• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Presumably because starting a scenario in 1914 would be too close to the end date of the game for proper play. And altering the 1836 start to make WW1 happen, or other historical straitjacketing, would go against the intended sandbox nature of modern Paradox games.

Starting in 1861, three quarters of the game timeline is still left to be played.

I think the latest possible interesting and relevant start would be 1871, the declaration of the German Empire. That's a markedly different world from 1836, an interesting setting, but still with more than half of the timeline left.

Presumably because starting a scenario in 1914 would be too close to the end date of the game for proper play. And altering the 1836 start to make WW1 happen, or other historical straitjacketing, would go against the intended sandbox nature of modern Paradox games.

Starting in 1861, three quarters of the game timeline is still left to be played.

I think the latest possible interesting and relevant start would be 1871, the declaration of the German Empire. That's a markedly different world from 1836, an interesting setting, but still with more than half of the timeline left.

I think the way they should do it is have both the starting date for WWI, so historical WWI can happen, but also fix the mechanics that are supposed to cause WWI so your own WWI can happen in the Grand Campaign.

I think the way they should do it is have both the starting date for WWI, so historical WWI can happen, but also fix the mechanics that are supposed to cause WWI so your own WWI can happen in the Grand Campaign.

WWI can not happen with an 1836 start unless the game becomes deterministic, which would be awful. A better approach would be mechanics allowing for a great war, like how Napoleon's Ambition added the French Revolution to EU3, but also allowed any European monarchy to have a Revolution. A scenario would also be nice, but only if these new mechanics were implemented so it didn't end in a white peace after six months.

WWI can not happen with an 1836 start unless the game becomes deterministic, which would be awful. A better approach would be mechanics allowing for a great war, like how Napoleon's Ambition added the French Revolution to EU3, but also allowed any European monarchy to have a Revolution. A scenario would also be nice, but only if these new mechanics were implemented so it didn't end in a white peace after six months.

Not "the" WWI, but "a" WWI. The mechanics to cause these "great wars" don't work too well as far as I've heard, and that's what I'd like them to fix. Tack on a real WWI scenario as well and that'd be a much better DLC imo.

Varied literacy. In the current game it is not possible to setup literacy outside of a flat level across the country. It would help realism greatly if university educated clergy could actually read and write.

I also suspect a lot of promotion and demotion functions would work a lot better if not all pops had the same literacy levels. With uniform literacy levels any demotion/promotion based on literacy will either be too strong in high literacy countries or too weak in low literacy countries. It would be better to have a limited number of pops with high literacy that can fulfill the literacy requiring professions.

Another literacy issue is the hard penalty to non-primary cultures. Germans in Denmark should not have lower literacy levels than the Danes.

Setting a level for each pop will probably be too much work, but being able to set literacy levels per pop-type on nation or state level would help a great deal. To support different culture, multipliers could be specified, so the primary culture gets a 1.0 multiplier, and other cultures could be specified to the same or lower as required.

Starting in 1914 would allow a focus on immersion events for the Interbellum, or the coolest period in victorias timefrime as its also known. Hopefully its because ACW isnt the focus just the line to sell it with, as the real focus is on deeper mechanics, a reworking of politics and etc. Its not an ACW expansions, its an expansion with the civil war in it.
With luck the next expansion will be an interbellum one

stats at the end of wars and a pop class chart are what i want

Another literacy issue is the hard penalty to non-primary cultures. Germans in Denmark should not have lower literacy levels than the Danes.

Does the literacy level measure literacy in the state language Danish or in the pops native language German. If Danish then it makes sense to have lower literacy levels.

Does the literacy level measure literacy in the state language Danish or in the pops native language German. If Danish then it makes sense to have lower literacy levels.

You could set it a little lower certainly, but the default right now is to treat non-primary cultures as if they are slaves or natives, so they start with very low literacy levels.

The literacy levels specifies how educated the pop is, how much research they generate and how well suited they are for office or government work (clergy/bureaucrat/clerk promotion). If the pop has their own schools, factories and municipals in their majority area, the language is not really a problem.

If minority POPs had high literacy, I think they'd assimilate too fast. The other conditions that help with assimilation are having needs fulfilled, low militancy and low unemployment. These can be easily satisfied.

I have to say I love Victoria 2 but one of the thing that I don't like about it is that you can only start at 1836. Unlike Victoria I were you can start from 1836, the American civil war, 1881, or at the start of WWI. I like how this expansion pack lets you start the American civil war but I would like to see more start points. Rather than at I can't wait for the expansion pack!!!

Varied literacy. In the current game it is not possible to setup literacy outside of a flat level across the country. It would help realism greatly if university educated clergy could actually read and write.

I also suspect a lot of promotion and demotion functions would work a lot better if not all pops had the same literacy levels. With uniform literacy levels any demotion/promotion based on literacy will either be too strong in high literacy countries or too weak in low literacy countries. It would be better to have a limited number of pops with high literacy that can fulfill the literacy requiring professions.

Setting a level for each pop will probably be too much work, but being able to set literacy levels per pop-type on nation or state level would help a great deal. To support different culture, multipliers could be specified, so the primary culture gets a 1.0 multiplier, and other cultures could be specified to the same or lower as required.

What happened is that since 1.3 (IIRC) the "literacy" field in the country history files now affect only national culture pops. For non-national culture pops now we have to use the "non_state_culture_literacy" field, but the default history files have remained almost unchanged, with only France's making use of that field.

So what happened is that literacy values for non-national culture pops have become vastly lower as a result of this change, since the history files weren't corrected to make use of the new function.

There should be a way to send ships up river, to allow for more accurate campaigns against the CSA. The Union sent steam ships up the Red River, a tributary of the Mississippi, to halt supplies moving in from Texas. We should have something like that, at least for some large rivers. Some examples could be the Mississippi, the Amazon, the Hudson, and the Congo Rivers. I'm sure there are other likely candidates. With such access, we should then be able to build naval bases on some provinces adjacent to rivers. Not all naval bases are situated on the coast.

There should be a way to send ships up river, to allow for more accurate campaigns against the CSA. The Union sent steam ships up the Red River, a tributary of the Mississippi, to halt supplies moving in from Texas. We should have something like that, at least for some large rivers. Some examples could be the Mississippi, the Amazon, the Hudson, and the Congo Rivers. I'm sure there are other likely candidates. With such access, we should then be able to build naval bases on some provinces adjacent to rivers. Not all naval bases are situated on the coast.

The Volga is another huge one...as is the Danube

River control could work by having boats station near them, like pirate hunting in DW or HttT or whichever added it, have ships stationed in New Orleans be able to blockade provinces inland along the river as many deep as your tech allows and etc