• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Pigzooka

Second Lieutenant
44 Badges
Mar 22, 2018
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Surviving Mars
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Prison Architect
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
The situation in Mongolia at game start is, at best, imperfectly represented. Historically, the situation at the time was that there had been, on and off, a centralization of the Mongols under what was known as the Northern Yuan Dynasty. This was a powerful force from the overthrow of the Yuan by the Ming until the mid-14th century and then again from about 1470 until the mid-1600s when the region was conquered by the Manchu Later Jin. In the period from about 1360 to about 1470 the polity was in a period of regional and ethnic conflict, but from looking at the game's map in 1444 you wouldn't be able to guess that any unified nation was supposed to exist there. At the time the game is looking at, Chagatai (AKA Moghulistan) had repeatedly been defeated, though not conquered, by the Four Oirats under the leadership of Esen Taishi, as Oirat is in game. Esen had also managed to conquer Mongolia, which is represented as a puppet under him, but he also conquered Kara Del and even got the allegiance of the Buryats and the Jurchens, going on to defeat and capture the Ming emperor Yongzing in battle.

While this large empire would be a force to be reckoned with if all of Esen's conquests were represented as puppets, and probably more than a little broken, I think there should be game mechanics in Mongolia to at least represent the leadership of the Northern Yuan. It would be as follows:

Mongolia, Chagatai, Kara Del, Buryatia, Korchin, and all three Jurchen tribes are tributaries of Oirat at game start. There is a special panel (a la Mandate of Heaven or HRE) showing who is the current lord of the Mongols, having claimed the emperorship of the Northern Yuan. This would initially of course be Esen Taishi.
- Subjects of the Northern Yuan Emperor could claim the emperorship using a special CB. It would be them and their allies (those allies who were also subjects of the Northern Yuan would be forced to join, like in Claim Emperorship in Japan) against the Emperor and their allies.
- There would be a mechanic called Imperial Legitimacy, sort of like Mandate, which would be increased by winning battles and having loyal tributaries and decreased if tributaries were disloyal or very large.
- A nation could instead declare independence from the Northern Yuan, as the Jurchens did, but instead of having to fight the emperor's allies, they would have to fight all remaining tributaries that were not their allies.
- Ming would not lose mandate from not having the emperor of the Northern Yuan as a tributary, but they would lose extra mandate from losing battles against them and their subjects, so they would have an incentive to leave the mongols to themselves.
- A nation declaring independence from Northern Yuan would then get an Incorporate CB on all states remaining within the Empire, which would allow them to make all of the Northern Yuan's tributaries and the Emperor vassals of theirs in one single war, mirroring the formation of the Later Jin. This would make Manchu more powerful when taking on Ming.
- The Emperor could incorporate subjects at a cost of Imperial Legitimacy that scaled with development. If the Empire was united under one flag, you could form Northern Yuan, giving claims on all of China and triggering the Unguarded Nomadic Frontier disaster in Ming. Alternatively, you could instead spend Legitimacy to make your vassals better (more force limit contribution, income, etc.). A fully reformed and centralized Northern Yuan that was not united would also trigger Unguarded Nomadic Frontier.
- Finally, the Nomadic tech group would be improved to grant a second upgrade to cavs before mil tech 10. As it is, you can't have an edge over Ming unless you attack before they have mil tech 6, which creates an ahistorical rush to form Qing.
- Northern Yuan would then of course form Yuan when it conquered Beijing.

What do you guys think? I am kind of spitballing here, but I think making the Mongol tribes more resistant to Ming would be a good thing. Usually they are curbstomped by Ming very quickly and nothing impressive ever happens in that region. Also, forming Yuan is kind of unstructured compared to forming Qing, which this could fix. Finally, it adds historical accuracy and immersion, which I am always a fan of.

I like the idea; that area could use some polishing. Despite my best efforts, most i managed to achieve in the region is add a bunch of new provinces in my mod. Its really kinda hard to get good maps in English around EU4 start date that show all proper states/entities and what not.

Not bad idea. Only problem I see is the addition of another "China button." Generally these UI elements should be justified by their importance through the whole timespan of the game. "Emperor of the Mongols" might be relevant for the first half of the game, but it's pretty much inevitable that Russia will eat everything before you can get into 1700s. How would whole mechanic even work after Manchus conquer Ming? Or after Russia annexes all of them? HRE, Papacy and Mandate of Heaven buttons are generally always there, except for rare conditions when they can be destroyed.
Other than that, good stuff!

Pretty solid. Frankly, imo, priority is making Chagatai a formable while current Chagatai is renamed Moghulistan. Then dealing with how obnoxious the decision to form Yuan is - maybe even outright replace Mongolia with Yuan at gamestart.

Right now the entirety of Central and East Asia in the Northern hemisphere is garbage corruption land with nothing of interest except two gold mines (one of which is technically in Europe, the other is a desert) and Manchu culture. And I suppose the Tengri religion as a whole, if you want to count that.

It could use something. Anything. It's worse than nothing, it's nothing that adds corruption and infinite rebels.

There were plenty of those kind of topics in the past(I did my own topic some time ago https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...ements-and-some-cosmetic-qol-changes.1121915/). The steppe mandate might be interesting thing - might also boost AI hordes because AI hordes suckass.
To be honest anything that would improve the flavour of the region, boost ai hordes to make them not being completely incompetent would be great.

That being said.. Looks like paradox is not interested currently in doing steppe hordes dlc anytime soon which is huge shame considering this region really lacks some love.

There is lot to do even more north of it :D
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/more-possible-siberian-tags.1156514/
I wish devs will at least release free patch for northern Asian regions.
DLC would be awesome, adding new horde mechanics. One guy asked what if Russia annexes all, well Russian colonization mechanic should be different (similar to trade companies but with Cossacks) so it shouldnt carry that many soldiers around Siberia.
By the way there could be more Manchu nations.

I propose to remake the North-East China and Manchuria

I propose to make the culture of Liaodong Uryankhai region. With 3 military districts of Ming: To-yen, Ta-ning, Fu-yü. These districts were created in 1389, when the Chinese took Liaodong from the Mongols.
When China intensified, they became vassals of China, when the Oirats intensified, they became vassals of the Oirats.
Esen Taishi in 1444 persuaded the heads of the Mongol tribes in Western Gansu: Sha-сhou and Handong to attack Hami. They were considered vassals of the Ming dynasty, but went over to the Oirats. So he was preparing for war with China.

- Ming campaign against the Uriankhai https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ming_campaign_against_the_Uriankhai
- Manchuria under Ming rule https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manchuria_under_Ming_rule

6b10972a9850.jpg

chinamingqing.jpg

I made an attempt to redraw Manchuria last year. https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/siberia.1116505/page-2
There is a map, but there I cannot read, because the letters are Manchu.
According to Chinese, Manchu and Russian information, Manchu north of the Sungari River was not. There lived wild Jurchens or in Russian Ducher

- Duchers https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duchers

Last edited: