• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

SaphireSeas

High Admiral of the Stars
65 Badges
May 14, 2015
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Victoria 2
New Zealand's Representation in EUIV is currently far from flattering. Though I realise that it was never colonised or indeed invaded at all during the time period, The current mechanics mean that by 1820, the entire Continent of Zealandia is under the control of some nation, be it Tidore, Brunei, the Ottomans, Spain, the Netherlands or England. In a region of New Zealand's Topographic diversity I feel EU4 does not do New Zealand Justice. Here's Why:
1. It has no Colonial Region
2. The provincial borders (and capitals) are Arbitrary and Nonsensical in places
3. Some Province Names do not reflect the necessary regions, but rather the names for relatively large European Settlements in the regions

1. No Colonial Region
Why does New Zealand deserve a colonial region? It is small, Insignificant, was not colonised in the timespan of EUIV, and there are seemingly far more deserving candidates for this honour.

New Zealand deserves a colonial region because:
  • It is to far by sea for Australia to be governed effectively, and was never under Australian control. I will note that New south wales did lay claim to the Islands, but this was never very functional, as 2000km of sea lies between the two Continents. In 1841, long before major Colonisation of New Zealand had begun, It was Independent from New south Wales, and by extension Australia
  • Though New Zealand was not Colonised in the time period, It almost always is in game, and thus the "it would be ahistorical argument" doesn't work for me. I believe the reverse is true - it is ahistoric for New Zealand Not to have a colonial region
  • Because of New Zealand's isolation, It is more deserving of a colonial region. that's not to say Guyana, Chile and other Colonial regions are not more deserving for EU, but it's utterly insane that the Islands are labeled as Australia(I must admit, I'm a little annoyed about it myself).
However, a great complaint about small Colonial Regions is they are easily conquered, or they never gain independence. I would point out New Zealand gained independence from Britain by the statute of Westminster, and it was not happy about it. It makes sense for a pathetic Island chain like New Zealand not to seek independence unless it's overlord is being stupid.
Another complaint is that the small regions are difficult to gain a merchant from. New Zealand currently has eight provinces, and so would be not eligible for that, but why do all regions need to offer that merchant?
the Australian Trade Zone reaches Europe through Malacca, not South America. As can be seen below, I believe New Zealand needs two more provinces, at most three, to model the area accurately.

I propose the name of the colonial region to be Colonial Zealandia to fit in with the likes of Columbia, Colombia, Australia, Louisiana, Canada, and La Plata. This has the Benefit of not being restrictively English or Dutch by giving the region a Latinised Name

2. Province Issues.
1106 Whangarei - This Province Nicely maps the Entire Northland Region, with it's capital at Whangarei. There are no issues with this Province, although I would inculde Auckland to make it more comparable in size than the other regions. But Niether it's port nor it's city is actually at Whangarei.
1107 Taranaki - This Province is a mix of strangeness trying to encompass Taranaki, Whanganui, the Manuwatu and Wellinton. the region is simply too spread out, and looks a little comical. Otherwise, this province is fine.
1108 Tauranga - As a province, this one works fine - except for the obvious Waikato River running along the east edge.
2737 Ahuriri - The Hawke's Bay region is bent out of shape by the addition of the Wairarapa region. The port is far south of Hawkes bay along the rugged Wairarapa coast, rather than at the Hawke's bay city of Napier, which this province takes it's name.
2739 Kirikiriroa - Named after Hamilton, a township that does not exist at this stage, this province encompasses the Coramandel peninsula, and the Western half of the Waikato.

1109 Timaru - Otago and South Canterbury. This Province is "Mountains" to represent Otago and the Southern Alps, rather than Plains to represent the South Canterbury plains. If I was told I could make one alteration to the map alone, It would be to split Timaru apart.
1246 Waihopai - This Province is Fine, except it rather agrivatingly only consists of Southland.
2738 Waitaha - Northern Canterbury and Marlborugh, and the northern half of the West coast. This province is One of the worst offenders, as it splits the low-lying Canterbury plains in two.

In order to rectify my Issues, I propose several different options for a Provincial reshape, including maintaining the current number of Provinces, and adding One province to each Island.

This is New Zealand Currently:
V8FYASb.png

5 Provinces on the North Island and 3 in the South.
While maintaining Province Count
In all of these, Southland and Otago are United and Auckland is part of Northland. The Waikato has been expanded to include the Fertile Bay of Plenty as to show the full extent of the fertile Northern Region.
My preferred South Island, with North Island:
fDHfXzc.png

This south Island Brings the Canterbury Plains in, and has Westland and the Nelson-Golden Bay region as part of a Province which represents the Sharp divide of the South Island, Practically Following the Alpine Fault from Fiordland to the Pacific Coast. Southland and otago have been combined.
In the North Island, the Hawkes bay province(Ahuriri) makes way for a Wellington-style Region(Hills), and the Bay of Plenty region is exchanged for an East Cape/Hawke's bay Region.

h1FuRvv.png

This swaps the West cost into Canterbury to continue the current divide of the Island into three sections North to south. It may seem lopsided to the Canterbury Plains, But most of the western side is mountainous and inaccessible.
in the North Island, I have Swapped the Hawke's bay into the Wellington region, as this more closely maps the Hawke's Bay's flat nature.
Addition of one Province to each Island
I realise that kicking New Zealand up to ten Provinces is a stretch, but The Islands' Political, Geographical and topographical boundaries are Much better represented by this addition.
OrzSRMy.png

If this was the Final out put of EU4's map for New Zealand I would Be Delighted.
North island, from North:
Tokerau: (Whangarei) grasslands, High population of Maori, includes Auckland
Waikato: (Kirikiroa) the Waikato, Bay of Plenty and the Coromandel. the Coromandel is the only seriously hilly area due to the exclusion of the King Country.
Urewera: East cape, and successor to Tauranga(though no longer Contains it) It models the Urewera region and the east cape. Natives would be very aggressive(the Tuhoe).
Taranaki: (Itself) Including the King Country and the Taupo Region, this area, excluding the coastal Taranaki area is Fairly barren and Forested at this stage.
Heretauga: (Ahuriri): Hawke's Bay, and first sighting of James Cook
Whanganui: (New Province) Including the Wairarapa, Wellington and Whanganui Regions, this province is named after Wellington and the Whanganui parts of it, as the Maori Name for the wellington Harbour is Te Whanganui a Tara. This splits North Zealandia into six relatively equal areas, most of which easily deserve a province.
I think the East Cape Urewera could use some tweaking, but not at the expense of the inclusion of the Bay of plenty or the Hawke's Bay Proper.
South Island, from North:
Arapawa: Marlborough/Nelson, Part of the old Waitaha province. Highland due to the Marlborough Sounds, Blenheim and Kaikora areas, which make up the East coast.
Aoraki: (New Province) The West Coast, named after Aoraki/Mount Cook, because is also represents the Southern Alps. Could also be named Tiritiri o te Moana(the southern Alps) or Poutini(Te Tai Poutini). Mountainous region.
Waitaha: (Mostly the Old Timaru) The Canterbury Plains
Murihiku: (Waihopai) Otago/Southland Highland because of Fiordland, Otago, the Catlins.....
If one was to be super picky, Stuart Island would be added of the south coast of this Province, (And part of it)

Finally, another central province could be added around Lake Taupo, But I do not think that is necessary.

3. Name Alteration Suggestions:
Even if the Map is not changed, these Province Name changes would be greatly appreciated:
Te Ika a Maui
- North Island
1106 Whangarei - Whangarei, Township in Northland Could be better named: Te Tai Tokerau
1107 Taranaki - Maori Name of Mt Egmont/Taranaki. Accurate Name
1108 Tauranga - Name of Tauranga, the Bay of Plenty's largest city: Te Moana-a-Toi the Maori Name for the bay, would be a more acceptable Alternative
2737 Ahuriri - Name for Napier, one of Hawke's Bay's largest towns: Heretaunga would be a better Name
2739 Kirikiriroa - Maori Name for Hamilton. However, the entire region is refered to historically and today as the Waikato
Te Waipounamu - South Island
1109 Timaru - A weird mix of Otago and South Canterbury, including Christchurch. I propose this becomes Waitaha, with the Alteration of the borders.
1246 Waihopai - The Southland Region, Should be renamed Murihiku, A Maori Name for the Region of the South Island below the Waitaki River, Including both Otago and Southland.
2738 Waitaha - Marbourgh and Nelson. I propose: Te Arapawa, which I have been told is the Maori name for the area

Note that some of these names are Archaic, but that is what I was searching For(If there are any one who has better ideas for Maori names for these regions, please speak up.

What should not be done to New Zealand:
The addition of any independent natives - Maori society at this early stage was not the warrior focused hierarchy it would become when resources run out. In 1444, It is still possible that Moa were in existence in Zealandia, and until resources began to run thin, there was no need to form the psuedo nation-states of the Musket-Wars Period early 1830s. What I'm saying is, Maori formed recognisable tribes in the 1820's in time to be colonised in the 1840's, and should NOT have a nation state. The same applies to Australia.

TL;dr:
1. New Zealand should Have a Colonial Region, Colonial Zealandia,
2. It needs a Province rework, possibly even a province addition,
3. At the very least, a Name rework

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Upvote 0
New Zealand only started to be colonised in the mid 19th century though, which is after the timeline of the game. Before that, it was simply a small outpost if the British penal colonies in Australia. But I agree with your province changes.

Reactions:
New Zealand only started to be colonised in the mid 19th century though, which is after the timeline of the game. Before that, it was simply a small outpost if the British penal colonies in Australia.
Yes, but EU4 doesn't appear to know that. By 1820, unless one starts at a post-colonial date, New Zealand is colonised by someone. Small outposts like this aren't really shown in the game, except by trade posts.
While I understand this argument, unless it is likely that New Zealand will not be colonised as it was in real life, I feel it deserves a colonial region.