Stellaris (Fake) Dev Diary #138 - Donte's Inferno

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Heya!

With regards to Stellaris, and passing over the current bug issues, I'd really like to see some more viable ways to gain territory from other empires without resorting to war. At the moment it's pretty close to impossible to vassalize empires diplomatically, and I've yet to see an AI empire willing to trade a system!

I imagine that that sort of thing, more diplomatic/pacifist playstyle detail, would be the sort of thing covered in the mythical diplomacy update/dlc.

Also, more megastructure depth! And events/flavour :D
Espionage that would allow you to support revolts to break off hunks of neighbors ;)

I also wouldn't mind hearing about where you would like Stellaris to go? We've made some pretty big changes to the game over the last 18 months, but what would you like to see added to it, flesh out, or changed?

For now i just want the bugs fixed, and improvement to planetary management ui, building placement is buggy actually that i already report it in bug report section.

"...the time they've been given..." scares me a bit in this context. What if the "drop-dead date" comes and goes and the AI is still pants-on-head with incredibly slow lategame performance? Will extra time be budgeted or are we just left in a continual spiral of tech debt as the team is forced to move on to the next DLC? Just how long are you prepared to spend polishing the existing state?

We don't stop fixing the game just because we start working on an expansion, but it becomes a balancing act then, where as right now their sole focus is on fixing. The plan can always change if needed, I'm not completely evil.. just mostly.

For Stellaris in priority order:
1 - Working AI, performance optimization and balancing the new mechanics. Plus quality of life improvements, like selecting pops to gene mod, etc.. (there is actually a list in some thread if I remember correctly). I know this stuff doesn't sell, but the game is not playable without mods atm.
2 - Diplomacy rework with a DLC that introduces galaxy UN and working federations, plus espionage. I mean something that makes you want to play the early/mid game and not just to wait untill late game.
3 - More interactions with fallen empires, cysis with different outcomes.
4 - Possibility to play a nomadic race with massive giant ships (or fleets) that are basically mobile planets.
5 - Capital ships with special modules and abilities would be cool.

more negative traits and perks in stellaris, more new techologies for late game
rebalance ascencion perk - trancdendetional learning is useless now
spy mechanic
more new unic technologies and events for devouring swarm and machine empires

I would like to see...
-More Cold War options. I would like ways to have war without war. This should be spionage, funding terrorism groups, pirates, etc
-Diplomacy intern on federations
-More interactions with the primitivs, like trade with them, share small parts of the technology, etc. Read Port of Earth for an example of a Megacorp trading with the earth=
-More lore on the fallen empires. I think that in the same way we have the precursor events we could have anomaly/tasks on someone on the fallen empires to discover what happened, like with The Mistake or Processor Alpha.
-Trade Routes not just on your empire, but between your partnerts, with the posibility of tax for the use of your wormhole/Warp Gate

I know this is kinda crazy but I always wanted an age of sail triangle trade/spice trade simulator with some colony/plantation building stuff when you come back to your royal colony. AKA I want to forcefully mate a Silent Hunter game (except with galleon) with Anno.

A CK-style game in a fantasy world with magic, monsters, etc. I think Stellaris has shown you can break away from strictly historical settings.

Personally I really like politics and espionage when a game does it correctly so more of that kind of stuff would be awesome for Stellaris. But as for other games I always thought it would be cool if there was a game that takes place during the cold war where you play as a country during that time and have to try and take down your enemies through espionage and politics since open war isn't really an option with nukes in play.

A strategy game that has less of an emphasis on war, and more of an emphasis on politics and subterfuge. Personally I always thought a cold war era game would be fascinating, but it could be any post-nuclear time period where the prospect of war can lead to mutual destruction of everybody.

I love the Twilight Struggle board game, and the whole Cold War scenario, pushing strings from the shadows (maybe that is why I have the job I have..). But I think those of us that enjoy such things might be a really small minority :(

Game of Thrones GSG?

That totally isn't going to happen, but wouldn't mind doing something in a fantasy setting one day.

I'd like to see a strategy / builder game focused on prehistory. Admittedly, there are some upcoming games in that genre, but I think PDX could really do something amazing in that space.

For Stellaris: diplomacy is probably top of the list for me. I want more optuons to deal with external empires, more flavor to my internal politics. Leaders that mean something more than stat buffs. It would really give the game a lot more personality.

What features in strategy games are important to you
Less min/maxing which is important for small percentage of competitive players, more flavour an unique mechanics. I'd like different races/countries/whatever to be more distinct, not only have like 5% production efficiency or one of other million modifiers.