[MOD] VIET Events for CK3 - a Flavor and Immersion Event Mod

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
RICE is very impressive, but it is nice to see more VIET content!
Yeah I'm not blind to the fact I put most of my modding time and effort into RICE over VIET these days lol. I decided the North African attire DLC was a good excuse to add in some more events. I keep telling myself I should do smaller VIET updates so I can add in more events more regularly, but we'll see if I can keep up with that, it is nice to work on VIET in between RICE sometimes since it's smaller and generally simpler.

• 2Like
  • 2Love
Reactions:
Version 1.11.3 "Bache Bene Venies" (Released 2/8/24)
WENd1G5.jpg

VIET 1.11.3 "Bache Bene Venies" is out!
Steam Workshop Download | Github Manual Download | Paradox Mods Download

Discord Server | Website

“Istud vinum, bonum vinum, vinum generosum, / reddit virum curialem, probum, animosum.”
[Poetic Translation: This is wine, and this good wine; this is what we're after / Wine, it lets us all be friendly, fills us up with laughter.]
- From Bache Bene Venies, an 11th - 13th century drinking song by university students

Just a small update to bring the total number of events to 1101!

New events added in this version: 13

• Added events with the following themes:
    • 5 Jokes
    • 8 Night*
  • Miscellaneous bugfixes

*Adapted from VIET for CK2

oVpWJfO.jpg

• 4Love
  • 2Like
Reactions:
Version 1.12.0 "Rattus" (Released 3/5/24)
GWDnTbC.jpg

VIET has been updated to Legends of the Dead / Patch 1.12!
Steam Workshop Download | Github Manual Download | Paradox Mods Download

Discord Server | Website

“Consider the little mouse, how sagacious an animal it is which never entrusts its life to one hole only.
- Plautus (254 – 184 BCE), Roman playwright

The VIET 1.12.0 "Rattus" update is now out, bringing the mod officially up to date with the newest patch/DLC. Remember you may need to unsubscribe and resubscribe (multiple times if necessary) for mods to update properly.

I will look to possibly adding more legends for future VIET updates, as well as adapting some existing events to affect (or be affected by) the new legitimacy system. Additionally, stay tuned for further info about upcoming content coming to VIET!

New events added in this version: 7

• Added 7 rodent-themed events
  • Added a couple East African event backgrounds
  • Miscellaneous bugfixes

XILvkua.jpg

2BMsQEk.jpg

• 4Like
  • 3Love
Reactions:
Yeah I'm not blind to the fact I put most of my modding time and effort into RICE over VIET these days lol. I decided the North African attire DLC was a good excuse to add in some more events. I keep telling myself I should do smaller VIET updates so I can add in more events more regularly, but we'll see if I can keep up with that, it is nice to work on VIET in between RICE sometimes since it's smaller and generally simpler.

Have you looked into leveraging Large Language models to help you write up flavor text, etc.? It might help you focus more on coding vs. trying to write all the flavor.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I have no interest in that, besides the fact I find the text they spew out pretty generic and uninspiring currently, it's pretty easy for me to write text, and that is my main passion anyways. I actually have hundreds if not thousands of event text drafts I've written over the years, covering a variety of topics and themes, many of which will never see the light of day since there's just so many I can adapt.

• 5Like
Reactions:
I have no interest in that, besides the fact I find the text they spew out pretty generic and uninspiring currently, it's pretty easy for me to write text, and that is my main passion anyways. I actually have hundreds if not thousands of event text drafts I've written over the years, covering a variety of topics and themes, many of which will never see the light of day since there's just so many I can adapt.

You've got to use Custom GPTs to make it not write like a generic bot.

Reactions:
GPT-4 and Claude 3.0 are plenty powerful. But these models are highly dependent on good input for good output.

Anytime that people complain about generic stuff being spit out of these models it's quite likely that the person fed generic simple prompts to it.

These tools are capable of some truly amazing stuff, but you have to put a lot of thought into the input and if you want repeatable results you have to craft input templates that include clear instructions and several examples of what good looks like, meaning your prompt can easily become pages worth of content.

ChatGPT did wonders to bring this tech to broad awareness, but the bad side of it is that we are all, even in the Tech industry, stuck in this Chat interaction mode of interacting with these tools. Chat, by its very nature, leads to short paragraph back and forth, which funny enough is a pretty crappy way to unlock what makes these tools incredible.

I work in the field and I can tell you that 90% of what companies in the real world are using the tech for is creating chatbots and search tools... And then they get upset when they see marginally better results for a much higher cost.

Reactions:
I don't have time or energy to work on trying to create something custom when I'd have to spend a lot of time revising whatever text it spews out at the end of the day, or wasting all that time fine-tuning the prompts so much to create something I want, when I could just quickly write a bunch of events myself in the same amount of time or less, and find much more pleasure in that. If other people want to do that, that's their perogative, nor do I think these tools don't have other uses that might be legitimate (that a lot of the hype often downplays). But right now, I have am not a fan of that approach the slightest for myself personally - call me an old-fashioned writer if one must - and it won't improve my own personal productivity nor enjoyment by any relevant margin.

• 5Like
Reactions:
From the event windows that pop-up is there a way to tell which DLC/MOD/BASE GAME that specific event is coming from? Like a hidden tool-tip or something?

From the event windows that pop-up is there a way to tell which DLC/MOD/BASE GAME that specific event is coming from? Like a hidden tool-tip or something?

It's possible to mod it so the event window shows a graphic on the upper right that helps identify where an event is from - it was a functionality added with the Wards and Wardens DLC. For instance, here's an example I found from a screenshot online:

crusader-kings-3-wards-and-wardens-fated-child.jpg

I haven't done it for my mods since I haven't had time to get to it yet, though some other modders have offered to help me with that effort.

Otherwise, another way to do it is by turning on the debug/console command mode. When you turn the game in debug mode (which can be done through an option in the launcher, or a mod that allows you to switch it on and of, if you don't know), events will have extra interface stuff in the upper right hand corner. You can highlight over the question mark icon that appears which will give you information about the event, such as its ID, which might help with identifying where it came from. In my case, I always have "VIET" as a prefix for VIET's events so they're easy to identify. I've attached a screenshot below as an example, you can see in this particular event the ID is VIETmisc.0001.

20240328213526_1.jpg

• 2Like
Reactions:

I'm holding a quick contest/survey for VIET that could literally take you less than a minute to do. Why? All you need to do is give me one interesting word!

The contest will close around April 24, 2024 at 11:00 PM. A minor VIET update, to be released during or shortly after VIET's ModCon segment on April 27th, will feature events based on the selected, winning words.

For instance, if your word was "guffaw," then I'd make an event where a character guffaws. Words will be chosen based on how interesting they are (such as being amusing, thought provoking, etc.) and if I can make a good event with it.

This is just a little contest for fun, to see what funny words my fellow scribes can script, and to promote VIET in the lead up to VIET's ModCon segment. However, as an incentive to participate, if I select your word, and you're on the discord server for my mods, you'll be given a special role for your trouble.

• 3Like
Reactions:
VIET TEASER FOR... SOMETHING?

What's this? VIET has a teaser for once and not RICE? Odd....

Also odd how VIET has a segment in this year's ModCon, too.

Maybe we'll get an answer to why this Saturday April 27, 2024 around 11:50 AM on SnapStrategy's YouTube channel during the VIET and RICE segment on Day 2 of ModCon.

CCdCW7Q.jpg

• 3Love
Reactions:
Version 1.12.1 "Manetho" (Released 4/27/24) New
NwkwwYS.jpg

ANNOUNCEMENT: VIET'S FIRST EVENT PACK!

I'm happy to reveal VIET's very first Event Pack, Scripts and Scribes! VIET’s first official event pack, planned for release later in 2024 and inspired by vanilla’s event packs, will explore the themes of language, writing, and maps. Main features include:
  • 100+ new events on the themes of language, writing, and maps​
  • New decisions and activities, like library visits​
  • New traits, Cartographer and Bibliophile, the latter which can be improved over time​

Manetho was a priest and historian from Ptolemaic Egypt in the 3rd century BCE. He wrote the Aegyptiaca (History of Egypt), which chronicles the reigns of the Pharaohs of ancient Egypt. Though the Aegyptiaca only survives in scattered fragments in the works of later ancient historians, and despite its flawed information, it remains a valuable source on ancient Egypt for modern scholars.

In honor of ModCon, I am releasing a small update that includes 8 events based on the winners of the VIET Word Contest.

New events added in this version: 8

• Added 8 events based on words from the winner of the VIET Word Contest for ModCon
  • The cave exploration event (VIETmisc.0092) is now a travel event
  • Miscellaneous bugfixes