• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hey guys, I'm doing a playthrough with a Germanic tribe, forming Francia, it's really great for now.

I'm wondering about the Tree tho, this one :

1652243116261.png

Isn't it weird that in order to choose Salians triumphant you have to do both Salian and Ripuarian path while to get Ripuarian you need to do only Ripuarian path?
Or am I misunderstanding something?

Reactions:
What kind of mechanics do the people who want to add mechanics want? I kinda feel some areas like nomads for example could use an overhaul.
I'm clueless, if its technically possible via modding (and in case it is, whether the AI could cope with it...), but I always dreamed of ships needing manpower. I would normally not expect that such a massive change is possible at all, but I vaguely remember that in the pre-2.0 interface there was even an unused box for a manpower requirement when building ships...

The reason why I think this would be a good idea is that manpower is a bit of an underused ressource anyway and a higher price tag for maintaining both a large fleet and army (which was historically rare in that times - think of Sparta vs. Athen or Rome vs. Carthage...all of them focussed on one sphere)

• 1Like
Reactions:
Hello, playing with Epirus. The mission to unite the Italiotes under Epirote rule not appearing anymore (since the last patch if I am not wrong) and Pyrrhus returning with gold but no legion: are these 2 intended changes or bugs ?

Hello, playing with Epirus. The mission to unite the Italiotes under Epirote rule not appearing anymore (since the last patch if I am not wrong) and Pyrrhus returning with gold but no legion: are these 2 intended changes or bugs ?
I just checked and they work for me still? If you're using any mod that isn't Invictus or Better UI, pls disable them. In order to get the mission tree to unite the Italiotes under Epirote rule, you need to finish the first mission tree, same as vanilla.

Reactions:
Thanks Snowlet. No other mods activated. Regarding the mission tree to unite the Italiotes under Epirote rule, alright I though it was an option from the start, my bad. And I will restart a campaign to check if Pyrrhos still returns without a legion with him.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I want to share an observation I have made while playing with the mod (normal difficulty and additionally the mod removing the AI loyalty cheat when provinces rebel, Dementive's Chraracter Focus tree and ImpInv. Utilities one and Improved Buildings 2.0) regarding the behaviour of especially the Roman AI - Rome has, caused by their aggressive conquest, a lot provincial rebellions to deal with and fairly often these rebellions are sucessful in a certain pattern: Rome sends in an army, captures back one territory and then peace is signed, leaving the rebels with the rest of province as free state.

My gut feeling is that Roman AI might be a bit too willing to accept those peace offer the rebels always send after the first territory gets reconquered (returning that sole territory for peace). After the forced peace period Rome usually DoWs on those states within a few years again and includes them in their empire again, but this doesn't feel like an ideal behaviour. I would expect Rome to be a bit more enduring in those small-scale wars - unless of course they are hit on the worng feet, but for that explanation those behaviour happens far too regularly.

• 2Like
Reactions:
I want to share an observation I have made while playing with the mod (normal difficulty and additionally the mod removing the AI loyalty cheat when provinces rebel, Dementive's Chraracter Focus tree and ImpInv. Utilities one and Improved Buildings 2.0) regarding the behaviour of especially the Roman AI - Rome has, caused by their aggressive conquest, a lot provincial rebellions to deal with and fairly often these rebellions are sucessful in a certain pattern: Rome sends in an army, captures back one territory and then peace is signed, leaving the rebels with the rest of province as free state.

My gut feeling is that Roman AI might be a bit too willing to accept those peace offer the rebels always send after the first territory gets reconquered (returning that sole territory for peace). After the forced peace period Rome usually DoWs on those states within a few years again and includes them in their empire again, but this doesn't feel like an ideal behaviour. I would expect Rome to be a bit more enduring in those small-scale wars - unless of course they are hit on the worng feet, but for that explanation those behaviour happens far too regularly.
This is what happens when you turn off the AI loyalty cheat.

This is what happens when you turn off the AI loyalty cheat.
Hmm, I'm aware that only the removal of that bonus gives room for this behaviour to appear at all, but I'm abit puzzled that only Rome seems to have those problems now. In vanilla and earlier playtroughs with Invictus, Seleukids were prone to almost collapse, but thats no more - and Rome was a lot less affected. Also said behaviour doesn't only occur in moments where there are multiple wars and they really struggle - I'm allied with Rome (or guaranteed by them, depending if they are under or above the 500-territory-treshold) and they call me into those defensive wars, I send my troops over and help them. They usually even have there own troops around and could easily take the entire territory back immediately (not talking of my troops helping as well), but they peace out too soon - which feels like another oddity in the light that a part of the Roman steamroll mechanic is that it is easier for them to take opponents out because of some extra bonus in peace negotiations caused by the Antagonist modifier. Aside from the dealy in getting the territories back later wars I see this as a source of unnecessary AE.

I just want to rule out that something got broken with the latest changes to Rome, but of course I trust you guys in the end, because you know the odds and ends of modding (and so I don't know how deep things like the willingness for peacing out can be edited at all), while I'm just playing your great mod :)

• 2Like
Reactions:
DD46: Character interactions, expanded revolts and more!
Dev Diary 46: Character interactions, expanded revolts and more!

Salvete! Today we'll be talking about some highly desired features including expanded revolts, character interactions, AI schemes, some minor GUI changes and finally new loading tips. To begin i'll hand you over to Dementive.

Dementive here with a lot of changes that I've been making in all areas of the game.

First of all, changes have been made to how revolts will happen. Now, when a province revolts, if there are any other provinces in the same region or bordering the initial revolting province with less than 15 loyalty, they will also revolt and join the war. This will lead to less frequent but larger revolts. The AI balancing for this is tricky, so for the AI the larger revolts will only happen when the country has more than 400 territories.

A lot of new character interactions have been made. These include:
  1. Offer Citizenship - If your ruler is a friend with a foreign character who is a minor character and not married to anyone important, you can start an event chain to try to woo them over to your country. This has a lot of limitations to it so it can’t be abused, but it should be a fun way to get some characters every so often.
  2. Force Retirement - If a character is a corrupt office holder but also has sufficient loyalty, you can give them a holding to “retire on”. Additional incentives can be added to the offer to help persuade the character, but they may reject anyway because of their personality.
  3. Ruler Retirement - If your ruler is old enough and incompetent enough, an interaction to enter retirement may be gained. This also has a lot of limits so it can’t be abused and has a high cost in both stability and political influence.
  4. Suggest Training - If there is a character that is part of the ruler's family that is between the ages of 16 and 35 and is doing nothing at all, an interaction to “Suggest Training” will be available. This will allow the ruler to suggest that this worthless character who is doing nothing will train him\herself to try to better a certain attribute.
  5. Offer Protection - If your nation has the “Power Diplomacy” oratory invention, it unlocks a special character interaction that is used on the ruler of small foreign nations. There is a diplomatic interaction that is very similar to this, but this is meant to be more of a character level interaction.
C5UtyDbAHHRDUhQ1rWu1vst2ca9L79w6sfmFO-o30ppSarf5NyW5tI-zOeN49MO5ui2v_pjqeDcqpOkHFTRmZoem3HzFChJdCxEf-lEm3YckhAhKw9DeMs4nUKkg68JZxk99ZVpR24Gtaik2Cw
(Image says feudatory but it actually becomes a client state.)
(Also worth nothing that the AI is generally a lot more efficient at doing these character interactions so they should be more competitive compared to players.)

A lot of new character ambitions have also been added, with a focus on making holdings more dynamic and exciting. Schemes are only picked by AI characters, but don’t be fooled - they have a big impact on the way your game plays out. I wanted to make it so that granting a character a holding will have more interesting effects. There were already a few existing schemes like this in the base game, such as “invest in mining” and “invest in agriculture”, but now, depending on the personality of the holder of a holding, there are a lot of new schemes that they may start to push their personal interests. These new ambitions include:
  1. Assimilate Pops in Holding - holding owner will attempt to assimilate some pops to his culture depending on his zeal and traits.
  2. Convert Pops in Holding - Same as above, but with conversion instead.
  3. Invest in Port - If a character has a coastal holding city with a port, they may attempt to expand the port.
  4. Exploit Populace - If a character is corrupt or has bad traits (such as cruel), they may start a scheme to exploit the pops in a holding. This will reduce output and potentially kill pops in the holding while giving the holder increased wealth.
  5. Increase Statesmanship - Characters that are office holders will now have a chance to start a scheme to try to increase their statesmanship. This is a very needed change, because statesmanship is often very low in the late game, so this should help bring it up for some characters with certain traits/attributes.
  6. Increase Ruler Popularity - Basically the same as the increased legitimacy scheme but popularity instead. This one and the next one are set with a character interaction on the ruler.
  7. Decrease Ruler Corruption - Travel the realm and show the benevolence of the ruler for a chance to decrease corruption.
  8. Prove Legitimacy - This is a vanilla character interaction for rulers but I’ve added the chance to get the new Invictus bloodlines to it. If your nation is in a Greek or Indian culture group and have no bloodlines yet, there is a small chance of gaining a new bloodline based on your culture with this interaction.
  • Pregnancy trait has been removed, it now uses a base game GUI function instead, this is better for performance. An icon and description of the pregnancy will now show up when clicked on a pregnant character instead.
  • The GUI for select target character and select target province have been updated. These show up when character interactions like Arrange Marriage or Revoke Holding are used. I’ve added more info to them to make decision making more informed.
abTXevVpusOkNO0i0XDOXcWfAQ7sBrpjAyiO-0aqpA1u4-f5bFwJX-4i8NCi4KlQGxSv-7YIYLbY8xpM5MNOXJmjiCaD-tYuMtpqJoXQ_paiweteYz-i7SDI0ntXpgfEGEpLjAI9hiqnDJ5y1g

7nxv-oBQPfxoyYsONDvQxFVz2ZjytFRv4XeAy0NjyLJ30Jnt4Lt5fzIdhvBO-dlnHkIX5CDuThqwezRUzIyin3EDD07VUK96oFqahsix2Jm8cqruxYTxQF-PLNKzAPS8J-pN9mVOGv1FHK6ERQ

Salvete omnes! My name is Zorgoball, and it’s a pleasure to meet everyone. Perhaps you have seen my name pop up in previous Dev Diaries; I’ve been helping out with writing some of the localization for the mod since January, mostly with the incredible mission trees and events you’ll get to play in our next update, but today I am here to briefly discuss a tiny little thing we have added; more loading tips!

In the grand scheme of things, loading tips are a very minor addition, but can absolutely add more flavor - a humorous anecdote from a Roman farming manual or a sharp rhetorical question by a grouchy philosopher goes a long way in setting the tone of the day-to-day world. We have basically doubled the amount of loading tips that you will now see when starting up the game, choosing from a wide variety of texts written during and around Imperator: Rome’s time period. You will be treated to selections, both prose and poetry, from all around the world, including but not limited to;
  • The Irish epic Táin Bó Cúailnge
  • The Edicts of Ashoka
  • A True Story, The Satyricon, The Golden Ass, The Argonautica
  • The Georgics and Eclogues of Virgil
  • The Dhammapada
  • Authors like Sallust, Vitruvius, Julius Caesar, Cicero, etc. etc.
And so on. This was tremendously fun to do, small yet impactful feeling - I hope it helps to set the mood as you get ready to write your own stories!

Last edited:
  • 21Like
  • 9Love
Reactions:
Dementive here with a lot of changes that I've been making in all areas of the game.

First of all, changes have been made to how revolts will happen. Now, when a province revolts, if there are any other provinces in the same region or bordering the initial revolting province with less than 15 loyalty, they will also revolt and join the war. This will lead to less frequent but larger revolts. The AI balancing for this is tricky, so for the AI the larger revolts will only happen when the country has more than 400 territories.
I like this mechanic :) I just wonder how this goes together with the AI loyalty boost in other provinces in case of rebellion- is it kept and the check for "co-rebellious" provinces is made before the boost is applied? Or is it removed/reworked completely? I'm just asking because otherwise I can't see how that interesting scenario can ever fire.

Offer Citizenship - If your ruler is a friend with a foreign character who is a minor character and not married to anyone important, you can start an event chain to try to woo them over to your country. This has a lot of limitations to it so it can’t be abused, but it should be a fun way to get some characters every so often.
Does this replace the old recruitment interaction (which requires friendship as well, is limited by target loyalty and impossible to be used against Admirals/Generals/Governors/Rulers and lets you incur some AE) or rather complement it for cases where the loyalty of the target is too high?

Reactions:
I like this mechanic :) I just wonder how this goes together with the AI loyalty boost in other provinces in case of rebellion- is it kept and the check for "co-rebellious" provinces is made before the boost is applied? Or is it removed/reworked completely? I'm just asking because otherwise I can't see how that interesting scenario can ever fire.
So the extra rebellions are fired before the loyalty boost and they don't have a cascading effect since the extra rebellions are manual creations and don't trigger the on_rebellion effect. This also means the AI loyalty boost is only applied once with the initial rebellion.
Does this replace the old recruitment interaction (which requires friendship as well, is limited by target loyalty and impossible to be used against Admirals/Generals/Governors/Rulers and lets you incur some AE) or rather complement it for cases where the loyalty of the target is too high?
It compliments it but it may be tweaked depending on user feedback once those features are out.

