• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The Ottomans do seem to be doing rather well.

When do you intend to take over the pagans?

Yep, take over the pagans, before the AI does it! That#s a lot of easy to conquer land, and rich to boost :)

stnylan: When do you intend to take over the pagans?

safferli: Yep, take over the pagans, before the AI does it! That#s a lot of easy to conquer land, and rich to boost

Was intending to try to surround the Cherokee, Shawnee etc with my own colonies first, then strike. Haven't got much of an income yet either, so more colonies would help pay for the new army to tackle the heathen. though take your point about the AI doing it, need to watch out....

stnylan: The Ottomans do seem to be doing rather well.

aHuman(oid): Did I just see the Ottomans expand eastward in vanilla? (Bottom-right of the screenshot)

Thankfully Scotland is a long way from the Balkans! Think the area I cant see yet might be Timurids or Kazan, though no idea really.

comagoosie: I hope your economy starts to speed up. Everyone likes a rich scot.

I soooo need some money/income. Every penny has gone on colonists, and feeling a bit exposed by lack of an army (or a ship of any kind....)

Nice going so far. I will be following.

Babington-Smyth said:
Was intending to try to surround the Cherokee, Shawnee etc with my own colonies first, then strike.
Be careful. When they are completely surrounded no matter which way they send their armies, they will capture your colonies. This means you need a bigger army to stop this from happening or suffer a high rise in your BB rating.

I would definitely urge taking the AI tribes out sooner rather than later, even if that means a delaying or reducing colonial creation.

1) It does not require a very large army as generally European troops will be superior
2) Neither does it cost very much to send missionaries
3) You must get them before the AI does.

We shall fight them on the beaches... (1477-1497)

We shall fight them on the beaches... (1477-1497)

In 1477 the new Scottish King, James V, sent his daughter south to the English court, with instructions to secure a royal marriage. She succeeded beyond his wildest dreams. Two weeks later Frederick I, the King of England, offered Scotland a full Alliance. Seizing the opportunity to secure Scotland's southern border James signed the treaty. England and Scotland would stand together against anyone who attempted to stand in their way. The court celebrated James' diplomatic coup. Unfortunately for James England and France went to war 3 days later......

Faced with two allies both requesting assistance James decided to honour his new obligations to England. The two nations watched nervously as French invasion fleets entered the Irish sea. In January 1478 the French army landed over 14,000 troops in Ayrshire, brushing aside a Scottish force of 2,000 that had rushed there from Lothian. The fate of Scotland swung in the balance.

But large English forces moving towards the Scottish border drew the French south. Scotlands capital survived, for now. For four and a half years French forces roamed around England and Scotland, but each fresh invasion was beaten back by combined English and Scottish counter-attacks. To James' shame Lothian, the Scottish capital, was held by the French for the winter of 1480.

On 15 April 1481 a new King, Henry I, came to the Scottish throne. Later that year Henry took the field at the head of an expanded Scottish army of 10,000 troops. A combined Scottish-English army annihilated a French force of 9,000 infantry and cavalry, finally forcing the French to agree to a white peace. The fighting had been bloody, and Scottish soil has temporarily fallen to enemy troops, but the lion rampant flew proudly after peace was declared.

Surveying the bloody battlefields, and his ravaged economy, Henry resolved to form further royal marriages and alliances - so that Scotland would have allies to counter the French threat.

diplomacy.jpg

By 1497 Henry had used his sons and daughters to form Royal Marriages with Denmark, Tyrone and Brittany. He had also sought to build relations with other continental powers, though with limited success. Poland, Bohemia, Lithuania and Yaroslavl responded well to his advances, nations nearer to France (and keen to avoid entanglement) were wary. The previous year Scotlands' strong Catholic faith had been rewarded when she had been elected as Papal Controller.

Henry noted the changing balance of power in Scandinavia, as first Sweden swallowed half of Norway, before Castille in turn began to dismember key Swedish territories. Such agression from Castille was an ill omen, she and Scotland remained close neighbours in the New World.

europe.jpg

1497 was also a momentous year in the East. After decades of squabbling and rivalry Austria, Poland, Bohemia and Venice finally put aside their differences to launch a joint assault against the Ottoman Empire, who had been threatening to enter the heart of Europe.

comagoosie said:
Europe is shaping up to be a weird continent.
Oh I don't know. Austria is blobbing quite nicely. :)

Cash and colonies (1497)

Cash and colonies (1497)

The war with France diverted Scotland's treasury towards building a large mercenary army. With peace, and his alliance with England, secured Henry retired his (expensive!) mercenary troops, and focussed again on the New World. By 1497 three new colonies had been established along the southern coast of the new continent.

kingandamerica.jpg

Henry also hired a new advisor, to help build and maintain Scotlands' prestige with other nations. There were some at court who whispered that the Kings new right-hand man sounded a little too French....

Colonial growth, and the founding of the first Scottish city in the New World at Pamlico, had boosted Scotland's finances. Her income had almost trebled in the 40 years since James II first embarked on exploiting and settling New Scotland.

incomegraph.jpg

But Scottish finances were still a long way behind those of other middle-ranking European powers. For Scotland to be truly secure at home, and protect herself against further invasions - or to form an army to take on the pagan tribes on her doorstep - she needed to become richer. Henry I ordered that more colonies should be founded, and that Scotland should create new thriving cities from her existing colonial possessions.

comagoosie: Europe is shaping up to be a weird continent.

Yeah, Lithuania looks like it might be a real force to be reckoned with.....and the Castilians in Sweden....be interesting to see how it all pans out (from a safe distance across the North Sea!)

Sr. Toledo: Unless you're planning on diplovassalizing England, turning your back on France might have been a bad decision...

Well, I was planning to do whatever it took to suck up to England to keep them onside. Though looking at AARs for both EU2&3 England and Scotland do always seem to come to blows. Hmmmmmmm :confused:

t0m: Oh no because that would be a terrible thing. I hope it is England claiming Scotland in the name of... whoever the king of England is.

Sadly I'm still best buds with Queen Anne, see how long it lasts... ;)

April 15th the day the titanic sank, Lincoln died, and of coarse taxes. Bad omen for his reign.

Looks good!

I'm not sure what else you can do as Scotland - an early strike at England could be messy if it went wrong.

Of course I'm subscribing, anything which has Duncan Ferguson as a philopher is priceless.

Duncan Ferguson - Big Dunc

Footballer, ex Rangers, Newcastle (in bold there t0m :p ) and Everton. Also ex Barlinnie (Glasgow high security prison) :eek: - after his fourth conviction for various types of violence. Famously chased a burglar out the house down the street and gave him a good beating.

Seeing him as a Scottish philospher is amusing, presumably David Hume will turn up as a Land Tech guy or a General.