• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
A combination of trade and colonisation should be able to boost your income over time.

PrawnStar said:
Duncan Ferguson - Big Dunc

Footballer, ex Rangers, Newcastle (in bold there t0m :p ) and Everton. Also ex Barlinnie (Glasgow high security prison) :eek: - after his fourth conviction for various types of violence. Famously chased a burglar out the house down the street and gave him a good beating.

Seeing him as a Scottish philospher is amusing, presumably David Hume will turn up as a Land Tech guy or a General.

Duncan Ferguson in contemplative mode, exploring with a spiritual student whether the divine and the earthly can ever truly co-exist....

duncbefore.jpg

Fergusons' wisdom has been shared....

duncafter.jpg

Also, big Dunc at his most thoughtful....

http://youtube.com/watch?v=-rcXdZpdJ6I

Sadly Charles de Tonnerre doesnt provide nearly as much scope for a chuckle....

stnylan: A combination of trade and colonisation should be able to boost your income over time.

Thanks, thats what I've been trying to do, with mixed success! Though I dont really understand merchants/trade yet....

Capibara: Seems the Ottomans are getting what they deserve

Indeedy, think they'll end up back where they started, and with a stronger austria as a neighbour rather than a weak hungary. doh!

comagoosie: France sure does has a fluctuating income.

I'd guess it goes up and down so much with war taxes coming on and off??

mad general: April 15th the day the titanic sank, Lincoln died, and of coarse taxes. Bad omen for his reign.

:) his reign has just got a whole lot better! hint:

culturepreview.jpg

It's the Cosmopolitaine bit that taught Big Dunc philosphosy :) . The new guy is plain boring.

Good going getting that french cultured province - I suspect colony theft but if it's mainland well done sir!

Vive le Ecosse! (1507)

Vive le Ecosse! (1507)

The final decade of the 15th Century saw a renewed Scottish focus on diplomacy. Her war with France had made Henry I, the Scottish monarch, keen to build relations with other European nations. In 1496 his daughter Anne had been sent to Brittany, with a small dowry and the objective of marrying into the family of Phillippe, King of Brittany. Her beauty won favour, and she succeeded.

anneofbrittany.jpg

Ten years later Scotland, England and France were rocked by an announcement from Brittany. Plague had struck down Phillippe, and his only heir to the throne. Henry I of Scotland was invited by the nobles and clergy of Brittany to take the throne. Within hours Henry was aboard a ship (Scotlands' only.....) to Brittany, landing in Armor a week later - and proclaiming himself King of a new expanded Scotland

scottishbrittany.jpg

The French looked on with anger, and rushed troops to the border with Brittany....

So, are the new neighbours friendly? :D

I see you are getting pulled more and more into continental affairs. Be wary of that. I feared that English alliance might bring you harm. So far so good. But watch your back.

Cities across the waves (1507)

Cities across the waves (1507)

The early years of the 16th Century saw hundreds of Scottish families leaving behind their homes in Lothian, Fife and the Highlands - and travelling thousands of miles to build new lives in New Scotland. Henry I supported the exodus with generous subsidies and tax amnesties. He and his court were keen to build Scotland's colonies into thriving cities - cities that would be able to contribute more to Scotland's finances and defences.

coloniesandcash.jpg

Henry continued the policies that had served Scotland well over the previous half century, by investing Scotland's increasing wealth into researching production techniques and administration. Some members of the court increasingly called for military research, fearing that Scotland was creating an alliance of powerful neighbours who would want to see her fail. But Henry ignored the advisors, the top priority must be new income from production and colonial growth - only then could Scotland build an effective fighting force.

To the North of Scotland's colonies, the English and the Iroquois went to war, with four months of inconclusive fighting. The English were heavily outnumbered, with 3,000 troops sparring against 12,000 Iroquois, but managed to punch blow for blow. Henry's court was divided, with some demanding that Scotland join the war against the pagans. But Henry I held firm, he knew that Scotland could not field troops in time to make a decisive difference. He also believed that the pagans were playing a useful role keeping the English in check. Quietly, and with the utmost secrecy, Henry I ordered that Iroquois troops should be given access through Scotland's territory to the rear of the English positions....

To the South, European powers were extending their colonial empires into the newly discovered territories of the Caribbean. England, France and Castille lead the exploration but smaller states, including Venice (!!) also claimed islands as their own.

carribbean.jpg

Many of the new colonists were fleeing the religious turmoil that had broken out in Italy. The first years of the 16th Century saw the beginnings of a religious revolution, with small groups of christians rebelling against the doctrines of the Catholic church, and papal authority. The revolution in belief began in Roma (!?), but within three years had spread to much of Italy. Catholic rulers were unsure how to respond, and civil unrest erupted sporadically.

protestantrome.jpg

The "revolution" in Roma was probably sparked by the Sicilian occupation.

Montague: The "revolution" in Roma was probably sparked by the Sicilian occupation.

Not sure what triggers the first Protestants appearing? But still ironic it was in Rome...

PrawnStar: So, are the new neighbours friendly? :D

Now have soooo many potentially stroppy neighbours its not funny. Borders with England (twice), Castille, and France. Plus 3-4 different American-Indian tribes. Need to find Scotland another ally I think.

comagoosie: Wait, did you inherit them?

Yup, nice little stroke of luck / breeding / seduction!

coz1: I see you are getting pulled more and more into continental affairs. Be wary of that. I feared that English alliance might bring you harm. So far so good. But watch your back.

I did mean to keep everyone at arms length initially, but now getting dragged in. Would like to keep the English as allies, but need someone else to help me against France - esp now we have a direct border! Burgundy? Aragon? :confused:

Castile and your color are very close, so it is hard to tell you guys apart :wacko:

And don't fall too far behind in tech, or you will be hard pressed to catch up.

Ahh,the wonders of a Protestant Rome :)

a Protestant Italy but catholic rest of Europe??? only in Eu3.. :D

where has the Pope gone?

Sr. Toledo said:
To Avignon, of course!
of course, I should've known. hopefully this will not herald a second Avignon papacy..

Just wondering: now that Rome is protestant, does this mean that if you conquer Rome you don't get the 'give Rome back to the pope' event?

Slinky said:
Just wondering: now that Rome is protestant, does this mean that if you conquer Rome you don't get the 'give Rome back to the pope' event?
the trigger for that event is

Code:
	trigger = {
		NOT = { exists = PAP }
		NOT = { exists = ITA }
		NOT = { has_country_flag = no_support }
		owns = 118		# Rome
		religion = catholic
so if the ruler of Rome is catholic and Italy or the Papal states don't exist, it will fire.

comagoosie said:
so if the ruler of Rome is catholic and Italy or the Papal states don't exist, it will fire.
That makes sense. Thanks for clarifying.