[MOD] VIET Events for CK3 - a Flavor and Immersion Event Mod

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Version 1.8.2 "Oblivion" (Released 12/30/22)
xb3Y3bN.jpg

VIET 1.8.2 "Oblivion" has been released!
Steam Workshop Download | Github Manual Download | Paradox Mods Download

Discord Server | Website

Happy New Year everyone! With this update, VIET's largest ever which adds in over 101 events, VIET has now officially passed a milestone of over 1000 events! Thank you all as always. Future VIET updates will hopefully focus on increased integration of the memories mechanic, among other tweaks and additions as always.

New events added in this version: 101

• Added Dream of Oblivion event chain (14 events)
  • Added events with the following themes:
    • 22 Spices and Herbs A-L*
    • 3 Rosewater*
    • 11 Oblivion Inspired*
    • 18 Generic (old)*
    • 7 Bread*
    • 7 Rose*
    • 5 Generic
    • 6 revolving around new vanilla animations
  • Added county events with the following themes:
    • 4 Oblivion Inspired*
    • 2 Generic (old)*
    • 2 Generic
  • Decisions to Follow the Strange Trails and Meet with Qi Ma the Liar are now in a separate file
  • Fixed errors with friend/rival progress
  • Fixed characters not spawning with proper birthsigns and other traits when running VIET with EK2
  • Miscellaneous bugfixes

*Adapted from VIET for CK2

PbETKsp.jpg

31pqvlS.jpg

Just to clarify, I am all for the roleplay element not only in CK3, but in every different game Paradox releases. I abhorr min/maxing as I find that transforms the game into a giant spreadsheet for one to drily analyse. That's boring as hell! :)

My mod designs go entirely in the narrative, role playing spirit but I really enjoy events to cause some sort of impact in the gameplay. That is all.

The important bottom line is you have me as a very happy user of your mods. Congrats on your work!

Have a great 2023!

No worries, I know I've a pretty unorthodox design philosophy even compared to other pro-roleplaying/anti-min-max types, but I'm glad others are still able to enjoy it regardless! And happy new year to you as well!

• 7Like
  • 2Love
Reactions:
Version 1.8.3 "William of Ockham" (Released 1/31/23)
3hfbhs6.jpg

VIET 1.8.3 "William of Ockham" has been released!

Discord Server | Website

“It is pointless to do with more what can be done with fewer.”
- William of Ockham (1287–1347 CE), English theologian, scholar, and friar best known as a proponent for the concept that would later be known as Ockham’s Razor

This is a tiny update with a few new events for VIET. Future plans are for an update to properly integrate the memories mechanic for some events as appropriate.

New events added in this version: 7

• Added 7 simple events (two sentences max)
  • Added a couple French variations of event backgrounds
  • Miscellaneous bugfixes

mA1IXEY.jpg

• 5Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Announcement on the VIET/RICE Update to the 1.9 Patch/Tours & Tournaments

I'll get the most important thing out of the way first: VIET & RICE are currently not compatible with the new patch/DLC. Even though they may seem to work at first, do not attempt to play with VIET/RICE unless you know what you're doing as it will be buggy and may result in CTDs.

Now, it's time to come out clean. I've been part of a grand conspiracy, one hidden from most: I actually have already been working on updating much of VIET and RICE to 1.9/T&T before today. Many thanks to Paradox Interactive for giving me the opportunity to do so.

Unfortunately, given the extensive rework to activities, even this was not enough time to finish updating by today. I'm hoping to finish by the end of the month, regardless, and will keep you posted.

• 7Love
  • 4Like
Reactions:
Announcement on the VIET/RICE Update to the 1.9 Patch/Tours & Tournaments

I'll get the most important thing out of the way first: VIET & RICE are currently not compatible with the new patch/DLC. Even though they may seem to work at first, do not attempt to play with VIET/RICE unless you know what you're doing as it will be buggy and may result in CTDs.

Now, it's time to come out clean. I've been part of a grand conspiracy, one hidden from most: I actually have already been working on updating much of VIET and RICE to 1.9/T&T before today. Many thanks to Paradox Interactive for giving me the opportunity to do so.

Unfortunately, given the extensive rework to activities, even this was not enough time to finish updating by today. I'm hoping to finish by the end of the month, regardless, and will keep you posted.
Thank you for the update.

Reactions:
The news of your mod got me really excited. It could be a treasure trove of events ideal for role-playing characters. I'm actually so excited that I started to read through each update post to get a glympse of what kind of events you made.

I already know from the discussion that you take traits into consideration in the event options. However, I'd like to point out there's a small little feature in CK3 very close to my heart, which I'm unsure you implemented - please correct me if I'm wrong.

The actual text of the vanilla event itself changes based on:
  • character traits
  • relationships the player's character have with mentioned NPCs
  • cultural or regional idiosyncracies
For example, event where you visit another character on a hunt has this to say:
  • if you hate the character: "i hope this vile churl doesn't ruin the hunt"
  • if you like the character: "i'm looking forward to hunting with him/her"
Could you clarify to what extend do you use this changing-text feature?

The news of your mod got me really excited. It could be a treasure trove of events ideal for role-playing characters. I'm actually so excited that I started to read through each update post to get a glympse of what kind of events you made.

I already know from the discussion that you take traits into consideration in the event options. However, I'd like to point out there's a small little feature in CK3 very close to my heart, which I'm unsure you implemented - please correct me if I'm wrong.

The actual text of the vanilla event itself changes based on:
  • character traits
  • relationships the player's character have with mentioned NPCs
  • cultural or regional idiosyncracies
For example, event where you visit another character on a hunt has this to say:
  • if you hate the character: "i hope this vile churl doesn't ruin the hunt"
  • if you like the character: "i'm looking forward to hunting with him/her"
Could you clarify to what extend do you use this changing-text feature?

I don't use differences based on traits a lot in the body of my events, though I use it sometimes for event options (as in sometimes options are unlocked by traits, though I use options unlocked by reaching certain skill thresholds a lot more). Mainly to save time because I'm lazy, and functionally it often wouldn't change much. The others I also don't do too much, again mainly to save time when writing and coding the events and because the way I design my events, they're meant to be somewhat agnostic to those. I do have a number of cultural/regional unique events, though.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I don't use differences based on traits a lot in the body of my events

Do you accept pull requests with changes to your event body, then? I wonder if I could pitch in with some different text based on relations, traits or whatnot.
You said yourself in one of the updates that you wish now to integrate events better into the game rather than create more. 1000 is surely enough, isn't it? :D

Reactions:
Do you accept pull requests with changes to your event body, then? I wonder if I could pitch in with some different text based on relations, traits or whatnot.
You said yourself in one of the updates that you wish now to integrate events better into the game rather than create more. 1000 is surely enough, isn't it? :D

If you want to offer some code on GitHub, please feel more than free! But I won't guarantee I'll integrate them or even make use of much of them depending on how I feel about them, and I'd have to check through each change to see whether it fits what I want for my mod. I'm at no shortage of events (I have thousands of event text written for CK2/CK3 I've saved in various files over the years that'll never see the light of day since it's just so much), but do feel free to show me what you do have.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Version 1.9.0 "Xuanzang" (Released 5/17/23)
AqpLmVF.jpg

VIET 1.9.0 has been updated to Patch 1.9/Tours & Tournaments!

Discord Server | Website

I wish to go and find out the truth, and so I decided to travel to the West at the risk of my life in order to seek for the teachings of which I have not yet heard
- Xuanzang (602-664 CE), Chinese Buddhist pilgrim, traveler, scholar, and translator

VIET 1.9.0 "Xuanzang" brings the mod up to date with the latest vanilla patch. Thanks all for your patience! Remember, you may need to unsubscribe and resubscribe for mods to update properly (multiple times if needed). The highlight of VIET 1.9.0 is updating old activities to utilize T&T's new activity system. 10 new travel events have also been added – more will come over time, including adapting old travel-themed events to the travel system.

Lastly, if you have time and haven't done so already, please check out the 2023 VIET/RICE Survey! Your feedback is greatly appreciated.

New events added in this version: 10

• Updated to vanilla patch 1.9 “Lance”
  • Added 10 new travel events
  • Adapted old activities to the new system
  • Added nickname descriptions for VIET’s nicknames
  • VIET’s event backgrounds are now based on your character’s location, not capital
  • Reduced/rebalanced the costs of various decisions and activities
  • Miscellaneous bugfixes

UUKqjyY.jpg

GDWKHbu.jpg

• 8Love
  • 2Like
Reactions:
VIET/RICE 2023 Survey Results

Another year, another survey - with over 862 responses, that's almost quadruple last year, so thank you all who participated! Your feedback was diverse, thoughtful, and plentiful, and it will be valuable in helping shape the future of VIET and RICE. If you are interested, you can see the survey results, and some discussion of them at the link above!

In the meanwhile, as you've noticed, teasers are already dropping for the next RICE flavor pack. I am happy to announce a reward for the person who sifts through my tricky clues, and correctly guesses or has guessed it first this time and explains/explained their guess correctly*: the chance to add an easter egg character of your choosing to RICE if you want.**

* ʸᵒᵘ ᵈᵒ ⁿᵒᵗ ⁿᵉᵉᵈ ᵃ ˡᵒⁿᵍ ᵉˣᵖˡᵃⁿᵃᵗᶦᵒⁿ ⁻ ʲᵘˢᵗ ˢᵒᵐᵉᵗʰᶦⁿᵍ ᵗʰᵃᵗ ˢʰᵒʷˢ ʸᵒᵘ ᵘⁿᵈᵉʳˢᵗᵃⁿᵈ ʷʰᵃᵗ ᵗʰᵉ ᶜˡᵘᵉ⁽ˢ⁾ ʳᵉᶠᵉʳ ᵗᵒ
** ᵀʰᶦˢ ˢᵗᵃᵗᵉᵐᵉⁿᵗ ᵈᵒᵉˢ ⁿᵒᵗ ᶜᵒⁿᶠᶦʳᵐ ⁿᵒʳ ᵈᵉⁿʸ ʷʰᵉᵗʰᵉʳ ᵃⁿʸᵒⁿᵉ ʰᵃˢ ᶜᵒʳʳᵉᶜᵗˡʸ ᵍᵘᵉˢˢᵉᵈ ᵗʰᵉ ⁿᵉˣᵗ ᶠˡᵃᵛᵒʳ ᵖᵃᶜᵏ ʸᵉᵗ ᵒʳ ⁿᵒᵗ

• 7Like
Reactions:
As the next big thing for VIET/RICE will be a slavic flavour addition, I suggest the caranthanian inthronement of the duke as a unique event for duchy of caranthania:
This was a ritual of slavic (most likely pagan) origin which involved putting the duke-to-be on the „dukes stone“, an old roman column capital and questioning him about his abilities to be duke. When we was ritually found worthy of the position, we has then enthroned on the dukes chair on a field.
The practice was continued even when german-speaking nobles attained the title of duke of caranthania. Until the 12th century the ritual was conducted in the slavic tongue. The last time it was conducted at all was in the 15th century so it lasted almost until CK3s end date. I can‘t think of a cooler piece of flavour for the caranthanian culture.

The event could only be held if the specific county containing Karnburg is controlled. The questioning was traditionally done by a farmer, and the duke-to-be also wore the clothes of a farmer during the ceremony. These circumstances would make for a cool sense of location and a visually evocative event, as the player would see their normally nobly dressed up PC in simple farmers clothing during the event.

Last edited:
  • 4Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Version 1.9.1 "Ibn Jubayr" (Released 8/5/23)

“One of the astonishing things that is talked of is that though the fires of discord burn between the two parties, Muslim and Christian, two armies of them may meet and dispose themselves in battle array, and yet Muslim and Christian travelers will come and go between them without interference... The soldiers engage themselves in their war, while the people are at peace.”
– Ibn Jubayr (1145-1217), Andalusian pilgrim, traveler, and poet

This minor update to VIET includes a few more travel events, and other tweaks and fixes. I wanted to get something small out before the Wards & Wardens DLC.

New events added in this version: 10

• Added 10 new travel events
  • VIET game rules now have categories, including a VIET category
  • VIET now supports the Gamerule Gadget mod
  • Intro event for activities now fires for only VIET’s activities
  • Decreased the chances travel events will fire
  • Fixed Jon Battle-Born event not accounting for the new blademaster lifestyle trait changes
  • Fixed gold costs for Bear attack county event options not making sense
  • Miscellaneous bugfixes

mrv591g.jpg

• 4Love
  • 2Like
Reactions:
Version 1.10.0 "Childhood" (Released 8/22/23)
RVwBLuS.jpg

VIET has been updated to Wards & Wardens / Patch 1.10!

Discord Server | Website

“It is a wise father that knows his own child.”
- William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice

The VIET 1.10.0 "Childhood" update includes - for the first time ever in VIET CK3 - over 20 childhood events! Immense thanks to Paradox for providing me early access! Remember you may need to unsubscribe and resubscribe (multiple times if necessary) for mods to mods properly.

New events added in this version: 20

• Updated to vanilla patch 1.10.0
  • Added 20 Childhood events
  • Miscellaneous bugfixes

OLv3mSj.jpg

ZsmyIr9.jpg

eQwmDat.jpg

• 4Love
  • 2Like
Reactions:
Version 1.10.1 "Starfield" (Released 9/13/23)
7Q1OCEQ.jpg

VIET 1.10.1 0"Starfield" has been released!

Discord Server | Website

“May I be like the stars and you the moon,
Shining and brightening each other night after night.”
- Fan Chengda, Chinese poet, official, and geographer (1126 - 1193 CE)

This update commemorates the 3rd anniversary of the release of VIET for CK3. It's hard to believe it's been three years – thanks all for your support as always!

This update brings the total number of events in VIET to 1066 events, and features VIET's first Grand Event, concerning the 1006 Supernova. Grand Events trigger for a large group of rulers at the same time, and represent notable world events or trends. More will follow in future VIET updates.

Remember you may need to unsubscribe and resubscribe (multiple times if necessary) for mods to update properly.

New events added in this version: 18

• Added 1 Grand Event about the 1006 Supernova
  • Added events with the following themes:
    • 12 Astronomy
    • 5 Miscellaneous*
  • Added a couple new African variants of event backgrounds
  • Added icon for the Oblivion dream memory
  • Qi Ma now has the eccentric trait
  • Rebalanced frequency of events
  • Miscellaneous bugfixes

tXQKWbB.jpg

CP8xIaO.jpg

RUc4p79.jpg

• 5Love
  • 3Like
Reactions:
Version 1.11.0 "Qanat" (Released 11/11/23)
qyhwEls.jpg

VIET has been updated to Patch 1.11/Legacy of Persia!

Discord Server | Website

“Water is everywhere around you, but you see only barriers that keep you from water.”
– Rumi (1207 - 1273 CE), Persian poet, scholar, Sufi mystic

VIET 1.11.0 brings the mod up to date with Legacy of Persia. Immense thanks to Paradox for providing me early access! Remember you may need to unsubscribe and resubscribe (multiple times if necessary) for mods to mods properly.

New events added in this version: 8

• Added 8 water-themed events
  • Slightly reduced the chances of travel events
  • Miscellaneous bugfixes

tMpWMfb.jpg

y4MRNsZ.jpg

OhNxpxx.jpg

• 4Love
  • 2Like
Reactions:
Version 1.11.1 "Chestnuts" (Released 12/25/23)

“If you like the nut, crack it.”
- Scottish proverb

This is a small update for VIET that I whipped quickly for Christmas. For those who celebrate, I hope you're enjoying the holiday season. Although its been said many times, many ways, a very Merry Christmas to you!

• Added 7 nut flavor events
  • Miscellaneous bugfixes

6RtUv8h.jpg

• 4Like
  • 2Love
Reactions:
Version 1.11.2 "Atlas Mountains" (Released 1/24/24)

"I have seen difficult roads and much snow [in other parts of the world], but I never saw a road more difficult than that."
- Ibn Battuta (1304-1369 CE), Moroccan explorer, on traveling in the Atlas Mountains of North Africa

In honor of El Tyranos' effort in adding new North African clothes and assets in the first content creator DLC, this small update adds in 7 events about the desert.

• Added 7 desert themed events
  • Added new desert event background
  • Random bard from the traveling bard travel event now has randomized age
  • Changed a few older travel events to use the Travel Danger event theme
  • Fixed sandstorm event happening outside of deserts
  • Fixed No Sympathy for Servants modifier having positive rather than negative effects
  • Miscellaneous bugfixes

WnUjZTr.jpg

• 5Love
Reactions: