• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Law on the Election of Deputies: Oui
Law on the Post Office: Oui
Law on the Restitution of Property: No
Loi sur l'Éducation du Peuple Français: No
Repeal the Recognition of the Bourse: No
Repeal the Private Printing of Specie: No
Repeal the Governance of Voluntary Associations: Oui

[Industrialist, Financier and Deputy for Bouches du Rhone]
[Liberal]
[Bourgeoisie Epitome: +1PP]

In the Chamber of Deputies

"Mr. President,

I applaud the Ministry on common sense electoral and postal reform, but wish they were not so eager to burn through France's meager budget surplus with a 500 million franc handout to landowners.

I shall swiftly propose a more sensible alternative for the next round of voting.

Moving on, we see an attempt at the reckless destruction of the Royal education system put in place by the previous Ministry. This new education law should of course be opposed by all friends of good government.

And then attempts to destroy the Bourse and the private banking sector. I know this issue cuts close to the philosophical beliefs of many, but I tell you history is not going to march backward just because France does. We want legal corporations that operate in France registering and paying taxes in France and not in Switzerland or some future Bourse in a German city."

Law on the Restitution of Property: Oui
Loi sur l'Éducation du Peuple Français:Oui
Repeal the Recognition of the Bourse: Oui
Repeal the Private Printing of Specie: Oui
Repeal the Governance of Voluntary Associations:Oui

[Minister, Archbishop]
[Ultraroyalist]
[Artois's Sins +2PP. Minister +1PP]

(( @99KingHigh -- Secret ))

od7XPqk.png

Law on the Election of Deputies: Oui.
Law on the Post Office: Oui.
Law on the Restitution of Property: No.
Loi sur l'Éducation du Peuple Français: No.
Repeal the Recognition of the Bourse: No.
Repeal the Private Printing of Specie: No.
Repeal the Governance of Voluntary Associations: Oui.

[Deputy.]
[Doctrinaire.]
[Downtrodden figurehad +1PP]

- Lothaire Lécuyer.

((Private letter to @MadMartigan ))

Friend,

The current repeal of the acts of the Bourse and such is disastrous as I know you have been saying in the Chamber of Deputies. I want to make a case against it, but I feel as I have inspiration, will nor energy to do so. I feel isolated and that the forces of reaction bring us toward darkness. However I yet see some light. A man of your station still have contacts. I would humbly ask of you to make editorials and comments in your commerce paper regarding the last market-hostile reforms to inform the good people of France what's going on behind the scenes. Furthermore a man of your contacts could surely use them? Contact your industrialists and financers and inform them of these hostile re-forms. Of course, your course of action is up to you.

Kind regards,

Lothaire.

Law on the Election of Deputies: Oui.
Law on the Post Office: Oui.
Law on the Restitution of Property: No.
Loi sur l'Éducation du Peuple Français: No.
Repeal the Recognition of the Bourse: No.
Repeal the Private Printing of Specie: No.
Repeal the Governance of Voluntary Associations: Oui.

[Deputy.]
[Liberal.]
[N/A]

-Jean Lamarque

Loi sur l'Éducation du Peuple Français: Oui

[Peer, Colonel]
[Unaffiliated]
[No Bonus: +100% Rrreee]

-Nathanaël Barrande, Comte de L'Isle Jourdain

Law on the Education of the French People: Oui
Repeal the Recognition of the Bourse: Abstention
Repeal the Private Printing of Specie: Abstention
Repeal the Governance of Voluntary Associations: Abstention

[Pair de France]
[Pas d'affiliation]
[Préféré du Roi +2 PP]

- Duc de Valence

Last edited:
Repeal the Recognition of the Bourse: Abstention
Repeal the Private Printing of Specie: Abstention
Repeal the Governance of Voluntary Associations: Abstention

[Colonel]
[Ultraroyalist]
[Rapid Riser +1 PP]

- Alexandre Louis Desrosiers, 3rd baron de Roybon

Address to the Chamber of Peers

Theft is a grave sin in the eyes of God. Stealing from men of any social standing is nefarious on many levels. So it was indeed a nefarious act when the National Assembly confiscated the land of those who opposed them. Much of the land stolen was land belonging to men the National Assembly sent to the guillotine. Fellow Peers, we cannot bring the dead back to life, but we can return to their families what was stolen from them and fix the sins of the National Assembly. It is indeed a morally righteous job for us to pass the Law on the Restitution of Property.

-Comte de L'Isle Jourdain

(( @Syriana -- Secret ))

Ob9Y7Xe.png
My dear Polignac,

Nothwithstanding the grim forebodings thereof, I am pleased to receive your letter. It appears that the Spanish crisis is at last reaching its climax. Such times may be troubling, but they demand decisive action. We have already witnessed, in the insurrection against His Majesty so lately suppressed, how the disease of disorder shall not quarantine itself at the border, but shall travel from host to host in search of further victims. Spain must be healed. The medicine may be bitter, the patient may reel from surgery, but the physician must maintain his composure and do what is necessary.

So far as we may be concerned, any understanding undertaken between His Majesty's Government and the King of Spain must possess full legitimacy. It surely cannot be described as an act of aggression to aid a fellow State against domestic rebellion. After all, did the First Alliance not do so in its declaration at Pillnitz? The precedent being established, the Powers may not appeal against its invocation by France. Moreover, we have an especial duty to the King of Spain as a brother Bourbon; fraternal bonds must overcome any obstacle to action. As such, I advise only that the Government stresses that any use of force against the Spanish rebels has the sanction of the Monarchy, and that therefore the action must only be regarded as an amicable intervention in support of a lawful polity, and not a declaration of war.

I am pleased to hear that the Saint-Domingue Question may yet be resolved in tandem with the Spanish dilemma, but we must await the considerations of the Spanish Court. Given their troubles in subduing the South, they may lack the appetite for the prospective conquest of Saint-Domingue. Should we succeed in obtaining such terms, however, it would be of great credit to the prince and the Government.

I shall do all I can in my station to facilitate the Government's Spanish policy. I shall exercise such influence as I possess with the Prince de Metternich to convey him to a position of at least benign neutrality regarding Spain. Austria must be made to realise that, in the absence of unanimity at the Conference, there shall be no action against the Spanish rebellion; and so long as there is no action, that crisis shall deepen and spread to the adjacent states. This prospect shall surely concentrate the mind of Metternich. At any rate, the Alliance must realise that, should France decide on intervention in Spain, there is absolutely nothing that the Powers may do to prevent this, except to invade France herself - and this, on the farcical pretext of protecting a rebel Bonapartist regime against its rightful monarchy. I have always desired the friendship of Austria, which has served to free France from the bonds of servitude imposed at Paris, but friendship shall not be regarded as vassalage. As the prince has illustrated, we have offered Austria a free hand in Italy; she must reciprocate by offering us a free hand in Spain.

I shall keep you informed of any further developments.

Sincere salutations,

Valence

---

((Private - @99KingHigh ))

Addressed to His Serenity, Klemens Wenzel Nepomuk Lothar, Prince von Metternich-Winneburg zu Beilstein,
Chancellor of State for the Austrian Empire;

My dear Metternich,

It pains me that I must convey my sentiments to the prince by correspondence rather than in person. Though I have laboured at length to reassure you that my assignment to Vienna was not a product of a lesser premium placed by His Majesty's Government on the friendship of the Austrian Empire, I do understand that my inattendance at the conference at Verona must surely impede the strong partnership established between ourselves, which I believe has been the beneficence of Austria and France alike. I have the fullest faith in the Prince de Polignac, who I am sure will have already discussed at length with yourself the pressing concerns of the Government. Allow me to add my own voice to such affairs.

It is only lately that Italy itself, the host of the aforesaid conference, was in the throes of revolution. The Sicilies were in strife; the monarchies were capitulating to rebel demands; and hordes of marauders marched across the peninsula as the States established at Vienna in 1815 were swept away by the violence. It was only after the decisive intervention of Austria, in accordance with the principles established at the conference at Troppau as well as the treaty contracted between Austria and France, that the insurrection was finally extinguished and the constitutional order restored. This was a policy which France fully supported, in acknowledgement that it was aimed only at the benevolent restoration of peace, and not in self-aggrandisement.

Yet a similar crisis endures in Spain, with no sign of immediate resolution. The Spanish Government is in the clutches of a Bonapartist party. His Catholic Majesty is under threat to his person. So manifestly illegitimate is the constituted regime that the provinces themselves have exploded into opposition, much as the Vendée once resisted Robespierre. Worst of all, the disorder has not been contained to Spain and its colonies, but has spread even to Portugal and France. While the conspiracy so recently unmasked was feebly constructed and swiftly suppressed by the Government, there is no doubt that its inspiration was the Spanish rebellion. Bonapartism is no longer a domestic faction but an international league; the Bonapartists move freely, advise each other on the methods of subversion, and then lend their aid to the regimes which sprout from their soil.

The loyalty owed by France to Spain is as strong as that owed by Austria to Italy. First, there is the matter of proximity. A good neighbour does not turn a blind eye to the burglary of an adjacent house. Second, there is the matter of principle. France has staunchly upheld the principles of Troppau, and shall continue to do so. Third, there is the matter of family. His Majesty's Government is bound by familial compact to support the Spanish monarchy. Our obligations are therefore three-fold. We cannot resist them for much longer, not least now that the violence has begun to spread into our own provinces.

Throughout the Spanish crisis, His Majesty's Government has endeavoured to achieve a united resolution by the Great Powers. Alas, this ambition has been thwarted by the mutual suspicions and dissensions of the conference system. Russia shall not allow any intervention which is not under its own guise; Great Britain shall resist any intervention at all. Yet while this disagreement endures, the crisis deepens. There may yet come a time when His Majesty's Government must adopt certain necessary measures to protect itself from Spanish aggression and uphold the rule of law. Should such an occasion arise, we would expect that Austria shall remember our support for their intervention in Italy, and thereby be motivated towards, at the very least, abstention on the matter of a similar resolution to the Spanish rebellion.

Please receive this letter in the intended spirit of trust and friendship.

Sincere salutations,

Valence

[Minister of War and General de Division]
[Ultraroyalist]
[Minister of War +1PP]

~ François Bournier, Comte de Pontécoulant

Chamber of Deputies

A legislative proposal submitted for the next round of voting:

The Inheritance Act of 1822

I.
The right of inheritance shall follow male-preference primogeniture. The equal inheritance provisions of the "Loi de Nivose an II" are entirely abolished.

II.
Free gifts whether by acts during life, or by will, shall not exceed half of the property of the disposer should they leave at their decease one legitimate child; shall not exceed a third of the property should the disposer leave two children; and shall not exceed the fourth part of the property should the disposer leaves at their decease three or more legitimate children.

III.
In lieu of children, if the deceased leaves one or more ancestors in both the paternal and maternal line, free gifts shall not exceed half the property. If the deceased leaves ancestors in only one line, free gifts shall not exceed three fourths of the property.

IV.
A surviving spouse of the disposer is entitled to the use, though not necessarily ownership, of a quarter of the property.

V.
Illegitimate children are not heirs except in when they have been legally recognized. If the parents had legitimate children, a legally recognized illegitimate child may not inherit more than one third of the hereditary portion that he/she would have had if he/she were legitimate. If the parent had no descendants but many other immediate relatives, the legally recognized illegitimate child may inherit up to half of the legitimate inheritance. If the parent had neither descendants nor other immediate relatives, the legally recognized illegitimate child may inherit up to three-fourths of the legitimate inheritance.

[Minister and Peer of France]
[Ultraroyalist]
[Minister of the Navy and Colonies +1PP]

- Jean-Marie Chagnon, Vicomte de Saint Fulgent

Loi sur l'Éducation du Peuple Français: Non
Repeal the Recognition of the Bourse: Non
Repeal the Private Printing of Specie: Non

[Peer]
[Moderate (Liberal)]
[House of Orleans, +1 PP]

Chamber of Deputies.

"M.President,

Dear Deputies. Before you vote I want you all to look on the implications of the proposed legislations. Now I do support many of the legislations, such as the reforms regading election og deputies, post offices and the repeal of governance of voluntry associations. They are all needed.

But we should be careful to repeal the Act of Recognition of the Bourse and the Private Printing of the Specie. These are reforms that are much needed to revitalize our economy. Look beyond your wish to revert to an agrarian economy. If you revert these changes we face ourself at a crossroad where the French economy will fall behind the other economies. Our financial markets will be dependent on English, Swiss or perhaps even German banks and markets. The Bourse provide an important aspect of a new and vibrant economy. It will increase investements and new firms and enterprises may get greater deal of capital that they could have aquired before hand.

If we are to revert such reforms we are in effect going to lower the producitvity of the French market, and let the market rely upon foreign financial markets. This will not help the French economy only hamper and slow it down - let it be an agrarian or modern economy. We should be market friendly and open ourself up for a modern economy lest we fall behind and become a crippled nation. Much like our once so great neighbour to the west.

And if we are to hinder our financial market and create uncertainity in our markets we will lower overall productivity and tax income. There will be less development and less taxation. Now as you wish to spend more money on vital reforms such on the Post Offices, but also Restitution of Property, which I may add is a dangerous path to go down to ripple up conflicts of the old, yet to hinder the markets we might really find ourself in a situation where we will find ourself in a deficit. We need to improve our economy, let it heal and let it grow to new heights. If we repeal said acts, and go on an expansive government policy, we risk to only slow down or reverse our economy. That topped with other reforms such as getting education and science in the control of the Church is an impending doom for the industries of France and innovation in our great Kingdom.

Look beyond single issues, and look at the broad picture. The broad picture being the wellbeing of France and our economy".

[Peer]
[Ultraroyalist]
[Minister of Justice, Bleeding Purple, +2 PP]

Law on the Election of Deputies: Abst
Law on the Post Office: Abst