[MOD] VIET Events for CK3 - a Flavor and Immersion Event Mod

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hooray for VIET!

(Berber update soon???)

For my culture/region themed mod WIP, as the first batch of content will feature Siwa and Siwa Oasis is primarily occupied by Berbers - linguistically a fairly divergent branch of it to my knowledge - that must count, right?

Congratz for the CKIII release.
I hope there is delicious Baclava in this Version?

Lol not that much Baklava yet but more will be coming soon, guaranteed. I think there is one or two events in the current version, though.

• 1Haha
Reactions:
Great to see VIET showing up for CK3. I assume you're planning to make extensive use of the stress system along with traits to really dig into that roleplaying? :cool:

Great to see VIET showing up for CK3. I assume you're planning to make extensive use of the stress system along with traits to really dig into that roleplaying? :cool:

Indeed, even with the stuff I've added so far I've used the stress system a lot (maybe more than I expected). If you recall in old VIET CK2 a lot of events resulted in small chances to change traits, which I honestly didn't like from a mechanical POV due to potential trait spam, but the stress system now really helps reduce my reliance on that. Stress effects are somewhat minor overall, so far, but there are a few cases where they are significant.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Looks amazing with some new events, that will give some more personality to the game. However I clicked subscribe in Steam, but it still just say version 1.0 in the mod overview window. Is this normal?

Love this. :) good stuff man. I basically wanted to make a mod like this, but you already done it! :)

Thank you!

Looks amazing with some new events, that will give some more personality to the game. However I clicked subscribe in Steam, but it still just say version 1.0 in the mod overview window. Is this normal?

Thanks! And do you mean something like this?

1600837810115.png

I don't think you need to worry about that, I keep forgetting to change that to the current version of my mod but it shouldn't affect the game (especially since we haven't had any major patches out for vanilla yet anyways, but even then it's not anything to do with the mod itself).

• 1Like
Reactions:
I'm having a lot of fun with this mod :) One suggestion I would make is to make the events slightly rarer, but the modifiers more powerful. A couple of them have +0.0 monthly prestige, which I suppose is really 0.05 or something but looks quite weird. Also all the +10 prestige and +10 piety are just a bit too weak for me. If you get the events less often in a given campaign, you can make the results more powerful by a factor 10 (to be consistent with vanilla) without unbalancing the game. That's just my opinion though :)

• 1Like
Reactions:
I'm having a lot of fun with this mod :) One suggestion I would make is to make the events slightly rarer, but the modifiers more powerful. A couple of them have +0.0 monthly prestige, which I suppose is really 0.05 or something but looks quite weird. Also all the +10 prestige and +10 piety are just a bit too weak for me. If you get the events less often in a given campaign, you can make the results more powerful by a factor 10 (to be consistent with vanilla) without unbalancing the game. That's just my opinion though :)

It may also be better to give lump sums rather then tiny modifiers for short periods. The result is the same, but is simpler to code and to understand.

The mod is good but I feel the consequences for many of the events are insignificant.
Adding or losing 2 or 3 points of stress means nothing over the long run. Another thing you could do is to create dilemmas for the player with every option. Sometimes one option is clearly the "right" one to take, given the bonus in question, versus the penalties of other options.
Otherwise, it's a very good mod that adds flavour to a game that for now is too much war focused.

Paradox Download Version is now up!
Download Here

Since I've had a few requests for it, I've uploaded a version to the Paradox Download system. To be blunt it was pretty wonky and a pain to figure out for more than an hour (part of the reason why I didn't originally upload it was because I couldn't even log into the thing properly and gave up), but at least it's up now. Because I do not use Paradox Downloads, please let me know if you encounter any issues using this version of the mod.

@Keizer Harm @Malorn @Torredebelem Thanks for the feedback! Concerning the small bonuses/maluses, this has been a trademark of VIET since its earliest days, and something that's been brought up a lot. I know this is not something everyone's agreed with me on in the past, but I am pretty stubborn on this as I want to emphasize just how irrelevant and mundane some of these events are for immersion's sake, rather than make it more about min-maxing gameplay with important effects. Much of VIET is intended to be about everyday, ordinary stuff that no one cares about too much (as opposed to big honking event chains and murders and world conquests, though I have a bit of that on occasion), so not everything will have significant consequences - so drinking a nice cup of water should not give you -30 stress when -2 stress is more proportional to its IRL effects, or stubbing your toe in front of everyone should not give you -50 prestige when -5 prestige makes more sense given how irrelevant it is.

That said, in the most recent update I have in fact increased the range of the bonuses/maluses from ~1-10 to ~1-50, and the average from ~5 to ~10-30 respectively, given CK3 seems to have somewhat more inflated numbers for the "mana" in general compared to CK2. I may move a few more events from the ~10-20 range to the ~30-40 range in future updates, but only a very few and in cases where I feel it is 100% justified with my philosophy in mind.

Anyways, as to your other specific concerns:

A couple of them have +0.0 monthly prestige, which I suppose is really 0.05 or something but looks quite weird.

It seems that small values like 0.05 do not register with CK3 the way they did with CK2, so I will have to go fix those with 0.1 being the minimal now.

It may also be better to give lump sums rather then tiny modifiers for short periods. The result is the same, but is simpler to code and to understand.

Personally I prefer modifiers rather than lump sums in some cases for flavor (not to mention modifiers can do a lot of things in terms of effects, whereas with lump sums I'm basically stuck with adding or subtracting a few "mana"), but as mentioned above the issue appears to be that CK3 does not show smaller amounts compared to CK2, so I will have to rectify that.

Another thing you could do is to create dilemmas for the player with every option. Sometimes one option is clearly the "right" one to take, given the bonus in question, versus the penalties of other options.

Do note that some of the events have stress effects that might not show up depending on your traits. In general, I try to make the options in most events have some bonus (or lack of a malus, if the other options have a malus), even if they're not entirely even. I think there are only a handful where there should be one obvious choice, the others may have options with slightly better benefits, but all the options would have some kind of benefits. In fact it is very rare I will have an option with no effect (and even then only because the other options have maluses). Personally I'm not too concerned about min-maxing (given I don't care about it), as long as all the options have some kind of benefit or lack of a malus.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
[..] Personally I'm not too concerned about min-maxing (given I don't care about it), as long as all the options have some kind of benefit or lack of a malus.​
Oh, rest assured I am not the least concerned about min-maxing!

I just suggested different dilemmas to turn every choice more meaningful and difficult. And yes, I can cofnirm that happens not across your mod but only in some of its events. More important for me is the minimum penalties or bonus most of your events give. If you read other userrs posts, you'll see it is a common suggestion to increase them.

Oh, rest assured I am not the least concerned about min-maxing!

I just suggested different dilemmas to turn every choice more meaningful and difficult. And yes, I can cofnirm that happens not across your mod but only in some of its events. More important for me is the minimum penalties or bonus most of your events give. If you read other userrs posts, you'll see it is a common suggestion to increase them.

Are there any in particular that you felt had no consequences and had an extremely obvious choice? For example if it's, say, the event is about you having some introspection and gaining 5 piety or 5 prestige, that's pretty much WAD since that's a pretty unimportant thing; but if say it's an event where you meet a foreign envoy and it's +10 prestige at the moment when my range is currently ~1-50, then I could probably change it to +40.

In general I'm happy with increasing the range to ~1-50 from where it was at ~1-20 previously, I feel that makes it consequential enough without sacrificing VIET's philosophy of focusing on irrelevance; the only thing might be to tweak a few of the values - as I'm sure there's quite a few I might have missed or didn't think through - rather than changing it across the board (off the top of my head I think there's one event with an envoy where I'll probably need to shift it from a 20-25 loss where I have it at the moment to maybe around 40). Honestly 50 is too high for my own personal taste, but I only reserve 50 for a few special events anyways and keeping it as the upper limit. Very roughly, at the moment the way I've designed it,, ~1-20 gain/loss range is intended for irrelevant things, ~10-30 range is for minor interactions (like talking with a servant), and ~20-50 is for major interactions (like meeting an envoy). Stress is a bit different, but I try to have slightly lower values than vanilla, and do keep it mind it can be highly dependent on traits.

Last edited:
Are there any in particular that you felt had no consequences and had an extremely obvious choice? For example if it's, say, the event is about you having some introspection and gaining 5 piety or 5 prestige, that's pretty much WAD since that's a pretty unimportant thing; but if say it's an event where you meet a foreign envoy and it's +10 prestige at the moment when my range is currently ~1-50, then I could probably change it to +40.

In general I'm happy with increasing the range to ~1-50 from where it was at ~1-20 previously, I feel that makes it consequential enough without sacrificing VIET's philosophy of focusing on irrelevance; the only thing might be to tweak a few of the values - as I'm sure there's quite a few I might have missed or didn't think through - rather than changing it across the board (off the top of my head I think there's one event with an envoy where I'll probably need to shift it from a 20-25 loss where I have it at the moment to maybe around 40). Honestly 50 is too high for my own personal taste, but I only reserve 50 for a few special events anyways and keeping it as the upper limit. Very roughly, at the moment the way I've designed it,, ~1-20 gain/loss range is intended for irrelevant things, ~10-30 range is for minor interactions (like talking with a servant), and ~20-50 is for major interactions (like meeting an envoy). Stress is a bit different, but I try to have slightly lower values than vanilla, and do keep it mind it can be highly dependent on traits.
You can make it a game rule. Have every modifier and lump bonus multiplied with a single scripted value. Then divide the occurrency of your events by the same scripted value (so as not to unbalance the game). Then make that scripted value lower or higher depending on the game rule. That would allow for both philosophies

Thanks for your detailed answer.

Taking your numbers and from what I would suggest, I'd say introducing things between the 10-75 range. Lesser than 10 in piety or prestige its pretty much unnoticeable. Maybe adapting the texts of the events to make them more dramatic, thus giving a reason to increase the range of effects.
Speaking of the texts, events should depict extraordinary and unusual circumstances worthy of interrupting the game flow.

A game rule, as @Keizer Harm suggested, can be a very elegant way of addressing the concerns of your users.

You can make it a game rule. Have every modifier and lump bonus multiplied with a single scripted value. Then divide the occurrency of your events by the same scripted value (so as not to unbalance the game). Then make that scripted value lower or higher depending on the game rule. That would allow for both philosophies

I see a few scripted values for the vanilla modifiers, but it's only for a few things like fertility, and doesn't seem possible for all of the other tons of potential effects modifiers do and even if it was possible I don't really want to bother with creating special values for every single one of those effects just for a non-default game rule. The other alternative would be to have multiple variations of the same modifier but that would feel excessive to me.

Scripted values for lump sums and a game rule to go with it, however, was actually something I considered but decided not to do since I didn't want to go through the effort of figuring it out (and I felt vanilla's base values were too high). But I can consider looking into it again, if I can figure out how to actually get it to change with a game rule (maybe something like a scripted effect) and if I can figure out some kinks with it like how to properly randomize the values, so if I do figure it out and don't give myself a headache it probably won't be this weekend's update.

Thanks for your detailed answer.

Taking your numbers and from what I would suggest, I'd say introducing things between the 10-75 range. Lesser than 10 in piety or prestige its pretty much unnoticeable. Maybe adapting the texts of the events to make them more dramatic, thus giving a reason to increase the range of effects.
Speaking of the texts, events should depict extraordinary and unusual circumstances worthy of interrupting the game flow.

A game rule, as @Keizer Harm suggested, can be a very elegant way of addressing the concerns of your users.

75 is way too high for me, tbh, as mentioned even 50 I think is already excessive by my standards, but I am open to moving some events more towards the 30-40 range (which I feel is already very consequential) if there are specific ones you can think of. The ones under 10 are intentionally meant to be unnoticeable for rhetorical effect, so I'll prefer to leave that as is (though a few I might be convinced to move to the 10-20 range - I may have missed a few in my big sweep for 1.0.2). Like mentioned I'm extremely stubborn on this, and moving from the ~1-20 to ~1-50 range is the only compromise I've been willing to concede for VIET in all 8 years of the mod's existence, though more so to compensate for CK3 resources values being more inflated than CK2 rather than suggestions to change VIET's philosophy; I honestly originally considered moving to ~1-30 only with the average moving from ~5 to ~10-15 as already a huge compromise. But as I said above I am open to a game rule if I can figure out how to do it in a smooth and easy way.

As for interrupting the game flow with unusual circumstances, interrupting the game with irrelevant mundane stuff has been VIET's schtick for a very long time, which I know isn't really to everyone's taste but what I like from an aesthetic/artistic/storytelling POV, both as a player and as a modder (which I suppose fits my preferred focus on mundanity in my normal creative writing and the media I like to consume - I hate exciting things usually lol). Do note however that the way the mod is designed, it actually has three separate groups of events that are triggered independently of each other, each with increasing levels of extraordinariness (well, technically four if you count the really rare event chains) - so the ordinary stuff is actually not reducing the chances you'll get the more interesting stuff, it's just the interesting stuff is meant to be rarer anyways so it might seem like you get more irrelevant stuff in comparison. A few people have suggested it to me but I am not open to using a game rule to disable the irrelevant stuff, however, as that would mean pretty much mean disabling half the mod.

@Keizer Harm @Torredebelem

So I realized I could do the game rule thingy without too huge a hassle on my part, I was being a bit of a dumbass earlier (I'm a historian and writer by trade, who's bad with this kind of logic) and thinking I had to do something complicated with scripted values, when I can just do it with scripted effects (i.e. if you know about how the code works, I could for example have an effect, "VIET_small_prestige_gain_effect" that, if using default rules, gives 10 prestige, but if using the alternate rules, gives 20 prestige). No guarantees if I can make it in time for this weekend's update, but if it works as I intend it to it probably would alleviate your concerns hopefully even if the mod isn't balanced with that in mind.

I think atm probably an alternate rule for 2X the current gains/losses should work. Do note this will only affect lump sum gains/losses of piety and prestige; modifiers would be too messy given there's a crapload of different modifiers with different effects, and for stress, the stuff that goes behind stress gains/losses is also more complicated and extremely dependent on traits so I don't want to bother touching that (and I feel the case for increasing its effects is less convincing anyways, as I actually rely on vanilla's stress gain/loss values for most of the events and the balance of that is totally out of whack even in vanilla).

Last edited:
  • 1Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
@Keizer Harm @Torredebelem

So I realized I could do the game rule thingy without too huge a hassle on my part, I was being a bit of a dumbass earlier (I'm a historian and writer by trade, who's bad with this kind of logic) and thinking I had to do something complicated with scripted values, when I can just do it with scripted effects (i.e. if you know about how the code works, I could for example have an effect, "VIET_small_prestige_gain_effect" that, if using default rules, gives 10 prestige, but if using the alternate rules, gives 20 prestige). No guarantees if I can make it in time for this weekend's update, but if it works as I intend it to it probably would alleviate your concerns hopefully even if the mod isn't balanced with that in mind.

I think atm probably an alternate rule for 2X the current gains/losses should work. Do note this will only affect lump sum gains/losses of piety and prestige; modifiers would be too messy given there's a crapload of different modifiers with different effects, and for stress, the stuff that goes behind stress gains/losses is also more complicated and extremely dependent on traits so I don't want to bother touching that (and I feel the case for increasing its effects is less convincing anyways, as I actually rely on vanilla's stress gain/loss values for most of the events and the balance of that is totally out of whack even in vanilla).

Thank you for your flexibility in accomodating users sugestions!
If you allow me to make another sugestion, place a low hard cap at 10 for any events as some are giving some very tiny +-2 in prestige and piety. As for modifiers and following the suggestion of another user in this thread I would increase a bit their overall effects even without including them in the rules.

The suggestions given HERE could be all mine.

Anyway, great job and thank you!

Thank you for your flexibility in accomodating users sugestions!
If you allow me to make another sugestion, place a low hard cap at 10 for any events as some are giving some very tiny +-2 in prestige and piety. As for modifiers and following the suggestion of another user in this thread I would increase a bit their overall effects even without including them in the rules.

The suggestions given HERE could be all mine.

Anyway, great job and thank you!

Tbh I'll keep some of the lowest ones as is; as mentioned I approach it from the POV of emphasizing the irrelevant ordinariness of it and I consider that aspect a crucial part to the experience and my vision for the mod (consider it something of an artist's conceit coming from my creative writing background). I'll probably bump a few of the prestige/piety ones to 5, though, which would make them 10 in the doubled game rule, but there are some I can't see making any sense other than having it lower than 5.

For modifiers I will be increasing any that show up as "0.0" to "0.1" even though it is in reality stuff like 0.05 in the code, for better clarity so players aren't confused - that's definitely a bug that needs to be fixed - and will increase a few of the other prestige/piety modifiers to continue to be proportionally in line with the smaller ones.