• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I'm still trying to follow this. If Modena, Aquiliea, and Flanders were all defensive wars you had to have a lot of guarantees out. In my thread you recommendeded guaranteeing Trier, Mainz, and Cologne right out ofthe box. Plus gifts. Plus you need a lot of MAs. I can't make the # of diplomats stretch.

Can you explain in baby steps? (In fact I am a baby in EU3. I only have 2--well, 1.9--games under my belt, Bihar in 1.3 and OE in 3.1. Both easier than expected.)

Guaranteeing the three electors and the gifts, were to gain their vote as HRE, not for wars.

I believe Flanders were an offensive war to prevent France from aquiring that COT.

Warnings first MA later. Guaranteeing Rome and Urbino is always a good start. Check what different nation gets for mission etc..

I did not guarantee or bribe Trier, Mainz and Cologne in this game. I do this only when I want to get HRE. Didn't go for that in the AAR.

I used all my diplomats to get military access all over europe. I guaranteed some small nations that get DOWed often. I did not use a single diplomat for RMs or bribery in this game.

Edit: to late
Kami is right. Flanders was an offensive war.

I did not guarantee or bribe Trier, Mainz and Cologne in this game. I do this only when I want to get HRE. Didn't go for that in the AAR.

I used all my diplomats to get military access all over europe. I guaranteed some small nations that get DOWed often.

Name some favorites?

I've loaded a few times and I see that Sardinia and Navarre both get attacked instantly, but that is no use.

Twice Lorraine, but I can't fight Burgundy. (Was going to try BUR next, but OE convinced me that that would be too easy. Hence MKL.)

In your advice in my thread you said don't bother with HRE but in your AAR you were HRE in 1415 .....

Why build inf instead of cav?

Do you recommend throwing away the galleys. Saves about 0.5(!) per year.

On advisors I agree that Collectors and MOMs are to be prayed for, followed by DIPs.

Name some favorites?

I've loaded a few times and I see that Sardinia and Navarre both get attacked instantly, but that is no use.

Twice Lorraine, but I can't fight Burgundy. (Was going to try BUR next, but OE convinced me that that would be too easy. Hence MKL.)

In your advice in my thread you said don't bother with HRE but in your AAR you were HRE in 1415 .....

Why build inf instead of cav?

Do you recommend throwing away the galleys. Saves about 0.5(!) per year.

On advisors I agree that Collectors and MOMs are to be prayed for, followed by DIPs.

Who dows sardinia? AS mentioned in the other thread, the Pope and Urbino. BUR is not that difficult, because the emperor will help as well. Otherwise warn any medium sized Italian..

He isn't HRE in the AAR. Only in the pic posted in your thread.

Don't know why he recommends inf.

Galleys are okay in the Baltic. They will help you against any aggresor from there (only DK has a larger navy) and 0.5 just isn't much.

Nice job. Interresting tactic also with the patchwork empire. Not one that I would want to use though. :p

But about the scorching. I'm not a big fan of it either but as you said this will be a long war and the scorching disappears after 2 years and my guess is that France will hold those provinces for longer than that. Is it only for the negative population growth you don't want to use it? It seems that doesn't do that much damage.

Who dows sardinia? AS mentioned in the other thread, the Pope and Urbino. BUR is not that difficult, because the emperor will help as well. Otherwise warn any medium sized Italian..

He isn't HRE in the AAR. Only in the pic posted in your thread.

Galleys are okay in the Baltic. They will help you against any aggresor from there (only DK has a larger navy) and 0.5 just isn't much.

Milan or Savoy.

I've made it to 1/1/1402. #1 in gross income, although my net cash is 46 (I have a L3 MOM and I'm not maintaining my troops).

I've got an access "loop" that reaches everywhere in the HRE.

Allied to an OPM (Anhalt?) and Bohemia, who is still HRE. Nothing fascinating has happened in this part of the world.

Thomas24ac would advise guaranteeing the minors most likely to be attacked. I assume the idea is to get at least one stealable high-value province--which, this early, means gold or a university. And that means either Thuringia, Aquiliea, or someone in Italy.

BUR has already lost a war; had to release Nevers.

Guaranteeing should be better than warning, no? Then no stab or rep hits for DoW.

Guess I should guarantee whoever is adjacent to BUR and THU but not allied to them, plus PAP (URB is gone) and other states adjacent to Aquiliea or anyone with a university. Who would Aquiliea attack?

Are the french campaigning in Italy?

Nope, Brittany. Just took 3/4 provinces. BUR next? Or Savoy?

BUR is getting beat up by by Lorraine and England, URB by Naples and Genoa.

Have NTB (4/1/1403), started building troops (4 cav/2 inf so far, holdup is manpower).

Have guaranteed PAP and some OPMs adjacent to Thuringia (hoping for that university). Think I should be guaranteeing things adjacent to Brabant for same reason, maybe including BUR (can you say: war with BBB?). Aquiliea, unfortunately, is allied to AUS.

ENG offered an alliance but I said no. Said yes to BOH. And I'm an elector now. Not sure if I should have done any of those things.

Nice job. Interresting tactic also with the patchwork empire. Not one that I would want to use though. :p

But about the scorching. I'm not a big fan of it either but as you said this will be a long war and the scorching disappears after 2 years and my guess is that France will hold those provinces for longer than that. Is it only for the negative population growth you don't want to use it? It seems that doesn't do that much damage.

The patchwork empire was temporary solution. Bohemia had a 30k army and was doing nothing. Nothing happend in Holland, France, Poland or Germany.
I needed a start into the game and didn't find a better way. :)

If I would scorch Holland I could also just disband my armies. It is not part of my plan that France keeps my provinces for more than two years. They will probably. :mad:

These provinces will be the battlefield for some time. I can't manouver and fight best possible if my troops suffer from attrition.

Buying Inf first gives no disadvantages. It only saves some money. I advised against an early war, so enough time to buy Cav later.

We really should take this discussion back into the right thread. ;)

I've missed a bit in the last few days! Lots of progress, you really do dominate Europe now.

Looking forward to see how you handle France. I always have trouble with them myself, so it'll be nice to see things play out differently for a change. :)

Learning a lot

Been trying to grok this in fullness, so I'm taking it slow. So far I've only gotten as far as your Polish war.

Why so many allies? E.g., why Genoa? This was early on. Your were in an Italian war in which they would have been helpful but why ally during the war?

(I like the alliance + warning exploit, although it won't work for really big boys.)

Why the Polish war. The event you got was nice and it came out OK, but it looks like a big risk for low gain. Probably slowed your research and doesn't look like it would add enough income to be able to defend the additional responsibilities.

Finally, wasn't WE causing you big problems by this point or soon after?

Why so many allies? E.g., why Genoa? This was early on. Your were in an Italian war in which they would have been helpful but why ally during the war?

1.) I want to have allies in case I get DOWed.
2) I guarantee Genoa allways. They get often DOWed by the Golden Horde and OE. Ceding Kaffa and Azow is a nice opportunity to get your BB down.

(I like the alliance + warning exploit, although it won't work for really big boys.)

That's no exploit. It's an defensive alliance. You can't make defensive alliances like Germany and Austria had before WW I. So I warn them and are not forced into an offensive war.

Why the Polish war. The event you got was nice and it came out OK, but it looks like a big risk for low gain. Probably slowed your research and doesn't look like it would add enough income to be able to defend the additional responsibilities.

I needed a war, any war. All other countries with more than 3 provinces had about 10 allies. Poland was the only country I could attack without fighting half of Europe. I had prefered Bohemia or Austria in that sitiuation.

Finally, wasn't WE causing you big problems by this point or soon after?

My WE was never above 4. At least I found no screenshot with WE >4.
I get 3 WE everytime I DOWed, did't get a lot of WE from fighting.
It went a bit higher yesterday night, when I fought France.

France

The update one day early. It's constantly raining outside and I had a lot of time at work. My boss is great if he is in a good mood. Beware if he isn't.

EU3_876.jpg

I bought two generals. Crap. Bought a third. Even more crap. That's not what I wanted.
One general with decent shock and maneuver skills would have been enough.

Hagan Reinike is the only general to fight on hostile soil.
Karl Leopold can only fight in my provinces. No maneuver means a lot of attrition.
Magnus Klatt, what the hell will I do with him? Lowers attrition a bit, that's it.

EU3_877.jpg

The two armies in Koblenz and Worms (Alzey? / How is this provinz named in the english version?) are 7/6 and 7/0.
To strong to attack. Antwerpen is a much better target with a lot of Inf. I try to hold my ground as long as possible.
I send my Inf stacks to Kassel and Brunswick, they are better out of harms way at first.

EU3_878.jpg

I hit that army hard, twice. The second battle was over after the first round. 1000 kills/day.
As nice start. That gives hope.

EU3_881.jpg

Can't kill him, to many armies start to pile up and my armies are OOM. I retreat them to Limburg and Cologne.

EU3_884.jpg
EU3_885.jpg

The French army does't show its complete strength yet. I attack every small army I can find.
Push them back and raise the WE, can't do more at the moment.

EU3_886.jpg

The vassals send their troops to Italy. Schwyz, Brescia, Parma and back again. Not much going on here.
As soon as Palatinate is out of the war they will lose free passage and no more enemies appear in Italy.
Hmmm, no, that's a lie. No more French minions appear in Italy.

EU3_887.jpg

Seven month till The Palatinate surrenders. Good job for an emperor with only 1 province. Franken is under control of rebels since ever.
Palatinate stays emperor and they will win the next vote a few month later.

EU3_888.jpg

I hunt small stacks and kill them. A new big stack shows up and I have to retreat once more.
The war is going on for 9 month. I lost only three provinces and my armies are in good shape.

EU3_889.jpg

Spain ends the war in Africa. They have 4 provinces in Africa now.
Hopefully they send some help to me now.

EU3_890.jpg

France doesn't kill me. Maybe more events like this will.

EU3_892.jpg

One year after they DOWed. I can't hold my first defencce line any longer. That are 80+ french regiments on that screen.
Only Cologne and Zeeland can resist a bit longer. Rebels force France to slow down and pile up. No need for me to kill them.
Lithuania came, saw and ran back to mama. They didn't engage.

EU3_893.jpg

My plan works fine so far. WE 8 for France and again I can defend Cologne.

EU3_895.jpg

I pull my armies back from the front to secure provinces. To attaching provinces first.
A bit further away, out of sight, as soon as I find a way through the French lines.

EU3_899.jpg

This time the AI falls for my bluff.
France sends all armies north, not expecting any more resistance.
They suffer a lot from attrition.

EU3_903.jpg

17 month after the war started. My chance to attack. The turning point in this war.
Two stacks of Cav kill the last remaining French troops along the border. None of them have more than two regiments.
My Inf is at full strength and can conquer the first french province.

EU3_906.jpg

Almost done. Only 6k in Zeeland now.

EU3_907.jpg

Oh Yeah. More of those please. I'm not far away from ProdTech 9. More workshops for me.
Some days later I become Papal controller. French has a good relation with the pope. Pitty.
My reputation goes down a bit faster.

EU3_910.jpg

Can't save Zeeland. That stack in Onabrück must not reach France. I send 20K Cav to Limburg to block the way.
Better save than sorry now.

EU3_914.jpg

There are another 20+ regiments in Gelre. Couldn't they flee to Brabant.
I follow up. Don't know when I get a chance like this again.

EU3_916.jpg

43 regiments led by a 6 star general. I'm not strong enough for that. The problem is that I realized it late.

EU3_919.jpg

I try to get a general with some maneuver skills. No luck today.

EU3_921.jpg

I send all my troops to Gelre, but too late. I will lose this battle. My first big mistake in this war and a really stupid one.
A few days later I pull one stack out of Gelre to recover some morale.

EU3_924.jpg

I wait to long. Instead of retreating to Utrecht or Limburg my army flees to Friesland.
Lucky I am that no French army is strong enough to follow me.

EU3_925.jpg

Stab an injured man in the back. That's brave. Naples only has a 2/10 army, but I need all my generals.
Damage control is the best I can do now. My 10K Italian rebelforce hasn't seen a battle in month. Can't send more men to help.
Sweden dishonours the alliance. Cowards.

EU3_928.jpg

Finally. The French flee to Limburg. I follow them and send fresh troops from Münster. My Inf starts sieging in Zeeland and Gelre.

EU3_931.jpg

43 regiments are gone. 25 month after the war started.

EU3_932.jpg

My highest WE in this game up to now. It will raise further.

EU3_935.jpg

Rebels cut the remaining French army off. Time to finish them.
Carefully, they are still strong.

EU3_936.jpg

Ok, not that one. Lüneburg is stronger. I have to wait for a second army.
Naples opens a new COT in Naples. Why? I have no idea.

EU3_939.jpg

The emperor sends his best wishes and a 10K Inf. All I want is a white peace.
Naples owns Sicily, but not Malta.

EU3_940.jpg

My armies spread out. I split them into 3-4K siege units. Only a handful French regiments appear near me.
They die fast.

I never lost Cologne. Zeeland only for a short time and when the war was settled allready.
It was a really big help to get full reinforcements so near at the front.
In Lüneburg are still 30+ French regiments, but they are no real danger anymore.

Very nicely done... I probably would've thrown in the hat when the French started to take provinces all through western and northern Germany (heck, I might've given up at the moment the French declared war! :p). But you had your plan, you stuck to it and, despite a few setbacks halfway through, you made it work.

I really should be taking notes on this, to benefit my next game. :)

i probably would've thrown in the hat when the french started to take provinces all through western and northern germany (heck, i might've given up at the moment the french declared war! :p)

what can i say? Nice work stopping them at least. I have rarely been able to ever take on france.

I remember that feeling. I gave up a lot of games after I lost against France.

Two more great lessons:

-Let the enemy fail to storm something. Obvious once pointed out--but not before.

-AI sets maintenance at 40% in peacetime. Didn't know that.

One Q:

-Why is it necessary to cancel access AND insult? Those insults aren't getting them to DoW you, or if they are it doesn't show.

Nicely done! Neat also! :)