• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hey there!

I wanted to start a nice laid-back Austria game with only managing the HRE countries, no conquest/expansion whatever, and i had the craziest of games so far!

First off, Hungary with the event got the Habsburg heir - thats usual, but then:
France had an Interregnum and produced a Habsburg king.
Spain went under a PU with England, but i contested it - and after a long bloody drag - i managed to secure the Spain PU for myself.
Muscovy lost her heir, the king was young, 35 or so years old, but i tossed a RM anyway... a month later the king died and i got Muscovy in a PU (Lithuania contested it, but it was crushed swiftly)
I supported my heir on the polish throne and after a few wins, Poland dropped the elective monarchy and became a kingdom with the Habsburg king.
Poland spread Habsburgs to Lithuania (my rival, so i couldn't RM them)
Portugal's king was old, i RMed them, the Marriage Policy Pays off event fired, got a Habsburg heir for their throne.
Used the event to claim Hungary's throne.
Lihtuania dropped rivalry, i RM-ed them, then claimed the throne soon after.
Claimed Poland's throne too.
In a war with Great Britain, i made them release Scotland. I wanted to diplo vassalize Scotland, but i got them in a PU instead. Their king was young, 35 or so, just like Muscovy's.
Portugal's king died heirless at the age of 60+, France backed off, (not that he have had a chance anyway after i revoked privilegia :)), i got the PU.

Right now i have 7 PUs, except Great Britain and France i have all major European thrones.
France was my ally all along, but after i got Portugal they became hostile, then rival :( Maybe the AI figured out that i want France under my PU as well :D On a serious note, i have no idea why France dropped alliance at 180+ opinion... they had a mission in Bengal, but none of my subjects were even close to India.

View attachment 132471

I also had some fun with the new place heir on vassal's throne button:

View attachment 132477

I'm hesitant if i shall integrate Scotland / Hungary / form HRE to have a shot at inheriting Spain or Muscovy... the map would look a lot better but it feels so good to have all these minions to do the dirty work for me :D

Lucky game! Because the lucky nations have +25% chance to get a new heir. And.. that Brandenburg!!

iq3NE71.png

Playing as Brandenburg. Going to try and unite all German cultured areas. Only exceptions will be Hansa and The Netherlands which I intend to be my vassals. Hansa is already my vassal now, I'll let them take care of any trade while letting them boost goods produced. They already started eating into Denmark so I just went with it. Poland is my loyal ally however they own Prussia so conflict in inevitable, problem beeing that Lithuania is under a personal union. Austria also has Hungary under a personal union but luckilly we could vote Hesse to be the emperor. Didn't stop Austria from manfighting and beating France though. Once the Netherlands show up I will vassalise them and let them handle the colonisation.

Lucca is lucky and stronk!

b1yZHKP.jpg

Lucky Lucca in 1556 I forgot to take screenshots at this time because busy farming here and there.

Luccan territory in Europe 1571

cEilcBy.jpg

Milan was my faithful allies for hundreds years but I had to claim their lands to make nicelooking border - I am still waiting for truce. My first vassal is Provence I gained through diplo-vassalization. I set national focus on adm and choose adm rulers for hundred years to all core Italy by myself. But it is still doable in 1.12 I am keeping adm tech up and finished admin and religious ideas on top of all coring.

Lucca in the world

LGUFuWe.jpg

My trade power in Genoa and Seville is something like 70-30 percents. So I focus on gold prroducing areas to maximize early colonization benefits. I robbed Porto and Lisboa when Portugal got stomped by Morroco and Mali but didn't have spare armies and manpower for going after Spain.

Another Sixty years war between France and England.

uzQLgqA.jpg

Yeah France dow'd on England but wargoal target is stolen by Castile-Burgundy. It left 60 years of cold war between two but it never ended. This really ruined my game. France England locked down by cold war so couldn't join coalition against Burgundy. I expected more blobbing France to deal with but meh.. BBB is gone in this run.

My idea is admin to core all territories- exploration to open the way to india- religious for free cbs and stabs. My first moves was saving up admin and mili buts spending all dip on Lucca - cloth provinces. It really helps in very early incomes plus building ships later on because it was only 0% autonomy provinces for decades. I managed to ally with Papal and Milan. Then I take Siena and Ferra then Papal broke alliance but I should wait and see Tuscany take all papal provinces due to aes. But I managed to have Genoa, Naples allied annexed Tuscany in 2 wars. Then it is smooth conquest here and there to solidify position in Italy. Shadow kingdom popped up but that was the year later I full annexed Venice so I left HRE to avoid coalition. Austria who pu'd hungary really early was good ally but all france milan poland lithuania rival'd so backstabbed it and take over Tirol too. This is it then France and England locked down. I want to finish achievement anyways so I did it but I will leave this run because no active France equals boring.

Eastern Roman(-ian) Empire
Nothing too spectacular blobbing-wise, but after having suffered a humiliating setbacking defeat in 1610ish and having to cede 1/4 of the country back to Ottos and Hungary, former Dracula motherland took its revenge and vassalized then annexed Ottomans and has Hungary as a junior PU member. Constantinople is the capital of course, could culture shift to Turkish, but decided against it. Note almost invisible border with my best buddies Ryazan.
View attachment 132500
Italy? Why not Romanian?

Lucky game! Because the lucky nations have +25% chance to get a new heir. And.. that Brandenburg!!
Cheers, indeed it was lucky! Too bad i couldn't get GB and France under my PU :p

I decided to intergrate everything (except for Spain; they hated me for annexing most of France), also formed the HRE. Here is my empire in the end:

2015-07-15_00008.jpg

This was my first time playing a Western Hemisphere country. For a little extra challenge, I started as Quito.

A Sun God.

There was a huge Spanish Brazil I couldn't do anything about and I was scared of fighting them and a huge Spain (they had 5 huge colonial nations) at the same time despite having a lot of heavies. So I supported their independence first and then slowly chipped away at them.

uSovTo8.jpg

Last edited:
Only exceptions will be Hansa and The Netherlands which I intend to be my vassals. Hansa is already my vassal now, I'll let them take care of any trade while letting them boost goods produced.
Heresy!

No really, why? Dominating Lübeck is far more profitable than a few goods produced modifiers in provinces with trade goods like Fish and Grain.

1.12 Poland -> Commonwealth with Moldavia, Georgia, and Cyprus as Marches. Cyprus has such an awesome color. Catholicism reigns supreme as it should (even in Mecca lol).
6FBDFFCC562CAD4F8D9F0A6122ECF5E1095A59BD

CB64F297116C486349C0C899174270A75538E2A9

6B704AAB75D941330386C6729A552CF04DE0EA55

1.12 Milan -> Italy. Seriously abused HRE mechanics with religion. All CoR spawned within HRE but I didn't declare religious war so that Catholicism became permanent religion of HRE even though there wasn't one Catholic province in all of it. Catholic France and Poland passing around emperorship until Poland got it permanently once all electors converted. Interestingly enough, I force converted Poland to Protestantism while it was the hereditary emperor in a Catholic empire, but it retained emperorship. Poland was later fully annexed by someone so the empire was destroyed. Might finish this campaign by beating up France more.
5F34065AF42871F3010290CBEE09050FED43E518

The strange hereditary emperorship in an officially Catholic empire, yet Poland is protestant because of force conversion.
D4F28EE2E57FB43D0646906F52F8574D344C410A

Empire no more. You can see I control the Italian region, parts of the Balkans, Switzerland, southern Bavaria and Austria, and parts of southeastern France. I have an impenetrable defensive line in the Alps. Guyenne is my vassal.
7B73961203CF14A4FC1F32D89260397363F85D1B

1.13 Brunswick -> Hannover. I decided against Westphalia because I think Hannover has a cool flag. Had to leave the empire to form Hannover because of no electorate. Very fun game. I tried to play tall, but I ended up blobbing in Europe in the last 60 years with the nationalism CB after I vassalized Saxony. I was more or less a colonizing Prussia b/c I had super soldiers (Quantity, Defensive, Quality, Religious for policies). Got smacked around a bit early on. Manpower is extremely tight in 1.13. I never use mercenaries much, but I might start supplementing with merc infantry next game. I started losing 14,000 infantry in big battles towards the end of the game- that kills manpower. I made crazy ducats from trade and production. Close to 725 income by endgame with +390ish per month.

Early on before I became Hannover. Scandinavia helped me a while before turning hostile. Brunswick has such a great flag.
BC5AEB821B66A3442D722CD15D6A5937A886308C

That's OPM Ferrara destroying Commonwealth with a coalition consisting of me, Scandinavia, and Bohemia. I had forced Scandinavia to release Norway earlier.
0F6D432209955BD3EAFAE31BACE4DE26B760857C

My CNs in North America: New Brunswick, New Hannover, New Lubeck, New Hamburg, and New Saxony. I dominate Canada and the Caribbean (brown from Brunswick). I have a presence in NE America, West Louisiana, and Guatemala.
1C207F17B220B095285371B97DA338F985B6D220

SA and Africa. I own the Congo region. Castilian Brazil is actually independent, the other Brazil is a former Breton colony.
9F277E68503DDAA5C59E6D213D8526E142EFE6E3

Asia. The Jewel of the Emperor's crown: Hanoverian India. Ming is scary in this game. Would have been fun to beat them up along with Malwa.
5E31F34B937D9DA92BE7457305689D152E4A7FC0

Oceania/SE Asia is a mess. I control the central Philippines and part of the Moulaccas. Strong independent Australia (formerly Portugal CN).
B4D462DB9F3A543DB1A209A855D531FBA33E488C

70D75FEA46E3B0E2610240C64F0B80CEA0D41159

Reactions:
My finished Holland>Netherlands game. I had a ton of fun with this game, and I got a lot of achievements out of it as well. I got Je Maintiendrai, which was the main goal of the run, I got Sinaasappel!, Trade Hegemon, Four for Trade, No pirates in my Caribbean Market control, At every continent, as well as Guarantor of Peace. It was fun starting out as a two province minor under burgundy and eventually snowballing into he main force behind the protestant league leading it to victory in my first league war and eventually becoming the super power of the world.
eu4_map_HOL_1505_10_26_1.png
Early on I was shocked to find that France had been wiped of the map by Britain, Burgundy, Brittany, and Provence. Provence would eventually take control of most of the territory and form France round the 1700s. Though they were quite weak.
eu4_map_NED_1792_07_17_3.png

The world in 1792. Spain PU'd Portugal and integrated them pretty early on allowing them to dominate the Americas, I managed to conquer Caribas in one war before Portugal fell under the union under Spain who was my Ally, allowing me to fully control the Caribbean. Most of my conquests came in Asia, originally I had decided to make a historical Dutch empire, but that was thrown out the window quickly. The Riches of Asia allowed me to have the largest Army and Force Limit as well as maintain it and the largest Navy. Russia collapsed to Rebels, as usual.
eu4_map_NED_1792_07_17_2.png

The Reformation was very successful, Due to this(as well as Polish and Spanish intervention) I was able to win the league war. Reformed was originally very strong, but died down towards the end.
eu4_map_NED_1792_07_17_1.png
My Nation and my vassals.
TL;DR: Holland is a fun nation. Good Game. Many Achievements.

Reactions:
2B137ED2DC532C49BF21C050F13CDFA5358FA781

Maybe I can finally hit 1001+. I need to start pushing towards India

I am Orthodox and capital is in Cyprus and just Westernized off Danizg
Please culture shift to Greek, take an appropriate decision and Murder your entire royal family:D
My eyes are going for a walk now, because those borders are really painful.

1.12 Commonwealth. Lazy speed 4 map painting, especially in the 18th century, but 100% accepted cultures across Eurasia:

igD1Sj0.jpg

Reactions:
I guess this will be the first Pagarruyung game around, so here it goes. 1.12, played a bit more slowly, a colonial game with not much conquest. I also didn't westernize.

Things I learned:
1. The Malacca trade node is very rich, especially if you can "steal" the Chinese trade. Well, it's not actually news to me, but I confirmed it.
2. The new Ming is really a powerhouse if it doesn't fall apart. It became a pain starting around 1600 and my decision to not blob only reinforced this. I never thought I'd see the day in EU4 where I'd look forward to Muscovy/Russia colonizing toward Asia and never see it. Bonus picture:
qj2GLhL.jpg

Anyway, this was my kingdom (I couldn't become an empire because later on I didn't fight a lot and my prestige tanked :( ):
sqcWLFL.jpg

And all the South Pacific Islands up to the Galapagos, plus 1 CN:
cgg9O4X.jpg

I tried to stay Buddhist but the -10% discipline was too painful so I turned Sunni ASAP:
CwSpH7v.jpg

A sort of world ranking, considering my minimal intervention outside of SE Asia:
9M5ZIa8.jpg

And the end-game screenshot:
omxyxgQ.jpg

I'm very glad that in 1.13 the starting tech level for Indians and Chinese is going to be 3 instead of 2, as it was quite painful early game (on top of several failed wars against Siak and Patani).

I was too cocky in attacking Urbino :( It all went well until Hungary, Urbino's main ally marched 40k stack down to southern Italy. From then it all went to hell, ending up in me offering unconditional surrender, resulting in Sicily and Apulia being force-released out of my former domain.

But South Shall Rise again!

dBTVFo4.jpg

My first 1.13 (beta) game! Turned into a Prester John run too, 'cause why not.

sl2lwo.jpg

And religion map too, because Christian supremacy:

2nsqk3n.jpg

This run was so much more fun than I was anticipating. I was able to subjugate the entire Horn of Africa before 1500, which was great. Then the Ottomans attack the Mamluks, and while they still had more guys than I, I took a gamble - and within thirty years or so, I had all of Egypt.

And so began a 200 year cold war between myself and the Ottomans.

I played restrictively, so I only expanded a little into Arabia at the time. I was able to finally beat the Ottomans through an alliance with the Commonwealth and Austria, who both became my friends for the rest of the game. They were also allied with each other (and Croatia) for the entire game, so the entire Balkans region was fairly peaceful. I didn't start moving into Africa until the 1700s. Didn't even have a colonist until my sixth idea group, and I only used it in the Sahara.

My last war ended in 1814, and as a result France can be seen sliding into a pit of despair at the end here, as all of their neighbours took the opportunity to pounce. I own every piece of Africa (including all the stray islands), all of the Middle East up to the Persian regions, the southern Caucasus, Anatolia, and modern Greece. Because pretty borders.

I ended the game at level 29 Admin tech, having only completed one Admin Idea Group. Coring costs are a pain, but definitely reasonable... the fact that I was able to core an entire continent says a lot, I think.

2zojb6h.jpg

Some things of note include: (1) Austria is a Bureaucratic republic, (2) Ten provinces within the HRE have > 50 development, (3) Nearly every colonial nation achieved independence, (4) that itty bitty Papal State can field 150,000 soldiers, and (5) yes, that is Mexican Korea. Mexico and Louisiana became obsessed with Imperialism wars against Japan for the last fifty years or so. I was really surprised when one succeeded.

Oh, and I nearly forgot to include a map of Europe, so here:

6hhzpw.jpg

Reactions: