• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Interesting not sure whether I would have taken that province. Astrakan is probably the only rich province in our reach and we could potentially get military access through Shirvan or one day diplo annex them. The other issue is that it is a lot of bad boy points for a wrong religion, wrong culture province without a land connection that doesn't necessarily have the biggest tax income.

Well that wasnt really what i was hoping for too...didnt think about that land connection thing either, tho military access compensates for that. :p We could possibly convert that province later on :p I just thought we could use a foothold near the golden horde:p Its just a matter of time until they cancel theyr vassalisation with trebizond then we can vassalize her and possibly diploannex later :p Anyway i was hoping for ducats actually whe i chose to go to war :D

Sir El'Won, what's our BB after that? Did we at least have a Casus Belli on Georgia?

Olav, who's up now? Right now, I'm going to assume that you just shifted things and we're still going to give Lurken his 24 hours to receive the latest save and respond that he's ready to play. If I am up, though, I won't be able to go tonight, but should be able to look at it and do my run maybe tomorrow afternoon. :cool:

I don't mind fighting minors to get some money out of them, but the war shouldn't destroy our reputation. Did we have a CB against them? If not, we got 6BB from this war, and that is a lot. However, it was bad luck that Georgia didn't have any money to give us.

As for Georgia (the province), it is dirt poor, wrong culture and religion, so it would be a big drain on our economy. In fact, I'm not sure if we should keep it. When we form the Safavid Empire, it would still be wrong culture and religion. What do you think - should we keep it, give it away in a peacedeal (-1 BB) or let it revolt away?

However, even if you were a bit dishonorable in diplomacy :)p), Sir El'WoN, you did a good turn. I would have thought a war against Georgia in the mountainous provinces would have been very tough, but you handled it very good. So don't be afraid to wage war in future turns. ;) Just be sure to get a province that we could have some use for (like a core or a CoT).

Lurken is up now, but since he hasn't posted in this thread yet, maybe you should take it Brian? Lurken: if Brian hasn't played yet, you could of course take your turn before him.

Roster - Round 1:

1. Olav (Done)
2. Lordling (Skip)
3. Dell19 (Done)
4. Sir El'WoN (Done)
5. Brian R (Up/on deck)
6. Lurken (Up/on deck)

Last edited:
Skip me. Going to have visitors today, so no time to play.

No worries - we're still alive. ;) Sure, we have to be careful in the coming years, but the BB will sooner or later be gone. Since we got to be a bit careful, it's more important than before to let someone else annex Ak Koyunlu. How we should solve this is a good question. The upcoming turns will be very interesting, in other words. :)

Take it away, Brian!

Lurken and Lordling: Do you have time to play in the upcoming week? Do you want to play your turns in round 1, or should we proceed to round 2?

Thrashing Mad: Still interested in playing a turn? If so, when?

Okay, I have the file. I have to be off right now, but I'll probably be able to give it a run later on today.

One question before I do begin though. If we are able to release that wrong culture/wrong religion province as a vassal, (Imereti, I think...) should I do so? Unless when I begin, I find the province is considerably wealthier than I thought, I'm on the fence as far as this is concerned too...

I also doubt we are able to release them. Georgia might have a good base tax value, but with -60% from wrong culture and religion, -15% from nationalism, and some from no land connection to capital, I think it won't be so weatlhy. :p

I'm really unsure wether to keep it or not. It might become really good later on, as it is a nice outpost to Golden Horde and Astrakhan. Now, however, it will slow down stability regain and research. In other words, we can keep it, but if it get captured in a war or rebels cause a lot of trouble up there I don't mind giving it away/letting it rebel away. :)

By the way, you might get a bad event during your turn Brian. If we do, remember to check if we are vassalized (and if we are, break the vassalization :))

I did check and the option was open to release Imereti in 1434, but its a wine province, and I tend to like those so I chose not to do so at this point. I figured I'd pass the buck on that to the next guy. ;)

Anyway, I've done my turn - it went pretty quickly, and well, somewhat less than smoothly (due to very much foreseen circumstances). In the long term I think we're in a good position though. I have to sort out my pictures, then I can tell more and pass on the save.

cannot wait for the report:D
Heh i continued my savegame i have on my disk and i had some pretty grim events :p Are events random every time game is loaded or are they rolled when u create the game and stay that way? lol sorry for my bad english i dont know proper words fro what i want to say :D

A Quiet Beginning​

1434, January 1.

Due to the indecision over the future of Black Sheep Turk interests on the Black Sea, I begin my tenure with an overview of the territorial and diplomatic situation. Kolkhis is not a wealthy province, particularly as we are little more than Sunni foreigners in the eyes of the native Georgian Orthodox population. Neverthless, the decision is made to continue governing the region a bit longer, as it is undecided whether the province may prove to have worth in the future.

14340101lp9.jpg
Our reputation is only slightly tarnished, nothing from which we cannot recover. Due to our strong treasury, I order some domestic merchants to compete with the foreigners in Azerbaijan. Their income is minimal, but may turn a profit in time. The rest of the treasury is kept locked away. It may be needed later.

I move our troops from Georgia and to Armenia and Tabriz, to defend our two more important fronts. We have about 21k, right at our manpower limit. Akkies to the west have 19k men.

1434, January 4.
Before long the Ottomans are calling for our aid in consolidating their empire. Though this will prove to be but a phony war for us, we enter as a show of support for our friends.

14340104hh2.jpg

Keeping our alliances intact... for the time being

1434, February 3.

There is some confusion as we receive notice that we have gained prestige for our ability to maintain peace in Armenia. We had previously believed that such missions would not be undertaken throughout the Empire. We hastily arrange to reestablish protection of Armenia, lest our advisors take it upon themselves to burden us with a far more formidable task, such as vassalizing the Uzbek Kaganate.

14340203ue3.jpg
14340203mxj3.jpg

WTF?

1434-35
Meanwhile the year progresses uneventfully. After the new year, we hear of victory for our alliance, as the Ottomans annex Candar. In 1436, the alliance calls again, this time in defense of Christians in the Balkans. We could not care less about these matters, yet due to our dear friendship with the Ottomans, we once again show our support.

14350215js9.jpg
14360222oy4.jpg

The end of one war; the beginning of another. Doesn't really affect us too much though...

Also, at some point in 1435 or 1436 this on and off warfare encourages our governor in Tabriz to Establish Cantonments, strengthening our manpower. (Meh.)

1436, April 2.
Meanwhile the Timurids, who have remained quiet, have been planning something. The bastards.

14360402io2.jpg

Here goes...

1437 comes and goes uneventfully. There is a rebellion in Kirkuk, which is easily put down. I just dully let time pass, waiting for the other shoe to drop from Jahan Shah. Until...

More to come.

A Turbulent End
1438, January 13.

14380113zu5.jpg

Holy crap!

AkKoyunlu has fallen into disarray. Seeing this as an important opportunity, I hope to find a way to seize upon it. Their alliance with the Timurids has long since ended. Yet, with our reputation still slightly tarnished, I cannot haphazardly invade.

So, instead I play friendly. Seeing our brethren in need, I offer them a small loan to help put down the rebellion. As I had hoped, they accept.

14380113lna1.jpg

I hope this gambit works...

14380113acip1.jpg

Oh, this is good...

1438, March 2-3.
Seeing that our neighbors have successfully quelled the rebellion in their capital, I send our collectors to call on our short-term loan. They are met with scorn.

14380302sx1.jpg

Oh, this is indeed so good...

This, of course cannot stand. Our troops at the ready (they just happened to be in Azerbaijan for maneuvers), we immediately declare war. They will pay for this insult. I send word to the Ottomans. Our steady support for their expansion pays off as they agree to invade from the west, while we march from the East. Albania dishonors. Screw them.

14380303ml7.jpg

What we've all been waiting for.

The war goes well. With the help of our Ottoman allies, we defeat their puny force and besiege both of their cities. Their new recruits are destroyed as they march off of the training grounds.

At some point in 1438 a traveller comes to Azerbaijan seeking to help us with our diplomacy at the cost of 100 ducats. As this is about 40% of our treasury, I tell him to stuff it.

1438, June 8.

Jahan Shah's coup succeeds and the crap hits the fan. Despite the harmless sounding results of this in the event box, this brings Kara Koyunlu into vassalization with the Timurid Empire. Stability drops to -3 as all of our royal marriages are broken, as well as our alliance with the Ottomans (damn!). I seek to restore the old way, but find that we have no diplomats. (shit!) It is very fortunate that I was able to bring the Ottomans into war with Ak Koyunlu before this happened.

14380608xa0.jpg

Oh, you rat bastards!

(I cropped the date out of that last picture by mistake, but the history says it happened in early June.)

Passing Leadership

1439, January 1.

14390101vq9.jpg

As my turn comes to a close, the war with Ak Koyunlu continues, sieges on both of their provinces halfway completed. King Jahan Shah is in Sivas, keeping that siege from falling under Ottoman control. How this war ends is up to the next player, but I would think the optimal result would be to gain Sivas while the Ottomans are in a position to annex the Akks. We must avoid letting the Ottos vassalize them though, as we'll then have little choice but for us to have to do the force-annex.

Our Badboy is roughly where it was when my turn began.

We are, at this point, still vassals of the Timurids. I didn't break in the final months of my turn, as I was hoping it would keep them quiet while the war continues, and as I was unsure if we'd need the diplomats to make a timely peace with Ak Koyunlu. Therefore, the next player, whoever that may be, will need to remember to break this vassalization when the time is right. Our economy will be crap until this happens. The alliance with the Ottomans will need to be restored as well.

Investment is currently entirely or almost entirely on Land Tech. Figured there was no point investing in stability as long as there is still a vassalage to break...

Note that Kolkhis is revolting and about ready to fall. Also, troop maintenance is back at 50%, as the majority of the Akkie army is beat.

The next player will also have the 1439 slider change to do. And if anybody knows how to get rid of the stupid missions, then we should do so. Otherwise, you'll have to do Keep Armenia again in February...

Roster, Round 1:
1. 1419-23 Olav (done)
2. 1424-28 Dell19 (done)
3. 1429-33 Sir El'Won (done)
4. 1434-39 Brian Roastbeef (done)
5. 1439- Lurken?, Lordling? (skipped) Thrashing Mad? (visitor)
Or on to Round 2?

http://www.savefile.com/files/1253687

Last edited:
I should be able to play tomorrow, although, given time zones, consider my next playable time about 30 hours from now. Easier that way.

And yes, I want in on Round 2.

Excellent! Ak Koyunlu will most certainly disappear from the map now. Having Jahan Shah at the siege in Sivas was good move; the Ottos can't steal our siege now, at least in Sivas. Regarding Sivas, it's a Turkish and sunni province, right? By the way, I mentioned in the rules not to forge a CB from a loan. ;) (But it was okay in this case, since getting rid of Ak Koyunlu is of most importance).

I must say I was surprised to see the mission message pop up. I'm 100% sure missions were turned off when I started the game.

The events you got was a bit bad. Getting vassalized is never a good thing. To break it, we need to be at 0 or +1 stability, so we are under the Timurids' control a little bit longer. It was also bad that we got -200 relation with Iraq. Maybe we should get it back up to +200, and try to annex them right on?

All in all this was a good turn. It is a relief to see the white sheeps going down. The report was a very enjoyable read; it must have taken ages to write it? (But if you have the time, please continue writing long reports :D)

Well, over to you Lordling. Remember to adjust our domestic policies. :) By the way, those who are signed up as regulars, will be playing in each round (so no need to "enlist" each time a new round starts).

I think I will be able to play later today.

Newsflash: My gf have decided to abduct me for the evening for me, unknown reasons and goals. I hope it will be good. Sorry to say so, maybe easier to start round 2?

I'm sure it will be good (as long as you're not going for shopping at the local mall ;)). We'll wait for Lordling, so round 1 will still be open. If you got time tomorrow after Lordling's done, you may of course still take your turn in round 1.