• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Not if you're of different religious groups I think. They have to request it, and the AI won't do it if you don't like them very much, which you won't seeing as you're different religious groups...

Btw: Thanks for commenting. I appriciate it. The uppdate will probably be out later today.

The traitors son

Eventually everything falls apart.

From Umeå a dove flies east and riders to all directions. The Ting is called and all men who can bear weapons are called to answer. The Ingrians are asked for help. Weapons are sharpened and contacts are made. Gold is offered to every man willing to fight and loads come pouring in from Finland. But it's not enough. Every bed in Umeå is occupied with warriors, every tavern full, every stable filled to the brim. It's not enough. After all the preparations are done more than two and a half thousand men rests in Umeå. It's not enough.
ck232.jpg

In mid-to-late Juli thirteen ships are seen moving north. In Umeå men prepare for their coming dome. At the newly assembled Ting a last meeting is had:

-"I know you all are scared." I stand before them in armour and with dad's sword at my side. "We have seen the first movements of war. Soon more will come. I know you all blame me. Maybe that's fair. But the Conqueror is coming. He'll slaughter every freeman in this assembly, burn our houses and rape our women before he let's heathen snatch a precious victory from his grasp. You doubt me? I understand. But remember what we called Harald before he won at Stanford? Before the pillage of London and before the fires of Hastings? We called him Hårdstyre, since he gave no mercy and no quarter. He warred with his own ally, Sven of Denmark, for many years even though they had made common cause against King Magnus only years before. He launched a campaign of terror and fear in the southern isles, and all so that he could satisfy his own ambition. No; I haven't brought this doom on us. It was written by his hand years before my birth.
Harald will come and bring his pet priests and his Saxon cut-throats. That's a fact. We are like cornered prey. Harald means to hunt us! Listen; I hear his hounds now. They bark mighty fierce. But not all prey goes down easy. The cornered badger will bite the hound, the boar will charge the hunter and sometimes they live another day. We can buy ourself another day but only with Harald death.
They call him The Last Viking. Let's him join his brothers in Valhalla!"

The speech goes over well. We conclude by nominating Lena as my heir. She's baptised and well versed in Christian faith, and if I should die, maybe she and Johan can sue for peace. I don't know. But as I look out too the horizon I see only dark clouds and rain.

In late July the first Norwegians are spotted. They have landed north-east of us, in the land we call Österbotten. They are the early makings of a great army but if we strike quickly we can still drive them away. I take control over the warriors of Umeå, leading the left flank. Jurva will lead the men from Lycksele and the Finnish mercenaries in the center. Hopefully it will be enough.
ck235.jpg

Their leader is an likely one. His name is Skuli and he's the bishop of Worchester, taking over after his father Torstig of Godwin, brother to the one-time King Harold of Godwin, and the man who persuaded Harald Yngling to set his foot on English soil. For his service Torstig was not granted his old land back but were made a bishop of the most important church in Norway, Nidaros. Now his other son bears his old cloak while Skuli rules an abbey in England. A veteran from the Norwegian Conquest, Skuli is a dangerous opponent.
ck236.jpg

It takes a long time to meet our foe but in late August we arrive. They have fortified themselves on another side of a small river. We count about a thousand men, but heavily armed, a lot better than ours. Still we outnumber them almost three-to-one, so even their advantage in terrain and equipment won't save them. While our army is getting ready, I ride out. The stream in shallow and can be waded through. On a very small island in the middle me, Jura and the opposing commanders meet. There's Skuli, a short man with dark hair and the banner of his ancestors which his father famously betrayed. There's an old but unexpected acquaintance in Count Knud of Rogaland, the same man who I cheated out of a victory last year. There's also a third man, a young man with a small moustache and red hair. He looks almost girlish in his expensive armour.

-"Chief Mikael of greater Västerbotten I persume?" It's Skuli talking. Knud just stands there, looking at me. I don't know if he's angry or not. In Skuli's voice there is little anger though.
-"Yes. And you are Skuli of Worchester, son of Torstig Traitor, are you not?"
-"Indeed I am."
I was hoping to antagonize him enough so that he would give up his position and attack us directly, but he doesn't seem fazed by my insult. I imagine he is used to it by now. I actually feel a sympathy for him for a moment. I make him my offer.
-"If you surrender your' arms we will let you all leave peacefully. No bloodshed is necessary."
-"Unlikely. Your army of disposed tribals and heathens will have to pay heavily if they want us gone".
-"Not all that heavily I think"
-"Really boy? How many armies have you and you're club-footed friend here led, not counting that incident with Knud last year? I've seen many men underestimate a good defensive position, and it seems that you would have been better off at home, preparing the defences rather then waste men attacking us. But you didn't really think about that, did you, boy? You didn't think that Harald might send someone to draw you out while he march on your' stronghold? Go home, boy, and while your' at it, surrender before anyone else get killed."

Skuli turn around and marches across the river again. We do the same. Ten minutes later, horns are blowing, fifteen minutes later the river is turning red with blood.
ck237.jpg

ck238.jpg

As battles goes, it's an easy one. Jurva centre crushed Skuli men while I and Knud respective flanks exchanged arrows. Jurva then turned him men around, attacking Knuds men while we charged forwards, covering our advance, then turning around and hitting the remaining men while we chased down survivors. We only lost a few hundred while the riverbank is littered with Norwegian dead. But Skuli and Knud are leading a surviving group into the forest, and there's no time to pursue. If Skuli was telling the truth, Harald is coming. I give the men little time to rest and start the long march home. Hopefully we're not to late.

Everything falls apart. In October the message comes: King Harald the Conqueror is dead! He died apparently from the infection of lost hand which hadn't have time to heal. This splits Norway and England between his daughter and grandson. The newly crowned King Ottar the First takes England. We will not be seeing his men any-time soon. His daughter however:
ck239.jpg

Queen Ingegerd... She was elected queen in her nephew's stead. The Norwegian lords are where feeling marginalized during Harald's rule, often complaining of him spending more time in England rather than in Norway. When the time came, many decided that a women is better than an absent king, especially a hunchback such as Ottar. Only the Kings brother, ruling the northern-most part of Norway, swore fealty to his king, while even some of the Saxon lords preferred Ingegerd over a unproven boy. But while this diminishes our treat, it doesn't end it. Ingegerd inherited her fathers land and her fathers wars. She'll be coming for us soon enough. But this gives us time to breathe and for reinforcements from Ingria to arrive.

Seeing the betrayal of so many men to Ingegerd and the treachery of Skuli's fathers makes me think I've been to trusting. If given the chance people, my enemies, might well do the same to me.
ck240.jpg

On the 22nd of October we arrive back home at Umeå and brings with us a precious commodity. We bring hope.

This certainly is an interesting development - long live the Chief!

It's not done yet. Holy wars don't end with the death of the belligerent... But thanks for comment!

We head off early the next day after leaving instructions to Fåhraeus and mom. Skuli has lead his survivors in to Lappland, hoping to link up with additional forces from the Trondheim heartland. But those forces are far away and he's lost half his men, while we are in better position than ever. We begin the march.

ck241.jpg

At quick march follow by a quick battle. We stand victorious, with the ravens circling overhead. Skuli and Knud again managed to get away, fleeing through a small pass before we could surround them and bring about a hundred men with them.
ck245c.jpg

Me, Töre and Jurva is sitting in a tent, contemplating our situation and making plans. Töre want to go back to Umeå and prepare the defence, while Jurva wants to advance into Norway's borderland and put pressure on the Christians. There a sound outside and two soldiers, both mine, by the name of Åke and Halder drags a man inside our tent.
-"We found him while we were gathering the dead. For burning. Says he's a nobleman and that he has rights."
-"Did you tell him what we do with all the "commoners"? His so-called subjects?"
-"Yeah, we told him we take their arms and weapons and any gold they're caring, and send them on their way"
-"So what do we do with nobles?"
-"I don't know. Never caught one before".
At this point the prisoner speaks. He's of medium built and height, with a broken nose and dark hair. His beard is scruffy and unkempt.
-"Bloody good show I'll say! My name is Ottar of Lom, son Øystein of Lom, count of that Saxon hellhole they Lincoln. I was called to serve my lord Harald the Conqueror and when he died I stayed on with my good friend Skule. But make no misstake, my loyalty falls is to good King Ottar, a hunchback weakling as he might be, not to any usurping queen. Now; with that said, how will it be? I would much prefer freedom to death, but if you feel that honour demands it I will gladly die. If not, I'm sure that my wife will find a suitable ransom."
ck247.jpg

Either he's really brave or he's good at faking it. But we don't need more corpses. We need gold. The Finns are only here for as long as we can pay them and without them we don't stand a chance against the Queen's armies.
-"First answer a question. If I stay here, the Bishop will surround me. If I go, the Queen will strike. What shall the Rook do?"
-"Well, bloody hell, war ain't like chess. In chess the Rook ain't worth shit, but in war a pitchfork in the right place can end the war, know what I'm saying. But the Bishop ain't a loyal servant of the Queen exactly. He'll be around as long as there's loot and honour to be gained but hit him again and he'll go back to his bloody monks and bloody books, know what I'm saying. The Queen will stick around though. Get you while you're weak. I say the Bishop is the opportune target. He'll go to Mjälleborgen in the south, in Jemtland, to replenish and wait. He ain't a fool. He know that more of the Queen's men will come and that you frankly are a bit outmatched, boy, but also knows that if you were to put pressure on the queen, she might do something stupid. My advice will be to disrupt any effort to garter any larger force and then retreat back to your' own land. Let's see if the Conquerors daughter won't loose heart soon enough. So... How about that ransom?"
-"Done. Send a message to your' wife. Enough silver to buy my a small army. Deal?"
-"Done, my boy. Hope I'll be seeing you again."

There's also another matter. While I was away, Maria turned sixteen.
ck248.jpg

She already has a suitor. His name is Riku of Vorgashor and the rich son of a disposed chieftain in the East. He seeks escape from the court that condemned his father. From what I can tell he's a good man. Maria seems to like him. I agree to the marriage.
ck250.jpg

I'm sad that there's not time to go to the marriage or meet the groom but war calls me. We begin our march to Mjälleborgen two days after the battle.

Päviä has as usual come with me to war, though she doesn't really seem to realize the gravity of the situation:
ck252.jpg

The argument goes kinda like this:
-"Päviä, hon, we can't spend the money we got Ottar's ransom on books. Not when there's a war going on."
-"Why not?"
-"Because mercenaries cost money. Besides, why do you need books? You spend more time in the garden or at court than reading."
-"Because I want something to do in the winter and when I'm in bed."
-"But hon, you don't sleep very much."
-"No, but I'll be bedridden soon enough."
-"Why?"
-"Because I'm pregnant again."

I still don't buy her any books.

In February we catch Skuli men. They basically dispersers without much of a fight. The bishop is finally out of the picture, allegedly leading his men back to England. But our scouts report a much greater threat:
ck255.jpg

In Naumdedal there's at least four thousand men, with an additional thousand in Herjedalen. The main army is under the command of Duke Finn the First of Herjedalen and Jämtland. He's a drunken sod but a competent leader of men. He's taking his men north to Hålogaland while about five hundred are marching south to help the regiment trapped in Herjedalen. The troops in Herjedalen however are already marching south, into Sweden, probably to escape our army.

I make a choice. Even with all our mercenaries, we still can't take on a five-thousand men. We will march south, hoping to catch the men in Herjedalen and secure some ransoms. Then we'll hire whatever men are left in Finland and march north, hoping to get back home before the Norweigians do. Before I give to order I take a moment to watch the dreary landscape of Jemtland. I go out of my tent. Our camp is surrounded with low mountains and high hills, with small streams and wind-ravaged trees everywhere. They don't grow high so high up, only a few meters or so. The sky is dark and grey, matching the coldness of the air. There's the distant sound of thunder in the west. Hopefully the rainstorm will trap the Norwegians and we'll make it home before they do. I can only hope.

Hope don't lasts. Being good isn't the same as being right.

In high summer about two-thousand men come stumbling through the gates at Bjärtrå. Their leader is a dark man with a dark cloak on a dark horse. He's wounded. The men are tired. For the whole spring and summer they've fought and won: In Härjedalen, in Hälsingland, in Medelpad. But they have lost many and in Jemtland they were almost caught by an Norwegian force twice their size. That force is only a day after behind, and they've got nowhere to run. The fort can house this many men but it's still being rebuilt after the ransacking the same men did only a few years ago. That means a battle.

Hope don't last. Either it turns to victory or it turns to sour defeat.

I know my enemy. The drunkard duke has been replaced with the best commander in all of Norway, a man who would teach to Conqueror himself a thing or too about battle. His name is Brynjulf of Bergenhus. He reportedly killed for the first time when he was thirteen. He's seventy-three. He has had sixty years to perfect his technique and he has homed it to perfection. He'll never have the power of other men in Norway, never rival the Dukes or Jarls, but they will never have the respect that he has. And now he has come to kill me.
ck265.jpg

With doom only a day away I tell Päviä that I love her. I hug the twins. Then I send them north and tell them to make sure they have a ship waiting if I were to fail. I tell them to take care of mom and my sisters.

I look out from the party repaired tower at Bjärtrå. In the distance I see a gathering storm and packs of circling ravens.

I hear Päviä scream as they put her on the boat north. She went into labour just as they were taking off. I wish I could be with her. But I can't. Doom is coming.

In the morning I'm awaken by a horn. The horn is loud and piercing, the loudest I ever heard. It's like Heimdall blowing Gjallarhornet . As if the giants are marching and Rangarök is coming. Soon the sun will be devoured and the gods slain and the world will end. The horn stops and I forget about the Doom of Gods. I have my own doom to worry about.

They don't bother to parley even. They outnumber us at every flank. Brynjulf leads the centre and 1400 men directly against Juva's equal number. The only difference is that Jurva's men are tired and lightly armed while Brynjulf commands heavily armed veterans from the conquest of England. He's supported by another thousand men under the command of the opportunistic Count of Leicester, commanding the right flank. On the left my four-hundred men will square off against Duke Finn's 1200.

I think Töre is dead. Maybe Jurva too. Most of them are. There's only a few of us. Jurva's centre has collapsed. There are Norwegians at every direction. I'm leading a desperate charge to get away from the onslaught. We run over the bodies of people we used to know. I stumble over the corpse of the blacksmiths apprentice, his guts colouring my already stained cloak even more brown and red. We run. We fight. We hear the horses and the hounds and the men behind us. Eventually they give up. There's only six-hundred of us left. Six-hundred where there used to be two-thousand. The Norwegians hardly lost three-hundred. There's no chance now. On the way back to Umeå I start writing the message to the Queen and making the preparations for the evacuation of our family.
ck266.jpg

It's days later. The summer is coming to an end. We're resting in the forest. I have already made arrangement with the Ingrians for safety in their lands. My message of surrender is on it's way to the Queen. It's says that me and my family will have a month to leave and that we're guaranteed safety from her realm. That she will spare the life of every man willing to profess themselves Christian. That she will own all of my holdings and all of my land. That she's won. I doubt she'll refuse.

A man comes to me. His name Hjalte. He managed the dogs and the hunting gear at Umeå. He's old, older than anyone else I've ever heard of, and almost blind, but his dogs are do most of the seeing for him. He look tired. Like he has run a long way. He wasn't travelling with the army. Why is he here? Why do he have tears in his eyes?
-"I found your' father."

I run. I hear the howling of the dogs. I will find him. Branches scratches my face. I stumble and fall in the moss. Nearby, birds take flight. Through the creak. Over the stone. The gash at my forehead hurts, my leg feels like shit. My lungs burns. I run. I don't stop. I will find him.

There's a glen. There's a skeleton. He's been dead for ten years. The dogs are circling him. One of his arms are missing. He must have walked into the woods and got attacked by something. I lie in the moss, screaming and crying.

-"It was a bear." Hjalte looks winded. "See the ram-marks on his face? Only bears make that kind of impact."
-"He killed a bear once..." I sound like a small child.
-"Yes he did. I was there, you know. The man who guards you, Töre, was there too. We was on a hunt. There was a big, mean ol' bear in our path, and unusually it didn't go away when it heard people. Was like it was protecting something. There was a fight. Everyone was to scared to face it. Töre drew a sword and was going to make me do it. I thought I was going to die. Then you're dad steps in. He did a speech and he snatched the spear from my hand and he went and killed that bear. He saved my life."
-"So he did a good thing?"
-"Yes, but the story doesn't end. While everyone was congratulating him I had a look around. To see what the bear was protecting. Turns out it had a nest nearby. Found three cubs, half-grown. Maybe one of them survived."
-"So he did a bad thing?"
-"No, he didn't. He did a good thing. He saved me and he saved a lot of people. Just like you have done. But he did a good thing to me, not to the bear cubs. We can't be good to everyone. Guess one of the cubs remembered. Being good isn't the same as being right."

THE END

Last edited:
Considering this is the end, that was a truly fantastic way to bow out. The writing there was absolutely fantastic - I feel quite emotional.

As I said before, I look forward to whatever you do next.

Thank you! I'll start something sooner or later (probably sooner than later. I really like this format.). It probably won't be as narrative as this one though, but you never know.

Overall; I feel quite happy about how this all turned out. I'm only sorry that Mikael didn't get a chance to evolve even more as a character and grow his relationships with others, but I feel the end was nice bookmark.

I'm interested to see what's next from the mighty AON!

I don't know about mighty but we'll see. It's quite nice to see the people I've read making comments on my writing. Now I'm kicking myself for not commenting on a Saga without Heroes.

Next time: I'm thinking af Stenkyrka or some minor scotish bloke.

I don't know about mighty but we'll see. It's quite nice to see the people I've read making comments on my writing. Now I'm kicking myself for not commenting on a Saga without Heroes.

Next time: I'm thinking af Stenkyrka or some minor scotish bloke.
There's still time for that!

Yep, and now it's done. Take a look.

A small afterword

-"Hey Johan. How's the research?"
-"It's going fine. Bit cold in the north but otherwise fine."
-"You're doing the digs in Umeå right?"
-"Yeah, pretty much. Me and Helena and a couple of students. We're finding some interesting stuff"
-"Like what?"
-"Seem the settlement had a boom in the middle to late 11th century. Correspondence and a few actual written sources, I know, weird right? Seem some chieftain or another was very well learned. Evidence actually point to an Arabic or Ethiopian scholar being the chief, although religious practice seems unchanged. There is a lot of Ethiopian relics, but also quite a few of the usual stuff, you know, Arabic coins, things from Greece, loot from England and the like. Helena thinks that this Ethiopian chief is the same that’s mentioned in the Harald Saga”
-“She think that this Ethiopian is the unnamed dark chief of Sweden that the Conqueror goes to war with?”
-“Pretty much. But the name is all wrong. Lot’s of the letters bear the name André Nyhammar, while later ones bear the name Mikael Nyhammar. Probably a legacy-character thing, with a son taking up the mantle of the father. But Nyhammar sound more Swedish than Ethiopian. Maybe it was given to him rather than his original name? André is French, so maybe he was trying to emulate the Norman and French in using a French when writing, although the rest is in Latin.”
-“What happen after the Queen won the war? What’s her name, Ingegerd?”
-“Seem to have been a bit of a migration throughout Finnish lands. They seem to have brought quite a bit of wealth with them. Possibly they settled in Ingria but this would have around the time of the Russian First Unification, so no sure thing there. Anyways Umeå and the Greater Västerbotten was called Norrland, and incorporated into the Norwegian realm until that nasty business with the assination and the Time of Trouble when Sweden snatched it back along with Jämtland. Though I have to say, it seems to have lost most of it’s relevance by that time. Then the colonization of the 14th century came and it became a center of lumber trade and the like.”
-“So it’s the basic story right? Some guy comes to power, tries to change things, struggle bravely and is ultimately defeated?”
-“Yep. Happened all the time, I’m afraid. Nothing to unique.”
-“Any true long-lasting consequences?”
-“Helena don’t think so. I do. See; this is the first time coffee is mentioned in non-Arabic sources in this period. Seems this chief brought some with him and established some trade to Ethiopia to get more. It’s not totally verified but matches the findings. So I’m thinking that St. Brynjulf the Old got to drinking this stuff when he captured the settlement and this is how it got introduced to the Norwegian court. Generally it didn’t change much, although some of the leavings in a dig in Alexandria shows that Norwegians might have a unusually common occurrence in the city.”
-“ And you think it’s because of coffee and not the fact that they controlled two of the mightiest kingdoms in Christendom for a hundred years?”
-“I said it wasn’t verified, alright? Anyways how you’re research? Are the headhunters treating you well?”
-“There only two or three headhunter at the most and you bloody well know it! The rumor that they are vicious murderers are almost completely unfounded!”
-“They did spear the last bloke in the head…”
-“He was trying to steal their fruit! And he was a bloody idiot!”
-“Getting a bit native, are we?”
-“Fuck you Johan. Fuck you very much.”

Last edited:
You were doing so nice in the north...maybe Russia can use some time travellers?

That was an unexpected update! Nice to give this fine story the closure it deserves.

As I said, I'll stay tuned for the next AON.

I wanted to end on a wrap up and underline a major point: I really didn't do all that much, and I wasn't all that special. These things, these minor rise and shifts of power, history is filled with them. These noble struggles, losses, victories, they make up history. A lot of the things I wrote was real. There really was a major trade center in the north of Sweden, though maybe not in Umeå. There really was a fear amongst northen pagans about the growing Christian power. People fought, and bled, and died. There was heroes and villians, on both sides, and one mans hero was another mans villian. And then they where forgotten. Because they didn't really matter. For a few decades that village and not the other one, got a little more wealthy. They worshiped that god openly instead of privatly. But in the end, history didn't always care about small victories or small villians, but that doesn't mean they where pointless or that they didn't matter. I wanted to put my story in perspective. It was a historical fotnote in the eyes of some archeologist or another, not some great dynasty or kingdom. Doesn't mean it didn't matter though.

You did plenty. You made it a fun read.

True, but I mean in the context of the world. Thanks for saying so, though!