• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Law on the Election of Deputies: Oui
Law on the Post Office: Oui
Law on the Restitution of Property: Oui
Loi sur l'Éducation du Peuple Français: Oui
Repeal the Recognition of the Bourse: Oui
Repeal the Private Printing of Specie: Oui
Repeal the Governance of Voluntary Associations: Oui

[Deputy of Bas-Rhin]
[Ultraroyaliste]
[Intractable Disposition, +1PP; Cabinet Minister, +1PP]

M Rastignoc stood and tried to ignore the nervous bead of sweat trickling down his forehead. Rastignoc was himself freshly delivered from the halls of law school, and had yet to cut his teeth on anything substantial despite his fervent wish that that not be the case. As he looked out before the court and felt the oppressive judicial gaze settle upon him, he silently cursed his own ignorance. Showtime.

"I thank the esteemed gentleman for his summation of His Majesty's case against the accused. And likewise I thank those witnesses who testified as to my client's ownership of the paper in question along with his authorship of the aforementioned article. Although Fr Grégoire has never disputed the facts of either, their willingness to testify in a matter of His Majesty's justice is of course laudable. I will now proceed to explain the position of the defense as related to the charges brought before this court.

I find it curious that the prosecution believes that Fr Grégoire's comments concerning both M de Valence and M Metternich are in any way meant to be deleterious to the reputation or esteem of either. My clients holds only the most profound respect for the Prime Minister and, as well, bears nothing but sincere goodwill towards His Highness -- a fact which is immediately evident to any reader who does not wish to deliberately accuse Fr Grégoire. It is the contention of the defense that Fr Grégoire's comments were in fact written with the express intent of honouring both men. Well-learned men such as the gentlemen of the court are of course versed in the tradition of the panegyric: a text lauding, with fulsome praise, the character of to whom it is written. My client's reference to His Highness is clearly placed within the context of that tradition; indeed, how can it be otherwise when a priest refers to the acclamation of the heavens? Fr Grégoire meant only to convey the exalted status of His Highness the Prince within the eyes of the Continent. As concerns M de Valence, an overwrought figure of speech regarding the closeness of the Prime Minister and His Highness in matters politic does not an insult make.

More curious still is the contention of the prosecution that Fr Grégoire referred to Their Majesties the Sovereigns of Europe with his denunciation of, and I am quoting directly here from the text of the article, 'the petty machinations of self-interested autocrats'. Indeed having publicly acknowledged his authorship of these remarks my client cannot be said to reject them and neither does he intend to. Rather it is the position of the defense that such remarks are directed more generally toward the aristocratic classes of Europe as a whole -- persons who Fr Grégoire, as he himself will freely admit, considers to be a race of self-interested autocrats who openly lobby against the will of the people. But unless new legislation has been put into effect it is simple fact that the nebulous aristocratic 'class' of an entire continent is not by law immune to derision or criticism. The opinion that my client in any way wished to insult or even merely disagree with the crowned heads of Europe directly is manifestly absurd. Rather it is their subjects with whom he takes issue and through no fault of Their Majesties whatsoever. If the court would excuse me for saying so I do not believe that His Majesty, in his giving assent to the press laws, intended to enable French citizens to be fined or imprisoned for remarks made against faceless, nameless foreign landowners.

Finally I am forced to address the insinuations made by the prosecution that Fr Grégoire meant in any way to threaten His Majesty the King, or the Royal Family. Such an idea is patently ridiculous and frankly offensive to the dignity of my client as a man of the cloth. The plain meaning of the text is clear as it stands, but is made even more obvious by the author's reference to the "imperative that the warning bells be sounded". These 'warning bells' allude to the article itself and it's raison d'etre: namely to warn that if the popular will is continually ignored in the fashion which the article alleges, there will be consequences. Fr Grégoire then reiterated an obligation commonly known to all men -- the paternal duty of sovereigns toward their subjects' welfare -- before continuing to warn of the consequences which shirking that duty would bring. Those consequences do, yes, include the guillotine. However it is extraordinarily evident that my client's intention is one of loyalty, wishing to dissuade the mighty sovereigns of Europe from their erroneous ways out of fear of the consequences. To say that the article "calls for" these consequences is overwrought nonsense. Furthermore, to say that there is any threat to His Majesty or the Royal Family completely ignores the respect and lavish praise that was afforded to His Most Christian Majesty throughout the article -- which makes it quite clear that my client would never wish to see harm come to His Majesty and his family.

In conclusion I wish to briefly examine the stated charges brought against my client in tandem with the position of the defense:

• Violation of Chapter 1, Articles II and IV, for seditious remarks capable of inciting revolutionary violence.
As I hope to have demonstrated, Fr Grégoire did not pen his remarks with the intent of sedition or the incitement of revolution. Rather he wished, out of the respect for the monarchial institutions of Europe, to warn the crowned heads thereof of a potential danger in the face of their policies.

• Violation of Chapter 3, Article IX, for seditious remarks that constitute a danger to His Majesty the King.
As is evident throughout the tone and text of the entire article, which contains copious positive references to His Majesty, Fr Grégoire had no intention whatsoever of being a danger to His Majesty. Indeed, even the remarks of the final paragraph are directed toward the heads of foreign kingdoms and not toward His Majesty; whom he had previously referred to as "our great and benevolent monarch". My client instead used the article to laud the system given to us by His Majesty and urge it's adoption elsewhere. To say that my client intended to inexplicably threaten His Majesty in an article which otherwise praises him is the height of foolishness.

• Two violations of Chapter 4, Article XII, for offensive remarks directed at foreign monarchs in general and at the head of a foreign government specifically.
    • Violation of Chapter 5, Article XVI, for offensive remarks directed at His Excellency the President of the Council of State.
This does not need substantial elaboration beyond my earlier comments. The contention of the prosecution that Fr Grégoire referred to foreign monarchs with his remark about 'petty autocrats' is firstly incorrect as well as being nothing but a blatant extrapolation without any clear basis in fact. Likewise the comments about His Highness the Prince and the Prime Minister were meant as nothing more than effusive praise bedecked in the colourful language of rhetorical tradition.

I thank the court for their time."

((sorry this took so long, it's been a busy week))
Henri Greogire was sentence to three years imprisonment at the Conciergerie.

[Peer of France]
[Ultraroyaliste]
[President of the Council +2PP]

micpin_done.png

L'Ordre de Saint Michel l'Archange
Missive to all Knights of the Order of Saint Michael the Archangel:

The Grandmaster of the Order has called upon all Knights to become mentors to young soldiers, training them in the ways of war and earning their trust. When a young soldier shows interests in reactionary or religious thought you may direct him to the attention of any Knight-Sergeant who will bring him to the attention of the local Knight-Commander. The existence of this Order must only be known to men of utmost loyalty. Furthermore all Knights must watch for Liberal or Bonapartiste thought among the soldiery. These sentiments must be reported to the relevant commanders in the army if they are known to be loyal, or to any Knight-Sergeant who will contact the Council of the Archangel so that a list of undesirables may be compiled. In the light of the recent disturbances the Army must attend to the purging of all those who hold sympathies against His Most Christian Majesty and the God-ordained and organic order of society that is being rebuilt by all those engaged in the reactionary cause. Hold to this brothers in the service of Christ, that the great Joseph de Maistre said,"Man in general, if reduced to himself, is too wicked to be free." We must through the grace of almighty God, the strength of Saint Michael, and the just rule of the King ensure that man's inherent wickedness is suppressed and the transcendent honor of a life in grace may be known throughout all of France.

Le Grand maître du Ordre de Saint Michel l'Archange, le Vicomte de Saint Fulgent

MEMORANDUM

FROM THE MINISTER OF JUSTICE

FOR PERUSAL OF HIS MAJESTY'S COUNCIL OF STATE

STRICTLY CONFIDENTIAL
Your Excellency, the President of the Council,

Right honorable Ministers of State,

The Kingdom of France has recenltly experienced a most vile attack against its integrity by Charbonnerie - a violent and antidynastic revolutionary society. While its attempted rebellion failed and some of its perpetators were brought to justice, it is clear that this organization was not fully destroyed and that its cells still exist, waiting for their time. Unless this dangerous society is fully dismantled and its members brought punished, the sad events we have witnessed, would repeat.

While it is the duty of, first of all, the Ministry of the Interior and the police organs to investigate and put an attend to such attempts, I would advise the following regarding the policy towards such revolutionary groupings:

Under the Law on General Security, If there is serious evidence that a person has perpetrated acts, delivered statements, exercised activities, or has been involved in contacts inside or outside the country, which are of a nature considered to be, under applicable laws and ordinances, in violation of the internal or external security of the Kingdom, he could be administratively detained by, either, the signature of three responsible ministers, the Minister of the Interior or the local prefect, for, respectively, periods up to one year, up to six monthes or up to three monthes.

I believe that the government, when the security of the state demands so, should not hesitate to use that right against the members and associates of the revolutionary societies. Moreover, the time of their administrative detention could be well used in order to persuade them to cooperate with the royal government. Such detainees should be persuaded to give the government information regarding the organizational structure and the leadership of the organization, especially their higher-ups. Regarding these, when the government gets enough incriminating information, it should use the same approaches.

Should the malcontents be ready to cooperate, it would be possible for the government to ask His Christian Majesty to commute their sentences or even , in some exceptional cases, to amnesty such cooperators, if their services are worthy to government. In return, the cooperators would be able to assist the government in two ways 1. Should they possess enough information to incriminate the leadership and other members of the rebellious groupings, they should act as witnesses at courts, 2, In other cases, they might be used as secret informers, collecting evidence against the revolutionary organization, either in prison or, if released under credible pretense, in the outer world.

The government should, through such deals or money, seek to create a whole system of the secret informers within all antigovernmental groupings of the Kingdom, as well as attempt have representatives of the secret police inflitrate them, in order to be aware of their plans, prevent the crimes to be committed - and punish these that already were.

Only if such an active approach would be used, the government would be attacking and not constantly defending - and thus, future rebellions would be prevented.

I also must note that it might be important for the government to investigate the assistance to the Spanish revolutionaries that has been, according to existing information, provided to the them by certain political circles within France. Such actions are endangering the external security of France and can have bad influence upon credibility of the French government. It was already under the Presidency of the Marquis de Valence that this important issue has been raised - and I believe that such investigation should be conducted.

- SAINT-AIGNAN

Last edited:
(( Private - @m.equitum ))

Letter from the Metropolitan Archbishop of Reims to the Prince of Polignac

Votre Altesse,

Knowing you most occupied by the affairs of the State, I shall be brief. On the important matters of Spain and Greece, I must confess that I am of no definite opinion. Therefore, I shall strongly support whatever position you deem best for the sake of the realm.

Avec vous dans la foy,

Henri-Charles Victorin du Bourget
Metropolitain Archbishop of Reims

((Private letter to @Korona ))

micpin_done.png

Cher Monsieur le Ministre de la guerre,
I write to you in my capacity of Grand Master of the Order of Saint Michael. In the interests of maintaining an officer corps that is fully loyal to the King and the cause of returning our most glorious France to the good governance known to France before the nightmarish days of 1789. In this effort I have compiled a list for you of officers of dubious loyalty or liberal bent. My advice to you and the General Staff would be to keep these men at the current rank and to keep a watch on their activities, particularly in the ideological training of their troops. These men should be the first ones to be removed from the Army in order to make room for aspiring Loyalist elements within our forces. These are the aforesaid men:

General Étienne Maurice Gérard, comte Gérard
General Armand Charles Guilleminot, comte de Guilleminot
General Pierre, baron Berthezène
General Sylvain-Charles, comte Valée
Colonel Jean Luc Gottoliard ((Luftwafer))

(About ten more names of commissioned officers follow and twenty names of non-commissioned officers)

- Vicomte de Saint Fulgent, GMOSMA and Minister of the Navy and Colonies

Letter to the Archbishop of Reims (PRIVATE - @Eid3r)​

My dear Archbishop,

It has come to my attention that a new inheritance law has been proposed, one that is sorely lacking in all respects imaginable. As such it is my desire to present this bill to you and for you to present it to the rest of the government. It is largely the same bill I presented a few years past, though with a few alterations and additions. It is time now that we have the majority to change the inheritance back to its pure and proper form, not just for our benefit but all the people of France who suffer under noble but impractical ideals.

This bill removes the principle of equality from our inheritance, in turn it adds the practicality that is needed and furthermore it clearly defines the rights of every member to the inheritance, while preserving the overall estates and wellbeing of the people of France. It will bring wealth and stability to France, rather than the shackles which now defines every child and future decedents of the French peasantry. It is my utmost wish and desire to see this passed with utmost haste while we still have the majority and as such have no need for compromise.

Inheritance Law of 1822

Note: The purpose of the new inheritance law proposal is to take distance from the revolutionary and Napoleonic laws which took its guidance in principle, whereas this shall take the principle in practicality, the longevity of France, and the prosperity of her people. While still ensuring the future prospects of younger sons and other family members. The deceased who leaves an inheritance shall henceforth in this document be referred to simply as the deceased.

When referring to estates or legacies, it refers to all earthly possessions owned by the deceased or testator.

The opening of succession
§1
Succession is opened on the civil death of the deceased in who’s question the property is to be distributed.

§2
In cases where several person perish in an incident such as an accident or murder, where the time of death is undeterminable, the eldest heir shall be assumed to have perished after the owner of the estates in question, which thereby qualifies the estates as the heir’s property on his time of death.

§3
In cases where the oldest heir is deceased but has fathered heirs of their own, their heirs shall be considered the rightful heirs prior to children born after the oldest heir and their decedents.

Eligibility of heirs
§4
There shall be two ranks of heirs by law, legitimate children born in the wedlock, and children born naturally prior or post marriage. Children born from adulterous relationships shall have no legal claim or protection of property, rights of household and care.

§5
All children born in wedlock shall be considered the legal heirs who shall have first right to inheritance. In cases where there are no legitimate heirs, the natural born children shall assume the same rights as legitimate born children, and have the same rights, obligations and protection as those. The oldest child shall always be considered the primary heir and benefactor, should the oldest child perish prior to the deceased, then the oldest child’s own oldest child will become the primary heir.

§6
Male heirs shall always be considered superior to female heirs of their rank, as such female heirs can only inherit when there are no male heirs left of their rank.

§7
Legitimate female heirs shall supersede the rights to inheritance over natural born male heirs.

§8
To be considered a natural born heir to the deceased, the child must be born either prior or post marriage of the deceased, the deceased must during his life time have acknowledged the child as his or her own, to at least three witnesses, one of which a member of the clergy, who can testify to the legitimacy of the parenthood of the child.

§9
Should a child not be able to prove to be natural born as outlined in article §8, a child if it possess evidence either in the form of letters written and signed by the deceased, or any other form of contract which outlines the child as the deceased child, then a legal court of France may issue a decree, confirming the status of the child as a natural born child of the deceased.

Non-eligible heirs
§10
One is considered non-eligible for inheritance if he at the time of the inheritance, was not yet conceived, was a child with poor health and as such unlikely to live, has been declared civilly dead, or has been declared a traitor to the Kingdom of France.

§11
Any action in which an heir purposely harms the deceased in a manner which caused his death, or long term permanent injury is also considered non-eligible for inheritance, unless otherwise stated by the deceased where the deceased was considered in a sane state of mind.
Should the heir have filed a false or unproven lawsuit against the deceased of which a major crime or accusation such as murder, slander, treasonous actions or any other action which would damage the deceased honour considerable and his social standing, shall also be considered non-eligible.

§12
Any parent may disown their child as legal heir, thus making them non-eligible, if the child has committed a grave offense either against their person, that of the Sovereign, or against the state. To do this there must be at least four victims to testify of the heir’s guilt who would not benefit from his disownment, in cases where such witnesses cannot be found, but the person has still been convicted by a criminal court of France, the criminal conviction shall suffice instead of the witnesses.

§13
Any heir who while fully aware of the passing of the deceased; either by natural causes, disease or murder, and has not reported it to the nearest local official, either by state or clergy, but instead has hidden it and is above the age of sixteen years, shall by default be considered non-eligible.

§14
Any child of an heir which is considered non-eligible shall still be considered eligible as an heir themselves, as long as they were conceived prior to the action which has made their own parent non-eligible for inheritance.

Inheritance
§15
The primary heir shall have rights to all landed property and estates of the deceased unless he willingly parts with portions of it upon the death the deceased, or the property has been previously given under §48, thereby designating the parts to the next eligible heir.

§16
At the time of death of the deceased, the main heir shall be entitled to two thirds of the wealth, examples such as the assets, money or other material wealth, while the remaining third remains at the deceased disposal to grant as he wishes in his will. Should he not do so, then all wealth is inherited in its entirety by the main legal heir.

Cases of Irregular Succession
§17
In cases where there are no children by law who can inherit, the deceased can either decree by testament his heir or heirs, and under this the pervious divisions as defined under inheritance, do not apply. Instead the deceased, whom is now the testator, may decree his property in his will in any way which he so desires.

§18
Should the deceased have died without legitimate heir as defined by this law, as well as leave no testament, then the inheritance shall form as follows: it shall first revert back to the deceased parents. Should both parents have predeceased him, it shall instead go to the deceased’s siblings, then to their children, followed by the siblings of the deceased's father. Should the siblings or paternal siblings either not exist or also have predeceased the deceased, the inheritance shall be assigned to the deceased grandfather, then to grandfather's siblings. Should all of these have predeceased the deceased, and should the deceased have left no heir, the property, assets and estates of the deceased reverts to the state. This can only occur through the paternal line of the deceased.

Testaments and Wills
§19
Any man in France may write a testament which shall decree and define the future of his estates and assets in case of his death, and he shall henceforth in this chapter be defined as the testator.

§20
The testator may divide his property and assets in any way which he so decides, as long as it does not conflict with the previous mentioned articles in this law.

§21
Any items which is bequeathed in the will, which has been stolen or otherwise not rightfully belonging to the testator, regardless if he is willfully aware or not, cannot be bequeathed but must return to its original owner.

§22
Any landed property, items, goods or assets which has been bequeathed as gifts by a parent or grandparent, who are still alive at the time of the death of the testator, in cases where the testator has no legal heir to inherit, shall revert back to the family member who has bequeathed the item, and cannot be passed on in the testament.

§23
Any testator may decree that any person, regardless of birth, rank or fortune may be presented as the legatee or multiple to his legacy which includes the testator’s estates and other earthly property and remains, as long as it does not conflict with any previous paragraphs. For the legatee to be considered the testator’s legal heir(s), with all rights belonging to them in the court of the law.

§24
Titles and Peerages can only pass under the laws and requirements in which they were granted, and as such cannot be designated to anyone but thereby allowed.

The Renunciation of Inheritance
§25
Any man or woman in France may renounce any inheritance which rightfully belongs to him or her, either by the right of birth or as a legatee. This must be done before the opening of the will, in front of a judge of France, and once done cannot be repudiated after the contents of the inheritance has been known.

§26
Should the primary legal heir renounce their inheritance, the inheritance shall pass onto the next legal heir.

§27
Should the primary heir renounce their inheritance, then their subsequent children have no rights to the inheritance either. Any child already born will still be considered a legal heir regardless of their parents renunciation.

The Acceptance of Inheritance
§28
Before the opening of the testament, the primary legal heir, and potential heirs or legatee(s), must inform the reader of the testament that they accept the position of legal heir.
§29
Upon the acceptance as legal heir or legatee, the heir takes responsibility for all assets, property or other items bequeathed by the deceased as well as any debt incurred by the deceased.

§30
Should there be multiple heirs to the deceased, then the debt owed by the deceased or testator, will be split accordingly in proportion to what is inherited by each benefactor.

§31
The main benefactor of each will and testament also takes on the responsibility of acting as the head of the household of the testator or deceased, whether the heir or benefactor be the head of the household regardless of this is irrelevant. (See section: The Rights and Definitions of the Household of the Deceased and Testator)

The Rights and Definitions of the Household of the Deceased and Testator
§32
The household of the deceased and testator is defined as the immediate family of the deceased and testator. This includes any other heirs who are acknowledged by law to the deceased, as well as parents or grandparents of the deceased.

§33
The parents and grandparents of the deceased shall not be the responsibility of the benefactor or heir of the deceased, if the deceased is not the primary heir and head of household to his parents or grandparents.

§34
Under §8, the household in cases where the deceased has left legitimate heirs to inherit, shall have no obligations to those siblings who are not also born in wedlock, if any such exist, unless they have lived as siblings in the same household of a period no less than ten years during the life the deceased.

§35
In cases where members of the household is over the age of fifty, and unable to provide for themselves, the head of the household must provide for them to have an acceptable standard of living, within the means of the head of the household.

§36
It is the responsibility of the head of the household to ensure proper and good marriages for all daughters of the household to ensure their future.

§37
The head of the household shall be considered the legal guardian responsible for the welfare and future prospects of any member of the household who is not yet of age.

§38
Following §37, it is furthermore the responsibility of the head of the household to provide education and prospects to any male member of the household, or give them a trade of which they in the future can provide for themselves with.

§39
Any adult member of the household is entitled to a onetime payment to be decided either by the family in front of the provincial court, or by the court itself, or be paid a yearly payment over the course of several years of the same amount.

§40
§39 is not valid for any member of the household, whom the parents have already, either through securing a trade or education for their children, provided them with the prospect of a future, in which they can provide for themselves.

§41
Any male child upon coming of age may instead of being provided for by the head of the household of the deceased, request that they be given a payment equal to that which they would have received at the time of passing of the deceased.

§42
§41 does not apply if the head of the household, between the coming of age and the passing of the deceased, have gone bankrupt or otherwise destitute and as such cannot pay said amount. §41 furthermore does not apply if the payment of such amount, due to financial difficulties, would put the health and safety of the household in its entirety at risk.

The Wills and Testaments of Women
§43
Any woman may with the permission and blessing of her husband write a will and testament under the guidance of §20-24. Should she not receive the blessing of her husband, her inheritance shall occur as outlined by §15, 16 and 18.

§44
Should a woman under paragraph §43 not be married, then the responsibility falls to the head of her household.

§45
Should there be no husband or head of household as defined by §44 or 45 then she is to consult her closest male of kin. Should none of these be present then she may deposit it as she wishes.

§46
Should either her husband or head of household prove to be of no sane mind, she may ask either her mother or son permission to write a will.

The freedom of the testator to his procession
No testator or head of household may give away give away what would infringe upon the inheritance of his legal heirs as defined under the sections of §15-24, as such only one third of the wealth at any given time must be given away, and the landed property stay with the head of the household.

§48
The following exceptions to §47 would be in forms of dowries for the daughters of the households, or minor property grants to younger legal heirs which would not affect the longevity or the financial stability of the main estate. Another acceptable exception is the payment of tuitions for younger sons, in their education or gather of a trade to secure both their and their future family prospects.

§49
Any head of household or testator may grant the primary heir landed property at his discretion.

The guardian of an heir or legatee
§50
Should the primary heir or legate not be of age at the time of inheritance and as such be in need of a guardian, the guardian may not in his action as guardian grant himself part of the inheritance, or gifts received from it.

§51
Any heir who has not yet reached the age of seventeen may write a will of his own, as long as the only benefactors are his legal heirs, and if no such exist the inheritance shall default as outlined by §18.

§52
At the age seventeen, the heir may include his guardian in his own will as long as it does not conflict with §15 and 16.

§53
Should any guardian be found guilty of theft of inheritance, then he is to be confined to prison for no less than five years and no more than 10. The guardian shall also charged with returning the money stolen.

§54
The guardian may however withdraw deposits from the inheritance to pay for the upkeep of household and or maintenance of living costs of the heir.

ineligible grants of inheritance
§55
Any grant of inheritance which is made under threat of injury, prosecution or other forms of bodily or mentally harm is invalidated.

§56
Any grant of inheritance given to a member of the clergy during the final hours of the deceased as gifts for kindness or action taken, or in return for indulgence is declared null and void.

§57
Any grant of inheritance given to a physician or any other person who provide medical assistance to the deceased in his final hours, or demands parts of the inheritance in return for treatment, is declared null and void.​
Louis Henri Joseph de Bourbon, Prince de Condé, Duc de Bourbon, Bellegarde, Buise, Marquis de Graville, Comte de Valery, Seigneur de Beaugé, Chantilly, Château-Chinon, Château-Renault, Montluel, Château d'Écouen, etc., also Prince du Sang

4eQ3kJT.png

Name: Guillaume Armand Marie Emmanuel de Chalançon et de Polignac, Prince de Polignac

Party: Ultraroyalist

[Peer of France]
[+3PP]
(Emigré Historian +1PP,
Piano icht gut +1PP, Minister of Foreign Affairs +1PP)

VhwirFs.png

Last edited:
Name: Louis Henri Joseph de Bourbon, Prince of Condé

Law on the Election of Deputies
: Oui

Party: Ultraroyalist

[Peer of France, Prince du Sang, extensive landowner, General of the 10th army]
[The Condé Wealth +2PP]

Loi sur l'Éducation du Peuple Français:Oui

[Grandmaitre]
[Ultraroyalist]
[Broken Computer; Still Playing +1PP]

CHAMBER OF DEPUTIES

Mr. President,

I would like to remove my previous proposed legislation "The Inheritance Act of 1822" ( http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...interactive-aar.1019444/page-71#post-22947145 ) and in its place put forward the following legislation:

The Inheritance Adjustment of 1822
The Civil Code title on inheritance will remain in effect with the modification of equal right of inheritance to legitimate male heirs to primogeniture inheritance to legitimate male heirs.

At this time gratuitous changes of the Civil Code are unnecessary and unwarranted.

((PRIVATE -- @99KingHigh))
The Tuileries Palace

Henri arrived at the palace a good twenty minutes before the set time of his audience, modestly attired out in his best ministerial outfit -- he couldn't afford such a fine suit on his present budget, naturally, but his previous salary had allowed him to make a few reasonably fashionable purchases. This included the ivory-handled cane on which he rested his weight. His left leg retained its healthy shape -- most of the bullet wounds were easily concealed beneath modern fashion -- but it could not entirely support him. Thus the cane.

He did not allow his nerves to show; time in the army and the ministry had smoothed out his rough edges and left him waiting with a certain polished distance appropriate to anyone of arguably noble blood. This practice also allowed him to conceal the faint twinge in his leg; with the right focus, he could stand unaided for several hours, should it come to pass.

And so he waited, immaculately groomed and attentive, for an intriguing audience about which he could expect... well, almost nothing. What did one anticipate from such a reply? Best to expect nothing at all.

uZfBURM.jpg

"Ah, Henri! Come my dearest; you must forgive me for the absence of the king, he was afflicted most severely by a sudden attack of gout, and thought it best to retire early to his chambers to recuperate his strength. Oh you must know how these recent affairs burden him so. One can only admire his great vigor; he is so affected by the severities of his age, ah, but no more of this, come and let us not delay the purpose of our visit...

...the king was much distressed by the eviction of his beloved Valence; what a bond the two men shared! He is much relieved these days by other distractions, but any business to the regard of Valence will induce the most feverish fits. Why, only yesterday, he received a letter from your father, and insisted, before it could be opened, that the paper be put on the oven fires and made the source of his evening meal. Yes, he is most indignant at your blood, and can think of little else but some hellish furies whenever the dearest Valence is mentioned in his presence.

But neither the king nor I are not blind to your own service in the cause of the former Ministry, nor are we indifferent to the most virtuous severance of relations that you have made with your father. The king for his own grudge will not grant you anything on account of your blood, but he has not been humble in the recitation of your virtues to his visitors. One of his visitors is none other then Monsieur, and he is very much eager to make happy acquaintance with such an esteemed persona; he holds none of the sanguine animus of his regal brother, and has only the interests of the royal nation at heart.

He wishes, the noble Monsieur, to one day give you providential introduction to the ancient aristocracy by right and title, but he has conditions that must be gratified to justify his service to the Crown of France. These conditions are by all means simple in the quality of their proposition; that you must come into the possession of your father's inheritance, upon his death or mental ailment, by will or by legal claim, and upon the reception of that will, grant this property to the crown, whereupon you shall have the written guarantees of nobility, and be made both an eternal son of France and a very rich noble at that.

I hope you will consider this gentle proposition, for it would do great service to France, and to the sensibilities of the present and future king..."

((Private - @m.equitum ))

Addressed to the Minister of Foreign Affairs,
Prince de Polignac;

Monsieur le Ministre,

I would hope my letter finds you well.

Despite silence on my part, and that of the Council of State, towards the Congress of Verona, and with specific regards to Spain, understand the course remains the same as in our private discussions: French intervention stands first and foremost in our thoughts. As we understand it the British delegation, lead by the Duke of Wellington, has proven rather prickly with regards to such; rest assured however that the Council has full confidence in your ability to persuade their compliance, if not their support, in the matter. We also understand any measures you must undertake to achieve such an outcome, and support them fully.

Regarding the Greek Question, I will re-iterate private discussions once again: a Russian monopoly on influence in the region would be must unfortunate, and I can imagine the British share this point of view. Naturally, it would be in our best interests to work with the British to ensure that we all receive a share of influence in the outcome of what transpires there. Once again I have full trust in your abilities to ensure France's interests are seen to.

Should you require any assistance in either matter, or to clarify position - do not hesitate to write to me.

Yours sincerely,

q44zYlK.png

Law on the Restitution of Property: Non - At this time, the Minister of Finance has not produced any figures to explain how this proposal is to be funded. As drafted, it is a significant drain on the public coffer for the benefit of a class of nobles who have enjoyed 3 to 5 fold increases in income over the 18 month term of the Valence government. There is no public benefit offered to support this further supping at the teat of the State for these privileged individuals.
Loi sur l'Éducation du Peuple Français: Non
Repeal the Recognition of the Bourse: Non - I note that no argument or explanation has been offered to justify this measure. It would be appear to be an act of reactionary spite, motivated by fear of commerce and the bourgeoisie, rather than any rational or sound financial policy.
Repeal the Private Printing of Specie: Non - Again, no rationale is offered for this measure. Whilst the government speaks of rural banks, it seeks to inhibit the growth of financial institutions in France, so they either are ignorant of financial principles, or engage in sham displays whilst seeking to tear down the growth of the economy and weaken the Kingdom for their own petty purposes.
Repeal the Governance of Voluntary Associations: Non - The recent conspiracies are further proof for the retention of this law. The removal of this prophylactic is to encourage the disease of social discord to place the very safety of the King in peril.

[Industrialist/Financier]
[Liberal]
[Bonus: Shaking my money maker]

((Private - @m.equitum ))

Addressed to the Minister of Foreign Affairs,
Prince de Polignac;

Monsieur le Ministre,

I would hope my letter finds you well.

Despite silence on my part, and that of the Council of State, towards the Congress of Verona, and with specific regards to Spain, understand the course remains the same as in our private discussions: French intervention stands first and foremost in our thoughts. As we understand it the British delegation, lead by the Duke of Wellington, has proven rather prickly with regards to such; rest assured however that the Council has full confidence in your ability to persuade their compliance, if not their support, in the matter. We also understand any measures you must undertake to achieve such an outcome, and support them fully.

Regarding the Greek Question, I will re-iterate private discussions once again: a Russian monopoly on influence in the region would be must unfortunate, and I can imagine the British share this point of view. Naturally, it would be in our best interests to work with the British to ensure that we all receive a share of influence in the outcome of what transpires there. Once again I have full trust in your abilities to ensure France's interests are seen to.

Should you require any assistance in either matter, or to clarify position - do not hesitate to write to me.
sincerely,

q44zYlK.png

((@Maxwell500 -- Secret))

DYllC9v.png

T6Z6LpD.png

UtPK8YJ.jpg

Minister,

I regret to inform you that my attempts at negotiating with the King of Spain have been thwarted at every turn; the king has been removed to Cadiz, where deliberations are only permitted with the explicit presence of the government ministers. His Majesty is now no more than a prisoner of his subjects, and any negotiations, even with furtive agents, has proved impossible. Sir, I beg you evacuate my person from Spain, as I fear the current situation is untenable, and the safety of my person, dubious.

I beg you send quick command,
Laval

UtPK8YJ.jpg

Minister,

I regret to inform you that my attempts at negotiating with the King of Spain have been thwarted at every turn; the king has been removed to Cadiz, where deliberations are only permitted with the explicit presence of the government ministers. His Majesty is now no more than a prisoner of his subjects, and any negotiations, even with furtive agents, has proved impossible. Sir, I beg you evacuate my person from Spain, as I fear the current situation is untenable, and the safety of my person, dubious.

I beg you send quick command,
Laval

((@99KingHigh -- Secret))

((@Maxwell500 -- Secret))

2Wu95ER.png

Last edited:
Addressed to Deputy Lothaire Lecuyer
((Private - @ThaHoward))
Deputy,

I am willing to allow you to reenlist into His Majesty's Royal Army as a Captain of Infantry in the service of General Jean-Marie Changon, vicomte de Saint Fulgent. However, I would deign to remind you that His Majesty's Royal Army is no place for demagoguery or political radicalism. I shall not tolerate outward political dissent or political preaching from any persons within His Majesty's Army.

However, I welcome any who wish to fight for glory for the sake of His Majesty, France, and His Majesty's Army.

Respectfully,
François Bournier
Comte de Pontécoulant
Minister of War