Reactions:
So once again I tried everything I could to unlock the Armeno-Pontic Military Traditions as Kios/Pontus. There's no fathomable way I suppose. It's not tied to any of the mithridatic events if I understand the code in the event file dhe_mithridates correctly. I can't embrace anything else then hellenic traditions from the Pontic people. From any anatolian culture I can't embrace anything of course. Here's the tooltip for the tradition:
Pontus Screenie 3.jpg

Am I missing something? This is driving me insane. I tested integrating different cultures, did all the pontus flavour stuff, like making sinope my capital via decision etc.

So once again I tried everything I could to unlock the Armeno-Pontic Military Traditions as Kios/Pontus. There's no fathomable way I suppose. It's not tied to any of the mithridatic events if I understand the code in the event file dhe_mithridates correctly. I can't embrace anything else then hellenic traditions from the Pontic people. From any anatolian culture I can't embrace anything of course. Here's the tooltip for the tradition:
View attachment 840475
Am I missing something? This is driving me insane. I tested integrating different cultures, did all the pontus flavour stuff, like making sinope my capital via decision etc.
I just verified (I had saved games with abas cultures) that if you change culture through events those military traditions are not unlocked and you cannot unlock them through cultural decision either since it is not available. but if you don't change culture and stay as proponent if you can integrate some anatolian culture and unlock it through cultural decision.
What I don't know is that yes, because of the events, you should have that cultural tradition unlocked.

PD: Trying other nations of Anatolia, this tree of military traditions is not unlocked in any of them, which in theory should be unlocked or that is what I understand according to the code of that tradition.

PD2: Trying to disable the military tradition for the Grepo-pontic primary culture that appear in the tradition code and now if it is enabled for the Anatolian cultures, there seems to be a conflict when it is assigned to a specific culture and not to a cultural group.

Last edited:
So you're saying we are missing something? :D Cause there's no way there's a tradition that is not unlockable at all right?
I think it is a conflict with the primary Pontic culture (in the code it comes out as Greco-pontic) since the requirements are similar to the rest.

this is the code and unless i'm missing something it should be available for any anatolian culture, and if you delete the Greco-pontic primary culture section it's already enabled for any anatolian culture
allow = {
trigger_if = {
limit = { country_culture_group = anatolian }
custom_tooltip = {
text = "began_with_tradition_group"
}
country_culture_group = anatolian
}
trigger_if = {
limit = { primary_culture = greco_pontic }
custom_tooltip = {
text = "began_with_tradition_group"
}
primary_culture = greco_pontic
}
trigger_else = {
custom_tooltip = {
text = "tradition_unlock_requirement_cultural_decision"
has_variable = anatolian_influence
}
}
}

Oh! So I guess they either mean "pontic" or "propontic" with that, but since both use the Hellenic traditions, it doesn't work. Maybe the mod author originally wanted to create a pontus' exclusive syncretic culture or sth.

Oh! So I guess they either mean "pontic" or "propontic" with that, but since both use the Hellenic traditions, it doesn't work. Maybe the mod author originally wanted to create a pontus' exclusive syncretic culture or sth.
The Greco-Pontic primary culture is the "Pontic" and if you start a game with a nation of that culture like Sinope you start with that tree of traditions unlocked and of course the Greek ones, the "Propontic" doesn't. The point is that it should be unlocked for the nations of the Anatolian cultural group, but for some reason it is not, a conflict is generated when it is enabled for the Pontic culture, because I removed that part of the code to test and so if it is enabled for the cultures from anatolia

The Greco-Pontic primary culture is the "Pontic" and if you start a game with a nation of that culture like Sinope you start with that tree of traditions unlocked and of course the Greek ones, the "Propontic" doesn't. The point is that it should be unlocked for the nations of the Anatolian cultural group, but for some reason it is not, a conflict is generated when it is enabled for the Pontic culture, because I removed that part of the code to test and so if it is enabled for the cultures from anatolia
I think it is a conflict with the primary Pontic culture (in the code it comes out as Greco-pontic) since the requirements are similar to the rest.

this is the code and unless i'm missing something it should be available for any anatolian culture, and if you delete the Greco-pontic primary culture section it's already enabled for any anatolian culture
The problem is that in the public build, the military tradition has two trigger_if, the second trigger_if should instead be trigger_else_if which should solve the issue.

• 1Like
Reactions: