• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Lamarque's Speech

7Jt9vUx.jpg

General Lamarque makes the inaugural speech on Gregoire's return; most expect the Liberals Independents to hush their words on the issue.

Once more the Chamber is shocked, and Lamarque defends Gregoire's right to take his seat. Cries of treachery ring out from the benches!

Lothaire considers compromise, and Decazes is incensed by such a consideration; he insists to the reformist Doctrinaires that disloyalty will not be permitted.

In the Tuileries Palace, Louis XVIII is consumed by anger. Gone is the discord between Artois and Louis XVIII; it becomes clear their regal alliance is most necessary.

LA QUOTIDIENNE

The Danger of Freemasonry to the State. An Editorial.

While the average Frenchman may see the Freemasons as a queer but innocuous society of overly imaginative fellows, their group is possessive of the abilities to become a dangerous one, and may have already grown insidious. Rumors abound, some unfounded, some more truthful, of questionable practices within their foreboding, hidden lodges, but their supposed rituals, which are said to be odd and disgusting, matter not in this particular argument. Their depravities may be investigated another day. This is because the author, first and foremost, is of the opinion that the Freemasons within France possess the ability to, and very easily could, subvert the legally and God-granted powers of the elected bodies of the Kingdom of France and His Most Christian Majesty the King, and therefore undermine their commitment to upholding justice and the rule of law.

When one examines the Masonic orders of other states, for the Masons here appear to be comparative babes in the eyes of the elders of England, it grows apparent of who composes these cabals. It would be the rich man, of any particular walk of life-- the aristocrat, the banker, and so on. Dear reader, do not mistake me to attack those at the top, but it is no secret that the chambers in Paris, as well as at Versailles, are a very elite place. Scarcely can a commoner be seen, and the ones who are there may count themselves very fortunate in their wealth. So, as we have seen in the other nations, Freemasonry breeds among the cream of society, and it breeds at a quick rate. And in a nation where this cream wields all the power, it is ripe for a shadowy takeover. There are various unconfirmed reports already of the ranks of the Freemasons in France being filled with those of peers and deputies. It may be wild speculation and rabble-rousing, it may be a truth, but the fact that these reports could very well be real creates a great concern with the author, as it should any other God-fearing, King-loving Frenchman.

The Freemasons say that they are like brothers. A good brother always helps the others in times of need, or to assist them in fulfilling their desires. So, let us say that, hypothetical, God forbid one day, three ministers are Freemasons, in service of the King. The leader of the Freemasons in France would like another peerage for himself, but he carries no weight with His Most Christian Majesty or the other deciders of the Kingdom. So, these ministers, who are loyal to their leader before His Majesty and France, will poke and prod and nudge, and ultimately sway the King. If something like that is feasible, then what is stopping some shadowy fellow with a title like “Lord of Goats” or “King of Flaming Frogs”, to tell a subordinate of his, who also happens to be some sort of military officer, to storm Paris so that he may become a new Napoleon? If Masons infiltrate the government in the militaries, their loyalties to their “brothers” or to France may favor the former, and that bodes ill. Never should some social club, or perhaps even a cult, depending on what is true, wield so much power over the government or to bear the capability to do so. It goes against the representatives selected and elected to rule over the people, and goes against His Most Christian Majesty who rules by the grace of God above. That is dangerous, and that is unacceptable.

What may the government do to counteract this? The author says, if they shall not be criminalized as dangers to the state, let them be known. So if Freemasonry is not be outlawed, for it poses a danger to the peace and the collective loyalty of the Government to His Most Christian Majesty and his ministers, then the Freemasons ought to, under the law, show themselves before the proper authorities. Their lodges should be marked for the state to see, and their member lists should be available to all levels of government, from local constables up to His Most Christian Majesty. It is a matter of safety and it is a matter transparency-- no men ought to be able to hide from the eye of the law and His Most Christian Majesty, for to do so would be against France and against God. The loyalties of a Freemason, whether publicly or privately to the Kingdom before all else, must still be scrutinized. One may never know when an apple will turn rotten, and poison those who eat it, or worse yet spread its blight through the orchard.

The authors hope that this editorial may prove to be a word of warning to the men in high places who bear the authority to propose such things: the Freemasons cannot be trusted, nor may they be allowed to skulk about in the shadows. Proper action should be taken regarding the prior points for the safety of the country and His Most Christian Majesty. A hidden wolf is a dangerous thing indeed, but a pack of them lurking among the sheep, cooperating and scheming for their own goals, will always be deadly.

--THEOPHILUS.

- Private - @MadMartigan -
Most Honourable Monsieur,

I think that if the Revolution has taught us anything it is that laws must be held with the highest regard, dare I say, above all else. The final decision is up to you, but I advise you not to frame your viewpoint as one of the King competing with the Electoral Process, for the Electoral Process is worthless without the King. If your decision respects the electoral process it also respects the King. His Majesty is wise and forgiving, and I am sure that he will not hold any petty offenses against you if you act justly and according to your conscience. Recall the fate of my father, who claimed undying loyalty to the King even when the King accused him of crimes he did not commit. He knew that the King, who is guided by God, will always realize the truth. You must not risk causing more popular outrage, for that leads to the death of laws, and when the laws die, so does civility.

-Jean Paul, Comte de Saint Germain

hôtel de Gouvion, 7e arrondissement, Paris

Dark clouds loomed overhead. Empress Maria Ludovica, with her Austrian brainwashed son, arrived from Vienna. France would now be under the Habsburg yoke and the election of Henri Grégoire was to blame. It was only wish such difficulty that Marquis Dessolles had convinced the Allies to restore the Bourbons and thus prevent France from falling under the Habsburg yoke. Now the election of Grégoire gave Emperor Francis excuse to set his grandson upon the French throne, using the excuse of intervention under the terms Valence's treaty system that Metternich had manipulated him into foisting upon France. Of course, this was but a dream but even so the Marshal Saint-Cyr woke up to a cold sweat, nonetheless. All of Paris had been unsettled by the Tricolor over Notre Dame, and now the election of a Regicide to the Chamber added to the public uncertainty.

For the sake of France, the Constitutional bishop had to go. But how? Only the Cabinet by petitioning the King could annul an election but he knew Marshal Marmont to be apolitical and with liberal sympathies. Plus his widely known guilt for betraying his friend Napoleon prevented him from adopting a pragmatic approach that could further besmirch his sensibilities. A direct appeal to his Majesty was also unseemly; this was not a strictly military matter that could fall under the advisory function of the General Staff. Without many options, Saint-Cyr would have to set aside his distaste for the man and took up quill and paper to pen a letter to Valence himself. Surely that weather-vane of a man could see that the election of a Regicide to the Chamber would unsettle the Allies, thus put his precious stratagems for an alliance with the reactionary powers at risk?

((A private correspondence from the marquis de Saint-Cyr to the marquis de Valence. @Syriana))

Minister,

I write to you in a rather agitated state. My friends in the legislature are none too pleased that a certain Henri Grégoire has taken a seat in the Chamber. For all our sakes, something must be done before the European powers find out that a known and proud Regicide has now been sent to the legislature. I have taken up a collection of signatures from like-minded individuals, across every faction, and of every station represented in the legislature to attest to on the matter of M. Grégoire's lack of fitness to serve, and thus inability hold office. I dare not offer such a petition before the Crown as I have been so recently released from ministerial service by his Majesty. However, I have every confidence that you retain our liege's ear in these sorts of matters.

I fear Grégoire may be too popular with the masses to bring to trial as a Regicide but at the very least the government can do is to find some pretext to annul the results of the election. Should you be interested, I shall forward copies of the circular so signed by those opposed to seating Grégoire in the legislature for your review.

Sincerely,
M. Saint-Cyr
My dear monsieur,

You may rest assured that the matter is well in hand.

Sincere salutations,

His Majesty's Minister of Foreign Affairs

Marquis de Valence

---

((Private - @99KingHigh ))
Addressed to His Most Christian Majesty, Louis XVIII, by the Grace of God, King of France and Navarre,
courtesy of His Majesty's Household;

Your Majesty,

Pardon the intrusion of this letter, for I am aware that recent events have no doubt stirred painful memories for His Majesty. Naturally, I refer to the infamous election of a certain Monsieur Grégoire to the Chamber of Deputies. The aforesaid individual is, of course, an arch-traitor and regicide, who has not even the display of penitence or atonement for his great crimes. I am unsure as to how he has been able to evade the apprehension of His Majesty's servant, the Duc Decazes, or what malignant spirit so possessed the electors of Isère as to nominate his candidature.

But it is not just my moral abhorrence of this man that motivates me in writing to His Majesty. According to my duties as His Majesty's servant, I must advise him that this election shall surely receive a cold reception abroad, particularly in regards to those allies that we have so recently obtained by admission to the Holy Alliance. Any indication, however spurious, that the malign elements of the insurrectionist regime are creeping back into power shall be interpreted as a reversal of the grand restoration. Having so recently recovered the confidence of Europe, it would be disappointing were it to be forfeited over such an affair.

As such, I wish to extend to His Majesty my humble considerations on the matter, and how it might best be rectified. It is my opinion
that the election of Monsieur Grégoire be annulled outright. Due cause may be obtained by the president of the electoral college of the Isère Department, or of the Chamber of Deputies, so that some irregularity might be obtained or contrived so as to justify the annulment. Furthermore, new legislation should be adopted so as to present a barrier against the election of such individuals in future, perhaps by the manner that all nominated candidates must undergo vetting by the Ministry of the Interior.

Of course, I am sure that His Majesty shall address this matter in the manner he deems most appropriate and judicious.

I beg to remain His Majesty's most humble and obedient servant,

Marquis de Valence

AN UNWANTED PRESIDENCY

W74HoYH.jpg

To fulfill the king's expectation, and to reassure foreign governments, Decazes resolved to make a sharp turn to the Right. He began to make plans to change the electoral law (driven by his intention to exclude Gregoire) in exactly the opposite direction that it had been pursued under the previous Ministry. But Marmont, who believed by the proposition and expected passage of the relief laws his job was done, wanted no further part in the affairs of Decazes.

Louis XVIII and Decazes sent an emissary to seek out Richeleiu, who was enjoying prolonged vacation in Holland, to beg him to become the President of the Council. When he positively refused, Decazes had to accept the presidency of the council and the full responsibility for the policy he intended to carry out. Louis XVIII thus appointed Decazes as Prime Minister. The left of the party was not pleased, and so Baron-Louis resigned, replaced by the banker Antoine Roy, upon the insistence of the King. De Serre, the brilliant parliamentary architect of the press laws, was made Minister of the Interior.

HIS MAJESTY'S SPEECH FROM THE THRONE
Presented to the Deputies and Peers on the opening of the Session

X6ADnaG.jpg

Messieurs,

The first need of my heart, in finding myself among such gentlemen, is to recognize the benefits that Providence has granted us and those qualities which it allows us to expect for the future.

My family and household has grown of nation and person, and I hope that the wishes that I have formed here will be fulfilled. New structures of my house will become the new bonds of the people.

Our friendly relations with the various states of the two worlds, founded on the intimate union of the sovereigns and on the principle of mutual independence, continue to be the guarantee of a long peace.

By the effect of my negotiations with the Holy See, our first churches are no longer privy to the previous restraints of the false regime; the presence of the bishops in their dioceses will confirm the order in all parts of the ecclesiastical administration; They will spread respect for the new holy religion and the laws of the State. We shall preserve intact the liberties of our Church. I will listen to the wishes of the faithful; I will consult their needs and before you propose the measures for the restoration of the worship of our fathers...

...the liberation of our soil and more favorable times have made it possible to work for the improvement of our finances. I have ordered that the state of public offices, as well as that of the means of succeeding, be placed before you; And I have the satisfaction of informing you that legislative foresight will not have been deceived by urgent and accidental needs. No new credit will be requested for the current year...

Everywhere the loins of peace have found an easy execution, and nowhere has tranquility been reduced to rubble. In these circumstances, and in order better to remove the memory of the evils suffered, I thought I could multiply the acts of clemency and reconciliation. I put no other limits than those which are posed by the national sentiment and the dignity of the crown.

Nevertheless, in the midst of these elements of public prosperity, I have no reason to conceal from myself that just reasons of fear are combined with our hopes, and demand our most serious attention today.

A vague, but real, uneasiness preoccupies all the hopes; Each one now asks for pledges of its duration. The nation imperfectly rejects the first fruits of the legal regime and of peace; She feared to see them snatched away by the violence of the factions; She is alarmed by their ardor for domination; She is frightened at the too clear expression of their designs. All the fears and all the voices imply the necessity of a new guarantee of repose and stability. Credit is waiting for the signal to rise; The trade to extend its speculations. Finally, France, to be sure of herself, to take back among the nations the rank which she must occupy in her interest as well as in theirs, needs to put her constitution at the shelter of all the shocks; More dangerous are they as they become frequently repeated.

In this conviction, I turned to the thoughts that already I wanted to realize, but that had to be ripened by the experience and commanded by the general necessity. Founder of this Charter, to which the destinies of my people and my family are inextricably linked, I have felt that if there is an improvement which these great interests require as well as the maintenance of our liberties, and which would alter only a few, That in order to better ensure its power and its action, it is up to me to propose it.

The time has come to fortify the Chamber of Deputies, and to subtract it from the annual action of the elections, by assuring it a duration more in conformity with the interests of the public order and the external consideration of the State; It will be the complement of my work. More fortunate than other states, it is not in provisional measures, but in the natural development of our institutions, that we shall draw our strength.

It is to the devotion that it is to the energies of the two Chambers that it is by their intimate union with my Government that I should ask for the means of saving the public liberties and strengthening the monarchy though license, and of giving devotion to the the interests secured by the Charter, and obliging the obligations derived therein.

At the same time, we tried to put all our laws in harmony with the constitutional monarchy. You have formerly adopted several which tend towards this beginning; And I have ordered that those which will be secured by individual liberty, the impartiality of judgments, and the regular and faithful administration of the departments and communes, be executed.

Providence has imposed upon me the duty of closing the abyss of revolutions, from my own successors, and to secure, to my country, free, strong and lasting institutions. You gentlemen are associated with this coronation. I beg your cooperation, Messieurs, on my unshakeable firmness, as I count on the assistance of my faithful and loyal peers of France, and loyal deputies and servants of the departments.

Last edited:
W74HoYH.jpg

Decazes: I thank the President, in preparation for petition and draft to His Most Catholic Majesty, for consenting to debate on the annulment of the election of Isère, and the intended interdiction of the Veterans League and all others martial organizations with relation to the previous and illegitimate regime.

((Joint-IC between me and @Sneakyflaps))

It was midsummer, the sun shining proudly upon fair France. The birds were singing, a deer was grazing not far from them as the wonders of the forest, its peace and quiet gave a true serenity. Which was abruptly shattered by the sounds of a gun as Condé shot the deer not far from them. “Do you hunt?” The Prince asked the Comte as he walked forward towards the deer.

The Comte de L’Isle Jourdain was surprised when he got an invitation to meet with the Prince of Condé. Normally the only time the Comte had meetings with the Prince was when the Prince had another order to give him regarding military organization and whatnot. Now here he was, in possibly one of the nicest estates he ever laid eyes on, watching his superior officer gun down a deer. “I was taught, but never actually gone out and done it sir. I have been too focused on my work up here to engage in free-time activities like that. I would enjoy hunting one of these days I suppose.”

The Prince looked at him briefly and gave a short nod, looking at one of the servants who brought the Comte a gun, while Condé himself turned back to the forest, shooting down a bird flying past. “As long as you don't shoot us, I won't tell if you perform horribly.” The Prince chuckled for a moment, “Though a soldier that can't aim is of little use.”

The Comte looked at the musket he was just given, a Modèle 1777. He has seen this musket many times, but this one had the engravings befitting of a nobleman. He remembered shooting it at deer in the woods of England when he was a teenager with his tutor. The Comte’s muscle memory kicked in as he picked up the musket. He saw a bird sitting on a nearby tree branch, and without thinking, aimed and fired at it, dropping it out of the tree. “Still got it…” he thought.

“How do you find the army?” Condé asked, giving the musket to the reloader as they walked forward. “Are you as bored as the rest? Waiting to get a proper command, or do you find it fine to sit in Paris with little to do?” It was quite clear that the Prince himself was not fond of their current situation.

“Perhaps when we get actual soldiers to lead it won’t be a total bore. After that I guess we just wait for the next armed conflict.” said the Comte, reloading his musket. “It lets me see the country though, gives me something to do, even if it is tedious work. It’s either that or sit in the Chamber silent for the next year.” said the Comte.

“Do you fancy a future in the Chamber, you are a peer I know, but I always found those speeches so tedious to sit through. Its an unending cycle of bills, debates and poor comebacks. Not to even begin dealing with the deputies.” The Prince said as he was handed the rifle, reloaded, and stepped into position to take another shot.

“Education bills… infrastructure bills… press laws… it all is a bore. Yet while they dilly on these bills and whether or not the next government survives till tomorrow, people starve. They do not see that what they care about goes against what the rest of the country cares about.” said the Comte. “If I were to give an honest opinion sir, serving in the Army is a much greater service to this country then sitting in that Chamber debating. Yet, one day I may have to put down my sword and do just that…” said the Comte. “I am sure that dealing with Marshal Saint-Cyr and Minister Moncey adds some flavor though?”

“It does add some flavour.” The Prince said quietly as he took aim, taking another shot and downing another bird. “Now for the reason I invited you. I have been told that you are still unmarried, and looking for a wife.”

“In a way, yes…” said the Comte. “Securing the future of the house has been put on my shoulders, and I believe marriage will help further that goal.”

“Then we are both in luck, as I have a young woman whom I owe a favour and I am eager to see married off. Her name is Sophia Dawes, a woman I met in England. She is only 24 years old so I believe that your ages match each other well.” Condé said, somewhat hoping that the Comte knew nothing about her.

The Comte was surprised by this response. An English girl? Perhaps he could get along well with this lady, she does hail from what a place he knows very well. Though, there was one problem. “A commoner? Forgive me sir, but isn’t it a bit taboo in this country for us men of nobility to be marrying commoners?”

“For some, but a lot have lost their standing, reduced to poverty and will soon lose their status among the nobility. Too many of our kind have been devastated by the revolution and if you will forgive me, being a Count does give certain freedoms in this regards that which a Duke would not have.” The Prince responded.

“What can you tell me though about Ms. Dawes? If I am to marry her, what should I expect?” asked the Comte.

Condé nodded as he gave the rifle back to the servant, a leaf being crushed under his booth. “As mentioned she is 24 years of age, she is a beautiful woman, educated and confident and she brings a worthy dowry.”

“I see.” said the Comte. “Sounds like a lady in commoner clothing.” he said as he aimed at another bird. The bird flew away out of his sight, so no shots were fired. “You said a worthy dowry? If she is a commoner I do not see it being a high value. I do admit though that your description of her does sound most appealing as it is sir” said the Comte as he raised his gun at another perched bird.

“Its worthy because I am the one who is paying it.” Condé responded, waiting for the Count to take the shot. “It will be greater than what your own Peers can offer. She wants a proper marriage, a title and a future, and you will receive a big enough dowry to make it worth your time.”

The Comte aimed down at the bird. He was thinking about this whole proposal. If he married a commoner, he may lose prestige in the eyes of the court. However, if what the Prince is saying is true, he could have a great wife from the land he had called home for so long, and possibly a hefty transfer of money into his hands. Also, if the Prince of Condé, his superior in every regard, is offering this girl up, it has to mean something, right? Like Louis-Philippe offering him his commission, he cannot just say no to a request by one of the most powerful men in France. Maybe, just maybe, the benefits of this arrangement could usurp all possible negatives. He focused on the bird, and fired, knocking it right out of the tree in a puff of smoke and feathers. He lowered his gun, and turned to the Prince of Condé. “I accept your offering, sir.”

The Prince smiled happily, “She will be most pleased, and when you tie the knot in the church, you shall be 2 million francs richer.”

Two million francs?!? Thought the Comte, dropping his musket ball upon hearing that. He regained his composure quickly and picked up the ball, putting it into his musket. That was more than some Dukes make in their lifetime! He would have more money than his father and grandfather. The Comte was astonished with that dowry offer, but at the same time he was confused. Who was this commoner girl, and why would the Prince of Condé give two million francs just to see married? “You are most gracious sir, I look forward to the wedding as well.”

“Good, shall we say 3rd of september?” The Prince asked as he took aim once more, his rifle following a bird in the sky which he shot down, the one of the dogs running after it promptly.

“Of course sir, sounds like a good day.” said the Comte.

A very timid Deputy, the one known to be in the pocket of The Worm, coughs loudly after standing up to begin the debate on the new Chief Minister's proposals. Shakily, he produces a sheathe of papers from his valise and passes it forward through the Deputies to the President. He looks like he's about to be thrown in front of a firing squad.

Act On Private Militias
All militias unsanctioned by His Majesty's government are hereby banned from holding public meetings.
A militia is to include all groups of men who gather publicly, armed or unarmed, in uniform or under colors ((flags)).
Specifically interdicted are to be the Veterans' League and all "Verdet" organizations.
This act also authorizes special consideration circumventing the prohibition for veterans in military uniform gathering at official events to celebrate national holidays, as determined by the Ministry of the Interior and local Prefects.
Otherwise, precise determination of guilt in accordance to this law shall be determined by the Ministry of the Interior and local Prefects.​

Last edited:
Chamber of Deputies, Paris.

Monsiuer President,

I must warn you of the words of Decadez. How is the Veteran's League a martial organization? We are not! We have no arms, we have no military organization. True our members still hold military uniforms and ranks, but such is specifically outlined in the Charter is the right of former soldiers and officers in the French Army. I am confused as to why the Excellency Decazes would make such a move to call it a militia as in contrast to the Verdets they are not a violent organization nor do they possess arms. Remember the time it were created when 300.000 men came home and most without their rightful pensions and those in the south being terrorized by real militias. In that regard I believe it kept many veterans in check.

And why are it to be called a militia? Since we have uniforms that is our rights? By that logic wine and urine are the same as they are both liquid - at the same time fundamentally different.

I therefore urge the President and the Deputies to see it for what it is. I tried to assume a compromise, that would ironically strenghten the position of the Council, in order to get us away from the path of conflict. This is said to anger his Excellency Decazes. I ask you to find it in your hearts to see if this is a move to remove a peaceful organization or some sort of personal vendetta.

Thank you that would be all.

@Maxwell500

Addressed to the Most High and Most Puissant Lord The duc de Sully

q9Bt7F5.png

Chavlier,

I write to you at present, having received correspondence from some esteemed gentlemen, regarding the nature and purpose of your organization. I confess myself envious of the brilliance that must have consumed your person by the creation of the
Ordre de Varennes. In my position at court, and renewed connection to my regal brother, I have been told that the Congregation of Rites in Rome intends to prove impossible that execution of my late brother was conducted for reasons of a spiritual disposition. These gentlemen prefer to excuse themselves from true defense of the faith, by putting to end his hopes for canonization, and ignoring, by virtue of divine power, that the prerogatives of power enshrined on monarchs is inseparable from religious outfit. I believed, upon reception of news of your organization, that you would be most suited to execute the defense of his canonization, and by means of the Ordre, act as my ambassador in Rome, and defend the martyrdom that he most assuredly deserves.

Amicalement,
dhMh5OO.png

Last edited:

Ordonnance du Roi sur l'affaire de désignation des chevaliers

The 26th of July, 1819

TAcxDst.png

LOUIS XVIII, By the Grace of God, Most Christian King of France and Navarre; tous ceuz que ces presentes verront, salut.

Nous Avons Ordonne et ordonns ce qui suit:

Guillaume Armand Marie Emmanuel de Chalançon, prince de Polignac, duc de Polignac is hereby inducted into the Ordre de Saint-Michel, and is made a Chevalier of its purpose.
4OvgVO4.gif

Chamber of Deputies, July 1819, Paris, Palais Bourbon
Debate on the proposed outlawing of the Veteran’s League

The Bishop of Montauban was missing none of the debates in the Chamber of Deputies. The political climate of late had taken a turn to the most unexpected. Amidst the rancor of the debates, on the second day of speeches on the issue of outlawing the Veteran’s League, he stood up and was recognized to speak. Silence followed on the ultraroyalist benches, as his word had been expected for some time. He thus spoke firmly, severely and calmly.

“Monsieur le Président,

We are gathered here today to discuss the proposal of the President of the Council, Monsieur Decazes, to outlaw the so called Veteran’s League, a paramilitary organization said to be representing the interests of the soldiers of the rank and the veterans from our past wars.

I would like to first assault this claim, for the Veteran’s League does not seek to represent the interests of all veterans. Indeed, their very own rules exclude the valiant and courageous soldiers who fought in the Army of the Prince of Condé. Must I remember this Chamber than these pious and most loyal men fought for the supremacy of the King and for his rightful cause, at a time where shadows swirled and the words of the Devil gripped even the most honest men’s hearts. Now why, why would an organization so charitable and devoted to the condition of the veteran exclude from its members the most loyal and esteemed defenders of our monarchy? I have asked myself this question many times and never came up with a good reason.

If one is to recall the first actions of this League, one shall see in it the seed of chaos, a chaos who would soon readily engulf or beloved France at the first occasion, the first trial, the first moment of weakness. Was it not this League which marched thousands of ex-soldiers into Toulouse, at a moment of high tension, which resulted in riotous fights and caused the death of many?

Was is not this League, which then assembled thousands of its members in our Capital, under the windows of the Tuileries, in time of famine where the populace was already agitated? A gathering which could have certainly led to the same disastrous result as in Toulouse, had it not been for the extreme vigilance and the most competent leadership of his Highness the Count of Artois, which quickly quelled any bellicose spirit?

If this so called League of Veterans was of such benevolent intent as stated by the Deputy of the Seine, one would also wonder why it did not seek the patronage of a prominent figure of our Monarchy?

Now, I understand that some of the colleagues from the liberal benches will accuse me of conjuring enemies where there are none. But their attacks are blunted by the very fact that, a short time ago, our beloved Basilica of Notre-Dame-de-Paris was defiled by the Tricolor! Bonapartist agents where found and shot, thus proving the existence of a network conspiring for the ruin of the monarchy!

I beseech the members of this Chamber to see the threat that lies into such an organization as the so-called Veteran’s League, which operate outside of royal patronage and mobilizes thousands of military-trained people in our capital. What kind of state would tolerate such a thing?

I shall not make this issue the trial of the Deputy of the Seine, whom I do not suspect to harbor ill feelings for our King. However, I will certainly denounce his naiveté in not seeing how dangerous the organization he is the main promoter of. And I shall certainly ask him to explain words which I found in a letter which was brought to me by a concerned parishioner, in which, the Deputy of the Seine write and I quote: “We will rise up again.”. In the same letter, he also invite his followers to “bring demands”, as a proof that he intend to pressure our King.

The Deputy of the Seine would want to lull this Assembly about the so called Veteran’s league being an army of sheep. But was it not Alexander the Great who said to fear an army of sheep led by a lion? While I will concede to the Deputy that he is certainly of a sheepish nature, I am afraid of the day a lion will yank the reins of his organization and directly challenge the Law and the source of all laws, the King himself.

Let me conclude by saying that all here, are deeply devoted to the situation of our veterans. They are our shield, they protected our homes and families. But the improvement of their condition lies not in a paramilitary militia which induce them into deceit. This is naught but laying the groundwork for a return of a chaotic tyranny which deprived France of so many of her sons.

I shall therefore support the Ministry’s proposal of banning the Veteran’s League.”

@TJDS

Addressed to Monsieur Victor Durand

Monsieur,

I must prelude my correspondence by an offering of condolences to your recent deposition, and ask, out of loyalty to your country, that you pay heed to the opinions of our caucus. Despite the isolation of our faction in the chamber, and the frequent applications of infidelity that is pressed upon our persons, we remain devoted servants of France, and would prefer in all respects to see the energies of our state applied to the improvement of its present condition. In some circumstances these improvements regard the theoretical opposition to unregulated privilege, while in others, they require but the application to practical dilemmas. In the procession of the previous government, you can be assured that our stormy convictions were appeased by the pragmatic programs and deliberative government over which you were undisputed master. I can say that there were none among our ranks who did not feel envious of your abilities, no matter what ill-reception you received in the possession of authority.

It would be no loss, indeed, it would be a great gain, if you were to join the ranks of our caucus, and exert the excellencies of your mind and body to the advancement of our liberal sensibilities. I feel there is little but convention that divides our philosophies, and now, with a scalawag in charge of governance, I am all the more convinced that you would find much happier reception in the company of my colleagues.

Je reste, Monsieur, votre humble Serviteur,

fFOns6i.jpg

(( private: @ThaHoward ))

Mon Capitaine,
it seems inevitable to me that your League shall be banned. Even if the Chamber were to revolt, the King would do in an ordinance. Better that we control the manner . That is why my friends have been supporting the motion to ban both the League and those treacherous green banner gangs of toughs that the Ultras use to commit crimes in broad daylight. But I do not write you to convince you to support the Militia Act.

Instead I propose that you transform your League into something greater. As a Deputy, you are at this point, the subject of Royal intervention, the most prominent man of an open and liberal mind in the Doctrinaire grouping; at a time when Decazes is demanding absolute loyalty from a party that has never been a single faction. And I suspect you have sympathies for your fellow retired soldier, General Lamarque; even if Greggoire wouldn't be the hill you would choose to die on yourself. And his defense of the bishop has made him the most important Independent Liberal at this moment. Men who wait for instruction from Benjamin Constant are going to be lost in this time of turbulence. And said men make a suitable republican bogeyman, representing the far left of the Chamber.

I say that you lead an open revolt of the Deputies, that is to say a political revolt against party leadership, in the Chamber. Split the left of the Doctrinaires and take them to the center of the Chamber and ask Lamarque and his liberal allies to do the same. Let them see the strength of sentiment patriotic Frenchmen command. The deflation of the government's majority in the Chamber will lead to a new election and the chance for your likely modest at first breakaway group to return stronger than the conservative Doctrinaires. After all, you have said before you would rather work with moderate Ultras. Removing an out of touch leadership from power and forcing a two-party government of moderate members of the Left and the Ultra-Royalists would be a boon for France.

- Duval

((@Marschalk))

Addressed to the Most High and Most Puissant Lord The duc de Saint-Aignan

q9Bt7F5.png

Dearest Claude,

It has been too long since you last paid me visit at the Pavilion, and so I found myself confronted with no other option but to write my confession. But before I burden you with business, I must impress upon you a favor, as I was considering taking recess from Paris, before the shower of affairs overwhelmed my daily duties, and find my regal brother determined to occupy Fontainebleau; it would be my intention, with your approval, to take brief residence at your estate in Loir-de-Cher, where I hope to find happier company then is offered in the capital.

Now to the matters of a contemporaneous variety. I find myself exhilarated by recent events; all affairs of late have directed themselves to the most assured improvement of our position, including a rapprochement of sentiments with the King. The change of winds shall compel those of dubious loyalty to make their allegiances known the Crown, and those who have paid homage of word and pen will know our gratitude. Nonetheless, to reveal the unscrupulous among the self-professed subjects of the King, the issues of revelatory controversy will need to be pressed.

I ask you thus to make haste back to Paris, and occupy your seat in the Peers, where I pray that you may coerce your unsavory colleagues, on the topics of these treacherous Napoleonic leagues, and the election of the little Bishop, to declare their devotion or discontent with the present order of things.

Amicalement,
dhMh5OO.png

Voting will close in 13 hours (1 PM), and which point we proceed to a debate time for the issues presented and voting for exclusion.

TAcxDst.png

LOUIS XVIII, By the Grace of God, Most Christian King of France and Navarre; tous ceuz que ces presentes verront, salut.

Nous Avons Ordonne et ordonns ce qui suit:

General Jean-Marie Chagnon is hereby created, by the Grace of God, vicomte de Saint Fulgent, Pair de France, with the respective rights and obligations to his persons and his descendants for all eternity.

Such is our will.
4OvgVO4.gif

Artaud is begrudgingly dragged from his work and to the chamber to vote.

Press Law #1: No
Press Law #2: No
Press Law #3: No
Abolition of Slave Trade: Oui
Law of the Right of Detraction: Abstain
Famine Relief Law: Oui
Budget: No

[Intellectual]
[None]

Press Law #1: Non
Press Law #2: Non
Press Law #3: Non
Law of the Right of Detraction: Je m'en abstenir
Famine Relief Law: Oui
Budget: Non

[Rascal]
[Moi non plus]

Chamber of Deputies, July 1819, Paris, Palais Bourbon
Debate on the proposed outlawing of the Veteran’s League

The Bishop of Montauban was missing none of the debates in the Chamber of Deputies. The political climate of late had taken a turn to the most unexpected. Amidst the rancor of the debates, on the second day of speeches on the issue of outlawing the Veteran’s League, he stood up and was recognized to speak. Silence followed on the ultraroyalist benches, as his word had been expected for some time. He thus spoke firmly, severely and calmly.

“Monsieur le Président,

We are gathered here today to discuss the proposal of the President of the Council, Monsieur Decazes, to outlaw the so called Veteran’s League, a paramilitary organization said to be representing the interests of the soldiers of the rank and the veterans from our past wars.

I would like to first assault this claim, for the Veteran’s League does not seek to represent the interests of all veterans. Indeed, their very own rules exclude the valiant and courageous soldiers who fought in the Army of the Prince of Condé. Must I remember this Chamber than these pious and most loyal men fought for the supremacy of the King and for his rightful cause, at a time where shadows swirled and the words of the Devil gripped even the most honest men’s hearts. Now why, why would an organization so charitable and devoted to the condition of the veteran exclude from its members the most loyal and esteemed defenders of our monarchy? I have asked myself this question many times and never came up with a good reason.

If one is to recall the first actions of this League, one shall see in it the seed of chaos, a chaos who would soon readily engulf or beloved France at the first occasion, the first trial, the first moment of weakness. Was it not this League which marched thousands of ex-soldiers into Toulouse, at a moment of high tension, which resulted in riotous fights and caused the death of many?

Was is not this League, which then assembled thousands of its members in our Capital, under the windows of the Tuileries, in time of famine where the populace was already agitated? A gathering which could have certainly led to the same disastrous result as in Toulouse, had it not been for the extreme vigilance and the most competent leadership of his Highness the Count of Artois, which quickly quelled any bellicose spirit?

If this so called League of Veterans was of such benevolent intent as stated by the Deputy of the Seine, one would also wonder why it did not seek the patronage of a prominent figure of our Monarchy?

Now, I understand that some of the colleagues from the liberal benches will accuse me of conjuring enemies where there are none. But their attacks are blunted by the very fact that, a short time ago, our beloved Basilica of Notre-Dame-de-Paris was defiled by the Tricolor! Bonapartist agents where found and shot, thus proving the existence of a network conspiring for the ruin of the monarchy!

I beseech the members of this Chamber to see the threat that lies into such an organization as the so-called Veteran’s League, which operate outside of royal patronage and mobilizes thousands of military-trained people in our capital. What kind of state would tolerate such a thing?

I shall not make this issue the trial of the Deputy of the Seine, whom I do not suspect to harbor ill feelings for our King. However, I will certainly denounce his naiveté in not seeing how dangerous the organization he is the main promoter of. And I shall certainly ask him to explain words which I found in a letter which was brought to me by a concerned parishioner, in which, the Deputy of the Seine write and I quote: “We will rise up again.”. In the same letter, he also invite his followers to “bring demands”, as a proof that he intend to pressure our King.

The Deputy of the Seine would want to lull this Assembly about the so called Veteran’s league being an army of sheep. But was it not Alexander the Great who said to fear an army of sheep led by a lion? While I will concede to the Deputy that he is certainly of a sheepish nature, I am afraid of the day a lion will yank the reins of his organization and directly challenge the Law and the source of all laws, the King himself.

Let me conclude by saying that all here, are deeply devoted to the situation of our veterans. They are our shield, they protected our homes and families. But the improvement of their condition lies not in a paramilitary militia which induce them into deceit. This is naught but laying the groundwork for a return of a chaotic tyranny which deprived France of so many of her sons.

I shall therefore support the Ministry’s proposal of banning the Veteran’s League.”

Lothaire took the word stood up and looked the Deputies for minutes. Not uttering a word, as one Ultra were to make a protest he opened his mouth in full vigor.

"Monsiuer President,

Paramilitary. Paramitary is the word the Deputy of Gers use. Paramilitary! What make us paramilitary? Nothing! As mentioned earlier we have no militry organization, we have no military structure, we don't have weapons nor any areas where we train and supply for warfare. Those are key areas of paramilitary organizations and the Veteran's League possess none of them. None! It would be as far fetched as to claim that a Monk Order is a Crusader Order. Yes they are both Christian, and yes they are both monk orders. But that is all, most monks don't go out to war or inqustitions. They provide other services. The Veteran's League are indeed composed of former soldiers, but we neither prepare for war or train for war. Our agenda are not revolutionairy in any way. In fact I like to argument that the League itself have prevented such events. Remember 300.000 men came home withou jobs, to violence in Tolouse and no pensions. Many still don't have jobs, still don't get their pensions and are still shunned by society - evident by this very debate. A place where they could come together instead of being isolated. A place where they would be enforced to have moderate views rather than radical ones. A place where they are required to make an oath to our Most Christian King. I ask you, how many other guilds do the same? And if it is to be disbanded, are you ready to ace the consequences that many now are no longer able to live their lives? As many only survive on donations among the membership and the League finances? These still don't get their pensions and are still shunned by society, I'm afraid they will only be radicalised.

Now for the claim that we do not support all veterans. I have seen that argument before, and I have written an objection to it. All veterans are welcome as long as they served under France and can prove it. The Emigrés are just an extension of the Royal Army and as I have said openly before they are welcome to our League. That is just a cheap shot to discredit us.

For Tolouse the League were not not organised then. I only announced to a former Officer in Tolouse I would go to Tolouse to face the death threats of my own. That inspired other veterans and that Officer. But let us not forget. Let us not forget why it happened! Had it happened if the Verdets had not instigated violence then? Had it happened if the Verdet leader ordered his lackeys there? Had it happened if the veterans of Tolouse already got their rights, if they were not faced by terror by the Verdets? And what happened to the Verdets? They were allowed to reign free in the South. Then it shall be noted that the Verdets were pardoned for their actions in Tolouse and the White Terror. Who were first to make such a petition in the Chamber? It was indeed I, even if the Council made the proposal, I were the first among us to actually air that idea. If I wanted hostility in the south, would I then seek peace? And then its the great irony. Great indeed! Nay say and tragic. The Verdets, a real threat. A real terror organization. They are to be pardoned. But a League that possess no dogma of violence and no weapons, nay we are to be disbanded since we are allegedly a paramilitary organization? Hah!

And the Deputy of Gers say to the Liberal bench that he do not conjure up enemies. But then he compare us to those who flew the tricolor on Notre-Dame? Make up your mind! We are peaceful. We are not revolutionary. Again as I have said before, I believe the League have steered many off that path! But now you compare the League to an act it have no affiliation what so ever with! That is indeed to conjure up enemies where there are none.

And how did you get that letter? Thievery? Rise up again, as to show ourself again. Rise up again as Phoenix rise up from the ashes. Rise up as the sun rise from the horizon to the sky after a long cold night.

All the arguments against the League fall on its own unreason. They are claimed to be paramilitary, but we are not. And if you all were so concerned, why did you not bring the issue earlier? Why wait now? Since Decazes make a shift to the right and are angered by my move to still the debate of Gregoire. And I say I did succeed. The debate in the Chamber of Deputies were silenced giving the King and his Council a greater area of operation. And they succeeded. And for this he seek to punish me! This is not about the Veterans. This is about Decazes wanting to control the Doctrinaires himself. And I have been loyal to him for a long time, but I will not stand by this move. And I hope the rational members of the Doctrinaires and the Liberal members see that. I hope his Excellency Decazes will see his error on this small matter and revoke his petition. Let us come together. Liberals, centrist Doctrinaires, liberal Doctrinaires and even moderate Ultras! Let us meet on the Center - as I have said many times before - away from the far left, and away from the far right that Decazes are now bedding with. Let us unite under rational policies and our common patriotic duty to steer this nation forward to prosperity and not to despair and create conlficts along the party lines where there are none. Let us unite!

I will not stand by this, but as I have many times shown that I am willing to compromise. That I am willing to not make enemies and issues where there are none, I will make here a proposal to his most Excellent Decazes and the Council. I am willing to disband the League, but only if the rights of the veterans are secured! If not I will fight here for the League's existance. And I warn you all to think of what might happen to all the Veterans who once more are cast out in the streets, who are once more marginalised by society. Reflect on this case, see it for what it is and don't make rash decisions.

Thank you President, that is all".

Lothaire sat down with his sweat dripping down. He had held a speech for minutes without taking a breat, without drinking from his glass of water and without looking at his papers. He had stood firmly and spoken outloud with the greatest voice he could muster, and now he were to sit down and cool down with his water and cordial talk with the men next to him.

Last edited: