• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Actually, I didn't think it was boring at all. I enjoyed the way you showed Mikael growing up and developing his personality. It must take some skill to follow the in-game personality traits while at the same time showing it happen in a believable manner. I quite like him too; he seems quite earnest, and although I can see some of his father in him, he has a distinct voice as well. (His taste in haircuts leaves a little something to be desired in my opinion, but maybe that was all the rage in the 11th century.) You and Djeneba should feel proud for producing such a charming, well-meaning, generally pleasant, and actually rather handsome young man.
Are any of his sisters adults yet? I don't remember the birth order. If they are, or when they become so, I'd be curious to see their character pages.
The letter you gave him was beautiful as well.
(Also, if you'd be interested in any proofreading help, I'd be happy to help, [though I can't guarantee I'll be available all the time] but I won't presume.)
And, uh, sorry to hear about your death, too. That must feel really strange to write about.
Looking forward to seeing where this goes.
I should go vote for this as soon as I can figure out if there's anything else I want to vote for too. But if I had to pick just one, it'd be this.

Thank you! That means a lot!

About the letter. Oh boy, that one was hard to write. Not the actual writing but the fact that I got really emotional when I wrote it. I like to think it came from a real place at least, but damn that was a hard one to finish.

About the whole developing character thing; it's actually pretty simple once you learn to do it. Mostly you make up new stuff about the character as you write (I don't plan my stories but write as I think of something). You start out simple. Mikael for example is naive. All 12-year old's are naive, but Mikael especially. He loves his father. He earnest if not honest. Brave but not a fighter. But at every step you add something. He's patient but firm and proud. Cynical yet trusting. That combined with his intellect probably makes him suspect things but then hide them from himself because they are not "good" or "trusting" thought. He loves his sisters but like all siblings he doesn't always like them. All of those things I add as I write, but they tend to merge without problems. The important thing when writing a restricted character, such as this one, is to not add anything that could be negated later on without (without it being a genuine change of heart). So if I had started to write Mikael as angry and then he would have gotten the Patient trait, I would have a hard time writing a believable change there.

I have a lot of ideas for Mikael but they'll have to wait for a bit longer. I'm not going to update until after the weekend. I'll think things will be a little more exiting now that he actually have to rule himself...

Oh and the girl will show up more in later updates, I'm sure of it.

See you all on the interwebs

André Nyhammar

Ps: Proofreading would be great! Tell me how you want to do things and I'll send you a text from time to time (if you want to do it).

A few quiet years.

First; a quick note. This will be the last update before 1.09 and the republic DLC. Hopefully it won't fuck too bad with my saves.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm still getting ready for the Ting. Mother tells me that people wants me to get married. She says that it'll keep us safe, especially if we can get an alliance with a chieftan in the Baltic region. I don't relish the idea, but dad married mom when she was about my age, and I need to do everything to keep my sisters safe. I start looking at candidates.

There's basically three good ones. One is a girl named Maija, the third daughter of the late High Chief of the Zemigallians. She beautiful by all accounts and nice enough. Her sister rules the Zemigallians and are married to the High Chief of the Kvens, our eastern-most neighbours. There's a lot to merit her, especially fore the safety of our family. Having a strong alliance in the East will do much to save our necks in the coming years.
ck225.jpg

The second one is Päviä Saar, the second daughter of the High Chief of the Ingrians. I hear very good things about her; she's kind and strong of will as well as of body. Her father is also powerful, although not to the same extent as Maija's sister.
ck226.jpg

The third one is Ieva von Kurs, the daughter of Sabe von Kurs, high chief of the Curonians and one of the most powerful men in Lithuania. She shares many of Päviä's virtues, reportedly being kind, strong and proud. Her father could be one of the greatest assets for our survival, and the survival of paganism in the Baltic all-together.
ck227.jpg

In the end I choose Päviä, for the simple reason of her being Finnish. She would not have to travel as far as the other and our people are more used to the Finns than the Lettgallians. Hopefully it was a good choice. A safe choice.

In April it's time for the Ting. We begin with the approval of my rule and that of my chosen heir (at the moment it's Saga. The other ones are to young). But then we get down to the real businesses. People are upset. There's a not of new folks in Umeå and some of the other villagers feels that they are being ignored. Some feel mad that Sames are permitted at the Ting, even though there's only a handful here. But most importantly, people are angry about the south. The problem lies with Chief Thord Eketrä. Several times has he attacked the Swedish lords, seeking to expand southwards. He draws the attention of a powerful enemy, not only to himself, but to us. The Ting want's him removed and the North unified under one ruler. I listen and urge patience. We do not have the troops to strike at Eketrä, nor the opportunity. But I promise them that I'll guarantee their with whatever steps it takes.
ck228.jpg

There are other complaints of course. Pigs that have been stolen. Inheritances that are disputed. Bridges that have been broken. I try to resolve thing the best I can and in May me and my stepfather inspect one of the broken bridges.
ck229.jpg
ck230.jpg

Seems Böru wasn't a bad choice for Mom. I'm glad that she'll have a bit of peace in her old age.

My first summer and autumn go by without much problem. In the winter old King Stenkil finally releases his stubborn grip on life and his third son Inge is crowned king. Inge quickly establishes new regulation and centralizes the country somewhat. A great scholar, he puts many new laws in order and tighten relations with the pope. I'm happy so long as he don't try to enforce his new laws in the North.
ck231.jpg

On my second autumn as ruler Töre tells me the story of dad's great hunt. He had mentioned it before but now he told the whole story. He told me about the bear, of dad's cunning, about the argument. I made a decision. I too should go hunting. I told Töre to prepare the men, and I started to gather my things. In the early September, me, Töre, Oak and about a dozen others set out on a great hunt.

We're gone for about a month. I drive out little band on without rest and me and Oak bring down two whole stags, one being the largest anyone have seen for half a decade. Happy, I return to some even more exiting business. It seems that Päviä has come of age and are awaiting my invitation for marriage.
ck235.jpg

We're wed on a quiet autumn day. Chilly winds are blowing in the air but there is still some warmth left. The ground is thick with yellow and red leafs, making her brown coats almost disappear in foliage. The whole event is marred by her illness, she has a fever and is a bit unsteady when she takes my hand. She smiles at me when I turn to her, a weak but beautiful smile. We kiss and the a light autumn rains starts falling, turning the world wet and cold, and filling the groove with the smell of wet grass.

A month later I'm standing in the same place. This time the first snow is softy falling. There's others there too, Fåhraeus and his two sons, Johan, Lena, Maria, mom... We're looking at a small unlit pyre. On it there's a beautiful, if marred, figure, dressed all in white. There was some talk of burying her, but Fåhraeus said that it was his wife and his choice. I'm silent as he lights the pyre, as Kristina turns to ash and sot. Dad cried a lot, but I don't cry. I don't know if that makes it any easier.
ck236.jpg

I now have two sisters without a teacher. I love them both very much. Lena is bright, just as Margaretta, and one of the great hopes of the family. As much as it pains me, I turn her over to Johan. He's not getting Maria though. She might not be as bright as her sisters, but she's still family and a loved sister. I take personal charge of her education.

In April Saga turns sixteen. To be frank, she's a brat. Pretty but spoiled, envious and lazy. But she's family. I promised Dad not to marry until she felt ready. To keep her occupied I make her High Almoner.
ck237.jpg

A lot of minor things happens to following year. Päviä wants romantic poetry, Maria goes through a bratty phase, I go on another hunt. Nothing major. In October though...
ck240.jpg

A tribe has risen up in Lappland! They're besieging Lycksele. If they succeed, all of Dad's great work will be undone! I realise that this is the moment I've been waiting for. The moment to shine. To prove myself. I gather whatever warriors I can and give them so Böru. Myself, I ride west with only Töre at my side. I'm going to attempt to sneak past the enemy and take control of the siege myself, and hopefully lead some reinforcements in the coming battle.

I make it past undetected. There's a secret passage that dad had dug when he first took Lycksele. I take command of the defenders and prepare for battle. In late October Böru and my men arrives. The Finns are trapped between Lycksele and the approaching army, and after a few days of battle they shatter like the wind. But I'm not happy. I feel robbed of my first victory. I regret not being out there on the battlefield. Dad led his men personally, why shouldn't I? Böru calms me. He says that I had a very important job too, to keep the enemies out. If they had taken Lycksele, we might not have been able to take it back. He says that I'll have plenty of chances to prove myself yet. I ask him how he knows that. He says: "Because safety is not found or given. Safety is taken by the point of a sword".
ck242.jpg

He's right. We can't be safe if we're not strong. The Christians will look north any day now, and if they find us week or divided, they will surly come. I must prepare to march against Thord. I must repeat my fathers victory and secure my people. But not yet. When the time is right. I return to Umeå, filled with thoughts.

This is really beautiful. I'm enjoying it, and I'm enjoying your portrayal of, well, you.

I've been me a few times in this game. :) I like the concept.

Thanks! Writing myself was fairly easy, after all I know the character, sorta. It got harder the longer I played as I deviated from my real personality but I didn't change to much. I got wiser, mostly, and became more honest with myself. The deviation between me, the real life person and me, the ingame character, happened pretty early as I lost my trade-mark lazyness and apathy after only six months. Writing Mikael is harder. The real problem I have to contend with is that he, in fact, isn't all that good of a man. He tries, and he does mainly good things, but he lacks the traits that for me define someone good, most importantly Kind, Just and Honest. He has the trappings of good but not really a strong moral center. It'll be intressting to see how he turns out.

In other news; I have finally got a hang of 1.09 and will uppdate soon, hopefully today. A shame that I didn't wait so that republics could be included in the story more prominently, but as it is there will be not Gotland building tradeposts in the Baltic. And Genoa, Venice and Pisa will all be a bit wierd, with a posibility of other wierd things. Also; I finally have acess to mercenaries! Leaderless mercenaries sure, but It'll do.

The dark coat of a one-eyed wanderer

When I get back to Umeå I'm met by Taye and Djeneba. Apparently bands of Lappish, Finnish and Lithuanian warriors have started to band together. They consist mostly of Sames that have been driven out during father's conquest, people who have lost their home during wars against Sweden and Denmark and warriors who rather make a living as mercenaries than as hunters and farmers. They lack proper leadership but should be loyal enough, if paid. This might be the key to safeguard our people. With these mercenaries and exiles at our back, we can gain a significant advantage against Thord and maybe even against Christian aggression. Mom says that I shouldn't trust mercenaries, but why would they turn against us if the get what they want?
ck22.jpg

In the autumn Sara comes of age. She has a fiery temper but otherwise she's a lot more like me than Saga is. And more like dad rather then mom. I don't have any special work for her but she prefers to spend most of her time in the stables. Hopefully I'll find her a good and honest husband one day.
ck24p.jpg

In early November important news reaches me. The Norweigians are making war against Thord! King Harald the Conqueror, ruling from Ludlow in Shrewsbury and on his seventy-sixth year, have decided to gain a baltic port. And rather than challenge King Inge he's picking on Thord. And after Thord probably us! I gather my council.

-"You've all heard the news. The Conqueror is marching at Ångermanland. Thord himself is marching at Jämtland, hoping to loot and burn enough land to slow the Norwegian advance. What's the plan?"
-"Why do anything while two heathens strike at each other". That's mom talking, predictably.
-"Because he'll be coming for us next, hun". That's Böru. I don't like that he's calling mom "hun" or "hunny", but that's not relevant right now. "We only have one option, join Thord and hope to bloody the Norwegians enough to send them packing."
-"And put six-hundred against the combined might of England and Norway?" I ask the question calmly, but inside me there's a storm brewing.
-"What other choice do we have?"
-"Sending hundreds to die in a war we cannot win is NOT a choice".
-"Then what should we do? Nothing?!"
-"There is another way." Fåhraeus words are careful but his eyes has the same distant passion that they've had ever since Kristinas funeral. His beard is long and unkempt but his mind hasn't worsened a bit from what I can tell. "Attack Thord first. Claim that you're working with Harald. Take Bjärtå before he does and hope that his sense of honour compels him to let you keep it"
There is silence for a while. Then Johan speaks.
-"And stab a ally in the back? Don't you heathens have any honour yourself".
-"He's not a ally." That's Taye. "The little chief has been making plans for war. Now our enemy show himself weak. If we don't act now the Raven of Norway will soon be at our doorstep."
-"He has a point, dear. Harald will be coming for us. Thord's troops are away. This your only chance. To keep your sisters safe"
-"Safety is won at swords point" Böru is thoughtfully nodding as he says it.
There is silence for a while. A wind rattles the hatches at the window and far off I can hear a raven's call.
-"Hear that?" My speech is slow but collected and gaining strength as I speak. "Odin is calling. His dark cloak will soon engulf us. Strive, war and bloodshed is at our doorstep. But what you're asking is too much. To risk the life of so many to do what? To stay of Odin's staring gaze for a few more months? That isn't safety. That's not a true victory. We have nothing to gain here. Why should I march south?"
-"Because the wolves are at our doorstep, you young fool!" Fåhraeus is screaming at me. "Your' father knew the signs and the omens, and the time to act, but you are blind! Harald the Conqueror is on the march! Odin has already swept his cloak over the North. Soon horns shall be blown, blades be broken and the Valkyrias ride to gather their prize. We can't run. We can't sit idly by. We fight and win, or wait and are conquered. Your' precious safety is already gone! It disappeared when you decided to close your' eyes instead of doing a your' duty as our chief and keep us safe!"
-"Safety is not found or given." Böru is looking almost as intense as Fåhraeus. I think for a while. I close my eyes while Henrik seethes at his seat, and Taye is cracking his knuckles, and mom is looking worried. Then I look up.
-"Henrik, sacrifice a boar to Tyr. Taye, ready the men. If death awaits at either side, let's at least fight before we lie down and surrender ourself. We march south!".
ck25x.jpg
ck27h.jpg

I liked the dialogue during the war council scene - it was nicely imagined, and I could see it as real.

This is developing nicely. I'll be interested to see how the war of Ångermanland goes.

The Spring and Winter War

On the fifth of December, a whole moth after we set out from Umeå, we reach Bjärtå. It's a village not unlike that of Umeå, though a lot smaller. Longhouses situated on a hill and surrounded by a wood palisade. It's built inland near a mighty river. We surround it. In this deep winter, the river has frozen, so we can stop any attempts to leave through there. We settle in for a long and cold winter.

Dad said that winter brought out strange things in people. I don't really know what to say but Päviä is pregnant.
ck28.jpg

She insisted that she would come with me when I went to war. Guess she anticipated the boredom and loneliness of a midwinter siege better than I did.

In mid-Januari I receive word that her father has answered my summons and are preparing his men to join us. In truth, I don't think we will need them but if Harald decides that he still wants Ångermanland, it would be helpful to have them at our back.

A week later scouts report of a landing party moving ashore at the coast. It'll be a few days before they get here, and we aren't sure who they are with. Are they allies of Thord? Ingrians (but how would they get enough ships?)?. Norwegians? And if so, what are they going to do once they reach us?

Two days later we find out. About two-hundred men, mostly infantry but with a few horsemen, are slowly making the way up the river. They are northmen, but aren't caring the banner of Harald or Thord for that matter. Me and a small group of warriors ride south-east to meet them. We meet at up with them little after sunrise. They are still getting ready for the day's march. Washing themselves, eating breakfast and gathering their supplies. When they spot us people stop. Since they outnumber us more than five to one, they don't make a shieldwall, but they're carefully watching us. A few men, all with red hair and wearing expensive-looking chain-mail, move to greet us. Their leader is an enormous, fat man with small beady eyes and small red beard.

-"My name is Gudrød Crovan, King of Søreyar, lord Mann and Duke of Galloway. Me and my men are on our way to the besiege the cruel chief Thords stronghold at Bjärtrå, on the request of my father-in-law King Harald Conqueror, king of the Norway and England and Ruler of the North Sea. Now, who the hell are you?"
-"My name is Mikael. I rule the lands of Västerbotten. Me and my seven-hundred man strong host are already besieging that traitorous bastards land."
-"Seven-hundred you say?" He seem to stop and think for a while. I can see that he's tired. He has large bags under his eyes and his movement is erratic. Finally he speaks. "Well then, I think God truly favours us. We had expected a long wait for reinforcements from Harald, but here we find unexpected friends. This calls for a feast, if only there was time. But the war awaits. I'll move up my column and make join your siege of the stronghold. That seems to fair to you?"
-"Yes it does, my King."
-"Good, good."
With that simple gestures Gudrød turns his back to me and walk away.

I return to our camp and soon after Gudrøds troop join us. If we didn't severally outnumber them, they might have acted against us, but as the situation is right now, we seem pretty safe. I wonder how that'll change if the main Norweigian army arrives.

I spend little time with Gudrøds but I gather some information about him by talking to his men, and from gossip within my camp. He used to rule most if not all of the islands north of Scotland before King Malcolm "The Devil" launched the campaign that wagered him his nickname. Now he rules only the Isle of Man itself and claims lordship of the some of the westernmost Scotish towns. His men has little good to say about the man. He's a coward and a liar, but a coward and a liar with some powerful friends. I thank my lucky star that he didn't bring more men.
ck211.jpg

The spring comes with little news. Saga has written to ask to be married. I have to see to that when I get home. Another Norwegian raiding party has been spotted at the coast, but turned back after meeting with Gudrøds 's men. News reach us that Finnish tribes are marching trough Umeå to move down to Sweden, but since they aren't pillaging I see no reason to move against them. Taye writes to say that Denmark, Sweden and the German Emperor has divided the Wendish tribes of the south Baltic between them, not stopping until the reached Lithuania. A small force of Scots join the campaign led by one of Gudrøds vassals. Bored I endeavour to become more like my warriors and join their camp-fire gossip and war-stories.
ck213.jpg

In May the faithful Norwegian reinforcements arrive. Travelling by boat around five-hundred men under the command of Count Knud af Sola. The Count is known as a implacable schemer and a great warrior, having led troops in against the Saxon and Norman. He's a powerful man and the daughter of a Danish princess. I have to watch out for him in the future.
ck214w.jpg

Luckily he doesn't stay. Upset that the siege is already under way he moves south. Otherwise we might have had a problem, but with his troops gone we still severally outnumber Gudrøds men.

Then the moment I've been dreading happen. Seems like Knud didn't go far, for only ten days later he returns. We hear them before we see them. Drums, horns, occasional shouting. Then we see about two-hundred men on horses. Lightly armed and armoured but filled with all the pomp and circumstance you can only expect from nobility. Then we see the men. Glittering chainmail, fur and steel all blend together into a deadly sea. Banners bearing a raven and the two lions of England and Norway appear. My men stop whatever they are doing and watch the army appear from the wood. I just stand there silently. This is it. The Norwegians are coming, brining thousands of men in a show of strength. They will take control of the siege as soon as they can, end their war quickly and then turn north to us, scouring the North of Sweden from heathens once and for all. All hope is lost.
Then... I see him. Fåhraeus. He's looking at the stronghold. For months we have starved them well, and given a few more months they would have surrendered. But now...
He turns to me. He lifts his staff to the heavens and points it at Bjärtrå. I get what he is doing right as he's doing it and draw dad's sword.
-"CHARGE!"
The men are taken by surprise by the order but weapons are drawn and men starts moving in a disorganized fashions toward the palisade. I leap action and starts running towards the fort. Behind me warriors link up and horns are blown. I hear that it's not only mine and Gudrøds soldiers blowing their horns but also the Norwegians. The sound is deafening and spreads across the forest like a thunderstorm.

It's a few hours later. Around me the dead is being gathered in to piles for burning and the village is being plundered. The defenders didn't last long, not after more than two-thousand Norwegians joined the fray. When we charged they had little choice, their soldiers didn't know whom was giving the order and in the chaos people joined the fray. Now Bjärtrå is burning and the war won. Both Knud and Gudrød was to slow and I managed to secure to main structure, a wood keep, for myself before they had a chance to snatch victory from my grasp. I don't know about the future, but today at least we're safe in victory. It came at a heave price though. More than five-hundred are dead, a result of a sloppy charge. More than two-hundred of them are from Umeå. I guess I should feel sad about them, but I don't. I won, and that feels good.
ck216.jpg
ck217.jpg
ck218.jpg

A bloody rider

When I get back there is a lot to do. Saga and Sara both wants to find husbands, Päviä is very, very pregnant and Bjärtrå and Ångermanland need new laws. Then it's the matter of Lappland. During the years since dad's conquest things have settled a bit. Lycksele is slowly returning to the centre it once was, providing me with a bit of tax and a few soldiers. But this also mean they need training, more governing and the like. If this is to keep up I need to start travel more.

In August Päviä gives birth to twin girls. I name them Edla and Aleta. They're both very healthy and scream loudly. Päviä is totally exhausted. I stay up late watching them. I'm not really sure what to feel. I didn't expect kids.

Speaking of which; I made Sara and Saga a promise. Now I'm not shipping them off to a foreign lord or chieftain. I promised dad I wouldn't. Instead I find some people wanting to come here instead. The first one is pretty easy to find. His name is Johan Björnsson, son of the chief Björn of Hälsingland. His brother now rules there and they don't really get along. He has a bit of a temper but is otherwise a good man. I send him an offer to marry Saga.
ck221.jpg

He shows up only a few days later. They are married in a large ceremony in Umeå, with Fåhraeus doing the honours and me leading Saga to the alter. While she might be kind of a brat, she's my sister and I love her. It's a happy day. Hopefully it will be a happy marriage

For Sara I find a man named Jurva Tamm. He's also the second son a dead chief, this time in Finland. I'm apprehensive about the marriage. On one hand; He has an excellent reputation. One of the finest example of a good in all of the Baltic. On the other hand; he's Finnish and has a club-foot. Some of the more zealous of our people would say that means he's cursed. I don't. But maybe Sara do? What if they won't love each other? I ask her about it and she says she wouldn't care, if he was a good man. I set it up.
ck222.jpg

He arrives in a rainstorm but the marriage is held the next day, inside because of the rain. He must have braved the Baltic Sea to get here. Brave and quite romantic. Sara look a bit frightened, but at least she smiles at him before they kiss. I really hope it will work out.

In November Jurva comes to me.
ck223.jpg

He has shown some proficiency in warfare and Taye is frankly better suited to collect taxes rather than lead armies. I agree and then relive Pilhufvud and put Taye in his place.

We have waited for the Norwegian response for the whole winter now. Nothing. No letter, no warnings, no recognition. After the battle the soldiers went home with as much loot as they could carry. We hear that the Conqueror might finally be starting to feel his old age. He's seventy-eight and probably won't make more than a couple years. When he dies his daughter will inherit Norway and his grandson England. None of them rally has the strength to keep their vassals in check. The question is if we can wait a few years. Maybe... Maybe we have to make arrangements.
ck224.jpg

The problem is; he's to popular. A few Saxons joins us but no-one in a major position of power. Meaning that it looks like Harald Yngling will live to see another day.

Imagine a town. Not a large one. It has a wood wall, a street, a few houses. Imagine the evening mist. Imagine the midsummer sun which never fully sets, not this far north. It's a tranquil picture.

Imagine the rider. He's bearded and black of hair. He's almost falling off his horse. The horse is near death from exhaustion. He's bleeding from his hand from riding so long. In his hand is sealed envelope. He has carried all the way from Nidaros, killing two horses to get it this far. As he rides through town people look at him curiously but no-one is all that alarmed. Since the war last year they are safe.

Imagine the message. It short. It's on a parchment that has been coloured brown and red by the riders wound. It carries a seal. It's the seal of Duke Eadmund the first of Sommerset, son of Duke Harold Godwinsson, once King of England.

The message is:
War is comming. The Conqueror will sail soon. Prepare yourself.
ck229.jpg

Odin help you.

I look forward to any AARs you do after this.

Before continuing the story I was going to update you all on some persons of interest. This is King Harald Yngling the Fourth, King of Norway and England, called Hårdstyre, called Haralda, called the Conqueror.
ck226.jpg

He has had a rough life. Old and tired, lacking a hand (which he lost in the last year, I'll remind you. At 77 years old) he's still a great commander and a strong warrior. He's brave but lazy and hates all types of non-Christians. An interesting fact: He's outlived most of his sons, some of his grandchildren and have been king of Norway for forty years. FORTY YEARS. And he wasn't young when he came to power. He's one slick bastard, I'll give him that.

This on the other hand is me:
ck230.jpg

I'm not bad. In fact, I'm pretty great. Charming, knowledge and no-longer a fuck up at intrigue, I could have been a great ruler and usurped my father's collective glory... If there had been time. As it stand now I'm a charming youth with nine-hundred men and some petty alliances to my name.

This by the way is the guy who betrayed Harald.
ck228.jpg

But there's one hope: My pre-teen sister:
ck231.jpg

Now; it isn't her good nature or keen intellect that will save us, but her religion. She's the oldest and best Christian in my family (the other being my youngest sister), and if I were to die and she would inherit, the war would end, since it's a religious war. Not exactly a safe bet, but hey, you take what you can get.

Also if Harald was to die, I could probably survive. But if he were going to die, he would have done so by now.

Okay: I'll get you guys the possibly last update pretty damn soon. Okay?

I look forward to any AARs you do after this.

Lol! Isn't it a bit early for that? Hell, I even consider continuing in another part of the world with the same family (maybe, not sure yet. Could even be a republic.)

Lol! Isn't it a bit early for that? Hell, I even consider continuing in another part of the world with the same family (maybe, not sure yet. Could even be a republic.)

You're probably right - I'm sure you'll defeat Harald and all will be fine.

As for a Republic - pagan Gotland?

Will be a bit hard since Gotland isn't a republic in my game. But maybe Novgorod or something similar? St.Petersburg? Narva. Or maybe just plain ol' Iceland. (Iceland, where people go to die).

A really fun read but I think if you are going to start over somewhere you should go someplace a little less likely to end up with you without a land to call your own. Not the Kaiser or Basileus but still...

And not start as a one-province minor? Heresy!

Wanna know a fun thing? If I had about five more years I would get an personal army of about 1800+mercenaries, as soon as the recently conquered thing disapeared. But if I turn Christian I lose most of them and will have to become a Swedish vassal in order not to be gobbled up by the Finns. Not that it matters anyway. The dark cloak of Odin is upon us, and victory seems out of my grasp.

You can do a lot starting with a one province minor though sometimes you have to bend a knee before you can stand tall with such I have found. Unless you are in Ireland.

I still have actual ways out of this mess, but they're all a bit to gamey for this AAR. The thing is; I have almost logged a 1000 hours of this game, and once took all of Greece as Iceland before 1100... If I break free from my self-imposed constraints of storytelling, I would survive this. But I won't, and as it stands my death or the death of Harald is the only way out.

The problem with bending a knee in Norrland is that you're pagan and therefore viable to revocation from any Christian lord(with at least some crown authority). In retrospect, maybe I should have joined one of the Finnish Tribes, but they probably wouldn't have had the strength to save me either way. Being a vassal didn't make sense from a story perspective or from a game-play perspective, so I didn't.

You can convert to your liege's religion once conquered can't you?