• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Najd run for Sworn Fealty and Jihad achievements:

eu4_3.png

• 6Like
  • 2Love
Reactions:
My 34th EUIV run: Gujarat.

After a wide Mongol Empire, I wanted to have a more relaxing run, focusing on trade and not so much on expansion. It was hard to decide at first do I want to have another run in SEA or India. This time I went for India, but don't be too surprised, if the next one is in SEA again. I also had Bahmanis and Nepal on my mind, but they're quite militarily focused, so I left them for later.

While I didn't have any economical problems in the beginning, I was surrounded by enemies from all sides. Mewar, Malwa, Bahmanis, Vijayanagar - they all desired my land. So in order to avoid getting attacked, I had to make some strong alliances. I allied Sindh and Jaunpur. They helped me in all my initial wars, both to unite Gujarat and to face my rivals. I always attacked Bahmanis and Vijayanagar, when they were distracted or where fighting each other. I usually attacked the strongest one, so the other one doesn't grow too strong. Eventually both of them collapsed into smaller nations and so I couldn't have them as rivals anymore. The only valid option was obviously my ally Jaunpur. Luckily, I was able to replace them with Bengal.
When I had secured my positions and removed any threats from India, I started to expand my influence in Southern Arabia. During that time I also betrayed my ally Sindh and allied with Baluchistan and most importantly, the Ottomans. My alliance with the Ottomans lasted until like 1760s, when the Ottomans declared a military hegemony, since I was an economical hegemon, our alliance broke, but I always kept a diplomat to improve my relations with them, so that they don't turn hostile to me. It succeeded, even though we weren't allies anymore, we were still friendly till the end date.
The next obvious step after South Arabia was the Swahili coast. While it's very valuable, all of that trade was going downstream and it would be a big waste to not get even richer than I already was. So I started to collect in Zanzibar, as well. Basically, I mostly followed the mission tree and though that yeah, it makes kind of sense that Gujarat could have expanded directly in the Indian ocean to secure its trade.

01. Gujarat Empire.png

02. World map.png

03. Score.png
04. Gujarat Empire.png

05. Home region.png

My vassals: Mutapa, Sharjah, Baluchistan, Garha, Ahmednagar and Golkonda.
My allies: Ayutthaya.

Spain is simply huge. They PUed Austria and later on inherited it. Besides that, they also have Poland under a PU. For some reason, Poland and Lithuania didn't from a PU. That allowed Russia to grow strong.

• 4Like
Reactions:
My 34th EUIV run: Gujarat.

After a wide Mongol Empire, I wanted to have a more relaxing run, focusing on trade and not so much on expansion. It was hard to decide at first do I want to have another run in SEA or India. This time I went for India, but don't be too surprised, if the next one is in SEA again. I also had Bahmanis and Nepal on my mind, but they're quite militarily focused, so I left them for later.

While I didn't have any economical problems in the beginning, I was surrounded by enemies from all sides. Mewar, Malwa, Bahmanis, Vijayanagar - they all desired my land. So in order to avoid getting attacked, I had to make some strong alliances. I allied Sindh and Jaunpur. They helped me in all my initial wars, both to unite Gujarat and to face my rivals. I always attacked Bahmanis and Vijayanagar, when they were distracted or where fighting each other. I usually attacked the strongest one, so the other one doesn't grow too strong. Eventually both of them collapsed into smaller nations and so I couldn't have them as rivals anymore. The only valid option was obviously my ally Jaunpur. Luckily, I was able to replace them with Bengal.
When I had secured my positions and removed any threats from India, I started to expand my influence in Southern Arabia. During that time I also betrayed my ally Sindh and allied with Baluchistan and most importantly, the Ottomans. My alliance with the Ottomans lasted until like 1760s, when the Ottomans declared a military hegemony, since I was an economical hegemon, our alliance broke, but I always kept a diplomat to improve my relations with them, so that they don't turn hostile to me. It succeeded, even though we weren't allies anymore, we were still friendly till the end date.
The next obvious step after South Arabia was the Swahili coast. While it's very valuable, all of that trade was going downstream and it would be a big waste to not get even richer than I already was. So I started to collect in Zanzibar, as well. Basically, I mostly followed the mission tree and though that yeah, it makes kind of sense that Gujarat could have expanded directly in the Indian ocean to secure its trade.

View attachment 836991
View attachment 836992
View attachment 836993View attachment 836994
View attachment 836995

My vassals: Mutapa, Sharjah, Baluchistan, Garha, Ahmednagar and Golkonda.
My allies: Ayutthaya.

Spain is simply huge. They PUed Austria and later on inherited it. Besides that, they also have Poland under a PU. For some reason, Poland and Lithuania didn't from a PU. That allowed Russia to grow strong.
Wow I don't think I've ever seen such a large Russia. And that portugal is a beaut.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Finally was able to achieve my Andalusia run. Timmy ate India and actually stopped the Ottomans from expanding after winning a few wars again them. They still super blobbed though lol. Denmark Scandinavia was the Center of Revolution, then Austria deiced the didn't want to be in the HRE anymore and switched to Revolution then started devouring the HRE.

1652410313141.png

The natives did a good job at cleaning house for once they created the USA and Mexico.

1652410434766.png

1652410678612.png

1652421398390.png

• 4Like
Reactions:
Karaman -> Rum for A Hero's Welcome achievement.

eu4_5.png

Two more achievements to follow, once I take Paris, Rome and Moscow. Vassals are Cyprus, Circassia, Kazan, Astrakhan, Gazikumukh and Mazandaran.

• 6Like
Reactions:
First Rome run, started as France. First I kicked the English out and got burgundy, as well as bohemia some time later through claim throne. Then, I followed the mission tree to get PUs over Naples and Spain. Declared on Morocco, who was allied to Ottomans, so that I could leverage Moroccan war exhaustion to get a former Byzantine province. Restored Byz completely, then released Syria and got the holy land. After that, I dismantled HRE during a coalition war and expanded into Italy. I got Commonwealth as a vassal, but they were locked at 100% liberty desire due to dev so I placed my dynasty on their throne and broke vassalage. Then I claimed throne and got PU. After that I just cleaned up and got all the other provinces I needed with a bit extra as well. Took longer than I would have hoped but whatever.

Never went colonial because I felt it was a waste of time and ideas.

1652559528084.png

^Political^

1652559574427.png

^Player^

1652559682561.png

^Revolutionary^

1652559711523.png

1652559723504.png

^Economy^

1652560033967.png

^ Above is the new world. Since I killed all the colonizers early, only S.A. was colonized. Somehow Portuguese Columbia converted to Inti, so when they rebelled they switched to Inca tag. Nobody went for N.A., so it's all federations and tribes.

1652560338861.png

^ Great powers list ^

Since it's only my 4th game, I didn't turn on ironman. However, this was completed with only minimal (as in, everything goes to shit in a massive coalition war) savescumming. No console.

• 9Like
Reactions:
My second attempt at Byzantium, first attempt didn't go too well since I was still learning, Much better this time lol. I'm planning on playing GB and forming Rome maybe.

1652607141935.png

Great Powers list, I got a PU on Russia but they were pretty useless they had 1M troops but never sent anything to help.

1652607363074.png

1652607449098.png

• 4Like
Reactions:
My 35th EUIV run: Taungu.

Since the upcoming Immersion pack focuses on Northern Europe and adds more content to Protestant, Reformat and Anglican religions, I won't be playing in Europe too much until the new update gets released. So I'll mostly stick to Asia and Africa for now. This time I decided to return to one of my favourite regions, Indochina. I wanted to try something in Burma and I picked a pretty challenging start, even though Taungu historically conquered all of Burma and most of Indochina, in 1444 it's still an OPM tributary to the dominant power of Burma, Ava.

My 1st move was an obvious one - I had to conquer Prome. Luckily, they didn't ally any strong neighbours, including Pegu, their only ally was my rival Mong Pai. Before I finished my 1st war, Ayutthaya had invaded Pegu. I couldn't let that opportunity go and when I finished my 1st war, I immediately attacked them, too. Their ally Lan Na didn't join their call to arms and I easily dealt with Pegu remnants and annexed what was left of them. Ayutthaya had taken 2 of their provinces, so I couldn't finish the mission, but still, I had gained some power base and had eliminated another rival. It was actually quite hard to deal with their rebels, because their stacks sometimes were bigger than my army.
When the autonomy had lowered and the revolt risk was basically gone, I was finally able to strengthen my economy and army. I also made an alliance with Lan Xang. For some reason, Lan Xang was doing pretty well, they reduced Dai Viet to an OPM. Their success probably came from the fact that Dai Viet and Ayutthaya weren't allied with each other for some reason, like it usually happens. Anyways, now I had a strong reliable ally and I could attack Ava now. Their only ally was Arakan and we easily defeated them. I took all of Ava's core territory and reduced them to just 3 provinces, 2 of them were former Kale lands.
From this moment I was the dominant power in the Burma region. Now I could go and conquer my neighbouring Shan states and just wait for the truce to end with Arakan and Ava, so I could fully annex them. In my next war, I attacked Arakan, I annexed them and released them as a vassal. I did that so I could get a CB against growing Bengal. I didn't want to wait too long, but they were allied with Ayutthaya, Bahmanis and Delhi. A pretty scary alliance block.
To counter it, I had made an alliance with Jaunpur and Khmer. I attacked, when Bengal was involved in another war, so we could quickly defeat Ayutthaya and then turn all our attention towards India. It was a hard fight, but we managed to overpower Ayutthaya and I took the 2 Pegu provinces that they had previously taken. Now we could strike against Bengal itself, their army was stuck on a fort in Arakan, we barely managed to arrive before the fort falls (had to reload a few times). We weren't able to get a full warscore, but 60% was still good enough and if we had dragged it on for longer, it wouldn't have payed off. In the peace deal I took that Arakan's core back and made them release some countries and return other cores and obviously some $$$, as well. One of the cores I returned was of Tripura. I was able to diplomatically vassalise them and get better positions against Bengal in my future wars against them. Yeah, many hard wars followed, but eventually, I fully annexed both Bengal and Ayutthaya.
When I had finished off my main rivals, I had to turn against my former allies, Lan Xang and Khmer. It was very easy to defeat them, since I had such a strong power base by conquering wast lands in Indochina.
From then on, I slowed down my expansion and just developed my country, while destroying the Mandate of Heaven and weakening my rival Bahmanis. I also had to break my alliance with Jaunpur, because they took some provinces in Bengal. That wasn't a problem though, I easily found another ally in India, Malwa. By the end of the campaign, they had fully annexed Jaunpur.

01. Taungu Empire.png

02. World map.png

03. Score.png

04.Taungu Empire.png

My vassals: Orissa, Pagarruyung, Deli, Malacca, Dai Viet, Yi and Yue.
My allies: Malwa.

I had never seen Japan colonising Siberia before.
Bashkiria has migrated to Siberia. Reminds me of the old EU3 days, when Poland usually ended up somewhere in the steppes lol.
Qing formed by itself, but they got reduced in size by Wu and Korea. Since I had to destroy the Mandate (held by Wu), it was only obvious that I should ally them. So I did and I gained for them all these huge lands for them. When they had reached my vassal lands, guess what, they became hostile and broke the alliance. Such a spit in face.

Last edited:
  • 4Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Knights of the Caribbean, On the Rhodes Again and (finally, after 8600 hours!) We Bled for This; bringing me to 204/334 achievements.

Fun campaign, theocracies are strong! Looking forward to playing the Teutons/Livonians in the upcoming patch now.

pq1zoDS.jpg

5Fj0Wkr.jpg

In my last war against them, the Ottomans preferred eating 5% attrition on their entire army over engaging the much smaller nearby forces. Uh okay.

5kHqt6I.jpgp

Great powers.

Austria (Catholic) and France (Protestant) are both expanding aggressively into the protestant HRE and nobody seems to care. Russia and England have been really passive, dunno why.

Some interesting events:
  • Chile took Lisbon in its independence war.
  • GB never formed
  • AI Siam and Deccan
  • A big federation in the southeast US lost its capital and all their land reverted back to empty. Hence the uncolonized NC/VA/TN area, with some Holland/Scandinavia/Brittany colonies sprinkled on the coast.
  • Castilian Canada sat on 100% liberty desire with 2 nations supporting its independence for 150 years, but never acted on it.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
Japan Playthrough:

One of my first playthroughs, which I somehow forgot and only now rediscovered. Had about 30 minutes to reach the end game date. From what I remmeber, I started as Ashikaga, diplomatically integrated the weaker daymios until I had only one or two powerful vassals left. Broke vassalization and conquered them by force of arms. Then, because Korea was allied to Ming, sat on my thumbs for a century. Took exploration ideas and began the colonization of Siberia. Then Ming imploded and I allied Shun. Concerted attack on Korea gave me a foothold on the mainland, and so I, with the help of my ever growing friends in Shun, launched successive wars against Ming and Korea until I had the current territory. Also colonized the Mollucas at some point.

2ArOqw1.png

However, I must conced that the european AIs were by far better players than I was in this run. Just look at Dulkadir.

• 4Like
Reactions:
Finished another EU4 campaign today, this time, Aragon in Flavor Universalis mod. Focused mainly on establishing dominance over the Mediterranean Sea, following the Aragonese mission tree added by FU, later I also started expanding in Eastern Europe and towards India.

My subjects were: Castile, Portugal and Naples (PUs), as well as Albania, Candar and Theodoro (marches). There are no natives in the new world because I used a self-made mod to remove them.

12a.png

12b.png

12c.png

• 4Like
Reactions:
Finished another EU4 campaign today, this time, Aragon in Flavor Universalis mod. Focused mainly on establishing dominance over the Mediterranean Sea, following the Aragonese mission tree added by FU, later I also started expanding in Eastern Europe and towards India.

My subjects were: Castile, Portugal and Naples (PUs), as well as Albania, Candar and Theodoro (marches). There are no natives in the new world because I used a self-made mod to remove them.

View attachment 840464
View attachment 840465
View attachment 840466
What map mod?

My 36th EUIV run: Wagadugu -> Mossi.

While I already have had Mali and Songhai runs in West Africa, I decided to go for a less popular, but as much interesting, Mossi run. While Mali (before EUIV's timeline) and Songhai were the historical victors in the region, Mossi kingdoms, while important and strong, didn't manage to unite and dominate West Africa. So, this run focused on uniting the Mossi kingdoms under one banner and defeating other powers of West Africa, including the rising Songhai Empire. Now, instead of Muslim dominated West Africa, Fetishist Mossi had risen and turned the tide. Since, historically, Mossi were kind of tolerant to Muslims, even though they had to fight for their survival against them, I chose Humanist ideas and didn't convert their provinces that I directly controlled.

But yeah, my economy was incredibly weak in the beginning, my monarch point gain was very slow and I hadn't even embraced Feudalism! While that wasn't a big problem for Mali and Songhai, because they could get Feudalism in their capitals with their missions, it wasn't the same case with Mossi. I had to dev it up, I only caught up in tech in early 1500s. That made me lag behind other world powers and it took me some time until I became a Great Power, even though I united the Mossi Kingdoms in less than 10 years.
I also didn't have to struggle against Songhai. They got involved in a war with Timbuktu and their allies, while their pretender rebels wreaked havoc all over their country, they had 0 units. I easily managed to conquer Gao and 2 more provinces in my 1st war, that totally crippled them. It was much harder to fight against Timbuktu and their allies, but I still prevailed. After that, I didn't really have any threats in the region and I easily dominated West Africa from then. The only threats later came from Spain and Portugal, but I managed to deal with them, as well. My ally Mutapa helped a lot and I fed them all South Africa. In 1813 they even formed Zimbabwe.

01. Mossi Empire.png

02. World map.png

03. Score.png

04. Mossi Empire.png

My vassals: Joloj, Kaabu, Ashanti,, Air, Kanem Bornu and Ndongo.
My allies: Zimbabwe (formed in 1813) and Brazil.

Ottomans allied with Karaman and Aq Qoyunlu, blocking their own expansion, but even with that, the Ottomans still conquered the Mamluks.
France is under a Savoyard PU.
The Commonwealth just went berserk in HRE.

• 4Like
Reactions:
Played as dictatorship Milan for a perhaps more accurate Roman Empire. Been a while since I played late game eu4, so I never had the "pleasure" to control 4 million troops lol.

Europa Universalis IV 2022.05.25 - 19.02.54.01.png

• 10Like
Reactions:
My 37th EUIV run: Timurids.

While the Timurid Empire lacks a proper mission tree and it was a big pain fabricating claims everywhere until the Imperialism CB appeared, it was still a very nice run.

My initial goal was to make my vassals loyal and subdue Ajam, or at least reduce it in size to a few provinces only. I managed to do the latter, otherwise I would have gotten Luristan and Ardalan as vassals, it was already hard to deal with the existing ones, let alone new ones. The most important thing was that I had to keep Shah Rukh alive until I could finish my war with Ajam, otherwise all my vassals would become disloyal and stop supporting me. Their help was very crucial, because I had to spare my own forces as much as I could, so their liberty desire wouldn't become uncontrollable. Well, I managed to drag Shah Rukh's life until 1450 or so and since I had regained most of my cores from Ajam, all of my vassals stayed loyal even after his death. I could even direct their trade power to me, except for Transoxiania's, of course. When 1454 came, I could finally start annexing my vassals. I freed up all of my diplomats and started with the strongest ones, that being Transoxiania, Khorasan and Fars. Afghanistan and Sistan followed straight afterwards.
After annexing my vassals and dealing with Ajam, I expected to get permanent claims on Mesopotamia, but no, I had to fabricate them instead. That also made me make some new vassals diplomatically, Biapas, Aq Qoyunlu (after they lost some provinces to the Ottomans) and Ardalan, when I had fully annexed Ajam. After conquering Qara Qoyunlu and annexing Georgia, I was already over governing capacity, so I had to rely on vassals even more. I couldn't sit idly either, the Ottomans were quite strong already, they would eat up the Mamluks and expand into Russia. Luckily, Dulkadir was still around, left with 2 provinces and OPM Candar, as well. I made them as vassals and allied Austria. Now the Ottomans had no chance against our combined forces, I fed my vassals with Ottoman lands in Anatolia, while making them release some countries, as well, most notably Byzantium. After a few wars, the Ottomans were weakened enough that the Commonwealth dared to attack them, they were allied with Byzantium and they gave them Constantinople.
At 1st, I just wanted to recreate Timur's borders. But after looking at some maps and doing some further research, I decided to surpass Timur himself and annex the lands he had some influence in and the ones he frequently raided.
Like with the Mongol Empire, I became a military hegemon, instead of an economical one. I think it's more fitting for the Timurid military nature. I have yet to select Naval hegemony though. I'll surely pick it, whenever I get around to do England->Great Britain run, but that's with 1.34 the soonest.

01. Timurid Empire.png

02. World map.png

03. Score.png

04. Timurid Empire.png

My vassals: Kazan, Sibir, Chagatai, Gujarat, Haasa, Yemen.
My client states: Misr.
My tributaries: Buryatia, Tibet (I got them, when I annexed Yarkand).
My allies: Scandinavia (formed by Denmark) and Austria.

I was allied with Novgorod, as well, but I overfed them with PLC's and Muscovy's lands and they formed Russia.

• 6Like
Reactions:
My 37th EUIV run: Timurids.

While the Timurid Empire lacks a proper mission tree and it was a big pain fabricating claims everywhere until the Imperialism CB appeared, it was still a very nice run.

My initial goal was to make my vassals loyal and subdue Ajam, or at least reduce it in size to a few provinces only. I managed to do the latter, otherwise I would have gotten Luristan and Ardalan as vassals, it was already hard to deal with the existing ones, let alone new ones. The most important thing was that I had to keep Shah Rukh alive until I could finish my war with Ajam, otherwise all my vassals would become disloyal and stop supporting me. Their help was very crucial, because I had to spare my own forces as much as I could, so their liberty desire wouldn't become uncontrollable. Well, I managed to drag Shah Rukh's life until 1450 or so and since I had regained most of my cores from Ajam, all of my vassals stayed loyal even after his death. I could even direct their trade power to me, except for Transoxiania's, of course. When 1454 came, I could finally start annexing my vassals. I freed up all of my diplomats and started with the strongest ones, that being Transoxiania, Khorasan and Fars. Afghanistan and Sistan followed straight afterwards.
After annexing my vassals and dealing with Ajam, I expected to get permanent claims on Mesopotamia, but no, I had to fabricate them instead. That also made me make some new vassals diplomatically, Biapas, Aq Qoyunlu (after they lost some provinces to the Ottomans) and Ardalan, when I had fully annexed Ajam. After conquering Qara Qoyunlu and annexing Georgia, I was already over governing capacity, so I had to rely on vassals even more. I couldn't sit idly either, the Ottomans were quite strong already, they would eat up the Mamluks and expand into Russia. Luckily, Dulkadir was still around, left with 2 provinces and OPM Candar, as well. I made them as vassals and allied Austria. Now the Ottomans had no chance against our combined forces, I fed my vassals with Ottoman lands in Anatolia, while making them release some countries, as well, most notably Byzantium. After a few wars, the Ottomans were weakened enough that the Commonwealth dared to attack them, they were allied with Byzantium and they gave them Constantinople.
At 1st, I just wanted to recreate Timur's borders. But after looking at some maps and doing some further research, I decided to surpass Timur himself and annex the lands he had some influence in and the ones he frequently raided.
Like with the Mongol Empire, I became a military hegemon, instead of an economical one. I think it's more fitting for the Timurid military nature. I have yet to select Naval hegemony though. I'll surely pick it, whenever I get around to do England->Great Britain run, but that's with 1.34 the soonest.

View attachment 843940
View attachment 843941
View attachment 843942
View attachment 843943
My vassals: Kazan, Sibir, Chagatai, Gujarat, Haasa, Yemen.
My client states: Misr.
My tributaries: Buryatia, Tibet (I got them, when I annexed Yarkand).
My allies: Scandinavia (formed by Denmark) and Austria.

I was allied with Novgorod, as well, but I overfed them with PLC's and Muscovy's lands and they formed Russia.
After this Scandinavian-Baltic DLC, the middle east should get some love with something like Mamlucks, Timurids, and the Arabian tags.

Reactions: