png

I plan some further statue related maintenance.

However, before I can put my plans into action there's a huge commotion in the castle. Grown ups are shrieking, and screaming and the phrase "BAR THE GATES! BAR THE GATES!" is spat out over and over again.

I ask Marshal what the fuss is about and he looks at me like I'm an idiot.

1649884869336.png

I'm not an idiot, I'm a child.

There's a difference.

He ruffles my hair, laughs and walks off.

Amidst this chaos, there is a messenger from a foreign court who slyly enquires if I'd like to marry off my mum to his king.

1649884924320.png

Certainly not! She's my mother! She's a pure and chaste soul - someone I can depend upon and trust, and who loyally stood by my father until he sadly passed away. She's a reminder, that even when everything else is going wrong, and all the other grown ups are losing their minds, that there is someone I can look up to as an example of how to behave properly.

1649884958856.png

I learned a new word today.

"Whore".

Apparently my mother is one of them - whatever that is.

I also heard other words thrown around like "disloyal", "cheating" and "skank".

Must be sure to ask Uncle Kaiserios what those mean next time he's around.

The following months trundle by REALLY slowly. It's amazing how BORING it is being cooped up with a stupid old plague outside.

Thankfully I've got some top notch advisors who are working tirelessly to sort things out.

1649885001399.png

Sevag's a man of God - he knows what he is doing. I tell him to go ahead.

Sadly, when the ash clears and the screaming stops, the plague still seems to be around.

Sevag assures me that "these things take time".

He also rubs his hands together gleefully and walks off cackling.

Must be a priestly thing.

I keep myself amused by ordering a hat to be built on the statue of the gold lady.

1649885062527.png

Some time passes and I'm on the verge of demanding that Sevag burn some more witches, as the last inferno hasn't seemed to sort anything out, when suddenly I'm aware of a horrible stench in the castle.

Or rather, more horrible that usual - our capital doesn't really smell nice at the best of times.

1649885082884.png

Disgusted, I order the guards to indulge in some target practice - that will learn the dirty ingrates down below!

As it turns out, the actions of my archers certainly got their attention.

1649885101867.png

Never mind, I'm sure that we can...what's that noise?

1649885116049.png

As this is going on there is a shriek and Marshal marches in and announces that my previous regent has met with an unfortunate accident and therefore, in this time of war, he will be taking over for the "duration of the emergency".

1649885139515.png

He's got a cool nickname so of course I agree.

Not that I have any choice in the matter, and I still think Marshal is kind of sneaky.

With the gentle background hum of the peasantry being slaughtered, I receive more proof of Sevag's bone-fide miracle worker credentials.

1649885198113.png

I invite him to fire up the old pyres and treat himself to a good old burning.

He's earned it.

Meanwhile, mother seems to be getting on everyone's nerves again.

1649885211862.png

I have since learned what all those interesting words used about her meant, so when another suitor comes a-calling mother dearest is packing her bags for Horse Land.

1649885238742.png

I also find myself a sister short in what can only be described as the most brutally disgusting way to go.

1649885248675.png

Sevag, in a rare moment of clarity, pleads with me not to view the body. The term "sanity blasting" is used.

This death leaves a lot of people worried. They're concerned that the plague may be spreading within the castle itself.

I'm not worried though.

I've got the constitution of an ox.

I beat consumption!

The first king in Suenik's history to do so, and soon I'll be old enough to sit on the throne...no, maybe that's not the most tasteful metaphor...

Soon, I will be old enough to rule alone, and I'll have bards sing songs of my glorious constitution all across the land.

That will settle everyone down.

It will be amazing.

Not long to go now.

Urgh.

I'm not one to believe in jinxes...but....

1649885369231.png

What is wrong with Gurgen? What of the hat on the statue? Will the rebels be crushed? Find out on the next exciting episode of Suenik Reloaded!

• 2Like
  • 2Love
Reactions:
One last thing (check me out being all Columbo)....

If you haven't already done so, please go and vote on the ACAs. Now, this isn't a "go and vote for Suenik" post (although, if you want to that's groovy too!). Instead, the ACAs are one of those great things that really helps to build a sense of community around this place. It only takes a few minutes to do so, but I'm pretty sure all the writers out there who get nominated appreciate it!

You still here? GO AND VOTE!

• 2Like
Reactions:
He beat consumption! I almost thought that was the heralding of a prosperous future before I read the rest of the post and remembered “oh yeah, this is Suenik.”
I offer my sincerest ‘oh come on’ to Gurgen and his current predicament.

• 2Haha
Reactions: