Open Beta Patch 1.11.5 (Steam Only) Mk3 - Checksum 8d69

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Showing developer posts only. Show all posts in this thread.

MatRopert

HoI4 Tech Lead
Paradox Staff
4 Badges
May 11, 2018
mropert.github.io
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Battle for Bosporus
Hello again one last time before Christmas!

We have setup another opt-in open beta branch for Barbarossa, again named open_beta. If the branch does not appear, restarting Steam should fix it.
This is once more meant for the brave souls who want to try out the upcoming fixes & balance changes early.
Contrary to normal releases this branch is a work-in-progress that has yet to go through our full release QA process, so while we try to keep relatively stable you may experience new issues or crashes.

This branch contains some of the work-in-progress for the 1.11.5 Barbarossa patch, scheduled to release some time early 2022.

Feel free to leave your feedback in this thread or in the bug report forum as usual, especially if you encounter new issues not present in 1.11.4, or if something marked as fixed in the below changelog still occurs for you.

################################################################
######## Patch 1.11.5 "Barbarossa" #########
################################################################

##################################
# AI

- Majors will now send volunteers to the Spanish Civil War even without La Resistance
- AI will no longer consider enemy lakes to be dangerous
- AI has learned the definition of insanity and will now try to avoid attacking in same place if previous invasion failed
- AI will be more careful with their attacks if they start running out of manpower

# UI

- Supply map mode allows normal interactions with naval unit counters and doesn't hide fleet windows

# Database

- The Race for Germany achievement will no longer fail if the player does not control Luxembourg at the time of German surrender (it's complicated)
- Non-NSB tanks will now have their correct fuel usage again. It was fun while it lasted!

# Modding

- Added on_capitualtion_immediate on_action. This will be executed at the very start of the capitulation process, where on_capitulation is played in the middle of the process, which can bias the triggers result.

# Bugfix

- Fixed issue where Danzig could get stuck with negative modifier when Polish Danzig focuses were getting bypassed.
- When loading a save from a lost ironman game, observer mode is loaded and ironman flag should be turned off.
- Fixed script parser silently ignoring last line of a file if it didn't contain a newline
- Fix positioning of the Expand Polish Intelligence branch when Man the Guns is not active. Without MtG the focus Expand Polish Intelligence will no longer require the player to complete the (MtG DLC-locked) parent focus Prepare for the Inevitable.
- Added newline at the end of equipment bonus tooltip
- Fixed George VI national spirit showing an advisor portrait instead of the regular national spirit portrait.
- Hooked-in several NSB Baltic portraits for generals that were using generic ones.
- Fix AI Queueing more railway upgrades than it intended
- Fix allied task force local supply draw
- fixed a reference to a missing German armor 3d model (this should not alter any 3d assets being displayed, just cleaned up the error log)
- Fixed issue where Generals, Field Marshals and Admirals were not being transfered when annexing through Polish and Lithuanian monarchist events.
- Made it less likely that The Soviet Union partitions Poland with Lithuania if Lithuania is AI, and even less likely if Poland is controlled by the player.
- Spanish generals should again be able to properly pick a side when the Civil War starts
- Fixed exploit which allowed circumvention of the building removal cooldown effective while at war.
- Adapt assignable trait skilled_staffer so field marshals can also gain xp in that trait.
"- Air Supply now redistributes supply consumption to the hosting airbase.
- Fixed bugs with multiple air supply missions having zero effect."
- Soviet focuses will no longer grant tank designs if NSB is not active.
- Soviet focuses requiring certain armor tech will now check for the appropriate tech based on NSB being active or not.
- German focus Danubian Membership will no longer be bypassed if only one of the countries is gone, a subject, or allied to Germany. It requires all three countries to fulfill one of those conditions in order to get bypassed.
- Fixed supply network sometimes reporting no connection when shortest path traveled through an enemy province
- Added loc to an unlocalized Estonian country flag
- Fixed continous focus exploit which allowed stacking modifiers
- In civil war process, when copying unit leaders, use the clone function rather than recreating the unit leader from template (some unit leaders do not have template). Also use the character merge mecanism for those copies too if the revolter country receiving those copies already have the character.
- Fixed crash caused by invalid naval invasion order
- Railway guns should no longer be able to end up in a naval invasion
- Fixed crash caused by invalid province templates in mods during trade route computation
- Fixed CTD when playing tutorial videos or opening the ingame browser on DirectX 11
- Fixed Empire of Brazil being so much into Fascism
- Fixed inconsistencies with Dutch Wilhelmina national spirit portrait.
- Fixed logistics strike mission not taking plane number into account correctly
- Soviet focus 'Committee in Exile' focus can now be bypassed if the Civil War is completed

# Balance

- Blitzkrieg Theorist advisors now have increased base cost

# UI

- Fixed ship stats details pages not showing correct supply usage
- Fixed UI elements highlighting spurriously when tech template would unlock equipment which isn't included in current DLC profile
- Fixed Army and Navy view windows opening on top of each other
- Fixed shift+k shortcut for training air/navy
- Decision map icons with CP costs no longer overlap unreadably
- Fixed rail upgrade buttons sometimes not being generated. Buttons now line up with rails connecting to naval bases.
- Fixed Railway Gun supply icon never showing up and being in the wrong place when it did
- Fixed naval unit counters not showing low supply icon
- Naval battle screen now correctly shows admiral portraits
- Fixed operative map icons not getting frame mask applied
- Updated equipment conversion and ship refitting tooltips to use accurate language and include the relevant values and modifiers.

# AI

- AI now assigns free aces to valid existing wings instead of only when creating new wings
- AI is now significantly less likely to release collaboration governments unless they have narrative reasons to do so

# Modding

- Added multiplicative modifier equipment_conversion_ic_cost which reduces conversion IC cost for non-naval equipment edited with the equipment designer (i.e. tanks when NSB is active).

# Stability & Performance

- Fixed player/ai list not being properly reset when going back to menu, triggering OOS on new games

# Bugfix

- Modifiers from propaganda campaigns are now properly cleared when Soviet Union capitulates.
- Emilio Mola will no longer be retired after completing the focus The National-Syndicalist State, he will just drop his country leader roles but will keep his advisor and unit leader roles.
- Swapped Soviet armored cars I and II in the tech tree.
- Communist support threshold to complete Estonian focus Break the Silence has been increased to be less than 5% (instead of less than 1%)
- Fixed several character issues with Spanish Falangists in the focus tree. Emilio Mola and Primo de Rivera should be properly handled now and will no longer be literally killed in order to allow the other to take over as country leader.
- Capital supply connection graph will now prioritize shorter sea routes
- Supply network now considers convoy availability and tries to prioritize throughput over unconditionally avoiding naval connections
- Naval Supply routes now respect blocked region flags.
- Fixed Patagonian lake being considered some sort of flooded plain aberration and prevented players from building nuclear reactors on it.
- Fixed an issue that made it impossible for players to progress down the Vichy focus tree because a Petain imposter was in charge
- German Air Innovations 2 now correctly reduces cost of air doctrines, rather than increasing research speed
- Fixed some design company ideas not having bonuses shown on equipment stats page
- Steal blueprints operation no longer gives access to locked out mutual exclude branches
- Frontlines will not spread to friendly or neutral countries anymore
- Taskforces operating in a blocked naval region can draw supply from naval bases in that region

# Balance

- Smooth talking charmer now reduces maintenance cost for improving relations.
- Backroom Backstabber no longer grants political power factor, and instead grants subverseive activities cost; drift defence factor buffed to 0.25
- Compassionate Gentlemen now reduce resistance damage to garrisons in addition to monthly opinion gain
- Ideological Crusader now grants party popularity stability modifier in addition to old effects
- Armaments Organizer now increases supply hub construction -speed- by 10%
- Balance changes for armor and varient units
- Moved High velocity 2 to antitank_4 tech
- Increase mot equipments to 36 for mot AT
- Halved motorised breakthrough and armor
- Reduced AT gun piercing
- Added missing tungsten cost to mot rocket arty
- Total rebalance of tanks
- Tank weapons now based on turret weight class

- Significantly improved game startup time

# Graphics

- Fixed naval fort model luminance problem

# AI

- AI naval engineers will now follow orders and keep building what they were told to, even if they really disagree on what the navy of the future should look like

# UI

- Hold units command now applies to all selected units when mixed armies are selected
- Supply bottleneck tooltip should now include undersized ports

# Modding

- Game will now try to reconcile provinces declared as coastal without bordering a seazone (and vice versa). Check your error log!
- Invalid buildings (like naval bases in landlocked provinces) in history setup will now be ignored and reported in error log.
- Modifiers declared in advisor character entries should now properly apply and persist between saves
- Made set_character_name also work for unit leaders

# Database

- Brazil should no longer have access to non-NSB tanks with NSB active

# Bugfix

- Characters no longer get traits for other classes of characters from national spirits
- Supply Network (and tooltips) now correctly factor in building damage when considering throughput
- Issuing a move command to a province the unit is already fighting in no longer resets combat
- Non-NSB tanks once again have their correct reliability (80%) across the board
- Fix rail construction partial progress not getting saved correctly
- The Turkish investment decisions should now actually work
- Fix British designers focus for baltics not giving correct air bonuses
- Fix crash in any_navy_leader, all_navy_leader, any_army_leader, all_army_leader when there is no general/field marshal or no admiral in a country
- Stalinist mission Behead the Snake should now properly kill Trotsky when the player is going opposition.
- Changed the Polish Focus 'Request Autonomous Status' so it can be bypassed if Poland is more than autonomous than a reichsprotectorate or integrated puppet.
- Fix so that Franco can use Nationalist Infantry Division names in 39
- Fix upgrade costs not being calculated consistently
- Fixed issue where event for Poland dismissing Lithuania's claim to its throne is sent to the wrong country.
- Fixed issue where Poland's Ignacy Moscicki would have the legacy portrait instead of using the new one from NSB.
- Rocket interceptors pilots don't consider themselves too cool for school anymore
- Toggling naval region access settings should no longer make captains panic when they reach a blocked zone and get stuck in place
- Rumors of TODOs in Soviet Stalinist missions flavor texts turned out to be counter-revolutionary propaganda. There never was any TODOs.

Last edited:
  • 66Like
  • 21Love
Reactions:
Development Lead and the Tech Lead get their teams in order not to behave like a bunch of drunken elephants in a chinaware store[...]

I think I am entitled to voice my dissatisfaction as a paying customer a bit... which I did in the most respectful manner possible.

• 32Haha
  • 2Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Very subjectively ofc. but I feel like every time new patch notes released with fixes like "Added newline at the end of equipment bonus tooltip" while whole oversea supply still broken and all naval oriented majors unplayable Paradox just mocking me or still have not played their own game after NSB.

I admit to being baffled by such comments at times. It can be a significant technical challenge to identify, test, and address issues such as a systemic problem in the supply system. This can take days or weeks. Adding a newline to a broken tooltip does not take days or weeks. These two things are not the same, and maintaining a decent spread of priority fixes is the only way to ensure we tackle things that others find valuable.

• 7Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:

CSRZ [author] 33 minutes ago
I don't know why, but some of the files in the 1.11.4 patch are from the older versions of the game.

Vichy French focus tree is locked and unusable in 1.11.4, even when in 1.11.2 it was working normally. It seems like they somehow mixed up the files and brought back the Vichy French focus tree file from the 1.9.0.

New compliance_modifiers.txt file that was working fine in 1.11.1 patch (which I praised by the way) was removed and replaced with 1.10 version of it, which causes the stuff like Japanese Micronesia to appear on the map again, etc.

I don't know why or how these things happen. Why would Paradox Interacitve replace the newer, patched files of the game with older, more buggy versions of these files? I don't know why...

Out of curiosity, I looked into this. Our versioning control system shows no changes (accidental or otherwise) to the mentioned files.

Reactions:
CraniumMuppet told us a few weeks ago that the problem is from the bureaucracy since they need to coordinate the respective devs to enact the changes. Not that they are not aware of that small bugs and ahistorical placements or starting ideologies.
Wat? When did I say that?

If you are referring to this

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...dated-mk4-checksum-b22c.1499991/post-27940112

Which was the only one that I could find that was tangibly related it's not about any bureaucracy but rather about processes and prioritization.

Bugs are graded on
Reach
Severity
User pain
Reproducibility
Effort to fix
Etc

As such high impact bugs are more likely to receive a high prio than say, cosmetic ideology changes

And noone tested this how it affected countries which received customized focus trees? IIRC focus trees are part of the payware which has been rendered unusable due to this specific bug.
We did, several times during development. Then it broke somewhere in between X test and Y change. It happens all the time.

We don't have the luxury of testing a fully completed product, we test as quickly as we can while it develops. If your testing is done on ice our testing is done in liquid, at different temperatures.
Anyway. I have been able to voice my opinion on this, which I appreciate very much.

Merry Christmas everyone
You are fully free to voice that opinion, no doubt. However if you want a valuable response from us about X thing it would behove you to, you know, not write like you do to be blunt.

We as devs are just dudes and dudettes who are here because we want to interact with you guys, but we don't need to. We do it because we care about what we do, and we care about this game, we choose to be on the forum.

Paradox devs are in a very fortunate position to be able to be quite open with what we can say, so when you talk to one of us you talk to us directly.

I am actually pretty open about discussing these things (as much as I can), if people just ask. But I only have so much energy to respond to everyone, so I prioritize the meaningful discussions and questions.

Merry Christmas :)

• 17Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
They've actually got it backwards lol. Transport Planes should be able to deliver small/light supplies but not heavy ones. Unless you have a very big Transport Plane which the game currently does not.
You are confusing equipment and supply. They are not the same

• 5Like
Reactions:
You're saying Transport Planes don't deliver Equipment replacements?
Not when I last checked. It was a while ago.

Pretty easy to test.
Turn AI off
Deploy a tank with shitty reliability
Declare war on someone
Surround the tank by tagging to the enemy
Tag back
Exercise the tank to loose some tanks
Deploy a transport play and do drops
Your supply should be fixed, but I dont think you get any new tanks

• 3Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
I've run into an odd bug with the 1.11.5 beta and mods

My error log reads

[21:53:10][gui.cpp:921]: Undefined GUI_TYPE: slow_interface_win - This will most likely crash the game​

At which point it crashes, and locks Steam into thinking the game is still running, despite there being no programs open in the Task Manager (This may not be connected to the crash)

It doesn't do this on the 1.11.4, so it appears the issue is in 11.5

Any thoughts on how to fix it, or at least where it came from?
There's a new window in the game UI called "slow_window_win". It is only used in debug.
Your mod is probably a UI mod that doesn't replicate it.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Hello guys!

A few of our folks were around the past 2 weeks and they managed to address a few more issues.
I've updated the open beta but keep in mind this is hot code, a lot of our QA team is still on vacation :D

Head post has changelog, I'll recap it here for convenience.
# Balance

- Blitzkrieg Theorist advisors now have increased base cost

# UI

- Fixed ship stats details pages not showing correct supply usage
- Fixed UI elements highlighting spurriously when tech template would unlock equipment which isn't included in current DLC profile
- Fixed Army and Navy view windows opening on top of each other
- Fixed shift+k shortcut for training air/navy
- Decision map icons with CP costs no longer overlap unreadably
- Fixed rail upgrade buttons sometimes not being generated. Buttons now line up with rails connecting to naval bases.
- Fixed Railway Gun supply icon never showing up and being in the wrong place when it did
- Fixed naval unit counters not showing low supply icon
- Naval battle screen now correctly shows admiral portraits
- Fixed operative map icons not getting frame mask applied
- Updated equipment conversion and ship refitting tooltips to use accurate language and include the relevant values and modifiers.

# AI

- AI now assigns free aces to valid existing wings instead of only when creating new wings
- AI is now significantly less likely to release collaboration governments unless they have narrative reasons to do so

# Modding

- Added multiplicative modifier equipment_conversion_ic_cost which reduces conversion IC cost for non-naval equipment edited with the equipment designer (i.e. tanks when NSB is active).

- Fixed player/ai list not being properly reset when going back to menu, triggering OOS on new games

# Bugfix

- Modifiers from propaganda campaigns are now properly cleared when Soviet Union capitulates.
- Emilio Mola will no longer be retired after completing the focus The National-Syndicalist State, he will just drop his country leader roles but will keep his advisor and unit leader roles.
- Swapped Soviet armored cars I and II in the tech tree.
- Communist support threshold to complete Estonian focus Break the Silence has been increased to be less than 5% (instead of less than 1%)
- Fixed several character issues with Spanish Falangists in the focus tree. Emilio Mola and Primo de Rivera should be properly handled now and will no longer be literally killed in order to allow the other to take over as country leader.
- Capital supply connection graph will now prioritize shorter sea routes
- Supply network now considers convoy availability and tries to prioritize throughput over unconditionally avoiding naval connections
- Naval Supply routes now respect blocked region flags.
- Fixed Patagonian lake being considered some sort of flooded plain aberration and prevented players from building nuclear reactors on it.
- Fixed an issue that made it impossible for players to progress down the Vichy focus tree because a Petain imposter was in charge
- German Air Innovations 2 now correctly reduces cost of air doctrines, rather than increasing research speed
- Fixed some design company ideas not having bonuses shown on equipment stats page
- Steal blueprints operation no longer gives access to locked out mutual exclude branches
- Frontlines will not spread to friendly or neutral countries anymore
- Taskforces operating in a blocked naval region can draw supply from naval bases in that region

Last edited:
  • 21Like
  • 6Love
Reactions:
Yes, basically nothing. I did manage to once select Rostov, and it upgraded Moscow-->Leningrad, but, maybe I clicked something weird; other than that, yes. Nothing. I'm sure it's fixable, and, as I said, compared to the improvements to port supply, it's a mere annoyance.

In other good news:
View attachment 791532
Those are German troops being supplied from their ally Italy, w/o even having closed Gibraltar/Suez.
Aight cool, ty. I'll make a note to check it once I get back

• 6Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Just a quick "still getting false positives for low supply" - but I've finally worked out how to repro it (deleting air wings can trigger a "very bad" supply alert - I can dig this, aircraft are cool, so when they're deleted the region is suddenly facing a sudden deficit in coolness supply :) ) - reported here (it's obviously not a game-breaking issue, but might be an easy fix?) :

Also @MatRopert - if easy, and assuming I haven't been dopey and just missed it, is there any chance of popping the checksum for the current beta build somewhere, so we know we're on the right version? In the past it's been included in the OP, and the post when you've let us know there's a new build out.
It's in the thread title, c53d ;)
Still, wouldn't be a bad idea to add it next to patch notes.

• 2Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Hello there!

A new update for the beta should be downloading soon. New checksum is 8d69.
Like the previous one, it's smoking hot code but we did just spend 2 hours in a large MP game without noticing anything major :cool:
Here's the changelog:

# Balance

- Smooth talking charmer now reduces maintenance cost for improving relations.
- Backroom Backstabber no longer grants political power factor, and instead grants subverseive activities cost; drift defence factor buffed to 0.25
- Compassionate Gentlemen now reduce resistance damage to garrisons in addition to monthly opinion gain
- Ideological Crusader now grants party popularity stability modifier in addition to old effects
- Armaments Organizer now increases supply hub construction -speed- by 10%
- Balance changes for armor and varient units
- Moved High velocity 2 to antitank_4 tech
- Increase mot equipments to 36 for mot AT
- Halved motorised breakthrough and Hardness
- Reduced AT gun piercing
- Added missing tungsten cost to mot rocket arty
- Total rebalance of tanks
- Tank weapons now based on turret weight class

- Significantly improved game startup time

# Graphics

- Fixed naval fort model luminance problem

# AI

- AI naval engineers will now follow orders and keep building what they were told to, even if they really disagree on what the navy of the future should look like

# UI

- Hold units command now applies to all selected units when mixed armies are selected
- Supply bottleneck tooltip should now include undersized ports

# Modding

- Game will now try to reconcile provinces declared as coastal without bordering a seazone (and vice versa). Check your error log!
- Invalid buildings (like naval bases in landlocked provinces) in history setup will now be ignored and reported in error log.
- Modifiers declared in advisor character entries should now properly apply and persist between saves
- Made set_character_name also work for unit leaders

# Database

- Brazil should no longer have access to non-NSB tanks with NSB active

# Bugfix

- Characters no longer get traits for other classes of characters from national spirits
- Supply Network (and tooltips) now correctly factor in building damage when considering throughput
- Issuing a move command to a province the unit is already fighting in no longer resets combat
- Non-NSB tanks once again have their correct reliability (80%) across the board
- Fix rail construction partial progress not getting saved correctly
- The Turkish investment decisions should now actually work
- Fix British designers focus for baltics not giving correct air bonuses
- Fix crash in any_navy_leader, all_navy_leader, any_army_leader, all_army_leader when there is no general/field marshal or no admiral in a country
- Stalinist mission Behead the Snake should now properly kill Trotsky when the player is going opposition.
- Changed the Polish Focus 'Request Autonomous Status' so it can be bypassed if Poland is more than autonomous than a reichsprotectorate or integrated puppet.
- Fix so that Franco can use Nationalist Infantry Division names in 39
- Fix upgrade costs not being calculated consistently
- Fixed issue where event for Poland dismissing Lithuania's claim to its throne is sent to the wrong country.
- Fixed issue where Poland's Ignacy Moscicki would have the legacy portrait instead of using the new one from NSB.
- Rocket interceptors pilots don't consider themselves too cool for school anymore
- Toggling naval region access settings should no longer make captains panic when they reach a blocked zone and get stuck in place
- Rumors of TODOs in Soviet Stalinist missions flavor texts turned out to be counter-revolutionary propaganda. There never was any TODOs.

• 18Like
  • 5Love
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
Following the main patch notes here is a comprehensive and detailed set of changes made for balance as outlined in the change list above

Rocket launcher now forbids tank role
Moved tank_high_velocity_cannon_2 to antitank_4 tech from antitank_3
Turrets now determine which size of weapon is valid

Unithardnessbreakthroughmot equipment
Motorised0.2>0.110>5
Motorised AT35>36

TechPiecingChromiumTungsten
AT 185>601
AT 2100>901
AT 31
Mot rocket2

UnitSAHADefenceBreakthroughChassis per Bn
Lt flame tanks-0.75-0.75-0.75-0.75
M flame tanks-0.7-0.7-0.7-0.7
Hvy flame tanks-0.625-0.625-0.625-0.625
Heavy armor0.15
Light armor0.15
Medium Armor0.15
Modern0.15
S Hvy Armor0.15
Lt SPAA-0.5536
M SPAA-0.5336
Hvy SPAA-0.3536
SHvy SPAA-0.3536
Modern SPAA-0.5336
Lt SPG-0.4250
M SPG-0.2550
Hvy SPG-0.2540
SHvy SPG-0.2540
Modern SPG-0.2550
Lt TD-0.4250
M TD-0.2550
Hvy TD-0.2540
SHvy TD-0.2540
Modern TD-0.2550

moduleIC costadditive speed
armor upgrade0.25>0.2
gasoline engine3>11>0.5
diesel engine3>1
petrol electric4>2
gas turbine4>32>0.5
armour value
Rivetted armor-0.2>0-0,2>0
torsion bar3>1
Christie3>1
bogie2>0
interleaved3>1
wheel1>0
half track1.5>0.5

ModuleIC CostSAHABreakthroughResourceXP
auto cannon2.5>1.5
auto cannon 23>2
AA cannon3>2
AA cannons 24>3T1:S2
AA cannon 35>4T1:S3
small cannon3>1.5
small cannon 24>3
close support gun5>4S1
medium cannon4>3T1:S1
medium cannon 25>4T1:C1:S2
medium howitzer6>428>35-2T1:S2
medium howitzer 27.5>5.535>45-2T1:C1:S3
Rocket launcher3>4-4T2:S1
Rocket launcher 24>5-4T2:S1
High velocity4>325>26T2:S2
High velocity 26>5T2:C1:S2
high velocity 38>7T2:C1:S3
heavy cannon7>6T1:C1:S2
heavy cannon 28>7T2:C1:S2
heavy cannon 311>8T3:C1:S3
heavy howitzer8>750>55-4T1:C1:S3
Radio 11>0.5*0.25>*0.15
Radio 22>1.5*0.45>*0.30
Radio 33>2.5*0.65>*0.45
armor skirts1.5>0.5
sloped armor*0.1>*0.011>10
2nd turret cannon5.5>2
2nd turret HMG2.5>1

Asterisk define multiplicative values when the rest of a column is additive

• 5Like
  • 3Love
Reactions:
  • 6Like
  • 2Love
Reactions:
The changes to Tank Conversion are regressive.

It looked, in the previous beta, like we were getting seperate Conversion Cost and Production Costs, which reflected the amount of time it would take to change different components on the tank, similar to how Ships get upgraded. The tooltip was there, it just hadn't been hooked up yet.

View attachment 793548

Now Conversion Cost has been deleted altogether. You have to pay the full Production Cost to add even a small upgrade to your tank. The game thinks you're building a whole new tank!

View attachment 793543

Above is the Panzer II Ausf. a that Germany starts the game with. Pretty basic tank, lets add some smoke launchers.

View attachment 793549

The smoke launcher is the 3 canisters on each side, seen here on a Panzer II Luchs (image from Wikipedia).

Below, we are converting our Ausf. a tanks to the Ausf. b model with the smoke launchers. Shouldn't take long, to bolt on the new module, right?

View attachment 793545

Wrong. The game charges us for an entire extra tank. We must rebuild the entire thing, from the ground up. This makes tank conversion worthless. I would say it is broken.

Effect of Conversion Techs

There are 2 x Conversion techs we can research which each give a 40% bonus to production output, when converting tanks. Each of these techs takes months of research, and doesn't really alter the production rate of this tank all that much:

5.63/week - with no conversion tech
7.07/week - Improved Equipment Conversion (1937)
8.82/week - Advanced Equipment Conversion (1939)

Given we are only bolting smoke launchers onto the side of the tank, I would say that the techs are not the solution.

Different Types of Upgrades

Finally, without the Conversion Cost mechanic from the previous beta, there is no difference to the type of upgrade you're doing to your tank. We only added smoke launchers, but for a similar conversion cost we could change to a 3-man turret, we could fit a high-velocity gun, we could fit radios, we could even apply thicker armor and a bigger engine, we could do anything we want, because we are being charged the cost of a full tank anyway.

In WW2, tanks often received small upgrades, as new technology was developed, or to overcome deficiencies they encountered in a given theatre against a certain enemy. Unfortunately, we are presently unable to do a small upgrade, such as adding a newly-researched radio, or bolting on armor skirts, as we get punished for doing so.

The best example of this system is Ship Upgrades in MTG. As in real life, replacing the main armament of a ship is balanced so it's unattractive, but equipment such as ASDIC, AA guns, Depth Charges can be added to the platform to fit the tactical or strategic situation. It's good gameplay, with real tradeoffs.

I would propose that Conversion Cost is brought back for Tanks, to allow us to make these small upgrades, while keeping "exploity" total conversions prohibitively expensive.
The refit cost system was broken in previous beta's so this is not a regression. We still want to have refit costs work but the code required for it was not ready for the patch so we have removed the UI element to not confuse players until that time. working Refit costs will return just not in this patch.

• 5Like
Reactions:
It seems a "bug", in the sense that this is true only if you have a medium chassis (any). If you have an heavy chassis and small turret you cannot insert a medium gun.
Hereafter a picture:View attachment 793590
A fix for medium chassis always being able to fit medium guns has been prepped

• 8Like
  • 1Love
Reactions: