• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Stellaris Dev Diary #324 - 3.10.2 "Pyxis" Released [1cff] and December Plans

Hi all!

With another busy week of bugfixing, the 3.10.2 "Pyxis" patch is now live on all platforms. So far, 689,121 Astral Rifts have been explored by you.

This release contains a fix to a common MacOS crash, fixes to ship build costs being applied, and adds full customization to the outliner tabs.

To those of you that read Monday's post about the Beta, some of this isn't news to you so you can skip to the end where I'll talk about the planned 3.10.3 and 3.10.4. The released patch is identical to the 3.10.2 Open Beta.

Features
  • Added custom tab functionality to the outliner
Balance
  • Paragon leader Nasuz Demetor is now reclassed as Scholar and only has one Destiny trait (Vibrant Storyteller)
  • Payback Origin: the "Declining Healthcare" modifier acquired during the "Out Of Warranty" event chain is now automatically removed after 5 years
  • The Agrarian Upbringing trait can now be gained by all leader classes
  • The Agrarian Upbringing trait is less likely to be rolled if another leader has the trait
  • The Architectural Interest trait can now be gained by both officials and scientists
  • The Army Veteran trait can now be gained by both scientists and officials
  • The Army Veteran trait is less likely to be rolled if another leader has the trait
  • The Enlister trait has been moved from officials to commanders and now gives soldiers to the governed planet (tier 1) and sector (tier 2)
  • The Entangled Dark Matter astral rift now completely overwrites the personalty of the selected scientist if they are not psionic
  • The Environmental Engineering trait can now be gained by all leader classes
  • The Environmental Engineering trait is less likely to be rolled if the leader's empire has the Environmentalist civic
  • The Environmental Engineering trait now requires a blocker removal tech to be researched
  • The Foreign Consciousness trait is now a destiny trait
  • The Kaleidoscope now has a chance of appearing anytime after midgame starts, instead of always appearing at the start of midgame
  • The Mining, Farming and Generator focus traits have moved from officials to commanders
  • The Planetary Analyst destiny trait can now be gained by both commanders and scientists
  • The Retired Fleet Officer trait can now be gained by both scientists and officials
  • The Retired Fleet Officer trait is less likely to be rolled if another leader has the trait
  • The Righteous trait can now be gained by both commanders and officials
  • The Traumatized trait now negatively impacts Astral Rift Exploration Speed
  • The Unifier trait is less likely to be rolled if another leader has the trait
  • The Xeno-Mediator destiny trait can now be gained by all classes
Bugfixes
  • Astral Rifts now appear as not leading to anywhere when the player's astral rift pool is empty
  • Blocked commanders for end-game crisis factions having non-admiral traits
  • Corrected draw weight for Shipbreaker trait
  • Corrected modifiers on Agrarian Upbringing
  • Corrected some trait names
  • Correctly locked a number of Delegate GalCom focus traits to require the DLC that unlocks their resolution category
  • Dimensional Locks now forbid access to countries without communications
  • Fixed a number of opposite trait pairs not taking into account their levelled versions
  • Fixed a visible trigger check in the first contact description for Amoebas and Crystalline Entities
  • Fixed all leaders in imperial empires using the regnal namelists instead of only the ruler and heir
  • Fixed an error in the "Out of Warranty" event chain that occasionally left you stuck with a permanent "Declining Healthcare" modifier
  • Fixed Ancient Rampart not applying its modifiers correctly
  • Fixed astral rifts exploration UI getting locked when all narratives had been explored
  • Fixed dimensional dump astral rift sometimes creating a leader with no name
  • Fixed Dimensional Shrine not being buildable in Terminal Egress system
  • Fixed discoveries tab not being displayed when tabs order has been customized
  • Fixed heirs being able to have planar theorist trait despite not being capable of exploring astral rifts
  • Fixed leader age staying frozen after leaving an Astral Rift
  • Fixed missing 0 on Collaborator II's sector modifier
  • Fixed outliner sometimes opening the astral rift view on the wrong rift when clicking on a ship exploring an astral rift
  • Fixed reformating regulatory node agenda for machine empires
  • Fixed Revolutionary Medi-Gel not affecting Pharma State civic production for Medical Workers
  • Fixed ship build cost modifiers not being applied
  • Fixed starting gestalt nodes not benefiting from initial leader level modifiers
  • Fixed the Numistic Administration species trait
  • Fixed the right-click menu not appearing for archaeology sites
  • Fixed some modifiers with a multiplier not being applied
  • Fixed the Surveyor relic trying to fire an effect on a habitat orbital when none exists
  • The Ancient Ramparts Starbase Module now mentions what modifiers it has to Defense Platforms
  • The astral rifts now correctly check for Chosen One traits in addition to the Psionic trait
  • The empire created by the Animator of Clay now correctly spawns their council
  • The Factory Focus trait is no longer blocked for gestalts, but instead checks that they have a use for consumer goods instead (ie it is valid for Rogue Servitors)
  • The Sensor Array Power Surge event can no longer target Astral Scars, planets with deposits or planets that have a habitat orbital
  • Updated science nexus events to check for renowned and legendary paragon scientists
Stability
  • Mac crash fix (one of threads run out of the stack mem by alloca in a loop)
  • Workaround for rare crash when rendering empire borders
Performance
  • Fixed performance issues caused by outliner notification.
AI
  • When adding council positions, AI will prioritize Head of Research, Minister of Defense and Minister of State if it doesn't have them
Modding
  • Added @anti_synergy_weight_mult scripted variable for leader trait weights
  • Added ai_priority to councilor type
  • Added background_planet scope for leaders
  • Added has_blocker_removal_tech scripted trigger
  • Added Ship Class modifiers for armor and shield hardening, `shipclass_<class>_armor_hardening_add` and `shipclass_<class>_shield_hardening_add`
  • Updated LEADER_GOVERNOR_MONTHLY_EXPERIENCE to LEADER_ASSIGNED_MONTHLY_EXPERIENCE

This release does not yet have fixes for two Linux issues, but we have workarounds for two of them:
  • If you are crashing on startup, players have reported that starting Steam, disabling the internet, then loading the game bypasses the issue. Internet can be reenabled afterwards.
  • If you are crashing while hosting a multiplayer game on Ubuntu 20.04, switching to Cross Platform multiplayer appears to resolve the issue. It is also not present on Ubuntu 22.04.
Players have also reported issues with certain event leaders missing traits and envoys convincing themselves they're real people, these will be fixed in 3.10.3.

Outliner Customization

In 3.10.2, we've added the ability to fully customize your Outliner tabs. In your Outliner Options, there is now a toggle for Custom Outliner Tab, which will let you select any elements you wish to show on that particular tab. This should allow you to set up your tabs however you desire, including putting everything on a single tab or duplicating the same information across different tabs if you wish. (For example, if you want a "Peace" and "War" tab, with different information or sorting.)

1701180984580.png
1701180989130.png

So What's Next?

We're continuing to focus on stability and bugfixing for the next few weeks.

3.10.3 is planned for next week, and we plan on continuing the pattern of releasing the build early as an Open Beta while it's undergoing certification.

3.10.4 is expected the week after that, and will include translated localization for the various changes made in the first three patches. (As well as further bugfixing as needed.)

And After That?

The 3.11 "Eridanus" update in 2024Q1 will focus on stability, AI, and balance.

We're planning on running a balance related Open Beta over the holidays to collect feedback regarding some experiments around Research.

• 68Like
  • 21Love
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
really hoping balance includes work on weapons.. so many weapons are terrible currently especially anything with -75% penalties on them looks at autocannons and event weapons especially... event weapons need some love and 'unique' traits.. feel free too read my suggestions in my banner on that topic

• 3Like
Reactions:
Astral planes really gave a lot of nice new art work for these forum posts!

I’ve played with the new customisable tabs and must say it now feels good. Putting large amounts of content on one tab, and parring that down on another for more focused work is a nice balance for me.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Custom outliner? Damn Stellaris team you really do put the Quality in Quality of Life

• 2Like
Reactions:
By stability does this mean like technical game stability (crashes, lag, and the like) or in-game empire stability?

Technical stability.

I envision Eridanus as a spring cleaning update. (In the winter.) There's a bunch of technical debt to catch up on; we've been pushing the Custodians hard for most of the year.

Edit: Though I should say that doesn't necessarily mean Empire Stability won't be examined as part of it.

• 24Like
  • 5Love
Reactions:
What's that again ?

It's from an archeology site in a unique system that has a 25% chance to spawn (Zevox). I can't quite remember all that happens in the event but at the end there's a chance to get a size 25 Gaia or spawn a machine empire on that world that you can let go or play as

Reactions:
really hoping balance includes work on weapons.. so many weapons are terrible currently especially anything with -75% penalties on them looks at autocannons and event weapons especially... event weapons need some love and 'unique' traits.. feel free too read my suggestions in my banner on that topic
I don't see what you mean. Right now my main gripe with weapons are Archeotech weapons not having a baseline T5 dps (with -33% without the AP) and AI decision making being pretty mediocre in its uses.

Neutron launcher is also a bit akward to use and XL weapon are incompatible with kiting computers and Armor could use a slight nerf (unless using the appropriate <A> slot) or battleship with more hull.

It's not devastating, but those changes could be nice.

Reactions:
Due to frequent player crashes and out of sync in multiplayer games (diplomatic system, new cracks, eliminating other countries), will their fixes be included in versions 10.3 and 10.4?

Thank you and on a very unrelated note, the headline picture of a chrysalis(?) on a green background is cool and not one I have seen before. Is this new and following a theme?

I envision Eridanus as a spring cleaning update. (In the winter.) There's a bunch of technical debt to catch up on; we've been pushing the Custodians hard for most of the year.
This is the patch that we all want tbh, no need for extra mechanics just some rebalancing and many, many bug fixes.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Would be nice to get an economic rebalance to compensate for the powercreep, as every dlc and feature just adds to it.
Higher cost for stuff, higher tier techs, ships, upkeep etc. (about tech tiers there was a topic, briefly low level techs take relatively too long to research (5-10 years), especially at increased tech/trad cost, but as snowballing is ongoing later level techs are finished in matter of months.)
Besides tech cost slider we might need a general cost slider maybe. I'd even appreciate a starbase influence cost slider too to have a really slow paced game.

• 4Like
Reactions:
God bless the Custodians.

Meanwhile, the EU4 team hasn't fixed the fact that most of the achievements they added in the update nearly two months ago are unattainable.

Reactions:
Would be nice to get an economic rebalance to compensate for the powercreep, as every dlc and feature just adds to it.
Higher cost for stuff, higher tier techs, ships, upkeep etc. (about tech tiers there was a topic, briefly low level techs take relatively too long to research (5-10 years), especially at increased tech/trad cost, but as snowballing is ongoing later level techs are finished in matter of months.)

Some balance for the power creep would be nice. One thing I noticed in two recent games is that the Khan and Awakened empires did really well. In one game the Khan died of old age, in the other they took a lot of territory and lasted a few decades. Awakened empires took on large federations and consistently won too. I assume that this was due to the bug that removed all ship build modifiers, meaning that regular AI empires had much lower power levels.

Tbh this was great as I've not seen the Khan or AEs do anything significant for years in stellaris. They always get destroyed by the AI pretty immediately. Same for the crisis, I find that if I'm playing Commodore/Admiral I have to set the crisis strength to at least x5 for them not to be instantly destroyed by the combined might of the AI empires.

I'm not saying the bug should be put back but a good look at all these build cost reductions (maybe swap them for build speed rather so costs stay the same) and other power creep modifiers would be great.

Reactions:
Any chance The Origin Under One Rule going to get bugfixes? The luminary bloodline trait doesn't get applied to heirs and the luminary doesn't pull any Luminary traits on leader level up.

• 3Like
Reactions: