Open Beta Patch 1.11.5 (Steam Only) Mk3 - Checksum 8d69

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Also i have noticed two bugs with the new AI focus guiding mechanic in ahistorical.

Edward VIII is not forced to marry Wallis Simpson in case the UK is following the monarchist plan so usually it gets locked out of the political tree.

Also China should respond to a Japanese civil war by abandoning the anti-Japanese paths like the Chinese United Front and rather go for a Chinese unification and emerge as a major power themselves.
I believe that a similar issue may occur in Turkey, where an AI intending to go Ottoman can choose to reelect the Kemalists and thereby lock themselves out of the Ottoman branch. However, I haven't had a chance to test this properly.

Reactions:
Please fix the Turkish investment decisions bug. It's been confirmed by forum mods yet still no fixes... it's been around for more than half a year probably
Yes please fix this it's crippling the Majors AI when they take it even. There are loads of bug reports on it and I made this thread discussing some of the severe aspects of it. I know I sound frustrated on it but it has indeed been well over half a year with this issue being well known and I'm starting to lose hope it will ever get fixed.

Reactions:
Last edited:
Oh... I did submit a detailed bug report on the sea zone issue (I quoted it even here a bit further up in post #27.
The bug was reported on Dec 9th. It was set to confirmed on the same day. Now: I can accept that it might not have made the final patch 1.11.4 5 days later... but not making it in the new beta 2 weeks later... well... that is kind of hard to swallow... especially since the convoy supply system is also affected... and both were selling points to Man the Gun. In my opinion it does not bode well that features that have been in the game for years are broken by the current patch releases.
And i have posted two suggestion threads regarding fixing Formable Nations (mainly Arabia because the detailed concept of independent Arab nation in the McMahon-Husein Correspondence is not even 20 years before the game's start, dammit) and fixing some little details regarding PHI, INS, and MAL.

Heck, the former even is from January 2020 and got closed because i posted it not on the Suggestion tab, my effort to move it to the suggestion tab and open it up again has been halted because based on conversation with a dev (who create the NSB formable nations in his free time) a while ago, he isn't a moderator and has to wait for them to get back from their holidays just to move my SFNR thread.

Also, both even aren't that extensive since i created two mods (check my signature below) to just basically realize my suggestions. To be fair for me, it's more on the content side rather than programming side, i hope they would fix it soon, obviously.

I think I am entitled to voice my dissatisfaction as a paying customer a bit... which I did in the most respectful manner possible.
Very, much, same, but refrain from more personal comments, please. Bureaucracy sucks so much and i hope they would fix that first.

Development Lead and the Tech Lead get their teams in order not to behave like a bunch of drunken elephants in a chinaware store[...]

I think I am entitled to voice my dissatisfaction as a paying customer a bit... which I did in the most respectful manner possible.

• 32Haha
  • 2Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Very subjectively ofc. but I feel like every time new patch notes released with fixes like "Added newline at the end of equipment bonus tooltip" while whole oversea supply still broken and all naval oriented majors unplayable Paradox just mocking me or still have not played their own game after NSB.

I admit to being baffled by such comments at times. It can be a significant technical challenge to identify, test, and address issues such as a systemic problem in the supply system. This can take days or weeks. Adding a newline to a broken tooltip does not take days or weeks. These two things are not the same, and maintaining a decent spread of priority fixes is the only way to ensure we tackle things that others find valuable.

• 7Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Fair enough. But then one wonders why all of the mentioned one or two line bug fixes has not been implemented? Especially ones older than a few weeks. I'm just curious how that works.

Big kudos for popping into the thread again, a big reason to like paradox, even when they ridicule us which we sometimes deserve.

Reactions:
Fair enough. But then one wonders why all of the mentioned one or two line bug fixes has not been implemented? Especially ones older than a few weeks. I'm just curious how that works.

Big kudos for popping into the thread again, a big reason to like paradox, even when they ridicule us which we sometimes deserve.
CraniumMuppet told us a few weeks ago that the problem is from the bureaucracy since they need to coordinate the respective devs to enact the changes. Not that they are not aware of that small bugs and ahistorical placements or starting ideologies.

Reactions:

I believe I understand your frustration and many others with the same feelings. Forgive me if I am giving unwanted information, but thought I would share something with you.

I am a project manager, though not of software. When I receive "bug reports" I have to allocate time and resources to get them fixed. Duh, obvious, I know. Thing is, my resources, and even time, are not homogenous. No, my resources are as varied as the bugs I receive. They must be, or I could not fix them. My resources' time is not all the same either. Some work seven days a week, some six, some five, etc... Some are on vacation, observe different holidays, quarantine, sick, etc... Some resources require hours to fix something, others require weeks, even months.

I am saying all that because there is no stack of simple bugs that I can assign a stack of simple resources to tackle. No, I have to sort through them to get a bigger picture so I can put the right person, support, material and equipment on the right thing, but in the right order. This is super necessary nowadays because I do not have enough of anyone or anything during these days of infection. Because I always require more information than I was originally given and more bugs are coming in constantly, it is a constant shuffling of priorities. What I was told was the problem, very often is not the problem, it is mearly a symptom, requiring a different resource to fix.

So, on my projects, you will see a wide mixture of fixes happening. If I happen to have several resources for the next few days who can handle "simple" things, then the customer will see those getting fixed before something else. I am going to take advantage of every resource and time opportunity at my disposal.

Of course, the bugs fixed are never the ones the customer wanted fixed first and he lets me know about it. All I can do is tell him what I am saying here. He replies, "But it will only take 15 minutes!". I tell him nothing can be fixed in 15 minutes, unless he wants me to unleash my resources on his project with no supervision and allow them to just do what they think is best, without first synchronizeing with everyone else and getting approval from him and me. I also tell him that I cannot have that conversation over and over if he wants things fixed, because like my resources, my time is variable, finite, and even valuable to the process.

I realize HOI4 has a lot of simplier-than-some bugs that have been around months and even years and it is hard to understand why they have not been addressed. I think that stokes alot of our frustrations. Still, if we focus on this specific moment in time, the fixes I am seeing makes me feel that there is an urgency and real effort going on. Even risks are being taken in the effort, like this latest beta patch before Christmas. The time frame to check it well was definetly compressed and probably has some issues. It was a gutsy move and glad to see it. Many project managers would have taken a break with the holiday as excellent cover to catch their breath. I would have been tempted myself. I have family visiting who have already arrived, presents to wrap, and I need time to unpack the job from my mind so I can be an enjoyable human being for the family this holiday. That patch before Christmas hints to me that they are trying, so I am going to give them the benefit of the doubt. We have all of next year to доверяй, но проверяй and raise **** if that trust is broken.

Perhaps now, the best thing we can do is report bugs as clearly as we can so the developers do not waste time trying to understand it and reproduce it.

• 4Love
Reactions:
I admit to being baffled by such comments at times. It can be a significant technical challenge to identify, test, and address issues such as a systemic problem in the supply system. This can take days or weeks. Adding a newline to a broken tooltip does not take days or weeks. These two things are not the same, and maintaining a decent spread of priority fixes is the only way to ensure we tackle things that others find valuable.
I am well aware that fixing and optimizing the new supply system will take a while. That is to be expected if a rework of this magnitude appears. I am not disputing that.

However I was specifically referring to severe bugs that were actually introduced AFTER NSB had been introduced:
  • Naval units ignoring sea blockers which I could confirm worked even in 1.11.3 but not in 1.11.4 beta anymore. The blocker mechanic worked well since Man the Guns
  • Petain not being recognized as head of state in Vichy France (or the name being randomized). This used to work properly until NSB
  • The Convoys not being able to be manually switched anymore. The support initally defined this as „Working as designed“ in the bug reports until the reporter specfically pointed out and providing proof that this was not the case.
  • The return of the infamous Collaboration Government spam, which has been confirmed by the creator of the mod to stop this being an outdated file.
I apologize if I have been somewhat blunt but these four points above show me that something appears to be wrong. While I concede that the convoy rerouting issue can be traced back to the supply re-design I find the handling to this bug as something to be improved.

As for the other three… well… I can‘t actually see where these would be related to the NSB changes. Also since these can be quite precisely pinpointed when they occured and how they occur, fixing these should be comparatively easy.

I am specifically not listing the Armor Pack bug with these since this in my opinion is also an unexpected behaviour due to the Tank Designer implementation. I understand that this might a while to properly fix.

Anyway. I have been able to voice my opinion on this, which I appreciate very much.

Merry Christmas everyone

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions:
  • Petain not being recognized as head of state in Vichy France (or the name being randomized). This used to work properly until NSB
Because all leaders, generals and advisors are now characters who are handled differently in script compared to before, this change was introduced with NSB
  • The return of the infamous Collaboration Government spam, which has been confirmed by the creator of the mod to stop this being an outdated file.
Collaboration Government changes were in the initial patch notes as part of preventing other issues occurring more so than just an outdated file being returned. We can all be hyperbolic in our messaging but the reality is always more complicated.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Because all leaders, generals and advisors are now characters who are handled differently in script compared to before, this change was introduced with NSB
And noone tested this how it affected countries which received customized focus trees? IIRC focus trees are part of the payware which has been rendered unusable due to this specific bug.

Collaboration Government changes were in the initial patch notes as part of preventing other issues occurring more so than just an outdated file being returned. We can all be hyperbolic in our messaging but the reality is always more complicated.
Ah yes… I have read up on this part. And yes: the initialy collaboration gov bug was indeed fixed with 1.11.0
Unfortunately as of 1.11.4 the old behaviour has returned unabated. I would post the link in the Steam Workshop but I think this is prohibited.

Reactions:

CSRZ [author] 33 minutes ago
I don't know why, but some of the files in the 1.11.4 patch are from the older versions of the game.

Vichy French focus tree is locked and unusable in 1.11.4, even when in 1.11.2 it was working normally. It seems like they somehow mixed up the files and brought back the Vichy French focus tree file from the 1.9.0.

New compliance_modifiers.txt file that was working fine in 1.11.1 patch (which I praised by the way) was removed and replaced with 1.10 version of it, which causes the stuff like Japanese Micronesia to appear on the map again, etc.

I don't know why or how these things happen. Why would Paradox Interacitve replace the newer, patched files of the game with older, more buggy versions of these files? I don't know why...

• 1Like
Reactions:

CSRZ [author] 33 minutes ago
I don't know why, but some of the files in the 1.11.4 patch are from the older versions of the game.

Vichy French focus tree is locked and unusable in 1.11.4, even when in 1.11.2 it was working normally. It seems like they somehow mixed up the files and brought back the Vichy French focus tree file from the 1.9.0.

New compliance_modifiers.txt file that was working fine in 1.11.1 patch (which I praised by the way) was removed and replaced with 1.10 version of it, which causes the stuff like Japanese Micronesia to appear on the map again, etc.

I don't know why or how these things happen. Why would Paradox Interacitve replace the newer, patched files of the game with older, more buggy versions of these files? I don't know why...

Out of curiosity, I looked into this. Our versioning control system shows no changes (accidental or otherwise) to the mentioned files.

Reactions:
Out of curiosity, I looked into this. Our versioning control system shows no changes (accidental or otherwise) to the mentioned files.
maybe a wrong deployment on Steam? Something which is very known to me and seen it many times before. Versioning control system tells nothing wrong... but the really deployment was something other. I don't know... just guessing and based on some of my experience with the many deployment I had in the past with issues (not working in game industry but other ICT industry with a lot of deployments weekly/monthly)

But I am just guessing... Again, what you/development have done in NSB I really love it. Enjoying the game and only hope the bug with to less tanks for the AI will be solved next year... as the AI itself (played Germany... and defence of UK is not ok anymore... Looks like USA (which come on time in the game) is not helping UK anymore or is very weak)

Reactions:
CraniumMuppet told us a few weeks ago that the problem is from the bureaucracy since they need to coordinate the respective devs to enact the changes. Not that they are not aware of that small bugs and ahistorical placements or starting ideologies.
Wat? When did I say that?

If you are referring to this

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...dated-mk4-checksum-b22c.1499991/post-27940112

Which was the only one that I could find that was tangibly related it's not about any bureaucracy but rather about processes and prioritization.

Bugs are graded on
Reach
Severity
User pain
Reproducibility
Effort to fix
Etc

As such high impact bugs are more likely to receive a high prio than say, cosmetic ideology changes

And noone tested this how it affected countries which received customized focus trees? IIRC focus trees are part of the payware which has been rendered unusable due to this specific bug.
We did, several times during development. Then it broke somewhere in between X test and Y change. It happens all the time.

We don't have the luxury of testing a fully completed product, we test as quickly as we can while it develops. If your testing is done on ice our testing is done in liquid, at different temperatures.
Anyway. I have been able to voice my opinion on this, which I appreciate very much.

Merry Christmas everyone
You are fully free to voice that opinion, no doubt. However if you want a valuable response from us about X thing it would behove you to, you know, not write like you do to be blunt.

We as devs are just dudes and dudettes who are here because we want to interact with you guys, but we don't need to. We do it because we care about what we do, and we care about this game, we choose to be on the forum.

Paradox devs are in a very fortunate position to be able to be quite open with what we can say, so when you talk to one of us you talk to us directly.

I am actually pretty open about discussing these things (as much as I can), if people just ask. But I only have so much energy to respond to everyone, so I prioritize the meaningful discussions and questions.

Merry Christmas :)

• 17Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Do we have any word weather they are working on the what i like to call F*** Island nations bug?
Where you cant change your naval supply routes, and the game will not choose the best available.
EG; Japan instead of supplying through Pusan with level 4 railways going into china, it chooses Vladivostok with a level 1 railway.
Conquering china is now near impossible, even if you invade the coast as soon as you link up NOPE supply now has to come from Vladivostok.

I'm the mod author and I can confirm that both of the bugs appeared in 1.11.4. They weren't present in 1.11.2. I trust you at Paradox that your control system tells the truth and it's a mistake on my part - I apologize for misleading you and assuming that these bugs are due to the older version of the files reappearing.

In case of Vichy French focus tree - it's locked and cannot progress because the first focus tree check doesn't see Petain as the leader of Vichy France and Petain needs to be the leader of the country for the country. Here's a mod of another user that fixed it by replacing the focus tree file, so it can be easily fixed for everyone:

In case of the collaboration government issues - it's pretty weird and confusing for me right now. I was pretty sure that the file common\resistance_compliance_modifiers/compliance_modifiers.txt looked different after the newest DLC released in November. I thought that because I have to read all of the files after every major update to confirm all of the changes in the game and update all of the mods accordingly and I remember deciding to not update the mod after confirming that the file changed considerably and possibly for the better. It's possible that I read the wrong file and I'm just stupid, but then I can't explain why collaboration governments started appearing again in 1.11.4... Weird and confusing, but maybe I'll eventually find out what happened.

• 1Like
Reactions:
If you are referring to this

One of the reasons why you cant just "push" out a new build like that is because
1. You know nothing about the stability of that build, so everyone has to retest it from the old build
2. It has to go through certification if you are releasing on other platforms, and that's outside your hands
3. It takes hours to build hoi, bigger projects it can take an entire day
4. Looming deadline and now you have a new unknown in the project oh god please no

Of course you get an influx of bug reports if you do open betas, but that does not mean that there is the capacity to fix all of them, even for a patch. So we generally have to prioritize them and which gets fixed first. Just sifting through the bug reports takes time, because a lot of the times after a new expansions you get duplicate issues, issues that aren't bugs, issues that are quite minor, and some really nasty ones. Sifting our the nasty ones vs the ones you can live with takes time from QA to test the next patch.

Of course there are benefits of having open betas, you get a lot of issues reported, but in that case there needs to be capacity to act upon them. That is not for most developers feasible. It also takes a while for consensus to form about a particular subjects regarding balance (see Soviet). In my experience what developers label beta internally and what the players expect a beta to be are usually very different, leading to differing expectations. There is no silver bullet, it has pros and cons and we as a team do not currently has the infrastructure to do a proper open beta program because in that case it would just be a marketing scheme, and while it might help the company it doesn't necessarily help the stability of the game, which is in the end what you want out of the open beta.

Closed betas are easier to manage because then you select the people that you can trust, they sign NDAs and are given access to internal data. That is also why you cant just open it up for everyone. Imagine having 10k people signing NDA's and nothing about the next expansion gets leaked? No way.

This is why we cannot just simply open our database to everyone. It is just easier to manage 50 people than 10k people.

Which was the only one that I could find that was tangibly related it's not about any bureaucracy but rather about processes and prioritization.
Coordinate that many people to develop something together and process prioritization are definitely related to bureaucracy, at least that's what was taught in my experience with dealing with administrative bureaucracy in my country. And i sincerely hope y'all can manage.

To be honest, my related suggestion about Formable Nations has nothing to do with programmers who has much more severe bugs to deal, but usually the content designers who on each DLC development cycle on rare times has some free time on their hand to spent and creating a formable nation to add content and enrich the game.

I really, really appreciates the addition of more elaborate and complex formables like Siberia, Turkestan, and especially Transcaucasia to No Step Back, and that's why i hope the ones who develop those formable can look back to the WtT-era formables and making them more complex, preferably on their free time too. But if they are helping on fixing content-related bugs too right now, then i shall yield first because my formable nations suggestion aren't that important, albeit potentially can make a Arabia run very hard.

The ahistorical placement bugs like Indonesian railways and starting ideology of INS and MAL on the other hand......

Last edited: